• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Welsh are great at Rugby. Wish I could say the same about Scotland.

Scotland are good at rugby. Just not good at winning, different thing entirely. Scotland/Wales is usually the most entertaining game of the six nations.

England, whether they win or not, are crap at rugby. (that is an expression of religious belief and so cannot be challenged)

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Did the first reading of the script with the cast and crew tonight.

So funny, sound people and some reaaaal good looking girls. This is gonna be awesome.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Last time I checked that thread I saw Evilore posting a joke(?) about rape. I saw a lot of grey names as well. What happened since then?

Clegg

Welsh rugby have the best international side in the northern hemisphere. Which is rather funny as their club/regional sides are shockingly poor.

They're the reverse of Ireland. Our national side are pretty poor but we have the best club/provincial side in Europe.

Clegg

Are all your guys (like all our guys) playing in France?

Nope, all our best players are centrally contracted by the IRFU. Around 20 of our test players have well paid contracts directly paid by the union. All the money made by Leinster/Munster/Connacht/Ulster is put into a large fund which the IRFU distributes. A fair whack of this fund goes to offering our best players the wages which will keep them from looking abroad

The IRFU also worked a deal with the Irish government whereby Irish rugby players are eligible to receive 40% of all their paid tax over a 10 year period back from the government, provided they have played their professional rugby in Ireland for at least 10 years.

Clegg

Blimey. In that case it beats me why your guys don't do a lot better - they just getting too old?

Combination of things imo.

Some players are definitely getting on a bit. O'Connell doesn't have much left and O'Gara has been crap for years. Even O'Driscoll, the best centre I've ever seen, has started to decline.

Then there is the conflict between the regional sides and the national side. Leinster play the best rugby in Europe. They're aggressive at the breakdown and fluid in attack. Ulster have adopted this strategy and even Munster, famed for their forward oriented approach, have changed to a more attacking style.

But the national coach is still trying to use the old bash through with the forwards method even though we don't have the players for that. We'd be much better suited the the way Leinster play but Declan Kidney either doesn't have the tactical skill to pull it off, or the motivational ability to gear the players up. IMO we have the best attacking fly-half in Europe in Jonny Sexton but when he's with Ireland he's told to do what O'Gara does which is kick the ball to the corners. No attacking just put the other team under pressure.

We have the players to be so much better than we are at the moment. But a new head coach is needed to actually get the best out of them. Kidney has also been criticised for sticking with his old reliables even theough we have younger, better players waiting in line.

Mikeside

So I've joined a group of people (including a couple of friends of mine) in doing a 24 hour gaming marathon on October 20th for Extra Life. I'll be supporting the Royal Hospital for Sick Children.

I'm going to be live-streaming on twitch.tv, so I'll give you guys the link nearer the time.

Is it tacky to put a donation link here too? I'll await consensus before I do anything of the sort, but you can always PM me or hit me up on Steam if you'd like the link.

Yen

So I've joined a group of people (including a couple of friends of mine) in doing a 24 hour gaming marathon on October 20th for Extra Life. I'll be supporting the Royal Hospital for Sick Children.

I'm going to be live-streaming on twitch.tv, so I'll give you guys the link nearer the time.

Is it tacky to put a donation link here too? I'll await consensus before I do anything of the sort, but you can always PM me or hit me up on Steam if you'd like the link.

Put the link here!
I'm broke

Suairyu

Banned
[post=43007289]Here[/post]
Oh cool.

"Making really tasteless and contextually-stupid jokes that would get you banned are fine if it's me!"

As if a term like "PC brigade" wasn't inviting a carnival of stupidity enough by itself.

The entire thread has been a train-wreck and it's entirely the design of a very purposefully created OP coupled with fuel-to-the-fire follow-up posts.

I'm going away to have a very long think about whether I want to be here anymore.

Oh cool.

"Making really tasteless and contextually-stupid jokes that would get you banned are fine if it's me!"

As if a term like "PC brigade" wasn't inviting a carnival of stupidity enough by itself.

I'm going away to have a very long think about whether I want to be here anymore.

EL = one guy

Considering nothing you do is going to break the TOS anyway, just ignore it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It would be sad to see people go because of that one thread.

I'd say it's shown the bad side of OT. Gaming certainly has stooped quite that low.

Zaph

Oh cool.

What makes NeoGAF great is the rules, while sometimes slightly heavy-handed, leads to a breadth of people participating that would otherwise avoid gaming related forums.

If that means occasionally something happens like a fantastic word such as cunt has to be sacrificed, so be it.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but what appears to be happening in that thread is a certain attitude is becoming empowered. An attitude that could turn GAF into another one of the thousands of gaming forums out there.

But I could just be overreacting. I'll go back to lurking this thread now.

SmokyDave

I think it's very disheartening that so many enlightened members feel they need to leave simply because they suspect that someone might say something that offends them somewhere down the line.

I bitched in here months ago about the direction GAF had taken and yet I stuck it out and here we are. If you trust the community, stick with 'em.

I guarantee you're overreacting.

Now you've introduced yourself, you should stick around and post more. We don't bite. Well, most of us.

Clegg

What makes NeoGAF great is the rules, while sometimes slightly heavy-handed, leads to a breadth of people participating that would otherwise avoid gaming related forums.

If that means occasionally something happens like a fantastic word such as cunt has to be sacrificed, so be it.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but what appears to be happening in that thread is a certain attitude is becoming empowered. An attitude that could turn GAF into another one of the thousands of gaming forums out there.

I have to disagree with this part. I think it's just a natural reaction to the rules being loosened a bit. Everything will come back into equilibrium in a short while.

I know some people will disagree but there was definitely a group of posters in Off Topic that tried to dominate discussion in certain topics and backseat mod when they had the chance. I'm glad that Evilore has sorted that out.

Zaph

I have to disagree with this part. I think it's just a natural reaction to the rules being loosd a bit. Everything will come back into equilibrium in a short while.

I know some people will disagree but there was definitely a group of posters in Off Topic that tried to dominate discussion in certain topics and backseat mod when they had the chance. I'm glad that Evilore has sorted that out.
Yeah, hopefully you're right.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Don't do it Suairyu, stick with us!

This new news doesn't mean everyone can start openly being an asshole, it's just like Clegg said: People were being very aggressive and repetitive with their arguments, and in some ways were in fact back seat modding (not to mention ban baiting).

The cunt thread has brought the worst out in some people but in line with recent discussions it was bound to happen. I'd say once that thread is outta the way we should hopefully see a return to form.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Fair enough. Any reason why people are annoyed enough to leave?

People seem to think GAF is days away from being /v/ and everyone will be able to go around calling people niggerfaggots or something. In truth the word cunt was unbanned and EL told people to stop being wound so tight. I don't see anything really changing, other than a more polite atmosphere in threads now people have been told to stop the ban-dogpiling witch hunting bullshit.

The people who lost their accounts over it or did some self-righteous grandstanding will all look silly in a few months once they see TransGAF hasn't been strung up and people arent roaming around with Klan hoods on their avatars looking to lynch some of those dang coloureds.

So basically, "cunt" is okay and now GAF wont consist of ninety thousand hectares of eggshell.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone give a summary of that thread? Last time I looked it was a huge argument about the PC brigade. What has happened now?

EL rescinded the ban on the word cunt because it seemed to be encouraging behavior that was detrimental to OT. Anytime someone posted an opinion in certain threads, certain people would enter those threads and just rag on them without saying anything that contributed to the topic. They were obnoxious rude and treated people like crap if they disagreed with them, without trying to discuss the topic. This behavior continued for a while and got to the point where people would avoid posting in topics and every other topic ended up being the same shit. A lot of people in the thread were happy and just started using the word cunt for no reason.It was seen as going overboard by some but because it stayed in that thread and that thread only so it wasn't seen as a big deal.
Eventually the thread devolved into more talk about rape etc and there were a number of posters in the thread who were doing to behavior EL outlined in the OP. EL made the rape post as a way to show people that we need to stop crying and whinging so much. The response he got from some people just proved his point. He was not advocating rape jokes.

This post by Zap sums it up better than I did;

Context people.

You get a thread from the head honcho telling us to roll with the punches a bit more - huffy people come in and start debating the same stale mate shit that we debate in every other thread even tangentially related to equal rights/feminism/pc/etc.

Then the guy makes a 'rape joke' (it's not a rape joke - it's a pointed barb to fuck with the people that can't roll with it), and bans an otherwise pretty decent poster that has been getting huffy and defensive about the whole PC thing.

There's honestly not that much to get. NeoGAF is the dude's lifeblood and money maker. He's trying to shape the community into having interesting discussions. That's what keeps people coming here and staying here. After the 100th thread that's derailed into equal rights and feminism, with the same few posters harping on that stuff, it's not unfair to want discussions to take another direction.

Basically, let's not react to minor or unintended provocations. Let discussions evolve more naturally. Less piling on, more argumentative charity - which is a concept that escapes most of the less experienced posters; but helps make more interesting discussions where more is elucidated - rather than a constant devolving of points into the same set of talking points repeated ad nauseum.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Like having the boss join you on a work's night out. How far can you let your hair down?
GAF really hasn't changed in the 30 years I've been here, you're still walking on eggshells and dodging hails of burning meteorites most of the time, and I've fallen into traps a few times (some by my own making.) I like the community, it's on the whole full of decent people and there's always something interesting going down, which is why it's such a timesucker. Other places just seem cliquey or full of younglings going through the terrible self importance of the teenage years. Meh, you get that here too, but you also get a better spread.

Heinz Toast Toppers - yay or nay?

Yen

Like having the boss join you on a work's night out. How far can you let your hair down?
GAF really hasn't changed in the 30 years I've been here, you're still walking on eggshells and dodging hails of burning meteorites most of the time, and I've fallen into traps a few times (some by my own making.) I like the community, it's on the whole full of decent people and there's always something interesting going down, which is why it's such a timesucker. Other places just seem cliquey or full of younglings going through the terrible self importance of the teenage years. Meh, you get that here too, but you also get a better spread.

Heinz Toast Toppers - yay or nay?

That stuff looks disgusting. I stay away from any Heinz product bar beans and ketchup after getting worms from their spaghetti and sausage stuff.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Already having problems with the digital switch over. Analogue has gone but i'm not picking up any digital stations at all, I've lost the ones I did have. Might be this TV though, I'll check the others in the morning.

SKINNER!

Banned
That stuff looks disgusting. I stay away from any Heinz product bar beans and ketchup after getting worms from their spaghetti and sausage stuff.

uuuugh, sick!

Speaking of Community, my friend and I decided to dressed up as Inspector Spacetime and Constable Reggie Wigglesworth for his Halloween house party at the end of the month.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I see the word in question as a new toy a kid got for Christmas. There's a lot of buzz at the beginning but eventually it will go back into the closet and won't be heard of again.

Notice a lot of those using it excessively are not even the one's who used to use it.

I think it's very disheartening that so many enlightened members feel they need to leave simply because they suspect that someone might say something that offends them somewhere down the line.

I bitched in here months ago about the direction GAF had taken and yet I stuck it out and here we are. If you trust the community, stick with 'em.

I guarantee you're overreacting.

Now you've introduced yourself, you should stick around and post more. We don't bite. Well, most of us.

I bite sometimes. But no one has complained yet.

And I agree with you Dave. If only J had done the same he might still be with us.

More of us need to use his avatar to campaign for his release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom