• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
421238_251719104922429_100002530234928_553414_61.jpg

Never try and arm wrestle a norwegian.. Dude defeated me

Kentpaul

the dude was awesome lol, fuck i love spain!

I'l miss spain, ain't going back to October :(

Kentpaul

It makes me sad that after a few beers i end up arm wrestling with Norwegian body builders. Its a prime example of why i should not drink.

But i do anyway

Suairyu

Banned
Work experience with the big media company starts tomorrow! Hopefully I can mingle well and do a good enough job to make an impression. Slightly nervous but not to a ridiculously level, so that's probably the right amount of nervous to be.

Lirlond

Was at Leader training this weekend. Always a laugh. I got to take the piss out of the United States doing a skit. Good times.

Salvadora

Work experience with the big media company starts tomorrow! Hopefully I can mingle well and do a good enough job to make an impression. Slightly nervous but not to a ridiculously level, so that's probably the right amount of nervous to be.

Are you going to have a drink before work? :p

Songbird

Prodigal Son

Best of luck, Suairyu! I'm super jealous of your experience being with media. Is it okay if I could PM you some questions on things like how you came about the opportunity?

Xun

Just another reminder that we're just under a week to go until the London-GAF meetup!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463240

PgVWg.png

We've been contemplating it for a while, but I wanted to finally get the ball rolling. I thought the best date for such a meetup would be on Saturday, 24th March since this gives us time to organise.

The first place I thought we'd go (as suggested by Qasiel) would be De Hems which is situated near Chinatown. This would allow for some quiet drinking at a decent price, before going somewhere livelier.

Possible places to go after could include Wetherspoons (one in Charing Cross, one in Leicester Square), Yates's (Leicester Square), The Intrepid Fox (Soho), Namco Station (Soutbank) and anywhere else decent.

Details:

kBPGI.png
WFFa5.jpg

De Hems at 7pm

11 Macclesfield Street
London W1D 5BW
http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/de-hems-dutch-bar-london

De Hems is a café, pub and oyster-house in the Chinatown area of Soho, London, England just off Shaftesbury Avenue. It made its name purveying oysters and now sells beers from the Low countries such as Grolsch and Heineken with Dutch food such as bitterballen and frikandellen.
It is on the site of the Horse & Dolphin coaching inn which was built in 1685 and had been owned by bare-knuckle boxer Bill 'The Black Terror' Richmond in the early 19th century. This was rebuilt in 1890 by the accomplished pub architects, Saville and Martin, for the publican, Mr Crimmen. It was renamed The Macclesfield, being in Macclesfield Street, and was soon leased by a retired Dutch sea captain called "Papa" De Hem who ran it as an oyster-house, charging a shilling and fourpence ha'penny for a serving.

It was patronised by fin-de-siècle literati such as the poet Swinburne, who travelled 10 miles daily to eat oysters at the long marble bar, and George Sims who wrote a quatrain in praise:

When oysters to September yield,
and grace the grotto'd Macclesfield,
I will be there, my dear De Hem,
to wish you well and sample them.

The rhyme alludes to the common proverb that it is only safe to eat oysters when there is an R in the name of the month — after the hot summer months from May to August. The grotto referred to was The Shell Room upstairs, created from the discarded oyster shells which decorated its walls — some 300,000 at their peak. Only a few now remain but the bar now claims to sell a similar number of pints of Oranjeboom each year.

In the early twentieth century, literary figures such as Clemence Dane continued to purchase the establishment's oysters, stout and champagne for their theatrical celebrations. In the twenties, it became the hangout of gangsters too. When World War I started, patriotic Papa De Hem gave his staff £50 each to return to their threatened country. During World War II, after Holland actually fell to the German invasion, Dutch resistance exiles then met regularly at the pub which became their unofficial headquarters. Another patron at that time was the notorious spy, Kim Philby, who was friendly with the chef, who wore a tall white hat.
In 1959, it was renamed De Hems in honour of the captain and then, in the sixties, it became popular with music industry people such as Alan Price, Georgie Fame and Andrew Oldham, manager of the Rolling Stones. At the turn of the new century, the venue hosted a comedy club — the Oranje Boom-Boom Cabaret — which included the debut of The Mighty Boosh.
In the early 21st century, De Hems was popular as a place to celebrate and follow the successful Dutch football team. During the 2010 World Cup, hundreds of fans had to be turned away and manager Sian Blair had to hire a security staff of seven bouncers for the occasion. The upstairs and downstairs bars each accommodated a hundred cheerful revellers for these big matches.

Confirmed:

• Xun
  • Yami
  • J Tourettes
  • Qasiel
  • zomgbbqftw
  • BGBW
  • Bleepey
  • SteveWD40
  • Thnikkaman
  • Musha_Soturi
  • Mecha_Infantry
  • eggybob
  • Wiseblade
  • Ninja Dom
  • blahblah...blah
  • radioheadrule83
  • Tashbrooke
  • TheGoldenGunman
  • JonCha
  • DECK'ARD
  • JessicaPadkin
  • dalyr95
  • Bernbaum
  • Darren870
  • Stubo
  • Chittagong
  • faridmon
  • Scribble
  • Meteorain
  • discocaine
  • Ultravi0lence

Maybe:

• donkey show
  • Ark
  • Lucius86
  • Jason Raize '75 - '04
  • Corky
  • SmokyDave
  • KungFuBill
  • ThoughtsOfSpeaking
  • HereticusAlpha
  • Ravensmash

Kentpaul

are they paying you anything?

SmokyDave

421238_251719104922429_100002530234928_553414_61.jpg

Never try and arm wrestle a norwegian.. Dude defeated me

It's your technique. You arm needs to be more 'upright' to overcome his slightly longer forearm. Arm-wrestling is 40% strength, 60% technique.

(I have broken wrists arm-wrestling before so do not take my advice)

Kentpaul

It's your technique. You arm needs to be more 'upright' to overcome his slightly longer forearm. Arm-wrestling is 40% strength, 60% technique.

I was drunk as shit lol, i will take your advice on that one because i always get beat arm wrestling even on humans that are clearly weaker than me in everyday.

Dude was awesome, I hope to get big ass muscles like his next time i go back to benidorm.

leadbelly

Banned

I was going to say this. I remember they had an arm-wrestling contest as part of the World Strongest Man competition one year. One of the guys that year was a really good arm-wrestler. He was a big guy, but not as big as some of the other guys there. The one guy he came up against was absolutely huge in comparison to him, yet not only did he win, he broke his arm as well. I remember wondering how the hell he did that because this guy was huge. It was actually explained that he didn't, the guy actually broke his own arm.

It's all about the technique you see. Because that guy had a very good technique, instead of forcing his arm down he only managed to break his own arm with his own strength.

Thankfully I was NOT one of those captured on film by the DM.
That's not to say I wasn't well and truly bolloxed on Saturday after the cumilation of the rugby in a spectacular Grand Slam for Wales. My heart was warm, my head fuzzy and I promptly passed out in my own bed around 10:30pm!

Thanks for putting a negative spin on an otherwise glorious weekend Daily Fail *grump*

Suairyu

Banned
are they paying you anything?
No, but its very short term and designed to give an all-around feel for the company, so it's not completely exploitative.

I've come very over dressed. The code was "business casual" so I came in a suit minus the tie. Everyone is walking around in jeans and hoodies. My supervisor is wearing slippers. Oh well. Better over dressed than under, though short of being nude I'm not sure how I'd achieve being under dressed in this place...

They have my transcribing interview footage today. Obviously I can't go into details as to the content due to confidentiality. Everyone seems nice and friendly and free to drop the f-bomb if they get annoyed. For a corporate environment it is really weird feeling.

Kentpaul

No, but its very short term and designed to give an all-around feel for the company, so it's not completely exploitative.

I've come very over dressed. The code was "business casual" so I came in a suit minus the tie. Everyone is walking around in jeans and hoodies. My supervisor is wearing slippers. Oh well. Better over dressed than under, though short of being nude I'm not sure how I'd achieve being under dressed in this place...

They have my transcribing interview footage today. Obviously I can't go into details as to the content due to confidentiality. Everyone seems nice and friendly and free to drop the f-bomb if they get annoyed. For a corporate environment it is really weird feeling.

a suit eh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bULBnef6w6k#t=3m27s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom