• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far the games not available at GAME include: Mass Effect 3, Mario Party 9, Metal Gear Solid 3DS, Asura's Wrath, Street Fighter X Tekken, Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City, Inazuma 12, Yakuza Dead Souls, Ninja Gaiden 3, Kinect Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Pokepark 2 and Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai.

GAME has no game

winstano

Holy shit... MS and Acti out?! Microsoft holding out support until at least April is a bit of a deathknell for them.

Who is actually sending them stock right now then? Just Sony & Ubi?

Wait, what? I was speaking to a Microsoft rep the other day and he was all "You guys have MS's full support, here's some POS for Kinect Star Wars, brush up on your info for Kinect Rush etc." And now this? Wow...

When Wal-GAME rise from the ashes...they will pay.

So I have raided my sources in retailing. Any forthcoming bids for GMG are going to be made directly to the creditor, not the board. I have not been shown any evidence that Wal-Mart are planning a bid of 12p per share, they have, however, spoken to the banking syndicate and RBS separately about assuming the liabilities of GMG in return for full ownership. RBS do not believe that Game have enough assets of worth to recover their money.

From my sources I see three or four interested parties, but none of them want to buy Game as a whole and one doesn't want Game for the business they want a fast way to expand retail presence in a different area of retail. Again all four bidders have lodged their interest directly with the creditors.

I have also heard that the large publisher I talked about previously have pulled out now. Activision will no longer make any new shipments to Game. I am told this includes new shipments of CoD so when they run out of CoD, they run out and will need to rely on used version, though that part is not confirmed independently with the publisher. To make matters worse I have also heard that Microsoft are no longer sending any new hardware shipments, though again I haven't confirmed that with them independently as it's late.

Wait, what? I was speaking to a Microsoft rep the other day and he was all "You guys have MS's full support, here's some POS for Kinect Star Wars, brush up on your info for Kinect Rush etc." And now this? Wow...

Mass Effect's sales probably showed everyone else how irrelevant supporting Game really is for publishers. Nothing to gain, lots of money to lose if Game can't pay what they owe.

Brera

Banned
I don't disagree with your info! I made a mistake ignoring your advice!

I'm only looking to make a quick buck, there is still a week left for GMG. I intend to ride the wave and jump off at 4-5p to minimise my loses.

Game will be around but not in this form and hopefully not with their incompetent board.

Mass Effect's sales probably showed everyone else how irrelevant supporting Game really is for publishers. Nothing to gain, lots of money to lose if Game can't pay what they owe.

This is exactly what happened. Publishers are worried that if Game go bankrupt they will liquidate their stock and destroy the value of new games and possibly commoditise the market further.

Now that they have seen games sell without being released in Game (Mario Party 9 was the best selling one yet) publishers aren't worried.

mclem

Holy shit... MS and Acti out?! Microsoft holding out support until at least April is a bit of a deathknell for them.

Who is actually sending them stock right now then? Just Sony & Ubi?

Even then, Sony is only *loaning* them stock, under what appear to be some very carefully-crafted terms.

And from the website, still proudly displayed:

Cb58Q.png

Yeah, about that...

winstano

This is exactly what happened. Publishers are worried that if Game go bankrupt they will liquidate their stock and destroy the value of new games and possibly commoditise the market further.

Now that they have seen games sell without being released in Game (Mario Party 9 was the best selling one yet) publishers aren't worried.

Do you reckon that's why they've raised the pre-owned ridicu-prices over the past couple of days? I think they've shot themselves in both feet with this firesale, as interesting as it's been for us here to pick what's left from their shelves at silly prices.

Even then, Sony is only *loaning* them stock, under what appear to be some very carefully-crafted terms.

Well yeah, but at least they're allowing them that luxury. Right now it looks like Twisted Metal is going to have the dubious honour of being the final new title ever stocked in GMG's stores!

So, this is the list of GAME's "missing" games (recent, and upcoming)

1. Mass Effect 3
  2. Mario Party 9
  3. Metal Gear Solid 3DS
  4. Asura's Wrath
  5. Street Fighter X Tekken
  6. Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City
  7. Inazuma 12
  8. Yakuza Dead Souls
  9. Ninja Gaiden 3
  10. Cabela Big Game Hunter 2012
  11. Zhu Zhu Babies
  12. Kinect Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure
  13. Kid Icarus: Uprising
  14. Pokepark 2
  15. Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai
  16. Star Wars 360 (console)

winstano

1. Mass Effect 3
  2. Mario Party 9
  3. Metal Gear Solid 3DS
  4. Asura's Wrath
  7. Inazuma 12
  8. Yakuza Dead Souls
  9. Ninja Gaiden 3
  11. Zhu Zhu Babies
  14. Pokepark 2

17. The Last Story
18. Tekken 3DS

Yes, I rather thought this might tip a few over the edge - if there is little impact on sales of new releases, then there's no reason to stick with GAME when they're such a potential risk.

Carl

Yeah i overheard my local GameStation lot talking about "the nice xbox man" who "came and brought us some promo stuff and said nice things"

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

1. Mass Effect 3
  2. Mario Party 9
  3. Metal Gear Solid 3DS
  4. Asura's Wrath
  7. Inazuma 12
  8. Yakuza Dead Souls
  9. Ninja Gaiden 3
  11. Zhu Zhu Babies
  14. Pokepark 2

Warriors Orochi 3
NeverDead

Did they stock MGSHD in the end?

Cant beleive folk believe this guy and keep feeding him the attention.

I could see Walmart buying them, there is still place for a high street game chain

Yeah i overheard my local GameStation lot talking about "the nice xbox man" who "came and brought us some promo stuff and said nice things"

To be honest the "nice Xbox man" most definitely had no input with MS's decision... it's just a bit of a shame, since he was genuinely quite supportive and friendly. He comes once a month or so (and somehow I'd never met him before.) At this rate, I doubt I will again. :X

cjelly said:
NeverDead

Did they stock MGSHD in the end?

Yes to both of them. My local GAME still has a couple of Neverdead's behind the check-out and I know we have a couple of new MGS HD's on 360 at GS.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
The big companies have probably been wanting to twist the knife in GAME's back for a long time now, considering all the back-and-forth over second hand sales eating away at new copy sales and the like.

Wiseblade

Cant beleive folk believe this guy and keep feeding him the attention.

I could see Walmart buying them, there is still place for a high street game chain

I think the HMV is going to seize the opportunity and move into gaming in a big way. They already have a strong high street presence and the Gamerbase brand, It wouldn't be too surprising to see them snatch up a bunch of the floor space when the dust settles.

1. Mass Effect 3
  2. Mario Party 9
  3. Metal Gear Solid 3DS
  4. Asura's Wrath
  7. Inazuma 12
  8. Yakuza Dead Souls
  9. Ninja Gaiden 3
  11. Zhu Zhu Babies
  14. Pokepark 2

Also FIFA Street

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
To be honest the "nice Xbox man" most definitely had no input with MS's decision... it's just a bit of a shame, since he was genuinely quite supportive and friendly. He comes once a month or so (and somehow I'd never met him before.) At this rate, I doubt I will again. :X

Yes to both of them. My local GAME still has a couple of Neverdead's behind the check-out and I know we have a couple of new MGS HD's on 360 at GS.
Dare I ask how much you're selling NeverDead for?

I think the HMV is going to seize the opportunity and move into gaming in a big way. They already have a strong high street presence and the Gamerbase brand, It wouldn't be too surprising to see them snatch up a bunch of the floor space when the dust settles.

I don't know, speaking from no experience except my local, space that used to be for games (and 500 copies of Tony Hawk Ride in every store) seems to have been stolen for having large tables for tablets - as well as speakers, docks and Angry Bird plushes. The game section has shrunk despite their previous push in to the preowned arena.

A lot of the money in games retail is thanks to the OOOH SHINY thing that used to be held by Guitar Hero, the Wii, new consoles. Tablets have that for now.

Dare I ask how much you're selling NeverDead for?

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure it would be £39.99. :X

I was actually semi-interested in buying NeverDead, though I held off (since it had a lot of bad press / I already have so many games in the backlog still.) I'm assuming it is a tonne cheaper online now? Strikes me as a game that wouldn't sell very well...

So I've just had some really bad news, a very good friend of mine died this evening and I just got a call from his wife. I'll probably be gone for a while. Need to take some time off stuff. Good luck Brera, I hope it works out for you.

Wiseblade

I don't know, speaking from no experience except my local, space that used to be for games (and 500 copies of Tony Hawk Ride in every store) seems to have been stolen for having large tables for tablets - as well as speakers, docks and Angry Bird plushes. The game section has shrunk despite their previous push in to the preowned arena.

A lot of the money in games retail is thanks to the OOOH SHINY thing that used to be held by Guitar Hero, the Wii, new consoles. Tablets have that for now.

I definitely don't think they're moving away from games significantly, since the Gamerbase in trocadero is getting expended from 2000 to 10000 square feet this year. Then again, maybe it's an isolated case and I'm reading too much into it.

Of course not. To do that, I have to make a topic in the OT about relationship issues that aren't really issues

It was more the "cute, nerdy things" I was meaning :)

(and sorry to hear that, zomgbbqftw - makes stuff like this look rather meaningless. Best wishes to you and your friend's wife)

chunk3rvd

I went into the Liverpool Aintree branch (inside Comet) earlier and the staff denied all knowledge of any problems. Apparently they have a slew of slashed price 2nd hand games becase they simply have too much stock lol

They had a 3DS game out - Hudson's Sports Island - for 98p. I don't care if it's shit, I'm sure I can get 98p of enjoyment out of it! I grabbed PS3 TNA Impact for £1.99 as I figured I'd at least get a little multiplayer fun out of that. I also grabbed a PS3 Green Day Rock Band for £4.99 in the vain hope that the download code in the manual hadn't been used. Just got home and..... SUCCESS :D 46 new DLC songs for my Rock Band collection for under £10 is a win in my book!

Wish my Wii still worked as they had a great selection of cheap 2nd hand stuff for that

I definitely don't think they're moving away from games significantly, since the Gamerbase in trocadero is getting expended from 2000 to 10000 square feet this year. Then again, maybe it's an isolated case and I'm reading too much into it.

Might be a two tier strategy - big city, multifloor shops you have the space to do that, but the margins might not be great on individual stores for games so you use the flagships for brand building but sell a bit less (proportionally) elsewhere?

Edit: Oh I forgot that we have our resident HMVer who can speak way better than my guesstimates.

You are, while we aren't moving away from games completely there will be a largely reduced presence with a focus on audio/dvd/technology(tablets/headphones) with a smaller more focused game section.

bitoriginal

So I've just had some really bad news, a very good friend of mine died this evening and I just got a call from his wife. I'll probably be gone for a while. Need to take some time off stuff. Good luck Brera, I hope it works out for you.

Shit. I was enjoying your input in this thread. All the best.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback

I'm sorry to hear that Mr. BBQ. :( Take care and put aside all this talk, your loved ones need you more.

Am I really reading about GAFfers buying Angry Birds plushies?

What world is this?

Unlike Mr. "I have a super cute nerdy girlfriend who is awesome" up there, I was just buying one for my sister. I forget what the occasion was for though. Certainly wasn't a birthday or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom