• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Here's a picture of the Dublin Under 18's All Ireland Gaelic Football champions.

There's a famous bloke in the photo.

original.jpg

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Fuuuuck. Just watched Grave Encounters with the housemates. Started off shit but fuuuuuuuuck that it got terrifying.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I went to see Dredd tonight. Bloody brilliant. Urban nails it. Go. Now.

I'm tempted to see it in Taiwan, but I'm afraid of it being cut to shit by the censor board over here.

You should try watching movies on TV over here. Even if shown at 2am they're cut to hell. They showed Scary Movie a month or so ago and the entire thing was like 40 minutes long after they'd had their way with it.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm tempted to see it in Taiwan, but I'm afraid of it being cut to shit by the censor board over here.

You should try watching movies on TV over here. Even if shown at 2am they're cut to hell. They showed Scary Movie a month or so ago and the entire thing was like 40 minutes long after they'd had their way with it.
Buy a movie ticket, then try to find it online.

Dredd is pure violence. Don't let yourself see an inferior cut.

SKINNER!

Banned

haha, don't get me started on movie censorship. Same shit was happening when I was living in the Middle East as a kid. I was given a copy of Scary Movie on VideoCD back then as a gift and I had no clue what was going on in the toilet cubicle scene because the whole film was chopped to bits. Bad language? Blood/Violence? A-OK! A little side-boob? Cut that shit out! Unusually, No movie ratings existed back then so parents were taking their kids to see Starship Troopers and Blade. They introduced age ratings the last time I was there but it's pretty bizarre (The Dark Knight/Spiderman rated G. Sherlock Holmes 2/Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol rated 15).

Different story for TV. Government-owned channels rarely showed english movies unless it's 2am in the morning. Even then, it's like a shitty VHS quality and - of course - butchered. Satellite channels are a completely different story. Depending on the particular movie channel, they were able to show blood/violence and bad language freely during the morning, afternoon and evening but nudity/sex was strictly shown after 11pm. I recall watching Total Recall while having breakfast one morning and then they repeated it again at 11pm that night and I was like "ha! I don't remember seeing those unusual tits earlier today".

Speaking to my old friends after I left to the UK and they all said that they torrent their films to bypass the censorship. Watchman was out at the time and they heard the entire Dr Manhattan speech at the end of the film was simply incomprehensible because they cut out all the scenes with his penis exposed.

EDIT: Slipknot got confirmed as the third headliner for Download. Somewhat gutted as I really wanted Pearl Jam but I heard they put on a good show.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
haha, don't get me started on movie censorship. Same shit was happening when I was living in the Middle East as a kid. I was given a copy of Scary Movie on VideoCD back then as a gift and I had no clue what was going on in the toilet cubicle scene because the whole film was chopped to bits. Bad language? Blood/Violence? A-OK! A little side-boob? Cut that shit out! Unusually, No movie ratings exited back then so parents were taking their kids to see Starship Troopers and Blade. They introduced age ratings the last time I was there but it's pretty bizarre (The Dark Knight/Spiderman rated G. Sherlock Holmes 2/Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol rated 15).

Different story for TV. Government-owned channels rarely showed english movies unless it's 2am in the morning. Even then, it's like a shitty VHS quality and - of course - butchered. Satellite channels are a completely different story. Depending on the particular movie channel, they were able to show blood/violence and bad language freely during the morning, afternoon and evening but nudity/sex was strictly shown after 11pm. I recall watching Total Recall while having breakfast one morning and then they repeated it again at 11pm that night and I was like "ha! I don't remember seeing those unusual tits earlier today".

I remember the movie channels I watched in Thailand when I was in Phuket this April. They were showing pirated black & white screener versions of stuff like Thor and straight-to-video movies. That and, for some reason, showing near-constant repeats of Mirko Crocop's "Final fight" event.

Cindres

EDIT: Slipknot got confirmed as the third headliner for Download. Somewhat gutted as I really wanted Pearl Jam but I heard they put on a good show.

Oh now I HAVE to go. Been dying to see Slipknot after they had to drop out of Leeds a few years ago.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.

Move to a decent country and watch KILLING THEM SOFTLY instead.

Oh now I HAVE to go. Been dying to see Slipknot after they had to drop out of Leeds a few years ago.

Shit yeah, pretty happy about this. Seeing them headline in 2009 turned me into a much bigger fan because it was so freakin good. Will deffo be going.

Darren870

How do you find the country?

I find it quite fascinating for some reason, Americans living over here. I worked with a bloke from Chicago for a few years, he picked up a bit of Yorkshire dialect over the years and it sounded so weird.

It's probably that i just can't comprehend why someone from Chicago would want to come live here :p

I love it here, but I am starting to think about the next steps. I had never intended on moving here but I got an offer and took it. Was only suppose to be 2 years but things happened and now its been just about 3. I plan on doing another year and then see where it goes. Problem is it takes 6 years to become a citizen and I don't know if I want to wait that long....

Otherwise, I love being able to travel for cheap, love London, love my friends here etc etc.

Hate the tax and the weather though :p

Do you not miss the glorious Walmart? The free refills wherever you go? How cheap everything is compared to here? I can't imagine what the UK has that the US doesn't...

Definitely miss how cheap the US is. Despite what the exchange rate says i find that £1 = $1

SKINNER!

Banned
Goodness me at that "my dad is crazy" thread. and here I thought my family was dysfunctional.

yaaas! At this rate we'll have to set a UK-GAF Download 2013 thread.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Spent far too long this morning making a zine to give out at the gig on saturday. Having to balance passion projects with work is a struggle. I don't wanna stuff letters, I want to draw pictures in biro and make a magazine out of them!! wooooo! It's looking charmingly budget, I'm very proud of myself.

Scuderia

Shit yeah, pretty happy about this. Seeing them headline in 2009 turned me into a much bigger fan because it was so freakin good. Will deffo be going.

Never really been a fan, but i have no doubts that it will be a good show. Probably turn me into a fan too, like seeing Metallica did.

SKINNER!

Banned
Do you know what make it is? I'm looking for ideas...

He told me it's an Epson but can't remember the model number. He'll dig it out when he gets home and tell me. He also mentioned that its "LCD instead of DLP" and that it has a "game mode" option. Hope that helps.

Seanbob11

He told me it's an Epson but can't remember the model number. He'll dig it out when he gets home and tell me. He also mentioned that its "LCD instead of DLP" and that it has a "game mode" option. Hope that helps.

Yeah this is helpful. There's so many to choose from I was just looking for recommendations.

Cindres

Goodness me at that "my dad is crazy" thread. and here I thought my family was dysfunctional.

yaaas! At this rate we'll have to set a UK-GAF Download 2013 thread.

Fuckin' right.

Can we just have one big UK-GAF Camp area? I may have a hard time convincing many a person to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom