• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Brera quoted by an user called Stop It.
Finally.

Heh, unintentional but hey, I like it!

The GAME name will survive, despite everything they do still have significant brand equity and someone will save them, eventually. However they have too many stores and even then they are not efficiently run. They'll go into Administration, close a good 33% or more of their stores, kill the Gamestation name and come back a leaner company that can actually trade better without effectively having to compete with themselves.

Ah I guess it was a one off then! Wondered if it was one of the products to get marked down in the sale. Could it have been anything to do with being in a bundle but just buying the guide as I didn't need the game?

Nope, the company simply writes unsold guides off when they deem them as too old, they scan through as 1p as that is the lowest set price something can be on the till and the stock level is set to 0 regardless of how many copies are in stock. If the store is on the ball you'll never see one of these guides on the shelves.

I'll drop in tomorrow morning, does anyone know what their trade in values will be like now, I assume pretty low?
Well the 25% extra offer is still going on, so the gap between the trade-in and sale prices is small on some games.

Brera

Banned
Looks like we're reaching the end game. 6 million in two weeks? I think that's doable. They'll be selling at a loss but cash is cash and a fire sale will get people through the doors and 49p for FIFA 09 is 49p they wouldn't normally get.

Once people are in the store, they might buy a Vita or a 360, or maybe a strategy guide for GOW2 to go with their bargain purchase?

If I sell now, I make a loss of about £140...I might just wait it out and see what happens in 2 weeks.

Looks like we're reaching the end game. 6 million in two weeks? I think that's doable. They'll be selling at a loss but cash is cash and a fire sale will get people through the doors and 49p for FIFA 09 is 49p they wouldn't normally get.

Once people are in the store, they might buy a Vita or a 360, or maybe a strategy guide for GOW2 to go with their bargain purchase?

If I sell now, I make a loss of about £140...I might just wait it out and see what happens in 2 weeks.

You do that son. Remember, whatever mistakes you make, your mother and I still love ya.

In 2 weeks you lose all of your money, post something very defensive/insulting in this very thread, then you get banned.

Massa

So GAME is not getting stock on new games, and now they're clearing their stock of used games... I think I'll buy some shares myself!

Brera

Banned
Wait....what? So do you think GAME are trying to force RBS's hand here by basically setting themselves aflame and making the government step in to force RBS to give them a cash injection??

That's an ingenious plan!

If that is the plan then the GAME board are more devious than I had them down as. I thought they'd use a firesale internet rumor to get people into the stores and then ramp the prices up a bit so they make a bit more!

I might have to try and get some more cash from somwhere to buy more shares, I'm hoping from a 200% increase like HMV experienced last month!

That's an ingenious plan!

If that is the plan then the GAME board are more devious than I had them down as. I thought they'd use a firesale internet rumor to get people into the stores and then ramp the prices up a bit so they make a bit more!

I might have to try and get some more cash from somwhere to buy more shares, I'm hoping from a 200% increase like HMV experienced last month!

money-bin-scrooge-mcduck.jpg

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Stop giving him attention then. Christ, you've all been petting and playing with him for days now, he must feel like dog of the show at crufts. All that remains now is to have him put down as he seems to be very poorly.

Brera

Banned
You all laugh now but mega buxx are not a laughing matter!

I promised you a megaton yesterday and it came. All you little GAME haters are frothing at the mouth at dashing in and filling their coffers but remember...your greed will save GAME. Who has the last laugh?

This is like a test from Saw. You hate GAME but love a bargain. Every game you buy...GAME come one step closer to surviving!

PaulLFC

Any indication of prices for tomorrow's sale? Any Vita games?
360 games were already discounted in my local store, quite a few for £1.98 or 98p, but nothing that cheap from the last couple of years. Most fairly new titles were £7.99 and over, games from the last 6 months or so seemed to be around £10-£20. ACR and I think BF3 were £20.

dc89

How much are GAME and Gamestation selling Xenoblade for instore? I've checked all the GAME stores near me and none of them have a copy. I want cheap. ;_;

January sales I picked it up for £20 in Game. My last purchase from them if I remember.

You all laugh now but mega buxx are not a laughing matter!

I promised you a megaton yesterday and it came. All you little GAME haters are frothing at the mouth at dashing in and filling their coffers but remember...your greed will save GAME. Who has the last laugh?

This is like a test from Saw. You hate GAME but love a bargain. Every game you buy...GAME come one step closer to surviving!

tumblr_lhvhz9AGgx1qhe78wo1_500.gif

BRERA WANTS TO PLAY A GAME...

Brera

Banned
Remember, GAME pays fuck all for trade in prices.

I would be surprised if the newer games would be selling at a loss.

99p for FIFA 10? I'm pretty sure my gf tried trading it in last year and they offered her a pound, I took it back off the pile on principle! She loves FIFA so don't blame me!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno if it's the same as gamestation (if you got it from game) but if you choose the 'download' option it was instant (as in on the screen after the order). If it's a card it might be sent to you via post. I dunno though.

I checked the 'My Orders' page and it says it hasn't been shipped yet. I don't think it asked me to download it but the product page says its a download. Maybe they're just a bit slow. Hopefully.

GAME and Gamestation had retail boxes with 'buy for PSN' on them today. Shame you can't buy a memory card higher than 8GB in those shops anymore.

I'm now fully convinced that Brera has never bought a single share of GAME and that it's all an elaborate troll.

Yeah, he dropped the ball, and made it way too obvious in his last few posts. I preferred it when he was actually believable, but he got carried away.

Fur_Q

I'm now fully convinced that Brera has never bought a single share of GAME and that it's all an elaborate troll.

Come on you believed that shit. I laughed like a fucking kid when I read his posts, it was the gift that kept giving.

Omikaru

I came to this conclusion a couple of days ago. He was believable at first, but then he just kept getting more and more ridiculous, and the faux-denial/meltdowns eventually jumped the shark.

Still, good show. I got a good few laughs out of it.

Carbonox

So these fire sales are definitely happening in every Gamestation/GAME store? So if I were to walk in to them tomorrow, there'd be mass panic and awesome prices to be take advantage of?

Omikaru

So these fire sales are definitely happening in every Gamestation/GAME store? So if I were to walk in to them tomorrow, there'd be mass panic and awesome prices to be take advantage of?

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think GAME are advertising this fact. Best to just show up tomorrow and see what happens.

I sort of ignored the firesale till late tonight, missed some bargains, but got Cooking Guide and 100 Books for DS for free with my points. So that was a thing I guess. Gonna pop into Cambridge Gamestation and GAME tomorrow too. I actually went into Gamestation last week and the staff were pretty chipper, brought a case and screen protector for my Vita there too : (

Sad to see it's already at this point, have been concerned for a while - but it seems Mass Effect 3's loss did a real number on GAME along with everything else that's been going on. Heard they were being iffy with 3DS games for ages, wonder if that and GAME passing up the Sonic Generations Collectors Edition was to do with these money issues?

PaulLFC

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think GAME are advertising this fact. Best to just show up tomorrow and see what happens.
They're not advertising it, but it looks like it is happening. All preowned 360 games were reduced in the Liverpool Game store, as were DS games. No PS3 or Wii or PSP games though, looked like they hadn't got round to reducing those yet.

M-PG71C

This has been one hell of a read the last couple hours. I just can't stop laughing at poor Brevera or whatever the fuck his name is.

I can only say this: If GameStop is seriously considering entering the toxic European retail game market, they are foolish. If they are going to enter via purchasing GAME, then they are plain stupid. I just can't see anybody wanting to purchase this failing franchise.

I guess we'll see in a week or so.

I checked out my local GAME store and every second hand game had an extra red sticker on it showing a new price, not that much was lower but there was the newer castlevania game for £7.99, fifa 11 for 49p, pgr games for £1.99, most other stuff was about £5 off normal second hand price.

Brera

Banned
Don't worry psycho, when those shares are worth £16'000 or maybe even £24'000, I'll post pix of my Porsche Caymen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom