• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKINNER!

Banned
I'm a huge RTS fan, but I haven't really enjoyed much since my Red Alert 2 days. I was so good back then :(

I like a bit of RTS action, and I've got RA2 & 3 (Soviet. Always Soviet!). Just ordered a new laptop so with luck it'll be here soon and I can get Steam back up and running

yaaas! I also got Red Alert 2 (First Decade) and 3 but both are the disc versions. Is there a way to get them to work on Steam? It was such a pain using the built-in multiplayer bit when everyone didn't have the right version/patch installed.

Mikeside

yaaas! I also got Red Alert 2 (First Decade) and 3 but both are the disc versions. Is there a way to get them to work on Steam? It was such a pain using the built-in multiplayer bit when everyone didn't have the right version/patch installed.

Errr, no idea.
I've not gone back to RA2 in some years. Last time I tried it felt too much like work.
Have got Red Alert 3 on Steam - I never really enjoyed it before but if you can get the multiplayer going, then I'll give it a go with you :)

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
RA2 > TibSun > RA > Generals > C&C3 > RA3 > C&C1 >>>>>>>>>> C&C4

And that's just Command & Conquer games.

Also Renegade was fucking ace back in the day. Had so much fun playing that online.

I love how you can build bases all over in generals, You just need a dozer/worker. No more big ass moving command centres over the map.

The freedom in base building makes it the best CNC game.

do you have BF3 ? lets roll

bf3_2012_10_08_16_31_35_540.jpg

Wish this was a steam game though :(

Mikeside

I love how you can build bases all over in generals, You just need a dozer/worker. No more big ass moving command centres over the map.

The freedom in base building makes it the best CNC game.

do you have BF3 ? lets roll

bf3_2012_10_08_16_31_35_540.jpg

Wish this was a steam game though :(

I do but I'm terrible at it.
I'm off Friday-Tuesday, I'm sure we can get a game in sometime then?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I loved RA3 and CNC3, meh.

I've been wanting a good new RTS for so long, I keep thinking about SC2 but I dunno if it looks like my cuppa tea.
Just waiting on CoH2.

f0rk

I loved RA3 and CNC3, meh.

I've been wanting a good new RTS for so long, I keep thinking about SC2 but I dunno if it looks like my cuppa tea.
Just waiting on CoH2.
SC2 is worth it just for the single player, well put together missions. Story is pretty bad though.

I joined the steam group even if I really only lurk this thread. Hope you don't mind, I really should start posting more here anyway.

I've got too many games on Steam/Origin/PC, but these are some of the best for co-op or vs multiplayer that I own:

FIFA 13

Essentially, I'm up for whatever. Would be nice if we can mix it up a bit.

and you need to join the GAF Pro Club!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493534

I know Cindres plays sometimes when his internet is working :p

SmokyDave

Let me assure you: it'll run Left4Dead. Source games are a marvel of scaleability.
Agreed. I used to run 'em on my old laptop, I could run 'em on my work laptop and yet on my 'proper' machine, they can still look great.

Just Cause 2 is another silly scalable piece of software. I ran it at 320x240 on an old Vaio for a while :)

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I joined the steam group even if I really only lurk this thread. Hope you don't mind, I really should start posting more here anyway.

and you need to join the GAF Pro Club!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493534

I know Cindres plays sometimes when his internet is working :p

Gonna get myself a wired solution sorted. Then I'll be right back on!

There are definitely more UK GAFfers on the FIFA team.

Suairyu

Banned
Clean graphics ? you mean shit textures right..
No, I mean not low-res bump-mapped, with muddy post-processing filters and stupid amounts of bloom.

Source games have a wonderful look about them that got mostly lost by the rest of the industry once the 360 came along with its normal map capabilities but its lack of RAM to do them right.

SmokyDave

... but he also hates Our Word with a passion.
I don't think that was the issue, I think it was the fact that the thread has devolved into petty 'meta-GAF' squabbling. I had a niggling feeling that I should've quoted and engaged his post on the nature of ignorance but I didn't have anything more substantial to say than 'I agree'.

Bugger.

SKINNER!

Banned
Phisheep reminds me of that lone wise man character you get in Kung-fu movies. He speaks his mind and dishes out advice whenever someone's in trouble :)

Suairyu

Banned
I don't think that was the issue, I think it was the fact that the thread has devolved into petty 'meta-GAF' squabbling. I had a niggling feeling that I should've quoted and engaged his post on the nature of ignorance but I didn't have anything more substantial to say than 'I agree'.

Bugger.
Naw, he's expressed distaste for it in the past.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm worried that Phisheep may have just reached the end of his substantial tether :(

I got a bigger tether than that, Dave. Just got pissed off with the endless navel-gazing in that thread. EDIT: plus I had a chicken to cook.

Anyone wants to jerk my chain, it takes a helluva lot of jerking.

FURTHER EDIT: Regarding "the word". I don't like it, I'm not comfortable around it, I've never used it (except once(*see note), and then in French, not English), and I'm not going to change that now. You guys use it all you like, just don't expect me to hang around you if it gets beyond the occasional appropriate buddy-cum-jibe thing. At least until you calm down a bit.

*NOTE: Twice, see three posts down

Found out the Headteacher and the Deputy Head are off tomorrow, so I'm doing a whole school assembly on the importance of Michael Jackson.

When the cats are away. . .

SmokyDave

I wasn't saying it was.

But he's Welsh. What can you expect?
A bloody good singing voice.

I got a bigger tether than that, Dave. Just got pissed off with the endless navel-gazing in that thread. EDIT: plus I had a chicken to cook.

Anyone wants to jerk my chain, it takes a helluva lot of jerking.

FURTHER EDIT: Regarding "the word". I don't like it, I'm not comfortable around it, I've never used it (except once, and then in French, not English), and I'm not going to change that now. You guys use it all you like, just don't expect me to hang around you if it gets beyond the occasional appropriate buddy-cum-jibe thing. At least until you calm down a bit.
Well, I'm glad. I could feel your exasperation dribbling from my iPhone.

As for the word itself, I honestly don't think you've much to worry about. It's one of those things where it wasn't used all that much until someone swooped in and forbade it. Then the loss of the word was a linguistic hate-crime. Now that 'order' has been restored (yeah right!), I give it a couple of days until usage subsides to an absolute minimum again. Apart from anything, it's still frowned upon even if it's technically 'allowed'.

What's more important is that the groundwork has been laid for civil and respectful discourse without people jumping to assign malice to every mildly ignorant statement.

f0rk

Was kind of down about working out what to do with my life today. Went to a Deloitte graduate evening on campus expecting it to be a presentation about how they are world class (how can all these firms be world class?) but it was actually a networking event, and I met a very nice lady who seemed to have priorities and interests very similar to mine with a job she loves (that's what she told me anyway). Now I have a target to work for and feeling motivated!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
A bloody good singing voice.

You're half right Dave. Catch me on a train to Twickers and you'll find a big repertoire, a 3-octave range and a talent for conducting a carriageload of accompaniment. On the way back it is a different story - three semitones at best and can't remember the words.

An ugly stereotype perpetuated by Zulu and Tom Jones.

An ugly true stereotype. Though I might take exception to the ugly bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom