• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

BBC Scotland uses a video of one of my old friends being kicked into the side of the road in Galashiels by a group of other old friends as stock footage of drink-fuelled drunken disorder. I always said he should sue for royalty payments.

Hell, Tam Cowan used the video as the punchline as a joke for "Kenny Miller being welcomed back to Glasgow" when he rejoined Rangers in 2008.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
back from the bank. Left my bank card in an bank cashdraw machine in spain when i was shitfaced and thought some dude behind me may have lifted all my cash lol, but all is well so i cancelled my card and have all my cash intact

i for one was a little worried about the entire thing.

SmokyDave

I'm going to see Joan Baez tomorrow. That's rather exciting.

back from the bank. Left my bank card in an bank cashdraw machine in spain when i was shitfaced and thought some dude behind me may have lifted all my cash lol, but all is well so i cancelled my card and have all my cash intact

i for one was a little worried about the entire thing.

I love that you checked your balance before cancelling your card.

Kentpaul

I'm going to see Joan Baez tomorrow. That's rather exciting.

I love that you checked your balance before cancelling your card.

Cancelled the card on the phone yesterday and had to use my prov driving licence prove who I was. Some hassle

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
421238_251719104922429_100002530234928_553414_61.jpg

Never try and arm wrestle a norwegian.. Dude defeated me

le-male.jpg

?

Kentpaul

So that went really well. Almost feel like I am back in work, which is a wonderful feeling. Absolutely hate being on the dole. Not so much the lack of money, but more the lack of dignity that comes from doing nothing with your days and being a bum.

I don't get it.

Wanted any excuse to share the video with the thread.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
So that went really well. Almost feel like I am back in work, which is a wonderful feeling. Absolutely hate being on the dole. Not so much the lack of money, but more the lack of dignity that comes from doing nothing with your days and being a bum.

Crap, innit? :(

Misfits

Neo Member
Did anyone watch the bbc1 show about honor killings in the UK? Some genuinely terrifying stats at the end, nearly half of all young asians believe in the honor code and all that it brings.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did anyone watch the bbc1 show about honor killings in the UK? Some genuinely terrifying stats at the end, nearly half of all young asians believe in the honor code and all that it brings.

Nearly 50% of all young Asians? Did they expand the term of honour killing to include seppuku?

SmokyDave

The other half being female, presumably.

I can't say as I'm shocked.

Suairyu

Banned
So did they ask all the Asians that immigrated from countries and cultures that don't have any traditions of honour killings? Because that statistic sounds super weighted to me. Honour killings are a damn travesty but if 50% of the Asian population genuinely believed in them, we'd see a lot more than we do. As it happens, we see about 12 cases a year in the UK.

SmokyDave

So did they ask all the Asians that immigrated from countries and cultures that don't have any traditions of honour killings? Because that statistic sounds super weighted to me. Honour killings are a damn travesty but if 50% of the Asian population genuinely believed in them, we'd see a lot more than we do. As it happens, we see about 12 cases a year in the UK.

That's still one a month, man. How many 'honour transgressions' would you expect in a year?

50% seems like a large amount.

At that rate I would have met someone who believed in that BS.
Is it something that you mention in polite conversation?

Otherwise, I don't know how you'd know that you haven't.

Misfits

Neo Member

i'm pretty sure they asked british born asians, men and women.

it's on iplayer if anyone wants to watch. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dxzzv/Panorama_Britains_Crimes_of_Honour/

women who are brought over from the home countries are often beaten and not allowed to learn english or even go out.

there's one very sad story about a woman who either self immolated or was set on fire by inlaws. she was regularly beaten by her husband because he couldn't stand to look at her and her dad wouldn't let her come home as it would bring shame.

SmokyDave

excuse me off-topic

why you guys call the toilet " loo " ?

Unknown; possible origins include:

French lieu, place

A particular brand of early toilet cisterns, trademarked 'Waterloo'.

(fancifully) the exclamation "gare à l'eau!" ("mind the water!") used when emptying a chamber pot out of a window onto the public sidewalk or street.

the numbering of 00 on a toilet in a building

But, nobody really knows.

excuse me off-topic

why you guys call the toilet " loo " ?

From Wikipedia:

The origin of the (chiefly British) term loo is unknown. According to the OED, the etymology is obscure, but it might derive from the word Waterloo. The first recorded entry is in fact from James Joyce's Ulysses (1922): "O yes, mon loup. How much cost? Waterloo. Watercloset".
Other theories are:
That it derives from the term "gardyloo" (a corruption of the French phrase gardez l'eau (or maybe: Gare de l'eau!) loosely translated as "watch out for the water!") which was used in medieval times when chamber pots were emptied from a window onto the street. However the first recorded usage of "loo" comes long after this term became obsolete.

That the word comes from nautical terminology, loo being an old-fashioned word for lee. The standard nautical pronunciation (in British English) of leeward is looward. Early ships were not fitted with toilets but the crew would urinate over the side of the vessel. However it was important to use the leeward side. Using the windward side would result in the urine blown back on board: hence the phrases 'pissing into the wind' and 'spitting into the wind'. Even now most yachtsmen refer to the loo rather than the heads.

That the word derives from the 17th century preacher Louis Bourdaloue. Bourdaloue's sermons at the Saint Paul-Saint Louis Church in Paris lasted at least three hours and myth has it that wealthier ladies took along "travelling" chamber pots that could be hidden under their dresses whenever the need arose to avoid the need to leave. Due to the popularity of the myth the bowls became known as Bourdaloues after the preacher and the name became corrupted to portaloos and sometimes just plain loos due to the habit of shortening words in slang.[citation needed]

I'd heard the "gardyloo" theory before. Apparently there was a particular time at night in Edinburgh, when everyone would simultaneously throw their chamberpots out the window. No citation, though, so take all that with a pinch of salt.

daviyoung

Banned
I've always known it as a butchering of the French gardez l'eau too.

Most people I know say bog, even though crapper named after toilet plumber Thomas Crapper is my favourite.

does anyone still say loo? i haven't heard that since high school. everyone says toilet nowadays.
*hand up* I do sometimes...
My dad is another of the "bog" users though, so I have no idea why/when I started using the word "loo".

EDIT:
Had no idea that was the origin of "crapper" either, I have learnt something new and all before 10:00am.

Murkas

Can't remember the last time I heard the word loo.

That's still one a month, man. How many 'honour transgressions' would you expect in a year?

Is it something that you mention in polite conversation?

Otherwise, I don't know how you'd know that you haven't.

A good number of Asians (that I know) eat non-halal meat, don't pray, drink (yet for some reason will still stay away from pork, I wonder why the line draws there), I just find it hard to believe that they do all that while at the same time believe in honour killngs.

SmokyDave

A good number of Asians (that I know) eat non-halal meat, don't pray, drink (yet for some reason will still stay away from pork, I wonder why the line draws there), I just find it hard to believe that they do all that while at the same time believe in honour killngs.
That's cool and all, but that just suggests you're hanging with the other 50%.

Maybe I'm unlucky but I knew a convert that was literally on the run from her husband. She opened my eyes to the fact there was a whole other community with its own rules and laws. I couldn't convince her to go to the police and as far as I know, she's still on the run. She had to leave Notts after she saw her husband and his brother in the city centre, on her trail.

I also grew up with a few lads that drinked, smoked and totally believed in this sort of shit. They were massive hypocrites. We even used to laugh that one dad wouldn't let me in the house as he openly referred to me as 'the kuffar', even though I'd been friends with both his sons for a decade.

Mr. Sam

A good number of Asians (that I know) eat non-halal meat, don't pray, drink (yet for some reason will still stay away from pork, I wonder why the line draws there)
I've two Muslim friends and this describes them. I don't know what it is with pork. Sex and alcohol are fine - pork is a no go. Maybe they're just like Jules from Pulp Fiction.

Murkas

That's cool and all, but that just suggests you're hanging with the other 50%.

Maybe I'm unlucky but I knew a convert that was literally on the run from her husband. She opened my eyes to the fact there was a whole other community with its own rules and laws. I couldn't convince her to go to the police and as far as I know, she's still on the run. She had to leave Notts after she saw her husband and his brother in the city centre, on her trail.

I also grew up with a few lads that drinked, smoked and totally believed in this sort of shit. They were massive hypocrites. We even used to laugh that one dad wouldn't let me in the house as he openly referred to me as 'the kuffar', even though I'd been friends with both his sons for a decade.

That's fucked up, sorry to hear that.

I can picture an honour killing happening in my extended family

FreeMufasa

From my experience, the people that do that haven't had pork for say the first 18 years of their life so probably don't eat it out of tradition. I'd say the desire to drink and smoke is much larger than to eat pork.

I've had it with the hypocrites and have cut a lot of people out of my life because of it, most recent being 2 weeks ago. This dude started ranting to me because we saw a girl in a Hijab but had it hiked back a bit showing her fringe. A couple of days later I he was heavily drinking outside his house being rowdy as hell.

Kentpaul

good luck Suairyu. Sure sometimes its a bad feeling when your heading into work but after a few hours you turn into a bot anyway so its all good. last hour is always a real cunt casually watching the time tick closer till home time.

I have to admit i prefer when my workplace gives me 3 shifts instead of 5 for a week. I call that getting lucky as fuck.

also the British cash we earn. a 20 bank note never looked so fucking good when its fresh out of the bank.

also guys i wish my local Indian opened at this time, I am starved.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
With 35% of the Asian population how much of China does this 50% include? Otherwise we're dealing with a situation where other Asian countries have over 50% of the population supporting honour killings.

This is why I feel this 50% figure was plucked out of nowhere to cause even more controversy. Which is strange because the kind of people to watch a programme about the subject are not likely to support the idea anywho.

SmokyDave

With 35% of the Asian population how much of China does this 50% include? Otherwise we're dealing with a situation where other Asian countries have over 50% of the population supporting honour killings.

This is why I feel this 50% figure was plucked out of nowhere to cause even more controversy. Which is strange because the kind of people to watch a programme about the subject are not likely to support the idea anywho.

We don't use 'Asian' to refer to east-asia.

Murkas

I think they're just referring to Muslims when they say Asians. We don't call east Asians "Asians" here for some reason.

Were there any Indians in this study for example?

I agree with the 50% being wrong, that means half, HALF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom