• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeside

GAF, I've been going through hell for 4 weeks. I've been dizzy beyond fucking belief.

I first went to my doctor in Manchester 3 weeks ago, complaining about dizziness, which was coinciding with a spell of anxiety I was going through. This was probably down to moving to a new city and being a bit terrified about it.

My doctor, appearing at first to care, did my blood pressure, despite me saying my readings were always higher at doctors (I have "White Coat Hypertension" ), and, of course, it was very high (167/100 or something like that). Alarm bells started ringing, despite me saying it was only high on visits to doctors. I was referred to have my blood tested and an ECG, both of which came back perfectly (as I said they would).

I suggested taking readings at home with a home-kit blood pressure monitor, which I did for a week, coming in at perfectly fine average of 127/78 (120/80 is perfect).

That's when my surgery in Manchester gave up on me. The fopped me off to some mental health care facility, saying that my rapidly worsening (and now constant) dizziness was "all in my head" and "down to anxiety". This was so fucking scary. I couldn't go out, I couldn't drive. I was so scared, what if I would be like this for the rest of my life? I withdrew from life, spending all day in bed, only kept company by my sympathetic GF and GAF.

My parents clearly agreed that it was anxiety, and said that I needed to stop being so soft (obviously less bluntly than this). They took me home (by this point I'd been dizzy for 3 weeks) to Wales, where I've been for the last week, insisting that taking my mind off things would make me better, but it had been getting worse and worse. They were doing a presentation of WRC Cars last night in Llandudno and I felt so dizzy and disorientated with all the revving. When would it end?

I felt so, so fucking alone. Everyone thought I was mental but I kept saying it's a health problem, that I was used to anxiety and I'd never had dizziness before. My GF, my parents, my doctors, all thought I was losing it. Words can't describe how lonely this made me feel.

Against everyone's advise I went to a doctor in Llandudno, a hail mary move. I didn't know what I'd do if they couldn't find anything. Maybe I should be committed? The dizziness feels so real.

I went this morning. I have a massive ear infection.

Cunts. At least I'll get better now.

Christ, mate - that sounds like absolute hell.
Best of luck and get well soon with the ear infection - I know those can be fucking shit. This all should get you some pretty kinky sex from your GF for a while, at least?

Chinner

Banned
meadows maybe you got that ear infection by listening to all the terrible music kentpaul keeps posting?

glad it's sorted anyway bro.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
GAF, I've been going through hell for 4 weeks. I've been dizzy beyond fucking belief.

I first went to my doctor in Manchester 3 weeks ago, complaining about dizziness, which was coinciding with a spell of anxiety I was going through. This was probably down to moving to a new city and being a bit terrified about it.

My doctor, appearing at first to care, did my blood pressure, despite me saying my readings were always higher at doctors (I have "White Coat Hypertension" ), and, of course, it was very high (167/100 or something like that). Alarm bells started ringing, despite me saying it was only high on visits to doctors. I was referred to have my blood tested and an ECG, both of which came back perfectly (as I said they would).

I suggested taking readings at home with a home-kit blood pressure monitor, which I did for a week, coming in at perfectly fine average of 127/78 (120/80 is perfect).

That's when my surgery in Manchester gave up on me. The fopped me off to some mental health care facility, saying that my rapidly worsening (and now constant) dizziness was "all in my head" and "down to anxiety". This was so fucking scary. I couldn't go out, I couldn't drive. I was so scared, what if I would be like this for the rest of my life? I withdrew from life, spending all day in bed, only kept company by my sympathetic GF and GAF.

My parents clearly agreed that it was anxiety, and said that I needed to stop being so soft (obviously less bluntly than this). They took me home (by this point I'd been dizzy for 3 weeks) to Wales, where I've been for the last week, insisting that taking my mind off things would make me better, but it had been getting worse and worse. They were doing a presentation of WRC Cars last night in Llandudno and I felt so dizzy and disorientated with all the revving. When would it end?

I felt so, so fucking alone. Everyone thought I was mental but I kept saying it's a health problem, that I was used to anxiety and I'd never had dizziness before. My GF, my parents, my doctors, all thought I was losing it. Words can't describe how lonely this made me feel.

Against everyone's advise I went to a doctor in Llandudno, a hail mary move. I didn't know what I'd do if they couldn't find anything. Maybe I should be committed? The dizziness feels so real.

Holy crap mate, I'm glad there was a happy ending to the sotry and it didn't end "so I'm going to get committed". This further prooves my assumption that doctors on the whole are just making slightly more educated guesses than we would.

I had a similar thing with a medical issue where I told them "it's this" and they said "it can't be that". Three trips later they're all "Yeah you were right, how odd" and I'm like "damn straight motherfuckers!".

Idiots

Also, the line about the dizziness being all in your head made me lol. sorry :p

SKINNER!

Banned
Shit, hope you get well real soon Meadows. Anxiety is such a nuisance and, coupled with depression, can definitely be dangerous. Go travelling on your own and get a break from all the BS in your life for a while. Worked wonders for me.

Glad you finally got a diagnosis and hopefully you'll feel better soon Meadows.

So, when you said "home", does that mean you're Welsh? Or is that just where your parents live now?

Lirlond

Reminds me of the time I spent two weeks with a burst appendix.

The only reason the doctor found it was because a surgeon said to just cut me open and see what was wrong. My intestines were slowly being crushed by pus and other nasty shit since my appendix had burst and was spewing stuff everywhere.

If that surgeon hadn't suggested surgery I'd have probably died. It doesn't help that no doctor noticed appendicitis or the after effects of it, my parents were told there was nothing wrong with me.

Juicy Bob

Bloody hell, Meadows. I'm really sorry that you've had to go all through that. I've always thought you were a top poster and I do hope things stay better for you.

haha, yeah I think we can ALL agree that Blackberries suck dingleberries. a million buttons, a tiny screen. I don't get it.
Because I much prefer a physical keypad. No LOL AUTOCORRECT with actual buttons, bro.

Meadows

Banned
Glad you finally got a diagnosis and hopefully you'll feel better soon Meadows.

So, when you said "home", does that mean you're Welsh? Or is that just where your parents live now?

I was born in Warrington and lived with my parents there until I was 18. I moved to York for Uni and they moved to Llandudno to retire/take care of my Nan.

3Sixty

Really surprised a ear infection that caused that much grief was that easy to miss. Just another reason why Manchester sucks ;)

f0rk

That does sound awful :/

Meadows

Banned
Holy shit, GAF is converging on London!

Really sorry to hear about what you've been going through, Meadows. It must have been incredibly frustrating to see people doubt you, only compounding the anxiety. I'm glad the problem has been identified, and you're on the mend.

it's beyond frustrating, for everyone to doubt you when you're so sure it's real. It's the weirdest thing ever, and it drove me a bit insane. I've lost weight, started getting loads of ulcers and sleeping 12 hours a day. The stress of it is unbearable.

When the doctor at the Llandudno clinic (West Shore Surgery btw, can recommend) told me I had a really bad ear infection I broke down. I started sobbing uncontrollably because she actually checked me and thought it could be something other than anxiety. She started tearing up too lol. Her name is Dr Munnaza Zahid and she's my saviour.

edit: I know it sounds like I'm being OTT, but I've been constantly dizzy for the last 600 odd hours. Every waking moment.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Bloody hell, Meadows. I'm really sorry that you've had to go all through that. I've always thought you were a top poster and I do hope things stay better for you.

Because I much prefer a physical keypad. No LOL AUTOCORRECT with actual buttons, bro.

Many years of using a real keyboard has taught me that a typo is inevitable, physical buttons or no. In fact, I just used backspace about 5 times in this simple sentence
I am partially retarded

Mikeside

it's beyond frustrating, for everyone to doubt you when you're so sure it's real. It's the weirdest thing ever, and it drove me a bit insane. I've lost weight, started getting loads of ulcers and sleeping 12 hours a day. The stress of it is unbearable.

When the doctor at the Llandudno clinic (West Shore Surgery btw, can recommend) told me I had a really bad ear infection I broke down. I started sobbing uncontrollably because she actually checked me and thought it could be something other than anxiety. She started tearing up too lol. Her name is Dr Munnaza Zahid and she's my saviour.

edit: I know it sounds like I'm being OTT, but I've been constantly dizzy for the last 600 odd hours. Every waking moment.

Dude... my heart goes out to ya. You should let the other doctors who saw you know about this because it's criminal how you've been handled.

Meadows

Banned
Dude... my heart goes out to ya. You should let the other doctors who saw you know about this because it's criminal how you've been handled.

I'll write them a letter in a couple of weeks but I just want to recover for now. I'm just so fucking tired. Relieved like, don't get me wrong, but the stress of it nearly finished me off.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.

Dang, at least you eventually found out what it was and it's curable. That sounds super shitty.

Mikeside

I'll write them a letter in a couple of weeks but I just want to recover for now. I'm just so fucking tired. Relieved like, don't get me wrong, but the stress of it nearly finished me off.

Are you signed off work/school/whatever at the minute?
Do you have an even slightly capable PC? Got a get well gift for you if so.

Edit: a fairly modern laptop should run it...

Meadows

Banned
Are you signed off work/school/whatever at the minute?
Do you have an even slightly capable PC? Got a get well gift for you if so.

Edit: a fairly modern laptop should run it...

I graduated in July and I was looking for work but this has meant that I can't even apply for jobs or consider working because of how serious it's been.

I'm not on the dole though, I can't get it because of my GF's visa restrictions (our household can't be in receipt of public funds). I'm going off savings from my nan's inheritance and my part-time jobs. I've got enough to last another 4 or 5 months so I'm not too worried.

And yeah I have a pretty good laptop! Thanks so much for the gift mate, means the world to me!

SmokyDave

I can see myself getting banned fairly soon. This embassy burning bullshit is bringing some proper freaks out of the woodwork and it's only a matter of time before I just lose my shit on someone. I just can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading.

I swore I'd stay the hell away from topics regarding islam :(

Mikeside

I graduated in July and I was looking for work but this has meant that I can't even apply for jobs or consider working because of how serious it's been.

I'm not on the dole though, I can't get it because of my GF's visa restrictions (our household can't be in receipt of public funds). I'm going off savings from my nan's inheritance and my part-time jobs. I've got enough to last another 4 or 5 months so I'm not too worried.

And yeah I have a pretty good laptop! Thanks so much for the gift mate, means the world to me!

PMing you an FTL key now, buddy! Let me know if you enjoy it :)

I am so freakin bored right now. How can I waste away the next hour and 20 mins while still looking like I'm busy working?

GAF.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Stepping up the job hunt. Applied for a spot at the co-op literally 5 minutes walk away (which I hope I get) and got a phone call earlier telling me I got through to the second stage of the app. process for something I applied for yesterday. Also got an application form for a local bookies I might try.

Wish me luck.

Juicy Bob

I can see myself getting banned fairly soon. This embassy burning bullshit is bringing some proper freaks out of the woodwork and it's only a matter of time before I just lose my shit on someone. I just can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading.

*holds Dave back* Leave it, Dave. It's just not worth it mate.

Also, good luck Cheezmo! Let us know how you get on.

Meadows

Banned

Noooo we can't lose you Dave! You're the best of us!

CHEEZMO™;42120610 said:
Stepping up the job hunt. Applied for a spot at the co-op literally 5 minutes walk away (which I hope I get) and got a phone call earlier telling me I got through to the second stage of the app. process for something I applied for yesterday. Also got an application form for a local bookies I might try.

Wish me luck.

Good luck!

If you feel people are being inappropriate, tell a mod?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

This is why I use IRC. I can chat about GAF and even make remarks on people without fear of getting banned.

Another bit of advise I read was to simply write out what you really want to say to get it out of your system but don't submit the reply.

SmokyDave

I'm just going to log out and go have a nice weekend. I wouldn't normally post on a weekend anyway so I'm only stitching myself up if I stick around.

I'll still be back on Sunday morning to read about you crazy cats and your weekend capers. Always makes me giggle as I sip my morning coffee :)

If you feel people are being inappropriate, tell a mod?
Nah, I don't want anyone suppressing / banning, I just want to be able to tear them a new arsehole. It's much easier just to ignore it though.

This is why I use IRC. I can chat about GAF and even make remarks on people without fear of getting banned.

Another bit of advise I read was to simply write out what you really want to say to get it out of your system but don't submit the reply.
See, I feel a bit snidey discussing themes / other threads in this thread as it is, I don't reckon I could call out individuals if they weren't there to defend themselves.

Juicy Bob

It's true. The amount of times I've typed out a long riposte to someone who wound me up and then thought "you know what, sod it"...

I can see myself getting banned fairly soon. This embassy burning bullshit is bringing some proper freaks out of the woodwork and it's only a matter of time before I just lose my shit on someone. I just can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading

I'm with you regarding this thread. There are some unorthodox opinions on GAF which I can tolerate, and then there are some that I find downright chilling and offensive. Best not risk getting banned over it, BGBW's suggestion below is something I have done an almost uncountable number of times on here so maybe give it a try?

EDIT: Like Juicy Bob, not only does it help me vent some anger, but it makes me realise that posting it will only prolong arguments with some incredibly stubborn and irritating individuals. Better to just ignore it, essentially.

Mikeside

Nah, I don't want anyone suppressing / banning, I just want to be able to tear them a new arsehole. It's much easier just to ignore it though.

You should start an anonymous Twitter and post short, shitty replies on there.
I'll edit this out if you need me to ;)

No, I won't

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Hell yeah. No matter what side you take you're wrong. I've had enough of devoting emotional energy to those kinds of things, you can work yourself up so much and there is absolutely nothing to be done. It's sad.

Chinner

Banned
it's quite eerie how similair meadows and mines summers have been. graduated, ill and unfit to get work. shit is lame either way!

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I've never known somebody so consistently wrong as you are.

The shooting mechanics from a source game vs the shooting mechanics from a frostbite 2 game.. A decade apart at the very least.

I use the shooting mechanics as a example because valve can pretty much only make fps games.

Gotta please they 12 year old gamers right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom