• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of interesting tweets from UK based peeps...

@chris_Dring
"Just got off the phone. The news of OpCapita's bid is true. We await GAME's move"

@shoptonet
"shoptonet: Yakuza: Dead Souls to skip GAME: SEGA Europe has just confirmed today that Yakuza: Dead Souls will not be stocke... http://t.co/C8AelvKG"

So that's SEGA out as well... And OpCapita are supposedly confirmed to be making that move. However, that *IS* MCV's editor...

The bid is real, but it has not been made to Game shareholders, rather the creditors. Game will have little to no say in it, RBS and the other minor members of the banking syndicate will receive the bid and weigh it up vs administration. Depending on the nature of the bid sometimes administration is better and since the bank will be the first creditor they will get paid whatever happens. Either way, administration or this bid, Game's shareholders are extremely unlikely to see any kind of return.

One thing ASDA doesn't seem to have which other supermarkets do is "Express" or "Local" type stores, maybe they could use the retail premises for that and sell games as well?

I believe they recently bought out Netto and turned a few of the old Netto stores into Asda Express, or something similar.

I would much prefer it if they went into administration - not that I want people to lose their jobs, but it would be much "nicer" from a consumer perspective if there could be a proper fresh start. I worry that, if OpCapita buy the business out, it will be "business as usual" as it was with Comet.

They could still keep us in our jobs and have a fresh start anyway. I'm all for this.

Brera said:
Being on the megabuxxx!!!

1311949286835.jpg

Brera

Banned
I've got 1000 shares left over from earlier this week.

£100 should buy me a couple more thousand.

I'm gonna not be greedy this time. Sell at 10p!

Biggzy

The bid is real, but it has not been made to Game shareholders, rather the creditors. Game will have little to no say in it, RBS and the other minor members of the banking syndicate will receive the bid and weigh it up vs administration. Depending on the nature of the bid sometimes administration is better and since the bank will be the first creditor they will get paid whatever happens. Either way, administration or this bid, Game's shareholders are extremely unlikely to see any kind of return.

Bet RBS are hoping that one of those shareholders isn't a certain Mr Tom Hicks lol.

Zoibie

I've got 1000 shares left over from earlier this week.

£100 should buy me a couple more thousand.

I'm gonna not be greedy this time. Sell at 10p!

You know, I honestly hope this works out for you. Got to give you credit for your tenacity.

Brera

Banned
Fuuucck!!

Why did I listen to you guys! GMG have announced that a third party has made an offer of funding at 1730!!!

The share is gonna rocket tomorrow. Rocket!!! I'm changing my order to £150 (my credit facility was reviewed and I'm now operating on tighter lending parameters)

FUUUUUUCCCKK!!!

Brera

Banned
If only you'd grown a pair of balls. :D

Now just wait for the offer to fall through and the share price to tank again.

I plan to sell by around 1400hrs! Hopefully make back some losses? I've cancelled my last pending order to changed it to £200.

Is the stock likely open higher than 2.3p? I've left that as my buy limit. I only as it closed at 4p on friday and opened at 1.99 on monday!

Brera

Banned
My 1820 (£70 worth at the time of purchase) shares and I shall see this through to the bitter end!

images

My balls have been relocated and my body is ready!

TILL THE END!

I got the shakes earlier this week as it got me stressed but I should have sat tight!

Fuuucck!!

Why did I listen to you guys! GMG have announced that a third party has made an offer of funding at 1730!!!

The share is gonna rocket tomorrow. Rocket!!! I'm changing my order to £150 (my credit facility was reviewed and I'm now operating on tighter lending parameters)

FUUUUUUCCCKK!!!

Wait, your investing in GMG with borrowed money? Seems like a pretty crazy idea to me. High risk investment should only ever be made with money you can afford to lose, never with borrowed funds.

PaulLFC

If OpCapita do buy the business I hope they change some things round, and don't just keep it running as it was. There's reasons GAME got into this trouble in the first place, keeping things the same wouldn't help. One big change I hope they implement if they keep both Game and Gamestation is a diversification to be more in line with how they were before Game took Gamestation over. That, and focus more on stocking a wider range of games and not just the top 20 plus a load of casual tat.

PaulLFC

I really don't get why Walmart would want to buy Game, especially not with the huge number of stores they have now. Very strange, if true.

Edit: MCV: "What is certain is that at the start of the day we were counting the days until GAME's collapse. Now we are trying to gauge the extent of its rescue."

"Certain"? Jumping the gun a bit there aren't they? What's to say anyone will actually buy Game for sure?

JonnyBrad

That can't be right. £40m plus assuming £130m worth of debt? I would seriously question a company's business acumen.

Quarter of a billion dollars for something that can be bought for much, much less (at least £40m less) after administration.

Sounds like people are trying to pump shares. 12p is a farce.

Brera

Banned
Business is corrupt, fuck all will happen.

MCV have been accurate so far and balanced.

You could say...they've been fair and balanced?

GeorgeBushBigWink.jpg

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A lot of people have recently bought shares and have a sudden vested interested in seeing the value of these shares rise, if only in the short term, rise.

And suddenly "rumours" start appearing potentially pricing the shares at over x6 their current value?
KuGsj.gif

Yup, nothing wrong to see here.

Brera

Banned
Offers don't happen overnight.

Most likely Walmart, Comet, Gamestop have all been waiting for the final nail and 1/5p share was the breaking point. Even a fevered support shook on Monday!

They're going in for the kill and the rumor is that Opcapita or whatever they're called have made an offer and Walmart is waiting to pounce. I don't think Gamestop have the muscle in this bidding war, they've only just got out of debt.

One thing is for sure...4p by friday!

PaulLFC

Business is corrupt, fuck all will happen.

MCV have been accurate so far and balanced.

You could say...they've been fair and balanced?
:lol

How have they been accurate? Nothing they've said has actually come true yet, it's all speculation from "sources". If Game are officially bought by one of the four or five companies in the "rumours" MCV have heard today, THEN you can say they're accurate.

Most likely Walmart, Comet, Gamestop have all been waiting for the final nail and 1/5p share was the breaking point. Even a fevered support shook on Monday!

They're going in for the kill and the rumor is that Opcapita or whatever they're called have made an offer and Walmart is waiting to pounce. I don't think Gamestop have the muscle in this bidding war, they've only just got out of debt.

You're an embarrassment to RLLMUK, no wonder you was banned. I do believe you're trolling us all!

Walmart/asda"s bid might actually make some sense, split it into 2 groups of shops seeing as most towns have 2, run half as games shops and half a town centre convenience stores

Brera

Banned
You're an embarrassment to RLLMUK, no wonder you was banned. I do believe you're trolling us all!

rllmuk banned me 6 years ago! I'll have you know many want me back! The old guard are gone, along with them their miserable lack of humor.

Rllmuk, have me back and let the good times return!

On topic, I'm not trolling, I've set aside £200, I'm gonna start wheeling dealing with it make me some mullah!

Linkified

Is there a source in this that isn't Ben fucking Parfitt of MCV? I fully believe he has lost his mind.
A true source, not a reprint of their story. On phone so can't check till later.

No reporter ever reveals their sources you don't see Patrick from Giant Bomb going "Well the guy who told me all about Infinitry Ward studio heads being fired is Mr Joe King", do ya?

Just because you have a personal problem with the man and the site doesn't make his rumour any less credible, plus he did stick a gigantic "RUMOUR:" in the headline of the story. Don't know what ya want him to do.

Nevasleep

What, Comet!?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
from what ive been told comet is highly interested and is in talks with the game group more than anyone.

Activision have backed out?
Activision titles Cabela Big Game Hunter 2012 and Zhu Zhu Babies, plus Microsoft's Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure, will not be sold by the retailer, the memo to store managers reads
LMFAO

GAME OVAAAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom