• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sam

Woman in game today wouldn't allow me to buy Bioshock and Bulletstorm Epic Edition for £2 each cos I didn't have idea. She should have let me away with it considering I was about a foot taller and the shop will almost definitely be shut down.

I haven't had my ID checked while buying a videogame since I was about thirteen years old.

Yen

I haven't had my ID checked while buying a videogame since I was about thirteen years old.
I look 13 is what you're saying. I even had my ID checked for RE4, a 15 cert. I don't really carry id with me. They check anyone who doesn't have grey hair, rather like trying to buy alcohol at asda.

They dodged a bullet. Does anybody buy games in Comet/Currys/PC World anyway?

OpCapita probably weren't looking to take GAME and turn them into Comet - like Comet they see a company that 'as is' can be turned into something worthwhile by trimming fat and changing basic things, but not the core of the business. GAME likely would've remained GAME with them. OpCapita is an investment company, not a retail operation looking to assimilate GAME. It's also worth noting they haven't owned Comet for all that long.

Who knows what Asda/Wal Mart would do - if they'd keep it as video game stores or, more likely, use their locations and pre-negotiated leases to start opening "Asda Local" and "George" high street stores.

People buy games from DSG group when they clear up an old bunch for 97p...sadly these are too well publicised (thanks hotukdeals) so vultures grab them 50 at a time. Apart from that, I've never really seen anything.

Comet/OpCapita bid is off.
I do have to wonder what exactly OpCapita were doing with GAME. One of their other concerns, Comet is winding down games (as they're not a good thing to sell due to tiny margins) and also dropping about 1/3 of their staff. Comet having far bigger stores still employed less people than GAME...guess GAME had a lot of part timers (I think this true) or is seriously bloated (seems this is too).

I guess games are alright to sell...secondhand :p

That said the other beasts will see if its worth taking a bite now or waiting for it to keel over and to let the vultures fight over its carcass.

As for the share price catalysts I'm not too sure Blueshore really understand things. I mean:
“The fact is that GAME has a very viable long-term business model for the next five to ten years,” Blueshore’s Harsha Gowda explained. “It just needs to ride out the current downturn in the console cycle.
Waiting for rain is what that sounds like to me. Also while GAME should a have long term business model they seem to care more about short term fads and buying people out for too much money leading to today.

Also Blueshore said:
“GAME has a huge number of assets. It even owns its Basingstoke HQ which itself is extremely valuable.
If all else fails we have a big office and warehouse to sell off the back of recession.

Brera

Banned
Blue shore have the same idea as I do. If GMG can ride out this downturn somehow, they have a future. It's clear they can't in their current state and need space and time to restructure.

Also I have been informed by my fans on rllmuk that I won't be unbanned and that I was banned for "racist comments". I heavily refute this! I was banned for getting in a flame war with captain crunch and stated that I hoped he died after he said something offensive towards Muslims (not the first time).

I demand proof! DEMAND!!!

Back on topic, I've not bought more shares as I don't want to be trapped over the weekend. Just hope GMG don't post any news until after opening on Monday!

Oh and Chase is fucking awesome and needs unbanning pronto as he's the best thing to happen to rllmuk since jpickford got banned!

Brera

Banned
I would say I'm more like the filler material in 24.

Will Kim get eaten by Cougars? Will Brera actually make any money? Will GMG go bust by March 24th? Tick Tick Tick....

Glad I didn't buy on Friday, Monday is going to be another lulzfest. 0.5p here i cum!

The creditors have turned down Comet's offer to pay off all the debt! Do they want it to go bust?

Gowans

wKAs5l.jpg

Card Boy

Banned
In the UK...bomba is a way of life.

If only there were games worth buying....

This is the truth and I don't live in the northern hemisphere. All my PS3 games I import from the UK at bomba prices at 60% off 1 month after release.

I feel sorry for Americans celebrating and creating threads over a $10 saving.

Brera

Banned
You have to wonder what you would do with the "best prices in town". There's nothing to buy!!!

I knew I wasn't imagining people importing from the UK! In the US something getting $10 off rrp is "bomba". In the UK, GMG sell new releases at £42.99 which is still £7 below rrp and they get laughed at and are out of business. In the UK everything starts more or less 20% off rrp. A bomba is £14.99!

You can pick up UBI and Sega games 60% off within months! I bought assassins creed revelations for 19.99 last month brand new. Hardly bomba but patience has its rewards!

IpsoFacto

Somethin' is definately happening over at Game in Portugal.

There's a store here that's a 10 minute walk from where I live, they are doing a lot of hardware clearing out. Namely Xbox 360 and PS3 bundles, The limited edition Gears of War 3 bundle is selling at 140 GBP... wow.

Zizbuka

Banned
Not living in Europe, this Game saga doesn't really affect me. Although I'd like to see Game Stop go under.

The interesting part of this thread is seeing Brera go from Game champion to investment failure to egotist to ........... having fans?

Kyari

To be fair though, RRP in the UK is just super weird for video games, in that pretty much no game ever releases at £49.99, they generally always come out at £39.99. Game always gleefully points this out on their website as if they're saving you a tenner.

"the best price in town" means matching CeX at the very least so you should be looking toward £30 cash or £32 credit (just think you could get 16 copies of Brink). Those CeX prices are sans the online code. But given its GAME they'll probably swindle you like making it £30 credit only and CeX usually have some excuse not to give you cash (too early in the day and not enough in the till, too late in the day and they've just run off to deposit it into the bank).

The N7 edition is more like £50...

If I was EA, Capcom, and Nintendo I'd take exception to GAME using my product in a promotion that doesn't benefit the sales of my product and probably without consent. Maybe there's no legal footing there.

"the best price in town" means matching CeX at the very least
If you have a CeX. I was told they would only match "game specific high street retailers" excluding just about anyone except GAME and GameStation themselves. Managers make up rules for their own shop.

As much as I hate Game, if the next Xbox's prices are anything like Xbox Live's current Games on Demand service, brick and mortar stores aren't going anywhere.

£35 for Arkham Asylum? Get real.

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HubArticleView?hubId=148256&articleId=148257&catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151&cm_sp=tradein-_-topnav-_-tradein

Trade in deals page on the Game website.
I then saw this:
Play a Limited Edition Star Wars Xbox 360 320GB with Kinect and Kinect Star Wars game for Only £179.99 when you trade in an Xbox 250 250GB S and Kinect Sensor!

Wut. That has to be one of the worst 'offers' I've ever seen in my life. Trade in your current system and kinect for a slightly bigger hard drive, and R2-D2 case panels and another crappy Star Wars game. Oh and it'll cost you the best part of £200 for the privilege.

The Millenium Falcon has just emerged from the exploding Death Star: Advance Wars has arrived!
Completely new copy too. Plus another batch of Nintendo Stars points! All for nothing.

Edit: damn, points are expired. How long has this copy been sitting in the warehouse??

winstano

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HubArticleView?hubId=148256&articleId=148257&catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151&cm_sp=tradein-_-topnav-_-tradein

Trade in deals page on the Game website.
I then saw this:

Wut. That has to be one of the worst 'offers' I've ever seen in my life. Trade in your current system and kinect for a slightly bigger hard drive, and R2-D2 case panels and another crappy Star Wars game. Oh and it'll cost you the best part of £200 for the privilege.

Yeah, that's not happening any more, they're not carrying that console after MS pulled out.

Went past gamestation in Lincoln today, there's a great big (properly printed) sign outside offering £35 trade for ME3. EA can't be happy about that?!

Still, at least they've got a good relationship with their printers, eh?

I'd like to see Game Stop go under.

Alot of ppl do, but I just don't see it happening for a long time. I wonder what plans Sony and MS have when they collude on stopping used sales somehow. They need to be both on board for it to work.

CeX usually have some excuse not to give you cash (too early in the day and not enough in the till, too late in the day and they've just run off to deposit it into the bank).

That'w why I haven't bought or sold anything there in 6 years.

Carbonox

Went in today and scored:

Alpha Protocol - £1.98 Is this game any good? It sounds great from the box and I think I've heard some good stuff about it. I love choice-based RPG shooters. Deus Ex and the Mass Effect games are some of my favourites of the generation.

Dragon Age Origins - £4.98 Need to finally see what the fuss is about. Again, the fact it's Bioware sold it for me.

Killzone 2 - £2.98 Been meaning to get this for years as I loved the first. If I really like it then I'll get Killzone 3.

Everything else wasn't as great price-wise as it was on the site and going by other people's experiences in this topic.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Since Game website fucked up my online XBLA point order (failed a security check my arse), went in and used the last £2.50 on my reward card for 800 points at £4.49 by the end. You keep that 45p left on it, GMG. You keep it and you think about what you've done.

Had a £10 WH Smith gift card burning a hole in my wallet since Christmas as well, so tried to get rid of that by taking a £20 PSN Voucher up to the till. "Sorry sir, you cant use a gift card to buy another giftcard..." "But this isn't a gift card its..." "Sorry sir."

FUCK HIGH STREET RETAIL. FUCK IT FOREVER. I WILL WATCH YOU ALL BURN. (I guess I will buy lottery tickets or something with it next time I angrily stomp in)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom