• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went into town and nabbed myself some bargains. I got a couple of games for the DS;

Flower, Sun and Rain on the DS for 99p
Inazuma 11 was £10 which is the cheapest I've seen it.

For the 360 I got;

Lost Odyssey - £1.98
Devil May Cry 4 - £1.98
Bayonetta - £2.98
Halo 3 - - £1.98
Gears of War 2 - £1.98
Guitar Hero 2 - £1.98
Guitar Hero 3 - £1.98
Two Worlds - £4.98
GTA IV Complete Edition - £7.98

Mostly stuff I once owned and traded in. Get there sooner rather than later if you want the good shit!

Just to confirm, these are pre-owned?

Brera

Banned
The guy I spoke to in gamestation said he had two weeks to work, then the shop will be closed I suppose. He commented on the way head office kept the staff up to date on what's going on and seemed bitter about it. On the other hand tho he said he had a pile of clearance xbox 360 games through the back that he was buying before he left. "a pile up to his waist" was his exact words, so least he'll have something to do.

I can't see how Games new strategy is to only sell new titles when nobody is willing to supply to them

Sounds like the big guys and GAME had a negotiation and GAME lost.

Looks like pre owned for GAME is going out the window as part of terms to get games from EA, Nintendo et al at favourable terms.

Just to confirm, these are pre-owned?

From what I've seen in my local store, those are the pre-owned prices in store.

I went into Game and Gamestation in Glasgow and Gamestation don't seem to be having a sale yet, none of the prices have changed.

I did manage to snag the following from Game though:

MadWorld Wii - 98p
Advanced Wars: Dark Conflict DS - 98p
Redsteel 2 Wii - £1.98
Days of Disaster Wii - £1.98

Also, the girl who served me was super excited about her Mass Effect 3 limited edition copy which she'd ordered from Amazon.

Dragnet

Just got back from my GAME, all the staff seemed really upbeat actually. The girl who served must of known about their problems, she was talking to a customer about Skylanders Giants, saying she's going to pre-order so they get stock, then said if they get stock at all..

Picked up Bionic Commando and Heavenly Sword though, £3 for both! The PS3 pre-owned selection was pretty dire compared to the 360, shame really, was hoping for more deals! Popped into GameStation too, but nothing is marked down in there, although I only looked at PS3 stuff. Found it weird that GAME and GameStation both had a lot of staff working, 5 in GAME (it's a small store) and 5 in GameStation, normally there's 3 from what I've noticed in the past. Wish I had more GAME stores around to visit!

Love how GAME advertise the sale as a 'Spring Clean' too. You're not fooling me!

Looks like pre owned for GAME is going out the window as part of terms to get games from EA, Nintendo et al at favourable terms.

A GAME focused on new games would probably a much better shop, yeah they need trade ins to survive and pre owned can be good for finding old gems but perhaps if they relegated pre owned to a smaller section of the shop and maybe put some kind of a no trade in window ( say games must be over a month old)

Gazzawa

Had a look in GAME IRL today. Terrible preowned selection. Prices are still cheaper online. Almost picked up Brutal Legend for €3 but changed my mind.
RIP GAME and f*** you.

Hang on - are you still seeing this as GAME staying in business? Not that this is the last gurgle round the plughole?

It would sound that way to me too if they're clearing pre-owned. They've been strong-armed into submission while vulnerable. It might be good if the new terms mean reasonable prices that I can't beat online or something in some cases. That said, they could just be dying *shrug*

Walshicus

Just bought Sam and Max on Wii for my mother-in-law-to-be for the princely sum of £2.50.

Staff look pretty down in both Crawley GAMEs.

Bumhead

Banned
The sale in my nearest store was garbage. I found one game which was £1.98 and that was End War on 360.

Some games listed in this thread/other places online were nowhere near as cheap. Child of Eden was still £7.99, for example, With Killzone 2 being £2.99 which is pricier than suggested online.

Brera

Banned
So half the options on the GAME website are gone, and they've started selling preowned DSis for £50.

1158655197698fs0.gif

Zomba13

Just returned.

Got a £10 PSN card using my points (only able to use £2.50 though. Had just under £5)

Got Madworld (wii) 48p
Child of Eden (PS3) £2.98
Dark Void (PS3) 98p

Was tempted to get punchout on wii for a bit under £5 but decided against it.

OMG Aero

I went into town to have a look at the sales today and it was really weird how the different stores did them.
Where I am there are two Game stores and one Gamestation, one of the Game stores didn't have anything on sale at all, the other had sales on every platform but hardly anything for 360 and the Gamestation had PS3 and 360 games on sale but no sales for DS or Wii games.
Ended up getting Vanquish for £2.98 and Advance Wars Dark Conflict for 98p, I was thinking about Bulletstorm and Shadows of the Damned for £2.98 each too but realistically I would probably never complete them.

Slair

The sale in my nearest store was garbage. I found one game which was £1.98 and that was End War on 360.

Some games listed in this thread/other places online were nowhere near as cheap. Child of Eden was still £7.99, for example, With Killzone 2 being £2.99 which is pricier than suggested online.

Yeah same here, shelves are pretty stacked with pre-owned stuff but nothing cheap, game has the odd cheap game, but gamestation directly across from game is selling it's pre-owned stuff for nowhere near cheap.

The Sheffield one? Looked this morning and there wasn't much stuff on sale. GameStation didn't seem to have anything on sale.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I have a feeling if he keeps spamming that same gif then the mods will do it.

Well, he clearly thinks that he's onto a winner, but frankly, I think the writing is on the wall for GAME. We'll see though, perhaps rescue is around the corner, you never know.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Are they still accepting credit to pay for things? I have a fivers worth of points, might be able to pick up a couple of games after uni with that.

They better. It's the only reason I'm popping in. £7ish in my budget and that's all they are getting from me.

Well, he clearly thinks that he's onto a winner, but frankly, I think the writing is on the wall for GAME. We'll see though, perhaps rescue is around the corner, you never know.

Rescue for the business as a whole is impossible, the only possible solution is bankruptcy and somebody buying a portion of the shops probably 1 in each town, i just hope its not gamestop

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
We are not stopping preowned games. We are clearing everything including new games.

Its a nice thought, but pre-owned is what kept a company the size of GAME afloat.
You can't just yank the pillar a company is built on away in the space of a few mad "SALE!" days.
I see this as just the suits getting enough money to deploy their golden parachutes. As me and some other have said here, if you've been through a bankrupcy of a company you've likely seen all this behavior before.

That was my feeling as well. The board want to ensure that the business has enough cash to ensure they get their fat payouts and pension funds secured before the company goes under.

A year from now when the auditors have sifted through the damage we will be talking about how those hateful directors all paid themselves massive cash bonuses on 2/4/12 and declared the company bankrupt on 3/4/12.

PaulLFC

Just bought:
Vanquish (PS3) - £2.98
Child of Eden (360) - £2.98
Star Ocean 4 (360) - £2.98
Dungeon Siege III (360) - £2.98
Killzone 2 (PS3) - £0.48

The Game and Gamestation stores in Liverpool haven't started discounting new games yet - Amalur was still £42.99 (lol)

Oxx

Game was busier than I had seen before, but I didn't see anything particularly inspiring. Madworld for 48p made me smile, though.

They were filling the DS section while I was there so I might have another look later.

That was my feeling as well. The board want to ensure that the business has enough cash to ensure they get their fat payouts and pension funds secured before the company goes under.

A year from now when the auditors have sifted through the damage we will be talking about how those hateful directors all paid themselves massive cash bonuses on 2/4/12 and declared the company bankrupt on 3/4/12.

I thought there were laws against doing that now?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
update from my game store.

every single product is going on sale including new stock. game wants everything cleared.

a list of what i picked up. you may want to check your stores for some of these too.

all xbox360 games.

Kingdoms of amalur £22

battlefield 3 £12

batman arkham city £12.99

crysis 2 limited edition £5

bioshock 1 and 2 £2

alpha protocol £1.98

Timshift 99p

the first templar £1.98

Son of a bitch. I just left my local and Batman was still going for £29.98.

LordAlu

Is it safe to say if your particular GAME are having firesales then they're shutting down that particular branch?
Nope. All GAME/Gamestation stores are doing the same sales. It just seems to me like a lot of them are taking their time actually getting them out.

For people who have been in today, don't forget that PS3, Wii and Mint software/accessories started this morning and will take the staff time to price up as they have to get every box from the shelves, scan them, reprice them and put them back on display. If you go in there and littel appears to be on sale, take stuff to the counter and ask, as they likely haven't gotten around to pricing it yet.

Pre-owned hardware sale starts tomorrow. Mint hardware is unaffected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom