• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKINNER!

Banned
Morning all! Headed to the gym for a first time in 2 weeks last. Thought it would be a good idea to The Avengers after it but I slept halfway through. Last thing I remember was
some swanky party in Germany.

It's a work colleague's birthday and the office are going out for lunch today! I think assume hope that it's free.

Also, new Lupe Fiasco! Looking forward to hearing the new album.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Would be good to go, so I'm hoping to make it!
Er... where is it again? Westie?

Yup, Westie up at the top of town. Fairly sure there should be tickets still. Nothing I ever play at sells out :p

wwhat kind of music does jedeye play? GAY music?

hahahahahaha hes gay hahahahahha

My music is so gay that it will forcefully pentrate you and leave you changed forever. And it will hug you with big hairy arms and kiss the back of your neck with it's stubbly jaw and will make you tingle in your naughty bits.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
My music is so gay that it will forcefully pentrate you and leave you changed forever. And it will hug you with big hairy arms and kiss the back of your neck with it's stubbly jaw and will make you tingle in your naughty bits.

This certainly sounds like it would be an experience to say the least.

I had a dream last night that people were no longer able to say the number "one", like they were physically impossible, and it cause the complete collapse of society...

uUuqT.jpg

Mikeside

This certainly sounds like it would be an experience to say the least.

I had a dream last night that people were no longer able to say the number "one", like they were physically impossible, and it cause the complete collapse of society...

Pfft, that's easy.
I'd just say "two minus wuhh.... w......"
Oh fuck.

I'm pretty nervous about this gig, you guys. Anyone got some kind of anus protector for me to bring?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Pfft, that's easy.
I'd just say "two minus wuhh.... w......"
Oh fuck.

I'm pretty nervous about this gig, you guys. Anyone got some kind of anus protector for me to bring?

I think by the end of the dream we'd come up with a solution and began to rebuild, because there was a Subway that had managed to reopen.

We probably just created a new name for the number but I don't remember.

I think the romantic comedies/lighter films with sad subject matter have been the films I've enjoyed the most this year. Skyfall will take the crown though, TDKR just wasn't that great as a sequel to TDK.

Mikeside

I think the romantic comedies/lighter films with sad subject matter have been the films I've enjoyed the most this year. Skyfall will take the crown though, TDKR just wasn't that great as a sequel to TDK.

I loved TDKR but I thought it had some pretty serious pacing problems and it felt like a lot of magic was lost on the cutting room floor.

It probably doesn't help that TDK is probably one of my favourite films ever.

EDIT: But my man-crush JGL was fantastic in it, at least. Actually - a lot of solid performances all round.

I did enjoy TDKR but, like you said, the pacing issues and plot points that could've easily been expanded with a few extra minutes here and there really made it suffer. TDK is almost perfect by comparison.

My biggest disappointment this year was Prometheus, especially since watching the deleted scenes and thinking to myself "why was this cut?".

I think the most overrated film this year is Avengers Assemble; obviously I didn't go in expecting anything but a fun film, which it is, however upon multiple re-watches it just feels like Iron Man 3 and Friends.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I did enjoy TDKR but, like you said, the pacing issues and plot points that could've easily been expanded with a few extra minutes here and there really made it suffer. TDK is almost perfect by comparison.

My biggest disappointment this year was Prometheus, especially since watching the deleted scenes and thinking to myself "why was this cut?".

I think the most overrated film this year is Avengers Assemble; obviously I didn't go in expecting anything but a fun film, which it is, however upon multiple re-watches it just feels like Iron Man 3 and Friends.

Dude, there is no shot in any film that approaches the sheer badassery of that long tracking shot with all the Avengers. It bought a tear to my nerd-eye. And the Hulk man, those Hulk scenes were simply joyous.

Mikeside

I really want to watch an extended cut of Prometheus to see if that irons out a lot of the problems. I went in expecting to be wowed and came out having watched what was essentially just a popcorn movie - and not a great one, at that!

I keep meaning to watch Avengers Assemble, but I've not actually seen ANY of the Marvel films leading up to it (having lost faith with movies based on Marvel comics after X3) but I think I'll have to give it a whirl. Is there any kind of 'watching order' other than Iron Man 1 before Iron Man 2?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Dude, there is no shot in any film that approaches the sheer badassery of that long tracking shot with all the Avengers. It bought a tear to my nerd-eye. And the Hulk man, those Hulk scenes were simply joyous.

killing-them-softly-movie-image-ray-liotta-1.jpg

Steady there.

Some scenes in killing them softly put your comic book trash to shame.

Avengers was awesome.

Spider-Man was awesome.

TDKR was awesome.

Dredd will be awesome when I eventually see it this Saturday.

Comic book films fucking rule.

Mikeside

Avengers was awesome.

Spider-Man was awesome.

TDKR was awesome.

Dredd will be awesome when I eventually see it this Saturday.

Comic book films fucking rule.

I'm glad you didn't mention the XMen films in this post.

I'll take that as a positive for Avengers and will probably look at watching Iron Man tonight or tomorrow

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think that of all the Marvel films, Thor is the most important to get the most out of Avengers since Loki is the big bad. Cap is OK but is pretty straight forward, but I was quite impressed by Thor. It is endearingly daft.

Lirlond

I wish Fox would give up on their xmen films. I want the illuminati in the Marvelverse! I want Planet Hulk! I want the Civil Warrrr

Suairyu

Banned
I think that of all the Marvel films, Thor is the most important to get the most out of Avengers since Loki is the big bad. Cap is OK but is pretty straight forward, but I was quite impressed by Thor. It is endearingly daft.
Thor is legitimately one of the worst films I've ever seen. It makes Batman and Robin look good.

daviyoung

Banned
This recent Marvel crop of movies are terrible, even Iron Man, whose films are a cross between Celebrity Juice, Transformers and a knock-off version of Batman. Thor is terrible, Captain America could have been good but it went off the rails pretty quickly.

Nolan's Dark Knight is like a perfume advert featuring a man dressed as a bat and Watchmen was as bog-standard as a comic book movie could get, which considering the source is a massive insult. 300 was ok I guess, at least it passed quickly and painlessly.

First Class is the most competent comic book film I've seen recently.

Mr. Sam

Killing Them Softly was great. It won't be timeless, but it's a very funny, very well written film. I missed seeing James Gandolfini but man, Johnny Sack has gotten fat.

daviyoung

Banned
comic book movies are fucking awful get a better taste in movies you nerrds

They really are, but in a year where David Cronenberg delivers his biggest steamer and a romantic comedy about a sinking ship gets re-released in 3D, beggars can't be choosers. We seem to be happy enough to pay £9 to see a feature-length video game cutscene.

Mikeside

This recent Marvel crop of movies are terrible, even Iron Man, whose films are a cross between Celebrity Juice, Transformers and a knock-off version of Batman. Thor is terrible, Captain America could have been good but it went off the rails pretty quickly.

Nolan's Dark Knight is like a perfume advert featuring a man dressed as a bat and Watchmen was as bog-standard as a comic book movie could get, which considering the source is a massive insult. 300 was ok I guess, at least it passed quickly and painlessly.

First Class is the most competent comic book film I've seen recently.

The Dark Knight was and is fantastic. I won't hear another word against it.

daviyoung

Banned
I'll have to read the Watchmen comic one day. It better be the equivalent of The Wire if the movie is that much hated on here.

And V for Vendetta, if you liked the movie. Their respective films really highlight how people struggle with translating graphic novels into moving images.

Hanna got it right, but unfortunately that wasn't a comic book first so it obviously doesn't count. But it should.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
V for Vendetta was terrible. I don't care what you think about our Government you don't destroy a lovely building like the Palace of Westminster.

And V for Vendetta, if you liked the movie. Their respective films really highlight how people struggle with translating graphic novels into moving images.

Hanna got it right, but unfortunately that wasn't a comic book first so it obviously doesn't count. But it should.

Well I liked the Watchmen film, so I'll probably love the comic. The film ending sounds better though
(Blamed on Dr Manhattan vs space squid)

Might grab V too then, though I'd want to watch the film again too.
Infact both can go on my Christmas list!

Mikeside

Well I liked the Watchmen film, so I'll probably love the comic. The film ending sounds better though
(Blamed on Dr Manhattan vs space squid)

Might grab V too then, though I'd want to watch the film again too.

NO! The film ending doesn't make any sense!!!
By blaming a space squid, they're blaming an outside force - it makes sense to do that if you want to bring the world together. Blaming Dr. Manhattan is blaming what would be seen by the rest of the world as a creation of America. Do you really think that would bring everyone together? I would've thought it'd start a war.

daviyoung

Banned
I really liked Scott Pilgrim and Kick-Ass - am I part of the problem?

Absolutely. My Scott Pilgrim screening was full of 'core gamers' thinking everything on screen was best-thing-ever. Good idea, but still a bad film. Don't know how it compares to the comics though, but I imagine its tone is pretty faithful. The game is great though.

Kick-Ass was remade as a much better film called Super.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Absolutely. My Scott Pilgrim screening was full of 'core gamers' thinking everything on screen was best-thing-ever. Good idea, but still a bad film. Don't know how it compares to the comics though, but I imagine its tone is pretty faithful. The game is great though.

Kick-Ass was remade as a much better film called Super.

No u r a bad film.

Scott Pilgrim is the best thing ever. Enhanced by MEW's legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom