• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, what the fuck

anyway, even if he did mean Arkham City, Blockbuster are selling that for £13.

Well that's annoying to hear D:

Although the store really didn't have anything else that I fancied around that price point, and I wasn't leaving the store without spending my vouchers as this situation seems to be getting worse and worse.

I'm not arguing with you i the TM is a gigantic flop and Game Group could request Sony to remove all TM from the stores, where they could place preowned products and get the shelf space back. But talking about returns on what Game Group are getting I've heard 3 separate figures for hardware, software and accessories.

They can't deny any Sony products because Sony would then pull all of their hardware (including Vita) and stop selling them other software pushing them further into used software reliance for stock.

Whats with the massive discrepencies in pricing across stores nationwide? Just looking at the prices dotted in this thread...I havn't seen anything as juicy as Ico/SotC for under a tenner!? Is pricing organised on a store by store basis?

checkeredknight said:
I'm sure if you ask nicely in any store "Do you have any old retro stock lying around" they will look for you. We want sales. There's no use having this stuff lying around in a stock room, it wont sell itself.
Thanks man, I might just do that. I remember walking into Gamestation before their aquisition by GAME and spending literally hours musing through all the junk available. I miss the days of the non "pre-packaged" GS.

Bumhead

Banned
Whats with the massive discrepencies in pricing across stores nationwide? Just looking at the prices dotted in this thread...I havn't seen anything as juicy as Ico/SotC for under a tenner!? Is pricing organised on a store by store basis?

Yeah this has been annoying me too. Team Ico Collection is still £20 in both Game and Gamestation for me.

I picked up a steelbook second hand copy of Arkham City too. I take it I'll have to pay to download the Catwoman sections?

Audioboxer

Are cover scans of games "illegal"? I picked up Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma for the PS3, but it has no cover. Very difficult to find a good quality scan online.

If it's okay, does anyone on GAF have the game and their own scanner?

PaulLFC

obviously he meant the sequel.

i went to my local gamestation and get very lucky.

nearly all the discs are in very good condition. overall i'm very pleased with what i found.

i also saw they had a psp for 30.00 so i'm thinking about be going back tomorrow to buy a psp and some games.
Wow, what store was this? In my local Ico/SOTC was £20, God of War 3 and 3D Dot Game Heroes were £10 and Burnout Revenge was £8 :(

SLV

Audίoboxer;35955309 said:
Are cover scans of games "illegal"? I picked up Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma for the PS3, but it has no cover. Very difficult to find a good quality scan online.

If it's okay, does anyone on GAF have the game and their own scanner?

LOL, why would it be illegal ? Go to cdcovers.cc

Here you go !

Nice quality etc.

Misfits

Neo Member
Wow, what store was this? In my local Ico/SOTC was £20, God of War 3 and 3D Dot Game Heroes were £10 and Burnout Revenge was £8 :(

ilford.

i forgot to mention that a few of the games didn't have covers or manuals. ico didn't have a cover, so i think thats why it was cheap, burnout revenge is scratched and doesn't have either cover/manual but it works and installed just fine.

I miss the days of the non "pre-packaged" GS.

You and me both. I used to love going through the retro stock. I was so pissed off when I read online that they "burnt" it all. Not entirely sure how true that was, since there was still quite a bit lying around in our shop before I turned up and bought it all. XD

If you're anywhere near Lincoln, there's a retro store there named Gotham Games. They have a tonne of old games and consoles. Thinking of going and checking it out for myself at some point, sounds good.

PaulLFC

Thanks man, I might just do that. I remember walking into Gamestation before their aquisition by GAME and spending literally hours musing through all the junk available. I miss the days of the non "pre-packaged" GS.
Yeah, I remember how good Gamestation used to be. They used to have entire shelves full of retro stuff, cabinets as well with old handhelds and handheld games. I used to spend ages in there looking through everything, even for consoles I didn't own. It was an interesting and different place to browse, now it's just Game with a few extra letters in its name.

Seanbob11

Has anyone been to the Ocean Terminal Game or any other Edinburgh stores? I wanna check it out but not if it's for worthless stuff.

bb2f5ec7.jpg
Yup, stores got severely overstocked of this a few weeks after the game came out and it was only dropped by a tenner at Christmas so stores should have plenty left. We sold about 6 copies today and have 2 left, I was going to buy a copy but decided I should be saving my cash.

I work at the Grimsby (Lincs) GameStation. This is the last of the retro stock. Though, we still have some old PS1 titles and a Sonic R on the shelves atm (but nothing of note really.) I'm sure if you ask nicely in any store "Do you have any old retro stock lying around" they will look for you. We want sales. There's no use having this stuff lying around in a stock room, it wont sell itself.
Ah, I used to live in Lincolnshire, sadly the Boston Gamestation had naff all in the way of retro stock even though I sold many, many systems and games to them after moving house. Curious to see if Panzer Dragoon Saga has dropped from the £110 it used to cost at Gamestation.

Linkified

They can't deny any Sony products because Sony would then pull all of their hardware (including Vita) and stop selling them other software pushing them further into used software reliance for stock.

They can though then Game Group would have to buy Sony stock from CentreSoft, obviously paying a heftier fee in short term. But there is always options.

PaulLFC

They can though then Game Group would have to buy Sony stock from CentreSoft, obviously paying a heftier fee in short term. But there is always options.
Could they not have done the same with other games like ME3? If they could, that just says to me they don't have any money to buy stock with, so if Sony did end up recalling their titles, they'd have no cash to buy them elsewhere with.

Excellent post in the comments on one of the Eurogamer articles which basically confirms most of the reasons people think this is happening, by 'StolenGlory':

This whole debacle really stands out as one of the worst examples of corporate hubris I think I have ever seen or been a part of. They simply put far too much faith in the boom bubbles that the business was caught in at the time; whether it was the ‘Playstation Era (Circa 1995-2006)’ or the Wii/DS explosion.

A lot of folks have hit it right on the head when they said they weren’t forward thinking enough and it’s true – they weren’t. At all. On a very general level, they had little or no grasp of emergent market trends and utterly failed to find any sort of balance instore in regards to marketing their pre-orders (which took up far too much of the space they were meant to be selling actual product in), preowned (took far too much new-release space and wasn’t priced sensibly) and finally, back-catalogue (which suffered because of the first two and almost utterly killed of the PC side of things completely).

On a store management level, they started fucking things up a LONG time ago ever since they enforced far too much conformity amongst store management practices. They effectively took Manager’s sales skills away from them (y’know, one of the KEY FUCKING CRITERIA that got them the position in the first place) by making them follow the exact same layout and template format that the other 400 stores did. If you didn’t have any political favours to call in (read: backs to stab), you couldn’t get away with trying to manage the store anywhere near to halfway as uniquely as you would like to.

I actually recall when I first started back in 2000 (yes, I am an old and withered husk), that store managers were actually granted a significant amount of autonomy as to how they managed their store – they had freedom to arrange displays how they saw fit, POS, staff rotas etc… so long as their figures backed up their management styles which more often than not they did. Don’t get me wrong, they weren’t given absolute free reign over their store for obvious reasons and had to adhere to some fundamental procedural things, but by and large it made every store unique and genuinely gave customers almost completely different shopping experiences.

Of course the upshot of everyone following identikit plans and creating identikit stores, was that it took that much longer to root out the idle, useless managers from the genuinely hardworking ones who had their creativity and innovations suffocated. So as you might reasonably infer, what started as snowflakes of incompetence soon turned into a great big motherfucking rolling snowball of ineptitude that slowly dragged each region down with only a few holdouts still managing to look decent.

Then on-top of this forced unilateral conformity came the mismanagement that pretty much sealed the deal for staff and customers alike. The suits at head office went far too big on incentivising and which resulted in hard and often desperate ‘re-training’ of staff to achieve what were hugely inflated and sometimes just downright unachievable targets. As we all know, this made the staff miserable as sin because GAME never could properly analyse the individual strengths of store staff (some were better at fast throughput at the till, while some were better at succinct and effective up-selling on the shopfloor) and so naturally everyone struggled and little by little (despite how nice these staff may have been previously) the misery and disinterest gets passed onto the staff (often compounded by hour cutbacks which meant you couldn’t properly staff the shop floor anyway) and so you have a classic shit cascade where everybody was miserable and you only turned up to work because your friends were there and you enjoyed games, but no longer enjoyed selling them.

In a classic case of life imitating art, it was like living in some twisted GAME version of Clerks – it really was. We all got hooked in because we had such a deep-seated and innocent love for games (we wanted everyone else to know about our favourite hobby; that’s why we were such good sales people for the most part because we just wouldn’t shut the fuck up) that it seemed like the dream job. For just about all of us, at least in the early days, it started out that way and then gradually, through conformity to common-sense barren practices, an over-zealousness to incentivize extra-curricular bullshit and just reams and reams of suffocating bureaucracy our love for the job (and some us our hobby) eroded and we just stopped giving a shit quite frankly.

From the suits getting paid their 6-7 figure salaries (and then jumping off the ship when it all went to shit due to their chronically abysmal mismanagement *cough* LM *cough*) all the way through to every single bad and pointless thing that fucked up a job that originally was pretty enjoyable, the only thing that remained as I said were your friends and at that point you just knew, you KNEW, however far in the back of your mind that something would start to give. I’m just surprised it’s taken this long and like I have said before; I feel genuinely sorry and impassioned toward each and every friend that I made at GAME who was shit on by the senior management and who will also lose their jobs as the end result of their accumulative incompetence.

It’s cliché’ but it holds true; many of those guys in my experience were too good for that place and I hope they’ve all found (or will find) opportunities beyond the purgatory that GAME has turned into for them.

The quick-buck suits on the other hand, who didn’t give two shits about the product or the people who initally worked with such a bright enthusiasm (likely to never be seen again at bricks ‘n’ mortar retail), I hope all of those detestable fuckmuppets drown in the afterbirth of their collective incompetence and immorality.

winstano

You and me both. I used to love going through the retro stock. I was so pissed off when I read online that they "burnt" it all. Not entirely sure how true that was, since there was still quite a bit lying around in our shop before I turned up and bought it all. XD

If you're anywhere near Lincoln, there's a retro store there named Gotham Games. They have a tonne of old games and consoles. Thinking of going and checking it out for myself at some point, sounds good.

Holy cow, you're from Lincoln?! Represent!

Could they not have done the same with other games like ME3? If they could, that just says to me they don't have any money to buy stock with, so if Sony did end up recalling their titles, they'd have no cash to buy them elsewhere with.

Excellent post in the comments on one of the Eurogamer articles which basically confirms most of the reasons people think this is happening, by 'StolenGlory':

This whole debacle really stands out as one of the worst examples of corporate hubris I think I have ever seen or been a part of. They simply put far too much faith in the boom bubbles that the business was caught in at the time; whether it was the ‘Playstation Era (Circa 1995-2006)’ or the Wii/DS explosion.

A lot of folks have hit it right on the head when they said they weren’t forward thinking enough and it’s true – they weren’t. At all. On a very general level, they had little or no grasp of emergent market trends and utterly failed to find any sort of balance instore in regards to marketing their pre-orders (which took up far too much of the space they were meant to be selling actual product in), preowned (took far too much new-release space and wasn’t priced sensibly) and finally, back-catalogue (which suffered because of the first two and almost utterly killed of the PC side of things completely).

On a store management level, they started fucking things up a LONG time ago ever since they enforced far too much conformity amongst store management practices. They effectively took Manager’s sales skills away from them (y’know, one of the KEY FUCKING CRITERIA that got them the position in the first place) by making them follow the exact same layout and template format that the other 400 stores did. If you didn’t have any political favours to call in (read: backs to stab), you couldn’t get away with trying to manage the store anywhere near to halfway as uniquely as you would like to.

I actually recall when I first started back in 2000 (yes, I am an old and withered husk), that store managers were actually granted a significant amount of autonomy as to how they managed their store – they had freedom to arrange displays how they saw fit, POS, staff rotas etc… so long as their figures backed up their management styles which more often than not they did. Don’t get me wrong, they weren’t given absolute free reign over their store for obvious reasons and had to adhere to some fundamental procedural things, but by and large it made every store unique and genuinely gave customers almost completely different shopping experiences.

Of course the upshot of everyone following identikit plans and creating identikit stores, was that it took that much longer to root out the idle, useless managers from the genuinely hardworking ones who had their creativity and innovations suffocated. So as you might reasonably infer, what started as snowflakes of incompetence soon turned into a great big motherfucking rolling snowball of ineptitude that slowly dragged each region down with only a few holdouts still managing to look decent.

Then on-top of this forced unilateral conformity came the mismanagement that pretty much sealed the deal for staff and customers alike. The suits at head office went far too big on incentivising and which resulted in hard and often desperate ‘re-training’ of staff to achieve what were hugely inflated and sometimes just downright unachievable targets. As we all know, this made the staff miserable as sin because GAME never could properly analyse the individual strengths of store staff (some were better at fast throughput at the till, while some were better at succinct and effective up-selling on the shopfloor) and so naturally everyone struggled and little by little (despite how nice these staff may have been previously) the misery and disinterest gets passed onto the staff (often compounded by hour cutbacks which meant you couldn’t properly staff the shop floor anyway) and so you have a classic shit cascade where everybody was miserable and you only turned up to work because your friends were there and you enjoyed games, but no longer enjoyed selling them.

In a classic case of life imitating art, it was like living in some twisted GAME version of Clerks – it really was. We all got hooked in because we had such a deep-seated and innocent love for games (we wanted everyone else to know about our favourite hobby; that’s why we were such good sales people for the most part because we just wouldn’t shut the fuck up) that it seemed like the dream job. For just about all of us, at least in the early days, it started out that way and then gradually, through conformity to common-sense barren practices, an over-zealousness to incentivize extra-curricular bullshit and just reams and reams of suffocating bureaucracy our love for the job (and some us our hobby) eroded and we just stopped giving a shit quite frankly.

From the suits getting paid their 6-7 figure salaries (and then jumping off the ship when it all went to shit due to their chronically abysmal mismanagement *cough* LM *cough*) all the way through to every single bad and pointless thing that fucked up a job that originally was pretty enjoyable, the only thing that remained as I said were your friends and at that point you just knew, you KNEW, however far in the back of your mind that something would start to give. I’m just surprised it’s taken this long and like I have said before; I feel genuinely sorry and impassioned toward each and every friend that I made at GAME who was shit on by the senior management and who will also lose their jobs as the end result of their accumulative incompetence.

It’s cliché’ but it holds true; many of those guys in my experience were too good for that place and I hope they’ve all found (or will find) opportunities beyond the purgatory that GAME has turned into for them.

The quick-buck suits on the other hand, who didn’t give two shits about the product or the people who initally worked with such a bright enthusiasm (likely to never be seen again at bricks ‘n’ mortar retail), I hope all of those detestable fuckmuppets drown in the afterbirth of their collective incompetence and immorality.

I would just like to repost this for the new page (at least for 50ppp people out there) because of the truth bombs this guy is giving out.

It's so sad that the staff will get fucked over and the bastard executives will get their payoffs and fall on their feet with massive pension funds.

f0rk

So how low do you think they will sell Vitas for if they are going under? I went in today, there was nothing that interesting except some stuff £5 less than their normal ridiculous price. Vitas still £220, £20 more than amazon.

winstano

So how low do you think they will sell Vitas for if they are going under? I went in today, there was nothing that interesting except some stuff £5 less than their normal ridiculous price. Vitas still £220, £20 more than amazon.

It's been stated a few times already, they can't offer a discount on Vitas, as the stock is marked up as "Property of Sony", and as soon as they go under, they're on a truck back to Sony HQ

dc89

It's been stated a few times already, they can't offer a discount on Vitas, as the stock is marked up as "Property of Sony", and as soon as they go under, they're on a truck back to Sony HQ

Yup. This is true.

Maybe Sony will be cruel and tell the stores to just deliver the stock to your nearest retailer.

My de Blob 2 order is still not dispatched but at the same time not canceled. I wonder if this means they had a flurry of orders over the weekend or if the packers in head office have decided to pack up.

Haven't seen much about the Australian branch in this thread, but I assume that it will be pulled down with the rest of it.
Who knows. I mean Blockbuster outside of America isn't affected by the chatper 11 bankruptcy there. Woolworths is still thriving in Australia too. Might be worth spending points if there is anything you want though...

Their phone lines are screwed. Either that or they've took them down. Just tried ringing to get my reward card linked to my account online.
They've been shut for at least a month.

I still have a thousand shares for some reason...worth £11...FUCK!
Sorry man, but Simpsons quote time:
Homer: What should I do?
Guy: Well let me put it this way you get twenty five dollars if you sell now!
Homer: Sell sell sell!!! Woohooo! Twenty five dollars!

Marge: You spent fifty two hundred dollars on beer?
Homer: Fifty two hundred, what are you talking about? (sees the TV) Oh my god! I sold it all for twenty-five bucks!
Bart: (kicks him in the rear) Come on, everybody, it makes you feel better.

If anyone has any ideas what else I can do with it then be my guest.
The site. Did you put the ad there? Its quite ironic (I'm getting ""win £500 to spend at GAME").

Looks like Sony is still supporting them, at least.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ill-be-sold-by-game-this-friday-sony-confirms

Still selling TM on friday
With one hand they're doing this...apparently with the other hand they want the Vitas back.

Ah, I used to live in Lincolnshire, sadly the Boston Gamestation had naff all in the way of retro stock even though I sold many, many systems and games to them after moving house. Curious to see if Panzer Dragoon Saga has dropped from the £110 it used to cost at Gamestation.
I would think when they first got rid of retro stock anything in the cabinet (i.e. the honeytraps to make people think their moldy Sonic 2 and Fifa 96 were worth something) went straight to head office to go on eBay. I can see them setting fire to Fifa 96 but Panzer Dragoon Saga or Guardian Heroes is harder to believe...

Biggzy

Oh well I have to be in town tomorrow for other business. But I am making sure I will be going home with a ton of ms points and psn credit, courtesy of my trade-in credit and reward points.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm going into town soon. Gonna be like a fucking vulture and see if I can pick from the carcass while it's still twitching.

OrangeGoblin

Neo Member
Anyone been to the Camden GAME or Gamestation? Haven't bothered to go to Oxford Street as I assume it would instantly be picked by, but I could be persuaded to swing by Camden if there are some good deals on points going...

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm going into town soon. Gonna be like a fucking vulture and see if I can pick from the carcass while it's still twitching.

This is giving me flashbacks of going into Woolworths in early December 2008. That was a depressing time.

Suairyu

Banned
This is giving me flashbacks of going into Woolworths in early December 2008. That was a depressing time.
Firesale Woolworths+20% Woolworths group discount card = cha-ching!

I was working for Music Zone at the time, who were previously MVC and part of the Woolies group. Music Zone bought them out but my Woolies card stayed valid right up until the end.

Blackburn was the same as normal no real bargains

Then again I haven't seen many bargains in here mainly crap that has been around at silly prices forever

Suairyu

Banned
I'm expecting to have more luck with the local Gamestation than Game, to be honest. If my time with Gamestation is any indication, they'll have a ton of stock upstairs hanging around upstairs that they could never put out because it didn't follow the area manager's floor plan.

Rich!

Tempted to go to the local gamestation to see if they have any retro stock upstairs, or a game boy micro.

but I probably have more chance of winning the lottery.

Anyone been to the Camden GAME or Gamestation? Haven't bothered to go to Oxford Street as I assume it would instantly be picked by, but I could be persuaded to swing by Camden if there are some good deals on points going...
Gamestation closed down last year and Game didn't have too much of interest when I was there on Sunday. I did pick up the last two cod branded 1200 point cards for a fiver each though.

Adamm

I went to my local game yesterday hoping to find a bargain.
They only games they had cheap were old Fifa & NHL games. Nearly everything else was full price.

:(

Suairyu

Banned
Bus is nearly in town I am so excited for my inevitable disappointment right now.

Edit - disappointment begins now! The bus is caught in traffic! Half hour ride has already lasted an hour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom