• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady-dude, Kerrang and Scuzz were shitty back in 2002 still :p it was all Soil and Disturbed and that one Slipknot video and Limp Bizkit lol.

I am actually really let down by the state of heavy music in the last ten years. My generation had a whole scene just for us. Yeah it was shitty but it was OURS. It seems all the kids listen to these days are handmedowns from a decade ago. Went to a rock club last year and was shocked and amused to see a bare-chested longhaired 18 year old thrashing about to Disturbed and mouthing all the words to Mad Davey Draiman's stupid rap. I was like "dude, get your own culture ffs..."

Where's the new shit? Where's this generation's Glassjaw or At the Drive In?

I like Disturbed, Slipknot and Limp Bizkit. I liked Kerrang and Scuzz in 2002. I'm really trying to get in to the new stuff but I can't even tell them apart, they just all sound the same - shit.

I'll just have to rely on older bands who have new albums out - most importantly Papa Roach new album beginning of next month squeeee!

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Everyone owns a pint glass they stole from the pub

Since were thief's should we have our hands cut off, or is the a fine line for theft ?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I like Disturbed, Slipknot and Limp Bizkit. I liked Kerrang and Scuzz in 2002. I'm really trying to get in to the new stuff but I can't even tell them apart, they just all sound the same - shit.

I'll just have to rely on older bands who have new albums out - most importantly Papa Roach new album beginning of next month squeeee!

You should totes come down to Camberley then. The Ag is a cheesy timewarp of flat beer and nu metal. To be fair, I do have fun when I go, I just despair at the same time. Cognitive dissonance is fun.

EDIT: I never did like those 'choose your own music' channels though, the trouble is that people (as a collective group) are dumb, and so crowd sourcing a playlist will end up with the same shit over and over and over again. I like a good curated playlist by someone who believes in what they are playing (which is why I can't get behind the radio either). MTV2 circa 2000-2004 was golden.

Mikeside

You should totes come down to Camberley then. The Ag is a cheesy timewarp of flat beer and nu metal. To be fair, I do have fun when I go, I just despair at the same time. Cognitive dissonance is fun.

I'm exactly the same on that - I enjoy going and having a laugh with mates, but I'm judging everyone else there for choosing to go to the AG of all places.

old-nu-metal GAF meetup?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You know what, maybe I will. Can I crash at yours?

I'm exactly the same on that - I enjoy going and having a laugh with mates, but I'm judging everyone else there for choosing to go to the AG of all places.

old-nu-metal GAF meetup?

Yeah, we should do this, it could be fun :D there is always room on my floor! We should sort something for the next couple of months once the flurry of meetups are over.

Kentpaul

What you're saying is that you've either stolen a pint glass from a pub or you're a nobody.

Actually, yeah - that's pretty much true.

I am a nobody, I will live and die and not be remembered.

the jeyde, musha and mike threesome is inbound on jaydes floor. I'm calling it already.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

the jeyde, musha and mike threesome is inbound on jaydes floor. I'm calling it already.

1. I have a bed you know, this isn't scotland
2. it would be a foursome because my missus would likely call dibs
3. no

Kentpaul

3. no

There is no such thing as a foursome. When there are more than 3 involved it turns an orgy/swingers party/Pounding session.

Yeah, we should do this, it could be fun :D there is always room on my floor! We should sort something for the next couple of months once the flurry of meetups are over.

Awesome, metal-Gaf unite!

I may have a free weekend end of November

3. no

Aww dammit

There is no such thing as a foursome. When there are more than 3 involved it turns an orgy/swingers party/Pounding session.

The Kent has a point

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Awesome, metal-Gaf unite!

I may have a free weekend end of November

Aww dammit

The Kent has a point

Wellllll.... lol

I won't be sleeping over, I live probably about 5-10 minutes away from Jedeye

Lol! I've never been described as metal before.

That's ok man, you can drive :p muhahahaha.

Where do you guys live anyway? Are you over Farnham way?

End of Nov sound pretty cool though, I'll see if we can get a group together for it. Safety in numbers and all of that!

Chinner

Banned

the real question is who will be giving and receiving. i can imagine musha putting on a strap on and doing jeyde in the arse.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ah so your a shag & bag then bail sorta guy..

Anyway.

Metallica is the only good metal music.

Meh. Metallica is barely heavy. It's been downgraded in light of advanced in shredding technology to hard rock :p I need my metal to cause some kind of deep emotional trauma through its heaviness. You shouldn't be able to drive while listening to heavy music.

Kentpaul

Meh. Metallica is barely heavy. It's been downgraded in light of advanced in shredding technology to hard rock :p I need my metal to cause some kind of deep emotional trauma through its heaviness. You shouldn't be able to drive while listening to heavy music.

Slayer then. Its heavy but still sounds decent.

Mikeside

End of Nov sound pretty cool though, I'll see if we can get a group together for it. Safety in numbers and all of that!

Drive? :( Can't we find a Junior Member to do that for us?

We're just over in Ash Vale - other side of the A331 from Aldershot.

End of November should be fine for me too.

The Kent has a point

Except he missed the obvious and brilliant alliteration of 'pounders party'.

Stubo

Behave :p regardless of how bad St Anger is you can't describe them as not metal. Thrash is still metal, for example.

If you guys check out Devin Townsend, Accelerated Evolution and Addicted are both amazing albums. The song Kingdom is awesome too :D

Kentpaul

the real question is who will be giving and receiving. i can imagine musha putting on a strap on and doing jeyde in the arse.

It will be a train.

Jayde > mike > musha

The sex centipede. All complete with heavy metal blasting in the backround.

Ah so your a shag & bag then bail sorta guy..

Anyway.

Metallica is the only good metal music.

Ha, ha ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha

Wellllll.... lol

When you say you guys did you mean me as well? I live North East London.

You're scared to be alone with me aren't you.

Agreed, I like Metallica but they're barely what I would class as metal. I like my ears to bleed a little.

Can I interest any of you in a certain Mr Devin Townsend?

If Qasiel was here he'd be all over this, loves the guy. I think he's ok, I'm not a massive fan of prog but I like the Addicted album.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
When you say you guys did you mean me as well? I live North East London.

You're scared to be alone with me aren't you.

Agreed, I like Metallica but they're barely what I would class as metal. I like my ears to bleed a little.

If Qasiel was here he'd be all over this, loves the guy. I think he's ok, I'm not a massive fan of prog but I like the Addicted album.

I meant Mike and his lady, I know you're from Laaaaahndon innit :p and I'm not scared of you at all. I am scared of what Chinner will say though!

RE Metallica - I think they're a bit like old horror movies. When it came out, Psycho was R rated and scandalous - these days it would barely be a PG. That's Metallica. I need to feel the pain as well. It's cathartic.

And where is Qasiel these days anyway, it's been ages since I remember him posting?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It will be a train.

Jayde > mike > musha

I think I'd go for the easier setup of Jayde > musha < mike.

sorry musha!

Death From above 1979 in the background, it's sexy music.

EDIT: I feel like I've crossed a very wrong line.

Mikeside

Oh man that is REALLY close, I had no idea. We need to get together for a beer one of these days!

Sounds good. Except I'll probably have a cider.
Just hit me up when you're free for it - I'm busy this weekend, what with the anniversary stuff going on (still driving me crazy that I don't know what it is she's taking me to!), but can probably make myself free most weekends after that.

Stubo

If you get the chance to see him live, do it!! So ridiculously good!

I never got around to posting in the previous music discussion so I'll just leave some of my favourites here:

Band of Horses, Bon Iver, Silversun Pickups, Hammock, Sigur Rós, Ben Howard, Killswitch Engage, In Flames, Slow Dancing Society, Kyte.

Mikeside

It will be a train.

Jayde > mike > musha

Why am I the beta-male in your perverted wankbank? :( If I have to be involved in this sextipede, then I want tops.
EDIT: Hang on, I've just come to my senses and I'm out the door. These guys seem like sex might involve sacrificing a goat and listening to Napalm Death or something. And I'm so not-metal that I had to google "heaviest metal bands" to come up with Napalm Death.

RE Metallica - I think they're a bit like old horror movies. When it came out, Psycho was R rated and scandalous - these days it would barely be a PG. That's Metallica. I need to feel the pain as well. It's cathartic.

You guys are going to eat me alive with your metals and such. For me, Metallica is plenty heavy enough. Weren't we happily talking about Belle and Sebastian just now?

I never got around to posting in the previous music discussion so I'll just leave some of my favourites here:

Band of Horses, Bon Iver, Silversun Pickups, Hammock, Sigur Rós, Ben Howard, Killswitch Engage, In Flames, Slow Dancing Society, Kyte.

That's more my speed.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Why am I the beta-male in your perverted wankbank? :( If I have to be involved in this sextipede, then I want tops.

I have a beard.

You guys are going to eat me alive with your metals and such. For me, Metallica is plenty heavy enough. Weren't we happily talking about Belle and Sebastian just now?

Gotta have the rough with the smooth m'man!

Oh yeah, Zombie just came on my iPod. Gonna sit here in my chair and shuffle. Stick this in your ear pussies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q76UngzHX5Y

Kentpaul

Jaydes beard and mikes back hair will create enough static during the centipede to make sparks fly.

The romance.

Mikeside

Oh yeah, Zombie just came on my iPod. Gonna sit here in my chair and shuffle. Stick this in your ear pussies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q76UngzHX5Y

Went in expecting my ears to bleed from the heavy metal noise
i9kab6x0ucVqL.jpg

I meant Mike and his lady, I know you're from Laaaaahndon innit :p and I'm not scared of you at all. I am scared of what Chinner will say though!

And where is Qasiel these days anyway, it's been ages since I remember him posting?

Dunno, he's in Cornwall at the mo but before that who knows. Maybe he had enough of Gaf and decided to get a life and go outside.

I think I'd go for the easier setup of Jayde > musha < mike.

sorry musha!

Death From above 1979 in the background, it's sexy music.

EDIT: I feel like I've crossed a very wrong line.

I can live with that

Yeah maybe I will one day.

You get points for Killswitch and In Flames.

Mikeside

Ohhhhhh nostalgia.
Can we somehow make the Rayman Origins team make a new Chuck Rock?

Rough with the smooth :D

I love Converge, they are like weaponised sound. It's the sound of fire, it's beautiful.

....oooh, Get Up Kids covering Close to Me. Love the iPod on random!

It's generally the vocals that I don't like in heavy metal. That and all the fucking cheesy guitar harmonics. Yeah, I get it - harmonics. Clever.

Guys play some pink floyd and reword your poor fucking ears ;)

A fine choice, but I'm going back to Tegan & Sara for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom