• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already own electronics and shoes. If I don't feel guilty about that, I'm not going to feel guilty about shopping in Primark.

Yeah I wasn't being entirely serious, as I said in the Phil Fish thread, I have a hard time getting up in arms about the people I buy shit from. I got a nice coat for Primark, and they're good for socks and stuff, so they're alright by me... *shrug*

Salvador points out the worst part. The one on Oxford Street is fucking bedlam.

Mr. Sam

Most of the time. It's also very hot. Still, if you want lots of inexpensive, not bad looking clothes, that's the place to go.

Eh. At least hipsters have decent taste in music and their women are hot. Hardcore metallers are stuck in 1998 both sartorially and musically. I see kids at college still wearing Slipknot hoodies and it makes me laugh. Get your own music you pussies!

And there is a world of difference between people who listen to and enjoy metal (such as myself on occasion) and people who are subsumed by the style. It's just weird, giving yourself over so entirely to a style. It's like, broaden your horizons, dress with some colour, expand your record collection. Being super into metal is like enforcing virginity upon yourself.

But then again I am not one to judge since I own exactly one pair of (non-work) trousers and about 6 rapidly decaying t-shits. Clothing is not my strong suit. But at least I wear colour!

Fair enough (at least metallers genuinely like their music though) and I do agree with the bolded, although that could be levelled at any genre.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Primark, bro. £2.50 per t-shirt, £10 per pair of trousers.

I made the mistake of buying some shirts from Primark before and it seems to be that the low price is offset by shoddy workmanship and insane design decisions. The spare buttons were placed exactly where I do my trousers up, the care label was massive and sharp and scratched buggery out of my love handles and then most of the buttons fell off within a month.

Also, as a larger man I can hardly find anything there to fit me, seems their trousers top out at a 38 here while I'm a more portly 40.

And anyway, fuck clothes, I have way more interesting stuff to spend my money on :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Fair enough (at least metallers genuinely like their music though) and I do agree with the bolded, although that could be levelled at any genre.

I think the accusation of hipsters not really liking their music is a bit unfair. I'd say my music tastes definitely fall into the realm of the hipster (I went to a slow club show recently and was dismayed at the asymmetrical haircuts) and I love it with all of my heart. No one social group has dibs on loving their stuff more than any other.

I think the accusation of hipsters not really liking their music is a bit unfair. I'd say my music tastes definitely fall into the realm of the hipster (I went to a slow club show recently and was dismayed at the asymmetrical haircuts) and I love it with all of my heart. No one social group has dibs on loving their stuff more than any other.

I have a fair few overlapping interests with hipsters and it pains my heart, almost as much as it pains my heart to see what they've done to my beloved eastend :(

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
£5 jeans from Asda. Does the damage.

As for the earlier "metal fashion/subculture" thing, I wore this trenchcoat back in 2003-2005 (bought it with a student loan alongside a Gamecube and MiniDisc player, ah, those were the days) and as a metal fan I wore the shirts. As I got older, still wore the shirts but didn't wear the trenchcoat as I cycled everywhere. My "fashion" has always gravitated towards metal t-shirts and military surplus. I just don't give a fuck. I also had long hair from 2003-2010, and have been growing it back since then.

I started wearing the trenchcoat again as a laugh really. I found it when I went back home last summer but then said "fuck it, I'm bringing it back to Taiwan with me" and I've found myself wearing it to work every day during the winter.

I can remember being annoyed by the metal/goth scene in Glasgow. Outside of the guys who were in bands they were just as bad as Neds.

Meadows

Banned
£5 jeans from Asda. Does the damage.

As for the earlier "metal fashion/subculture" thing, I wore this trenchcoat back in 2003-2005 (bought it with a student loan alongside a Gamecube and MiniDisc player, ah, those were the days) and as a metal fan I wore the shirts. As I got older, still wore the shirts but didn't wear the trenchcoat as I cycled everywhere. My "fashion" has always gravitated towards metal t-shirts and military surplus. I just don't give a fuck. I also had long hair from 2003-2010, and have been growing it back since then.

I started wearing the trenchcoat again as a laugh really. I found it when I went back home last summer but then said "fuck it, I'm bringing it back to Taiwan with me" and I've found myself wearing it to work every day during the winter.

I can remember being annoyed by the metal/goth scene in Glasgow. Outside of the guys who were in bands they were just as bad as Neds.

Trenchcoats in Taiwan sounds like just about the worst fucking thing in the world.

But I guess I spend my time in the south. The mercilessly hot south. *shudders*

BTW, I'm coming over this June, up for a meet-up again?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, to be fair Primarks' slim fit shirts are great

Speaking of slim fit, I'll tell you what is dumb - slim fit with a 17 inch neck. There are no skinny people with 17 inch necks. It's a fattie size. So why the fuck would there be slim fit shirts that size? Is there a secret majority of bodybuilders buying these things up or something?

It would be cool if the clothing companies did a fat fit, where the shirts had a little more around the tummy while keeping the shoulders and neck nice and snug.

But I digress...

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Trenchcoats in Taiwan sounds like just about the worst fucking thing in the world.

But I guess I spend my time in the south. The mercilessly hot south. *shudders*

BTW, I'm coming over this June, up for a meet-up again?

It's been 9-15c from mid-December until now. Last weekend it was around 25c, but yeah, the trenchcoat's being hung up in a few weeks time until December hits.

I'll be up for a meetup anytime in June, considering I'm about to leave my job and all. Shit's gonna be bangin'. If you're here for the Euros then we could watch a game or two.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Friday. Mine still says dispatching soon :/

I hope I get mine on Friday. I only ordered last night but paid the extra fiver to receive it on release day. They better not screw me! I can't wait though. Funny to think when ME1 came out I finished it and though "Now I have to wait 4 years to see how this ends".

4 years later...

Only 17hrs left before tickets go on sale for Tenacious D at Brixton.

Planning on snagging 3 tickets if I can, one each for me and my GF and one as a B'day prezzie for a mate of mine. he doesn't even know they're gonna be playing a gig over here yet so if I manage to get one for him I'll be printing off the confirmation email and sticking it in his B'day card which he'll see at our annual "Birthday Rock Band Rawkfest" at his place on Sat evening. It would blow his fucking mind!

Anyone else planning on going?

I'd love to go to Download, but I haven't been able to afford to go to a Festival since Daphne and Celeste got bottles of piss thrown at them at Reading (can never remember what year that was, but I remember blink-182 slipping over in it when D&C got dragged off the stage by their minders.. lolworthy).

Dem bills won't pay themselves.

Fuck being a grown up :(

Planning on snagging 3 tickets if I can, one each for me and my GF and one as a B'day prezzie for a mate of mine. he doesn't even know they're gonna be playing a gig over here yet so if I manage to get one for him I'll be printing off the confirmation email and sticking it in his B'day card which he'll see at our annual "Birthday Rock Band Rawkfest" at his place on Sat evening. It would blow his fucking mind!

If you're with O2 and signed up to priority tickets you can get them now.

I'm not going, they're ok and quite amusing but I can't see it being the same live, plus I begrudge spending £35 on a ticket to see a band a really like, let alone one I think is just ok.

I did use my O2 to buy a ticket for a friend who's on vodafone though.

I'll be seeing the D at Download :)

I'd love to go to Download, but I haven't been able to afford to go to a Festival since Daphne and Celeste got bottles of piss thrown at them at Reading (can never remember what year that was, but I remember blink-182 slipping over in it when D&C got dragged off the stage by their minders.. lolworthy).

Screw Download and it's handful of worthy bands. Sonisphere is where the good bands are at this year.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

It was 2000, Mark Hoppus fell in the piss and that year Dave Grohl touched my friend's hand during the crush in the Foo Fighters set. And I met a friend from college during the Deftones' set and we danced in the mud wearing binbags. Best year ever! I also lost a toenail in the Amen circle pit.

EDIT: they should also just call download Neckbeardfest or Gathering of the Juggalos UK and be done with it :p

Being grown up is where it's at. Can go to any festival I want but after last year's Reading effort decided I'm far too old for that. I could possibly be persuaded to go Sziget festival (mainly because Budapest is fucking brilliant) and I could probably have my arm twisted to give Exit another bash. Apart from that, from now on, all gigs will be seated unless I see Gogol Bordello again.

There are elements of being a grown up that I enjoy (free reign is pretty darn sweet)... maybe I should have said "being a responsible adult with outgoings comperable to incomings sucks".

There are elements of being a grown up that I enjoy (free reign is pretty darn sweet)... maybe I should have said "being a responsible adult with outgoings comperable to incomings sucks".

Yeah, that sucks hard. It's only over the past couple of years that I've managed to be living pretty comfortably and I'm in my early thirties.

Yeah, that sucks hard. It's only over the past couple of years that I've managed to be living pretty comfortably and I'm in my early thirties.

34 in a couple of weeks, here.

Just after Christmas I became debt free, but have just had to shell out for a new mattress and sofa (gotta wait till the end of April for delivery... fuckers!). Beginning of the year and end of the year are the worst for me as there's so many B'days, but once we get to late May/June time I should be set and will have a few quid in the savings account for once.

Wouldn't be so bad if my GF's work (fucking Icelands) actually gave her some regular and/or decent hours. As it is she makes enough to contribute to the weekly shop and the rest is on me. Not her fault, and there's fuck all work available to her where we are, but it does put a limit on what we can do.

For the first time since moving out I'll actually have little play money AND some money for the savings too. This time next year I'd say we'll be comfortable. Till then it will be a yo-yo depending on what time of year it is.

SmokyDave

Same. Even then, I'm 'comfortable' because I know what stuff to go without and what to treat myself to. Not sure I'll ever be totally comfortable, short of a surprise windfall.

Mr. Sam

Massive odds don't apply to me, therefore I'm bound to win the lottery any week now. Until then, self-inflicted poverty seems the order of the day.

Same. Even then, I'm 'comfortable' because I know what stuff to go without and what to treat myself to. Not sure I'll ever be totally comfortable, short of a surprise windfall.
That's why I'm studying to be a sparky (domestic) in my spare time as it's the only way I can see me being relatively happy in my job and earning a fair bit of money. Will set up as a one man band once qualified and as long as I can get at least two days a week consistent work, I'll be laughing.

Fur_Q

I'm going to budapest in april. Heard it's great and the drink is mad cheap. Anything cool to do there?

I read this in this guys voice.

4pwla.jpg

"Mad Cheap"

Don't know mate never been.

34 in a couple of weeks, here.

Just after Christmas I became debt free, but have just had to shell out for a new mattress and sofa (gotta wait till the end of April for delivery... fuckers!). Beginning of the year and end of the year are the worst for me as there's so many B'days, but once we get to late May/June time I should be set and will have a few quid in the savings account for once.

Wouldn't be so bad if my GF's work (fucking Icelands) actually gave her some regular and/or decent hours. As it is she makes enough to contribute to the weekly shop and the rest is on me. Not her fault, and there's fuck all work available to her where we are, but it does put a limit on what we can do.

For the first time since moving out I'll actually have little play money AND some money for the savings too. This time next year I'd say we'll be comfortable. Till then it will be a yo-yo depending on what time of year it is.
I have zero savings, that's probably why I'm comfortable! :lol

My gf is moving in with me in August and then we're going to be saving hardcore for a mortgage. Cutting out takeaways and having a packed lunch would save me close to £300 a month, I need to stop being such a lazy bastard.

Qasiel

I got a couple of tickets through O2 Priority for the Tuesday show. It's gonna be awesome!

I'd have gone to Download this year, but I'm off to Scotland with Musha_Soturi & a few friends for the UCI Downhill Champs, which happens to be on the same weekend. I'm also going to Bloodstock this year for my best mate's Stag Do (I'm organising it), so I can't really afford to lay down the £500 total going to Download would ultimately cost.

I'm going to budapest in april. Heard it's great and the drink is mad cheap. Anything cool to do there?

Drink is about 50p to a pound for a lager. What do you like doing? Some things to consider:

Baths (I didn't bother as was almost 40 degrees when I was out there), Parliament building, Heroes Square, House of Terror, Margit Island, good bars and restaurants.

Bit of a photodump from the holiday here with a couple from Novi sad thrown in at the end. Beware, may cure insomnia.

I have zero savings, that's probably why I'm comfortable! :lol

My gf is moving in with me in August and then we're going to be saving hardcore for a mortgage. Cutting out takeaways and having a packed lunch would save me close to £300 a month, I need to stop being such a lazy bastard.

My GF moved in with me in 2005, and I don't eat lunch.

Haven't eaten a regular breakfast or lunch since I was 14 or so. Not sure why. have the odd sandwich at around lunchtime on a Saturday sometimes (still rare, like maybe once every 2 months or so). I've probably fucked my body up so much, lol.

Fur_Q

Drink is about 50p to a pound for a lager. What do you like doing? Some things to consider:

Baths (I didn't bother as was almost 40 degrees when I was out there), Parliament building, Heroes Square, House of Terror, Margit Island, good bars and restaurants.

Bit of a photodump from the holiday here with a couple from Novi sad thrown in at the end. Beware, may cure insomnia.

Oh god your account name is BennyBlancoFTB hahaha, love it.

Nice Shirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom