• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a special Withering Look I adopt if they try that sort of nonsense on with me. If they push it further, I break out the lethal line: "Why would I want to spend more money to make the game *shorter*?"

Yeah, never got strategy guides myself. It's like buying a big book full of spoilers!

Gowans

Captain_Hindsight.jpg

haha!!!!

winstano

...and this is the issue GAME - if they survive - or whoever comes after them have to address.

If online retailers have you beat on price and selection - as they do, in my experience - then you have to beat them on something they can't offer. For me, the difference between online retail and bricks & mortar should be in the quality of the service and staff - knowledgeable, helpful staff, and good retail environments that make people want to visit just to browse should be key.

I'm not talking about coffee shops in GAME (echoes of Borders...) or anything daft like that, but having a strong, educated staff, well-laid-out stores and some kind of free-play/demo zones in each shop where people can try out new retail titles would be a start.

Exactly. As mentioned previously in the thread, there's a little shop near me called Gotham Games that sells tonnes of retro stuff. If they had a bigger store with some TVs/demo units and some new games, then it'd be a haven for folks that want to buy games. I'd be happy to spend a quid or 2 more in a shop that I enjoy going to.

Marco1

I think that for anyone contemplating opening a game store that online is the only way to go now.
Even opening an indie store would be dire.
It seems shopto have it nailed down pretty good, those guys are faultless.

I hope one day soon we look back on this upselling bullshit as a company-damaging, customer-irritating, over-americanised, old-fashioned way of running a business.

It not just prices driving people online, its convenience, and its not convenient to get the spanish inquisition when at a damn till. I've been waiting in the queue, shut the fuck up and let me get home.
Many of us don't want to say a single word to anyone while going through the hassle of shopping, every sentence from your corporate-trained mouth is an obstacle between me and my purchase.

Rage, feel it on my finger tips
Hear it from the GAME counter
Your love's coming down like
Rage, I'm just here to buy a game
Please don't talk to me
This GAMEs making me just rage

Rage.png

DarkFlow

Banned
In the UK...bomba is a way of life.

If only there were games worth buying....
And in the US, getting $10 off is a "steal". When your only major player is gamestop, best buy, wally world, and amazon... picking be slim. They don't compete and don't really try to undercut the other.

anastazius

Neo Member
Manchester? Same here :) There are so many GAFers from the North West.

I have an indie where I live but he's the only one. The other one shut and moved to Ashton but I don't know if he's still going or not. It was called Intergames. There was one in the Arndale but they closed down. They were a bit crap though tbh. There's definitely the potential for a couple in the Manchester area though

You guys should get on the bus to Stretford and get to Grainger Games there, or even better get on the 86 to Chorlton and come to Chips. Ace stores, both of them.

It'll be sad to see Game go, mainly coz I worked there a few times and feel sorry for my ex-colleagues. If only they realised having multiple stores in each city competing against each other was a bad idea early on. Also their preowned games prices are disgusting.

Manchester? Same here :) There are so many GAFers from the North West.

I have an indie where I live but he's the only one. The other one shut and moved to Ashton but I don't know if he's still going or not. It was called Intergames. There was one in the Arndale but they closed down. They were a bit crap though tbh. There's definitely the potential for a couple in the Manchester area though

I remember in the late 90s going to Ringo's in the basement of the Colliseum in Manchester. For all your "import"/"backup" needs.

Brera

Banned
To my followers on rllmuk,

Don't worry, I can afford the losses ive made. It's not nice but I'm comfortable.

I've been strong these past few months but fucked up monday. Fuxked up big style and lost my balls but I've got them back. At 3.5p I won't make as much as I would have, but I'm just after a break even point now.

6p and I'm out. With 5000 shares, I'd make fuxk all anyway! I can't see it reaching 10p.

But then...anything can happen. I was too slow to react yesterday :-(

We receive a copy of each new MCV magazine at work, so it was amusing to see that front cover enter the shop today. We were in quite high spirits, to be honest. People still buying a lot of sale stuff and a crap load of trade-ins came in (which I managed to get Advance Wars: Dark Conflict for 98p and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin for £1.98 out of.) :D

Rage, feel it on my finger tips
Hear it from the GAME counter
Your love's coming down like
Rage, I'm just here to buy a game
Please don't talk to me
This GAMEs making me just rage[/IMG]

I laughed hard. Usually you can tell when a customer knows what they're doing / buying. I wouldn't have kept hammering on, but that's just me. Besides, whenever I think PS2 emulation I just think back to the thread here on GAF with those amazing Dragon Quest VIII shots. :X

Brera

Banned
And in the US, getting $10 off is a "steal". When your only major player is gamestop, best buy, wally world, and amazon... picking be slim. They don't compete and don't really try to undercut the other.

Five years ago, it was cheaper to buy NTSC games but the import market is dead, I've not gone to play-Asia in years and I've spent thousands there.

Right now, the UK is a gamers paradise. GAME might have 42.99 on games but the rrp is 49.99! Not to mention you can get good deals in there sometimes.

The most surprising thing I've heard on gaf is a US gamer in this thread saying he imports from the UK!

Some of you need to pop into shopto.co.uk....

Brera

Banned
We receive a copy of each new MCV magazine at work, so it was amusing to see that front cover enter the shop today. We were in quite high spirits, to be honest. People still buying a lot of sale stuff and a crap load of trade-ins came in (which I managed to get Advance Wars: Dark Conflict for 98p and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin for £1.98 out of.) :D

I laughed hard. Usually you can tell when a customer knows what they're doing / buying. I wouldn't have kept hammering on, but that's just me. Besides, whenever I think PS2 emulation I just think back to the thread here on GAF with those amazing Dragon Quest VIII shots. :X

Just a question...how much is game giving for these trade ins?

30p for advance wars?

Just a question...how much is game giving for these trade ins?

30p for advance wars?

I really don't remember. It was either 20p or 50p. I pointed it out to the chap trading the games in and he was all "Oh it's okay, I just want to get rid of them." He ended up with over £100+ anyway, since he had a tonne of other DS / 360 games to trade in.

Brera

Banned
This is the average GAME customer.

Customer stupidity wasn't strong enough to counter balance management stupidity!

This is the average GAME customer.

Customer stupidity wasn't strong enough to counter balance management stupidity!

Eh, I wouldn't call him stupid. He wanted a clear-out, needed the cash, walked away with £100+ for a pile of games he never plays any more. He had pretty good taste in games, hell, he sold me on two of them (and they're great.) I also don't see how offering 20p/50p cash value when we sell it at 98p is management stupidity. I made clear to him he wouldn't be getting much, and he was totally okay with that. Some of his other games were worth £10+ anyway.

In regards to this transaction Brera; if you was GAME management, what would you do? When someone wants to trade in a title that is sold for 98p. I'm curious to hear. :X

Good grief, just read a guy picked up Steel Battalion plus the gargantuan controller for 0.49p at Gamestation in Salford. Surely the deal of the firesale?

Mr. Sam

I cannot believe this, the thing is like a prime antique, a relic of a greater, crazier gaming age, that will only increase in value as the years go on.
Surely GAME can't be that stupid. Lucky bastard if true.

Better than the deals I got:

jYX47mPksosa9.JPG

How do I best remove that crap from Undead Nightmare's case?

teeny

Better than the deals I got:

jYX47mPksosa9.JPG

How do I best remove that crap from Undead Nightmare's case?

I always use a flannel and warm soapy water. Use the corner of the flannel and gently rub back and forth until all of the paper and the adhesive underneath is washed away.

Why the hell have they repriced everything up mere days after the sale first began?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up Space Marine for £1.98, hard to pass up. Even if I don't like I won't feel like I've wasted money.

Goron2000

best junior ever
I always use a flannel and warm soapy water. Use the corner of the flannel and gently rub back and forth until all of the paper and the adhesive underneath is washed away.

Why the hell have they repriced everything up mere days after the sale first began?

Hand sanitizer is good for this too, if you go to poundland i think you can get 3 bottles for a £1. Always good to have a bottle handy.

liger05

Went into the oxford st store today and it was dead in there. The 3DS section really is pathetic and yes the skylanders 3DS £59.99 is not a mistake.

Didnt see anything on the 360 either which looked worthwile.

Went into the oxford st store today and it was dead in there. The 3DS section really is pathetic and yes the skylanders 3DS £59.99 is not a mistake.

Didnt see anything on the 360 either which looked worthwile.

the 3ds section in all their stores is pathetic, the other week the sales guy in one tried saying theres only about 30 games available for it, oh i chuckled

PaulLFC

Greed.
Rich, creamy, mindless corporate greed.

Kinda what killed the whole company.
I'm genuinely struggling to comprehend what good they thought raising prices to their usual "it's cheaper somewhere else" levels would do when they need to pay the rent in a week. "We need money, fast. Let's raise all the prices so people are much more likely to not buy anything, that'll work!"

PaulLFC

i hope not guess il find out tomorrow
Which store? I know the Liverpool stores have raised most of their prices, there's the odd cheap cricket or FIFA game left, and a couple of PSP games, but apart from that, pretty much everything is back to "meh, cheaper elsewhere" levels.

Which store? I know the Liverpool stores have raised most of their prices, there's the odd cheap cricket or FIFA game left, and a couple of PSP games, but apart from that, pretty much everything is back to "meh, cheaper elsewhere" levels.

I'm tempted to go for a look in Game and GS in the post apocalyptic town of St Helens tomorrow for any PSP stuff, since I feel like a wonder around somewhere.

Place is a dump though, I'd only be going there on the off chance of a PSP bargain.

I guess they were thinking "Lower the prices dramatically, get back lots of old customers to remind them why they think we're great, then go back to the old prices and enjoy all our loyal customers returning because they remmeber how great we are and would miss us"?

To me that would suggest they are pretty positive that one of these buyers are gonna pony up pretty quick, that or they realized that maybe selling all the preowned for super-cheap maybe wasn't helping get the Publishers on side anyway.

We'll see what transpires tomorrow and monday I imagine - they'll be keen to get the purchase thru asap if it is all a-okay to go ahead

Bleepey

Five years ago, it was cheaper to buy NTSC games but the import market is dead, I've not gone to play-Asia in years and I've spent thousands there.

Right now, the UK is a gamers paradise. GAME might have 42.99 on games but the rrp is 49.99! Not to mention you can get good deals in there sometimes.

The most surprising thing I've heard on gaf is a US gamer in this thread saying he imports from the UK!

Some of you need to pop into shopto.co.uk....

I can believe it but please post a link.

To me that would suggest they are pretty positive that one of these buyers are gonna pony up pretty quick, that or they realized that maybe selling all the preowned for super-cheap maybe wasn't helping get the Publishers on side anyway.

We'll see what transpires tomorrow and monday I imagine - they'll be keen to get the purchase thru asap if it is all a-okay to go ahead

Loading their customers up with cheap games isn't going to get them back instore for a while anyway.

Brera

Banned
Eh, I wouldn't call him stupid. He wanted a clear-out, needed the cash, walked away with £100+ for a pile of games he never plays any more. He had pretty good taste in games, hell, he sold me on two of them (and they're great.) I also don't see how offering 20p/50p cash value when we sell it at 98p is management stupidity. I made clear to him he wouldn't be getting much, and he was totally okay with that. Some of his other games were worth £10+ anyway.

In regards to this transaction Brera; if you was GAME management, what would you do? When someone wants to trade in a title that is sold for 98p. I'm curious to hear. :X

If I was offered 30p for advance wars: dark conflict, I'd tell you to go fuck yourself. I wouldnt be stupid enough to trade it in for the that much...I wouldn't even trade my shit in at GAME.

I would have taken it to CEX or cash converters and got cash, then go to game and stock up on even more games.

Dark conflict is worth much more than 98p never mind 30p. I can see why game over that price, but can't understand why someone would go for 30p just to get rid of the game. I'd rather chuck it in the bin and save the cost of petrol.

I'm tempted to go for a look in Game and GS in the post apocalyptic town of St Helens tomorrow for any PSP stuff, since I feel like a wonder around somewhere.

Place is a dump though, I'd only be going there on the off chance of a PSP bargain.

I live there, save yourself the effort, most of the stock has been repriced up now and there ain't too much left in Game, you may fare better in GameStation but don't hold your breath.

Danj

Doubt there'll be anything world shattering but I'm going to pop in to Cambridge centre and check out GAME and Gamestation again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom