• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone been to the Camden GAME or Gamestation? Haven't bothered to go to Oxford Street as I assume it would instantly be picked by, but I could be persuaded to swing by Camden if there are some good deals on points going...

Gamestation in Camden was shuttered a while ago. Didn't see anything too good in GAME. This was last Thursday mind, and I wasn't looking to pick up anything I wouldn't genuinely play. Didn't check out the points.

Suairyu

Banned
Local Gamestation seems not to have heard of their situation given the prices. Two GAME stores to check now.

Edit - lol nope. Just Spring Clean dregs.

Suairyu

Banned
So has your day been a failure so far?
Complete failure. Even my bowl of wheetos went soggy quicker than they should have. Oh well, have a girl coming around for gaming and anime later. Clearly I can pull this day back and resume living the dream.

This is what happens when you don't have a voddy & orange for breakfast.
Too right. When I have that manly breakfast the world just conforms to what I want it to be. Had I bought some GAME shares under the influence, Brera would have tripled his money.

PaulLFC

They're not stocking Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.

Eurogamer said:
GAME Group (GAME/Gamestation) won't stock PS3 and Xbox 360 game Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.

Eurogamer confirmed this with a GAME store this morning, following an MCV report.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, a co-op shooter made by Slant Six, will be released Friday, 23rd March.

Any of you with a GAME or Gamestation pre-order for Raccoon City will need to go in-store for a refund, we were told.

PS3 and Xbox 360 versions arrive first. A PC version will follow.

Capcom was unavailable for comment.

Capcom had previously said GAME's predicament wouldn't affect sales of Raccoon City.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-13-game-wont-stock-resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city

dc89

Like I said, if they're still here come payday I'll go and pick up a used PSP and some cheap ass UMD games. The white one is lovely.

The downward spiral continues...

vultures.jpg
game.png

winstano

Wall, this is writing. I believe he wants to be on you.

What's that? He already is? Fair enough.

Seriously though, what else is due out in the coming weeks? ANYTHING of worth?!

mclem

Ah, I used to live in Lincolnshire, sadly the Boston Gamestation had naff all in the way of retro stock even though I sold many, many systems and games to them after moving house. Curious to see if Panzer Dragoon Saga has dropped from the £110 it used to cost at Gamestation.

When I started earning serious money I just couldn't resist the one in the Oxford Gamestation. That was £80 at the time.

Omikaru

Jesus Christ, they're just swirling in the bowl now.

All my best wishes to GAME and Gamestation staff right now. I hope you're all looking for work, and that you successfully find some before they go under. Being on the dole sucks...

Murkas

I hope all the GAME/station workers get back on their feet as quick as possible, being unemployed sucks.

Can't say I'm sad to see the stores themselves go.

This is what happens when you don't have a voddy & orange for breakfast.

How are you still alive...

Rich!

I still remember the first time I went into Gamestation. I brought Wario Land 2, Secret of Mana and a USA copy of Starfox that I wasn't even able to play until I modded my SNES last year

good times

Roxas

ooh this is just painful now. Just take them out back and put a bullet in their head to end it.

They are clinging on like that last nugget of shit that you cant quite shake off.

Whelp that's probably that then. I hope the staff find somewhere quick, I'd also like someone to pick up some of the store and make something decent from them, however unlikely that is.

/Nostalgia
I remember picking up my launch PS2 at midnight from Game in the Pallasades Birmingham (when you had to reserve with Sony for it). My and my brother went home and marvelled at the DVD quality :D

Rich!

yakuza dead souls aka GOTY 2012 part 2

hardly a big seller in the UK though. ORC has had considerable hype behind it - the amount of pre-orders I had in my old store was pretty damn high. luckily, they're still gonna get their copies unlike two of my mates who have reserved with GAME

Murkas

Whelp that's probably that then. I hope the staff find somewhere quick, I'd also like someone to pick up some of the store and make something decent from them, however unlikely that is.

/Nostalgia
I remember picking up my launch PS2 at midnight from Game in the Pallasades Birmingham (when you had to reserve with Sony for it). My and my brother went home and marvelled at the DVD quality :D

Nothing compares to when New St Gamestation first opened. It had everything!

Floex

GAME won't stock Ninja Gaiden 3 or Warriors Orochi 3

Embattled UK shop chain GAME/Gamestation won't stock Ninja Gaiden 3 or Warriors Orochi 3, Tecmo Koei has announced.

"Tecmo Koei Europe regrets to announce that upcoming releases Ninja Gaiden 3 and Warriors Orochi 3 for [PS3 and Xbox 360] will not be available through GAME and Gamestation retail outlets or online in the UK and Ireland," the publisher stated.

"Customers who have already pre-ordered Ninja Gaiden 3 and Warriors Orochi 3 are kindly asked to re-order their copies from another retailer."

Ninja Gaiden will be available on the high street at Asda, Blockbuster, HMV and independent shops. Online, the game's available from Amazon, Play, ShopTo, Zavvi, The Hut and "others".
Warriors Orochi will not be stocked by Asda - otherwise the shopping destinations are the same as above.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-13-game-wont-stock-ninja-gaiden-3-or-warriors-orochi-3

To be honest I didn't even know there was an Orochi 2. Ninja Gaiden is a bit of a blow to them

From Davidfb on the Guardian Business Website

Their solution, was to 'reinvent' 2nd hand goods. But priced in a lot of cases more than new games. This has both annoyed the very same suppliers they're now needing to 'have productive conversations with' and also meant they've turned all those staggeringly expensive shops into little more than 2nd hand shops. To manage to turn this around so fast is in some respects impressive.
What's seemingly wierd is that Game killed off all competition (lastly buying gamestation) so there is nobody to take over the shops, apart from companies from other countries.( who seemingly have issues because they don't want all the various shops, they just want bits)
BUt why buy the Game shops now ? They have little stock apart from the self same 2nd hand and one assumes they just have a massive amount of rental liabilities..

Digital hasn't killed Game, Game has killed Game.

/Nostalgia

Nothing compares to when New St Gamestation first opened. It had everything!

Salutations other members of Birmingham Gaf :D

I alos have the same memories.

On Topic: GAME should never have gotten greedy and swallowed up Gamestation; who ever make that decision deserves a huge slap in the face.

Maybe those stores could also sell music and DVDs. That's quite a lot of things, more than a store. Maybe a MEGA store. Megastore. Has a ring.

I think it'd be successful.

Oxx

I remember walking into a GAME store maybe a couple of years ago and seeing a shelf of chart CDs. That was when I knew that they had no idea what they were doing and who they were serving.

to be fair, orochi will sell 4 copies in uk, ng3 probably struggle to make top10, and ORC looks awful

Considering that anyone who wants a non-digital PS3 disc copy will have to import Warriors Orochi 3 from the UK I'm pretty sure it'll sell better than it would normally.

Maybe those stores could also sell music and DVDs. That's quite a lot of things, more than a store. Maybe a MEGA store. Megastore. Has a ring.

I think it'd be successful.

Haha, seriously though, I think Branson is the one person who could make a games retail chain work.

Would be interesting to see what the fallout is, it also means that a lot of staff will be saved and transferred to the new company.

123rl

I'd love to see Virgin Games return to the High Street. They need to re-open their store at the Trafford Centre. I loved that shop

Vormund

Who knows. I mean Blockbuster outside of America isn't affected by the chatper 11 bankruptcy there. Woolworths is still thriving in Australia too. Might be worth spending points if there is anything you want though...

Yeah forgot about Blockbuster, although it seems to be only doing 'ok' here. Woolies here is a completely separate business to the now defunct uk one.

Either way, I have a day off tomorrow so I'll head down to my nearest store.

Yeah forgot about Blockbuster, although it seems to be only doing 'ok' here. Woolies here is a completely separate business to the now defunct uk one.

Either way, I have a day off tomorrow so I'll head down to my nearest store.

I thought the Blocksbuster games dept was Gamestation though?

Haha, seriously though, I think Branson is the one person who could make a games retail chain work.

Would be interesting to see what the fallout is, it also means that a lot of staff will be saved and transferred to the new company.

What's Branson's retail side of things like these days? I mean, the problem with GAME seems to be too much centralised control - and when they have that - poor centralised control. They flogged off to Zavvi, but I don't follow them closely enough to know if they could actually do a good job of retail. I suppose Zaavi's problems were mainly due to the great fall of Woolworths.

I'd have thought that Virgin would want more digital games stuff, to tie in with Virgin Media maybe? Though getting a high street store could help brand awareness... could succeed in a digital/physical brand where GAME have failed.

I know nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom