• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
24 hours of gaming does sound fun but arduous - it's something I've always been interested in trying but never got around to. But knowing my proclivity for getting mashup, I would last 18 hours and then pass out. Are you doing all PC?

Mikeside

24 hours of gaming does sound fun but arduous - it's something I've always been interested in trying but never got around to. But knowing my proclivity for getting mashup, I would last 18 hours and then pass out. Are you doing all PC?

All PC will be easier to stream - which I tested out last night on Spookie and another friend of mine, so quite probably. Unless you think people would get a kick out of me putting on a webcam and attempting Android/iOS/PS3/Vita stuff too? Would be a whole lot more effort!

Finally decided to take the day off. Being ill for a week and going in to work every day has taken its toll and I'm not getting better. Will spend the day watching movies and playing games tucked up in a blanket on my sofa.

Qasiel

Finally decided to take the day off. Being ill for a week and going in to work every day has taken its toll and I'm not getting better. Will spend the day watching movies and playing games tucked up in a blanket on my sofa.
What'cha playing, Musha? Haven't seen you on PSN in ages. Hope you feel better soon

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Scotland are good at rugby. Just not good at winning, different thing entirely. Scotland/Wales is usually the most entertaining game of the six nations.

England, whether they win or not, are crap at rugby. (that is an expression of religious belief and so cannot be challenged)

I grew up in the Scottish Borders, where in high school PE the boys do rugby and the girls do football. It's a completely rugby-obsessed region where there's practically zero semblance of footballing achievement (John Collins being the only professional footballer from the region.)

Is there any other part of the UK where this "rugby > football" scenario is also the case?

Shortly after New Year 07/08 I did a 26 hour non-stop run of Oblivion GotY on the PS3. I only knew that time had passed when my Sixaxis ran out of battery.

All you need is the right type of game to keep you constantly interested. Elder Scrolls games do this for me (which is why I've abstained from playing Skyrim).

Mikeside

Shortly after New Year 07/08 I did a 26 hour non-stop run of Oblivion GotY on the PS3. I only knew that time had passed when my Sixaxis ran out of battery.

All you need is the right type of game to keep you constantly interested. Elder Scrolls games do this for me (which is why I've abstained from playing Skyrim).

I'm going to try my hardest to make this entertaining for anyone who chooses to watch, so I'll probably be doing requests on games and objectives etc.

It might be hilarious to stream me playing Battlefield 3. You wouldn't believe how terrible I am at that game.

SKINNER!

Banned

I'd love to do it too but everytime I bring up the idea people seem to think that's not as interesting as other charity events like climbing kilimanjaro or crossing the Sahara.

btw Mike, any particular reason why your raising money in dollars and not our glorious Sterling pounds?

Mikeside

I'd love to do it too but everytime I bring up the idea people seem to think that's not as interesting as other charity events like climbing kilimanjaro or crossing the Sahara.

btw Mike, any particular reason why your raising money in dollars and not our glorious Sterling pounds?

It's an unfortunate default of the charity, I'm afraid.
If I had my way, all monies would be converted to Scottish tenners in honour of the Royal Hospital for Sick Children being Scottish, but I doubt I have that authority, I'm afraid :(

Why don't you join in, if you fancy doing it? Set up your own Twitch.tv and we can kill aliens, terrorists and prostitutes for the sick children together!!

Mikeside

Saturday 20th October? Not got much planned that day. Count me in :)

Awesome! It's free and really easy to sign up for the site - just have a look on there. You can even join the 'team' which lumps the money into our pool (though you can still assign it to whichever hospital you want to support)

Unfortunately, the team is called W3 AR3 1337 or something :( Totally not my decision.

24 hour vanilla Sims session with no fast forwards.

I'm no masochist.

SKINNER!

Banned
Awesome! It's free and really easy to sign up for the site - just have a look on there. You can even join the 'team' which lumps the money into our pool (though you can still assign it to whichever hospital you want to support)

Unfortunately, the team is called W3 AR3 1337 or something :( Totally not my decision

Sign up to extra-life you mean? I'll take a look at signing up to that site and twitch.tv later on today.

Seanbob11

It's an unfortunate default of the charity, I'm afraid.
If I had my way, all monies would be converted to Scottish tenners in honour of the Royal Hospital for Sick Children being Scottish, but I doubt I have that authority, I'm afraid :(

Why don't you join in, if you fancy doing it? Set up your own Twitch.tv and we can kill aliens, terrorists and prostitutes for the sick children together!!

You talking about yorkhill? I was there for years. Will have to check this out.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
If I had my way, all monies would be converted to Scottish tenners [...]

Clydesdale Tenners or bust.

Seriously speaking, it's weird explaining to people in Asia how Scottish money is completely different (as in different banks make different money, etc). It's actually one of the reasons why I love Hong Kong as they have the same kind of system.

Mikeside

Sign up to extra-life you mean? I'll take a look at signing up to that site and twitch.tv later on today.

Yeah, to Extra Life. Only took me a couple of minutes.

Turns out I already had a Twitch.tv account that I don't remember signing up to, but there we are.

You talking about yorkhill? I was there for years. Will have to check this out.

Yorkhill? I don't know - it's this one, in Sciennes, Edinburgh.

I've never actually been to Scotland, but I had a little look-up of the hospitals available to donate too and decided on that one.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Am getting old, every day I read the paper, listen to local radio and moan about todays youth.

Am 25, I will start preparing my funeral at the rate am going.

Seanbob11

Yeah, to Extra Life. Only took me a couple of minutes.

Turns out I already had a Twitch.tv account that I don't remember signing up to, but there we are.

Yorkhill? I don't know - it's this one, in Sciennes, Edinburgh.

I've never actually been to Scotland, but I had a little look-up of the hospitals available to donate too and decided on that one.

Aw that's Edinburgh's childrens hospital. I went to Glasgow's. Still, living in Edinburgh now so I'll definitely check this out. Just out of curiosity, what made you pick a Scottish hospital?

Mikeside

Aw that's Edinburgh's childrens hospital. I went to Glasgow's. Still, living in Edinburgh now so I'll definitely check this out. Just out of curiosity, what made you pick a Scottish hospital?

I'm not sure, really. I wanted to pick a UK hospital because I like to do things for people on our home turf because I think we forget about that when there's all this pressure to be charitable in the third world etc (not got a problem with that, obviously, I just think there's already a disproportionate focus on it)

So I looked at the available hospitals to donate to and I just felt like I wanted to give to that one.

Am really looking forward to doing it now :)
I realize it's not climbing a mountain or running a marathon, but hopefully some people will watch the stream, participate in the chat and have some fun & we can ultimately raise some money for a good cause.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
You could at least climb ben Nevis while playing your vita the entire way up or something

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Is there any other part of the UK where this "rugby > football" scenario is also the case?

Well, there's Wales for starters, plus pretty well all the South West of England, plus maybe some of the North East.

Plus the Public Schools around London, but you don't necessarily want to go there.

Mikeside

Huh? Mine is pretty good, certainly better than my 3DS and my PSP2000. The sleep mode is fucking crazy too, it doesn't seem to use any power at all.

I'm hugely over-stating it for comic effect, but sleep mode is godly on Vita, as it was on PSP actually.
Wish my 3DS clung on so well.
But I find when I'm playing Vita, it doesn't last so long. That might be because when I play Vita I DO get sucked in for hours, unlike on 3DS where I'm happy to have a quick blast on Theatrhythym or something and I'm done.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Hull's pretty much a rugby town with Hull F.C. representing west of the river and Hull K.R. on the east. Most of the teams in the Super League are in the North.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Am getting old, every day I read the paper, listen to local radio and moan about todays youth.

Am 25, I will start preparing my funeral at the rate am going.

Stop reading the paper and listening to the local radio, problem solved! The papers and radio aren't for people in their 20s anyway. They're dead mediums. Blogs and podcasts!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Gotta keep up with the charts sometimes!

No, no you don't.

It's actually interesting - the charts have become much more meaningless but also strangely relevant to the zeitgeist in this digital download era. Now you get the most random stuff topping the downlaod charts because it was used in an advert or on xfactor or something. The long tail is fucking with our perception of what music 12 year olds are into!

Kentpaul

No, no you don't.

It's actually interesting - the charts have become much more meaningless but also strangely relevant to the zeitgeist in this digital download era. Now you get the most random stuff topping the downlaod charts because it was used in an advert or on xfactor or something. The long tail is fucking with our perception of what music 12 year olds are into!

You do get the occasional crackers like Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know popping there awesome heads up.

Kentpaul

Is "cracker" Scottish for "played into the ground so hard it's currently at the Earth's core"?

Every time Dat ' chorus plays you get excited/want it sing it from rooftops like the rest of us fork. Don't lie

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Songs appearing in the charts because of adverts or tv shows has happened long before the mp3 was invented. Of course that relies on people knowing what the song even is. I've always thought the music industry should ask for the name of the song to appear in the corner of an advert as part of the licence. But logic and the music industry don't mix.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Songs appearing in the charts because of adverts or tv shows has happened long before the mp3 was invented. Of course that relies on people knowing what the song even is. I've always thought the music industry should ask for the name of the song to appear in the corner of an advert as part of the licence. But logic doesn't belong in the music industry don't mix.

I always wanted that, or at least for the company running the advert to name the song on their website or something.

The worst thing is when companies license songs for their adverts, and then use them for years. Like the Peter, Bjorn and John song for the Homebase ads, or that fucking Muller advert's song.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I still fucking hate that Gotye song. Never understood how it got as popular as it did.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lirlond called me out on the last meetup for always posting the same song so I'll have to refrain for the moment.

SKINNER!

Banned
I still fucking hate that Gotye song. Never understood how it got as popular as it did.

I'm guessing people either related to the lyrics or the fact - as Juicy Bob pointed out - it sounds too similar to that nursury rhyme.
First time I heard it was at Nintendo's E3 conference before it begun. Strange song to choose for a conference but hey!

Juicy Bob

Quick question. I saw LA Noire in a shop today for eight quid. I've never played it before but I find the game's premise interesting. Is it worth picking up or should I not bother?

Mikeside

Quick question. I saw LA Noire in a shop today for eight quid. I've never played it before but I find the game's premise interesting. Is it worth picking up or should I not bother?

It depends what you want.
It's different, I'll give it that. I sort of enjoyed the whole grilling the witnesses and suspects thing but the OCD in me hated not getting 100% right on everyone, so that took away from the enjoyment.

The rest of the game felt like sub par GTA crossed with sub part point and click adventure, but plenty of people liked it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom