• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikaru

Another classic Manager is Special picture.
575ec73a.png

Edit: Ah, it's an old one, just noticed spelling though (what? It's early!).

Oh dear.

If game are offering 220 for a vita I might as well buy one to try and if I dislike it after a week, money back.

Really don't get why game offer that much for one, surely the higher ups know that it's £200 to buy elsewhere, of course these kind of trade in abusers will appear and zap their money.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
If game are offering 220 for a vita I might as well buy one to try and if I dislike it after a week, money back.

Really don't get why game offer that much for one, surely the higher ups know that it's £200 to buy elsewhere, of course these kind of trade in abusers will appear and zap their money.

They need stock to sell... gotta fill the store with pre-owned somehow.

erila

Neo Member
Am I the only person in the UK that actually likes Game?

I live in a rural area, not too far from a major shopping centre. I have the fastest internet connection that it's possible to get in this area. In the time it takes to download a new release on Steam I could hop on the bus, go to Game, pick up the title I want, go for a meal and a pint while I read the manual (as long as it's not an Ubi game :p), pick up some snacks for the evening, and take a leisurely ride back. There's a good chance the download would still be going after all that.

Mail order isn't an option because thieving posties, mis-deliveries (we get deliveries meant for a street with the same name in a different town far too often) and people that like to tap-dance on jiffy bags mean I've given up on that.

The local Game has better stock than HMV or any easy to get to supermarket. The staff are friendly, and it's nice to chat with them. They know me now, so the strategy guide/extra controller/pre-order up sell rarely happens.

The local Grainger Games is smelly, dirty, staffed by rude people, priced close to what Game charges once you consider loyalty points, and doesn't store their games properly, so half the time you buy a game "new" and it's scratched to pieces.

Maybe I'm lucky, and since there are several Game branches in the area they've been forced to compete with each other and provide decent service, but I'd be sad to see them go.

Are people really still surprised at Game's higher ups knowing pretty much nothing?

-Cally-

Neo Member

I live in a rural area, not too far from a major shopping centre. I have the fastest internet connection that it's possible to get in this area. In the time it takes to download a new release on Steam I could hop on the bus, go to Game, pick up the title I want, go for a meal and a pint while I read the manual (as long as it's not an Ubi game :p), pick up some snacks for the evening, and take a leisurely ride back. There's a good chance the download would still be going after all that.

Mail order isn't an option because thieving posties, mis-deliveries (we get deliveries meant for a street with the same name in a different town far too often) and people that like to tap-dance on jiffy bags mean I've given up on that.

The local Game has better stock than HMV or any easy to get to supermarket. The staff are friendly, and it's nice to chat with them. They know me now, so the strategy guide/extra controller/pre-order up sell rarely happens.

The local Grainger Games is smelly, dirty, staffed by rude people, priced close to what Game charges once you consider loyalty points, and doesn't store their games properly, so half the time you buy a game "new" and it's scratched to pieces.

Maybe I'm lucky, and since there are several Game branches in the area they've been forced to compete with each other and provide decent service, but I'd be sad to see them go.

Lol you won't find any top PC games in GAME anyway

Are people really still surprised at Game's higher ups knowing pretty much nothing?

It just seems bad to me, i'm no exec manager myself but wow

I used to use them nearly all the time years ago, reward points and buying a game or three monthly ment that I would rack up points rather fast, but that was back when I had my first full pay job and could blow the money, and the internet and it's super cheap pricing was only just starting to appear (play.com was new at the time!)

Now though I just buy online, it's cheaper and now shopto do points rewards but up to twice the value of game if you buy from them enough to get a gold account, so that's £5 per 100 spent instead of 2.50

glaurung

Just been to GAME to pick up my Vita.

I won't miss the shop but I really do feel for the staff. They're a good bunch.
I hope you kneed at least one of them in the groin for all the bullshit that has been documented in this thread.

Or twice for my sad tale of FFXIII-2.

SmokyDave

I hope you kneed at least one of them in the groin for all the bullshit that has been documented in this thread.

Or twice for my sad tale of FFXIII-2.

Nah, it ain't their fault. That's the fault of some guy in a suit that doesn't play videogames. It's like shouting at a credit card call centre because you're unhappy with interest rates.

Interestingly, all the stuff has those 'Property of Sony until point of sale' stickers on them.

glaurung

Yeah, because all GAME staff are to blame. Idiot.
Yeah, I know it's a pointless gesture.

But it's the same way with the great chain of life. You - the consumer - knee a salesperson in the groin and maybe, just maybe they'll punch one of their managers as an indirect result.

Danj

knee a salesperson in the groin and maybe, just maybe they'll punch one of their managers as an indirect result.

Sadly I don't think you can adapt the butterfly effect to work with people, so kneeing a salesdrone in the groin doesn't mean the high up muckety mucks will receive a storm of Falcon punches or something.

Vagabundo

I've got a fiver on my game card but can't find anything to buy with it. :(

A few used PS3 games. Nothing that really jumps out at me.

mxgt

Banned
Just been to GAME to pick up my Vita.

I won't miss the shop but I really do feel for the staff. They're a good bunch.
Likewise, guys at my local are total bro's. had an hour long discussion with one once about Dark Souls and I only went in to get an itunes gift card for a friend.

Murkas

All this Grainger Games talk makes me want to have one in Birmingham. They sound quite decent.

Instead I had 2 gamestations and 3 games within 10 mins of each other (1 of each store closed down).

There was an ePlay at one point as well, they were ok.

Linkified

All this Grainger Games talk makes me want to have one in Birmingham. They sound quite decent.

Instead I had 2 gamestations and 3 games within 10 mins of each other (1 of each store closed down).

There was an ePlay at one point as well, they were ok.

A thing to be wary of last time I visited the store in Newcastle all the DS game stock was US copies. Which struck me as strange. But that was about 8 months ago so who knows if they have stopped that.

A thing to be wary of last time I visited the store in Newcastle all the DS game stock was US copies. Which struck me as strange. But that was about 8 months ago so who knows if they have stopped that.

The one here still has a lot of imported DS and PS3 titles. It's good and bad I guess. I'm really hoping they get the US version of Ni No Kuni later this year. On the other hand, I wouldn't be able to trade it in anywhere else (but why would I do that anyway.)

We get a lot of people buying games from there and try to trade them in at GameStation. We can't take them; even if the average joe doesn't even realise they're American. As far as I'm lead to believe, the reason we cannot take them is due to the ESRB age ratings.

123rl said:
If Game are stupid enough to offer cash above the selling price elsewhere and expect 2nd hand units to sell at £225 then they are idiots.

I find it odd the trade in price is so high, but the £225 price isn't worth even bothering with. I doubt anyone is going to want a pre-owned console at a fiver less. However, I think once the proper pre-owned bundles come in the second hand stock will be put to good use.

Linkified

The one here still has a lot of imported DS and PS3 titles. It's good and bad I guess. I'm really hoping they get the US version of Ni No Kuni later this year. On the other hand, I wouldn't be able to trade it in anywhere else (but why would I do that anyway.)

We get a lot of people buying games from there and try to trade them in at GameStation. We can't take them; even if the average joe doesn't even realise they're American. As far as I'm lead to believe, the reason we cannot take them is due to the ESRB age ratings.

Plus its so grey market its not even funny...

I find it odd the trade in price is so high, but the £225 price isn't worth even bothering with. I doubt any one is going to want a pre-owned console at a fiver less. However, I think once the proper pre-owned bundles come in the second hand stock will be put to good use.
It's part of the whole "Play for £10" offer that they are running, basically tempting people on the fence to pick up a Vita and only lose a little bit of cash if you don't like it. They probably aren't making a penny on the hardware but the idea is to get people to pick up a game and memory card too, making the profit there instead.

And yeah, a fiver less for pre-owned isn't good - however if most of them being traded in are actually new and sealed they'll be gone immediately.

PaulLFC

The one in Liverpool has a few import games, but the vast majority of stuff seemed to be UK stock.

I've noticed they're nearly always cheaper than Game/Gamestation now for new releases (all Vita games were at least £5 cheaper, for example). I don't know if that's due to them having fewer stores (although surely this would be balanced a bit by the economies of scale for Game Group), or just the fact that Game/Gamestation never bother trying to compete on price - at least if that interview quote from a few days ago is true.

Sorry if posted, but there's a new Eurogamer article up. SSX will be the last EA game that GAME is going to stock, and that includes Mass Effect 3...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-29-game-not-stocking-mass-effect-3-or-ea-games-past-ssx

No idea what that'll mean for those with N7 edition preorders :-/

So how are you employees going to spin this one?
If you have a pre-order, GAME will refund you via in-store credit, rather than with cash.

syoaran

Sorry if posted, but there's a new Eurogamer article up. SSX will be the last EA game that GAME is going to stock, and that includes Mass Effect 3...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-29-game-not-stocking-mass-effect-3-or-ea-games-past-ssx

No idea what that'll mean for those with N7 edition preorders :-/

Just saw this......

If this is for real then this really is the end, can't see them surviving without big title hits like ME3

Wait... does that mean there is no way to get a retail copy of the N7 edition ME3 in the UK?

Wouldn't it just be the most depressing thing ever if Game continued but ONLY stocked preowned games? So CEX but with less business sense and even worse customer service?

MRORANGE

"Eurogamer has corroborated this information with individual GAME Group stores. The last stocked EA game will be SSX, we were told.

If you have a pre-order, GAME will refund you via in-store credit, rather than with cash."

iNvid02

GAME Group will not be stocking any EA games past SSX in March,

surely this is temporary

ea releases in march are ssx, fifa street, mass effect 3, tiger woods 13

surely this is temporary

Wording suggests that the last EA game they sell will be SSX, which is released in March. Although like you point out, it's not clear whether ME3 is the only March release affected, or it's everything going forward.

Omikaru

"Eurogamer has corroborated this information with individual GAME Group stores. The last stocked EA game will be SSX, we were told.

If you have a pre-order, GAME will refund you via in-store credit, rather than with cash."

That's fucking bullshit right there. Anyone who is burned by this (and judging by ME3's record pre-orders, that's a lot) isn't going to go back to game, thus exasperating their problem.

Though after this, I'm 99% sure they're toast now. I had a slight nagging feeling that they may pull through, but not now.

winstano

surely this is temporary

ME3 is a pretty big tentpole release. The fact that GAME group had an exclusive on the CE until about 15 minutes ago is a very worrying sign for them.

JordanKZ

Seems legit. The previously exclusive collectors edition of Mass Effect 3 is now up for Pre-order on shopto.

Mass Effect 3 is easily the biggest title of this month and possibly the first half of this year, this is going to be a huge loss for GAME...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom