• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brera

Banned
Lloyds and GAME, you are a crafty trader Brera

How is that good news? GameStop is the one retailer more universally loathed than GAME.

I admit that right now GMG is the weakest link which is funny cos in January it was the opposite. Lloyds is a good bet. I wish I had got in at 22p when I had the chance but dithered. It's hovering around 35p right now and cos it's a bank, it's too big to fail and can borrow itself money when shit hits the fan!

LordAlu

They will be advertising the sale - when a sale comes on they generally get the pricing up first, and then when everything is priced and done the displays go up. On Friday when the final sale stuff is priced you'll see window posters, wall bay and front of store displays, and by next week hanging banners all over the place. They just don't advertise it until everything is priced and ready :)

Linkified

Got a good deal on a the last Prof Layton game to use up gift cards points etc. However selling me a used copy of LBP2 as new, real fucking crappy just like Grainger games does sometimes. Well I go into tommorrow and kick up a fuss.

mikeysteena

Neo Member
Just been in gamestation seeing what they had on sale. Nearly every title reduced in some way. I didn't have that much cash on me (on my way to work) but did pick up the following

Guitar hero 2: £2.98
Guitar hero 3 £1.98
Guitar hero Metallica: £4.98
Resident evil 5: £4.98
Rock band: £2.98
Forza 3: £2.98
Child of eden: £2.98
Fallout 3: £1.98
Dungeon siege 3: £2.98

The place was empty with one staff member sticking everything up. He said that that branch was closing, although the Game store around the corner was staying open. I felt guilty as hell
Hope this gives you some idea of the deals to be had!

PaulLFC

Just been in gamestation seeing what they had on sale. Nearly every title reduced in some way. I didn't have that much cash on me (on my way to work) but did pick up the following

Guitar hero 3 £1.98

The place was empty with one staff member sticking everything up. He said that that branch was closing, although the Game store around the corner was staying open. I felt guilty as hell
Will pick up Child of Eden and Dungeon Siege 3 if I can find them in my local store!

Guitar hero 3 £1.98

I want Child of Eden for that price! Will be checking again on my lunch

I've vented on here about GAME, and although I hate the way the company operates, there are some decent people who actually work for them. It is those people I feel sorry for..

But for every good person working there.. theres also a ton of pushy, ignorant, smug, condescending.. I'll stop there.. employees that work there, thats including managers.

Facism

the GAME/Gamestations i went to had knocked down their prices, but majority of things we're re-stickered to £7.89. Only the old, vapid unsellable crap was £1.98.

They're still selling their new stock with the GAME tax(c) of £5 on whatever everybody else sells.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
update from my game store.

every single product is going on sale including new stock. game wants everything cleared.

a list of what i picked up. you may want to check your stores for some of these too.

all xbox360 games.

Kingdoms of amalur £22

battlefield 3 £12

batman arkham city £12.99

crysis 2 limited edition £5

bioshock 1 and 2 £2

alpha protocol £1.98

Timshift 99p

the first templar £1.98

Brera

Banned
jack-nicholson-nodding.gif

nofi

every single product is going on sale including new stock. game wants everything cleared.

a list of what i picked up. you may want to check your stores for some of these too.

all xbox360 games.

Kingdoms of amalur £22

battlefield 3 £12

bioshock 1 and 2 £2

alpha protocol £1.98

Timshift 99p

the first templar £1.98

where's this? region only, i don't need specifics. =)

PaulLFC

all xbox360 games.

Kingdoms of amalur £22

battlefield 3 £12

bioshock 1 and 2 £2

alpha protocol £1.98

Timshift 99p

the first templar £1.98
If I can find Amalur on PC for a similar price I'm buying it! Why everything cleared though, surely having no stock is a bad thing? I guess they're preparing for either a takeover or administration. I'd assumed they were just selling preowned to try and fund some stock of new titles but it seems not.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
have had email come down to clear all their stock and backlog and want to just sell new games (lol if they ever get any at this rate )

he said thats pretty much what the email said word for word.

PaulLFC

well the guy said to me they have had an email come to clear all their stock and backlog and want to just sell new games (lol if they ever get any at this rate )

It would be good for them to get some more stock of new games, but I'm surprised that they think selling what new games they do have for cheap is the way to do it! Preowned I can understand, but new too is a strange decision.

well the guy said to me they have had an email come to clear all their stock and backlog and want to just sell new games (lol if they ever get any at this rate )

What type of store are you in?

High Street
Shopping Centre
Concession (store within a store)

I guess they're preparing for either a takeover or administration. I'd assumed they were just selling preowned to try and fund some stock of new titles but it seems not.

I'd say administration is right around the corner now...

It sounds like everything that they can make any money on now is going to be sold to go towards debts.

So pretty much any stock they have sitting around is going to be sold to try to salvage some of the loss..

Hmm. It made sense to me for a Concession store to go down that route though I can imagine most of those stores will be closed down more than likely.

Can imagine at least 2 of the 4 GAMES/Gamestations in Newcastle will be closing down - 3 of which are within the same Shopping Centre...

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. It made sense to me for a Concession store to go down that route though I can imagine most of those stores will be closed down more than likely.

Can imagine at least 2 of the 4 GAMES/Gamestations in Newcastle will be closing down - 3 of which are within the same Shopping Centre...

this is the only game or gamestation store for about 10 miles.

Zomba13

I'm gonna pop down into town and check the Game and Gamestation there for good deals. Don't really have anything in mind to get but hoping to find a nice surprise.

Yeah I'd say only 2 GAME stores out of the 6 here in Belfast will be left... (we don't have any gamestations)

Kinda tempted to go in after work (Manchester Arndale store) but I know ultimately the stuff they do have is mostly crap so it'll be fruitless

You never know though....

although in saying that.. I went into 3 GAME stores locally to me "before all this" and they all had the same crap on the shelves... fifa 10. tiger woods 09 etc..

I hope you, and anyone else currently working within GAME, land on your feet after this.

+1... (within reason.. as explained in my earlier post(s))

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's just typical I work and live in the one bit of London without a GAME or GameStation nearby. Guess I'll try to get to Victoria tomorrow to see if anything is left that is worth it. The games for Wii and DS that I'm interested in are probably not even in stock.

xxczx

I get paid tomorrow so I'm going to check my three local GAME stores for some deals!
Kinda tempted to go in after work (Manchester Arndale store) but I know ultimately the stuff they do have is mostly crap so it'll be fruitless
yeah, both the stores are literally crap plus the Gamestation there is so small it's funny.

bitoriginal

Went into town and nabbed myself some bargains. I got a couple of games for the DS;

Flower, Sun and Rain on the DS for 99p
Inazuma 11 was £10 which is the cheapest I've seen it.

For the 360 I got;

Lost Odyssey - £1.98
Devil May Cry 4 - £1.98
Bayonetta - £2.98
Halo 3 - - £1.98
Gears of War 2 - £1.98
Guitar Hero 2 - £1.98
Guitar Hero 3 - £1.98
Two Worlds - £4.98
GTA IV Complete Edition - £7.98

Mostly stuff I once owned and traded in. Get there sooner rather than later if you want the good shit!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I hope you, and anyone else currently working within GAME, land on your feet after this.

got another job lined up starting next month.

from how things are sounding this is game's last fight to survive.

but i dont think it will work some guy came in yesterday and brought £800 worth of games and only had to pay £100.

so essentially thats a heavy loss this company took just to make what £100.

Are they still accepting credit to pay for things? I have a fivers worth of points, might be able to pick up a couple of games after uni with that.

mikeysteena

Neo Member
The guy I spoke to in gamestation said he had two weeks to work, then the shop will be closed I suppose. He commented on the way head office kept the staff up to date on what's going on and seemed bitter about it. On the other hand tho he said he had a pile of clearance xbox 360 games through the back that he was buying before he left. "a pile up to his waist" was his exact words, so least he'll have something to do.

I can't see how Games new strategy is to only sell new titles when nobody is willing to supply to them

123rl

The guy I spoke to in gamestation said he had two weeks to work, then the shop will be closed I suppose. He commented on the way head office kept the staff up to date on what's going on and seemed bitter about it. On the other hand tho he said he had a pile of clearance xbox 360 games through the back that he was buying before he left. "a pile up to his waist" was his exact words, so least he'll have something to do.

I can't see how Games new strategy is to only sell new titles when nobody is willing to supply to them

That sounds wrong or illegal. If the store's closing then he's being made redundant and that takes more than two weeks. They will probably relocate him to another store

That sounds wrong or illegal. If the store's closing then he's being made redundant and that takes more than two weeks. They will probably relocate him to another store

As long as they are providing full pay for a 4 week notice period he doesnt have to work those 4 weeks.

Depends how long he worked there, was the reudundancy voluntary, is it collective redundancy etc etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom