• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Additional info here:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/game/important-news-about-game/10150774075271000
Confirming that you can no longer (at the moment) redeem points or gift cards :/.

Damn, they are suspending GameWallet? Isn't that their online payments system? That's basically real money. Again, if this money isn't in a separate, untouchable account, then the (former) management are in for a world of trouble. Pre-order money should also be in a separate, untouchable account.

Moobabe

Damn, they are suspending GameWallet? Isn't that their online payments system? That's basically real money. Again, if this money isn't in a separate, untouchable account, then the (former) management are in for a world of trouble. Pre-order money should also be in a separate, untouchable account.

Game Wallet isn't online payments - it's a way in which you can pay for online games and microtransactions, very much like an all encompassing NCSoft subscription.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/store-closures-begin-at-game-and-gamestation/093365

Here's a list of the stores we believe to have been closed:

GAME

• Croydon
  • Bristol Cabot Circus
  • Bath
  • Milton Keynes
  • Coventry West Orchards
  • Norwich
  • Bromley
  • Exeter
  • Plymouth New George Street
  • Bournemouth

GAMESTATION

• Birmingham New Street
  • Birmingham Palisades
  • Sutton
  • Enfield
  • Bromley
  • Llaneli
  • Sunderland
  • Norwich
  • Great Yarmouth
  • Taunton
  • Ilford
  • Cumbernauld
  • Coventry
  • Hyde
  • Bournemouth

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fucking bullshit! Used to love the Gamestation in Enfield Town! Much better than the Game and the staff were awesome, used to share many a gaming anecdote with them. Will be very sad to see them all get fucked over. Then again, the Game in Enfield town was also pretty good, the manager is quite cool and they don't upsell as much there are other Games in London that I have been to.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/store-closures-begin-at-game-and-gamestation/093365

Here's a list of the stores we believe to have been closed:

GAME

• Croydon
  • Bristol Cabot Circus
  • Bath
  • Milton Keynes
  • Coventry West Orchards
  • Norwich
  • Bromley
  • Exeter
  • Plymouth New George Street
  • Bournemouth

GAMESTATION

• Birmingham New Street
  • Birmingham Palisades
  • Sutton
  • Enfield
  • Bromley
  • Llaneli
  • Sunderland
  • Norwich
  • Great Yarmouth
  • Taunton
  • Ilford
  • Cumbernauld
  • Coventry
  • Hyde
  • Bournemouth

Can confirm Corydon Game is closed, just went there and saw the sign up in the window, Gamestation is still open though.

mclem

Ye gods, the Bath store's gone. I'd shopped there since I was about ten (When it was a Future Zone (with that funky polygonal head sign!), then an EB).

Looking at the lineup, does that mean the Gamestation Bath is still around? It's been a long time since I was last in the city (moved away when I went to university), but I remember being very pleased when they opened their doors.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member

Agreed.

Those accounts should have been protected. Am I right in thinking Gamewallet was used for F2P/facebook game purchases and MMO subscriptions?

Thats extremely poor form.

Game Wallet isn't online payments - it's a way in which you can pay for online games and microtransactions, very much like an all encompassing NCSoft subscription.

Yeah, it's an online payments system. It doesn't matter what it is used for, the idea is that you top up an account and buy online goods with them much like PSN credit. That money should be walled off in a separate account, not spent on rent or director wages.

mclem

The way I see it, Game.co.uk has some mileage left in it and the administrator will want to keep it going and sell it off separately, possibly to one of Asda/Tesco/Sainsburys who will integrate it with their entertainment distributor and offer crazy prices online.
If nothing else, there's gotta be a bit of a premium on the domain name alone!

Moobabe

Yeah, it's an online payments system. It doesn't matter what it is used for, the idea is that you top up an account and buy online goods with them much like PSN credit. That money should be walled off in a separate account, not spent on rent or director wages.

Ah sorry, I thought you meant like a paypal equivalent for the website. But yeah - it's a shame it's suspended - though I don't think we've ever sold one.

LordAlu

Leeds represent! They'll close at least 3 of the 5 stores in a 4 mile radius of town I'm sure. Probably leave open one of the Games in town (Headrow or Albion street) and White Rose.
I'm pretty sure Albion Street was one of the planned store closures that happened on Saturday. There should be just the Headrow one and the Gamestation near Corn Exchange left in the city centre now. Unless they've been called today?

I'm pretty sure Albion Street was one of the planned store closures that happened on Saturday. There should be just the Headrow one and the Gamestation near Corn Exchange left in the city centre now. Unless they've been called today?

I doubt they'll keep both open in town now though. And there's a game at Crown Point Retail Park and one at the White Rose shopping centre as well. I'll try and swing by Crown Point later.

General thoughts - Even though the bank got PwC, PwC must treat the bank's bid the same as any incoming bid for locations from any other bidder. I expect the bank wants to take over, roll the debt into a new company and flog them off after exiting administration. I don't see it personally. More likely PwC will listen to bids from Gamestop or other interested parties, bring in around £100m from sales of locations and existing stock getting the bank their money back and the tax man. The losers will be the landlords with leases for unprofitable locations who will not get their rent.

Someone is going to lose here, obviously it won't be the banks or the tax man, my gut feeling is that any bidder will have ensure any trade credit is paid off as a gesture of goodwill to the suppliers and to ensure that the new company received new games from said suppliers. Landlords will be told to take a hike, especially those in unprofitable locations. I expect there will be a full renegotiation of the rent bill, even in profitable locations, from what I know GMG were massively overpaying rent post-2009 but because of their corporate structure it was difficult to get a renegotiation. The administrator will have no such problem.

Spookie

herpderp.jpg

People don't half post some stupid things on twitter.

Chinner

Banned
Leeds represent! They'll close at least 3 of the 5 stores in a 4 mile radius of town I'm sure. Probably leave open one of the Games in town (Headrow or Albion street) and White Rose.

whats funny is that before all of this was happened they were going to open another GAME store in the trinity leeds shopping mall when it opens next year. they have no fucking idea what they're doing. but yeah i agree leaving one in headrow and white rose would probably make business sense.

GAME in Stirling has closed. Hear Gamestation is still open for now, that probably implies the GS is/was better performing. Hopefully they'll keep it around for now, its a good store.

acm2000

just chucking game.co.uk into random free appraisal site, quotes £75,000-£100,000 for the domain

an american site "Game.co.uk Estimated Value $1,328,896 USD"

General thoughts - Even though the bank got PwC, PwC must treat the bank's bid the same as any incoming bid for locations from any other bidder. I expect the bank wants to take over, roll the debt into a new company and flog them off after exiting administration. I don't see it personally. More likely PwC will listen to bids from Gamestop or other interested parties, bring in around £100m from sales of locations and existing stock getting the bank their money back and the tax man. The losers will be the landlords with leases for unprofitable locations who will not get their rent.

Someone is going to lose here, obviously it won't be the banks or the tax man, my gut feeling is that any bidder will have ensure any trade credit is paid off as a gesture of goodwill to the suppliers and to ensure that the new company received new games from said suppliers. Landlords will be told to take a hike, especially those in unprofitable locations. I expect there will be a full renegotiation of the rent bill, even in profitable locations, from what I know GMG were massively overpaying rent post-2009 but because of their corporate structure it was difficult to get a renegotiation. The administrator will have no such problem.

So in summary a leaner, meaner company will emerge phoenix-like from the ashes?

Busty

Banned
I don't think I ever once visited a GAME shop and left with a purchase but GameStation was a regular haunt for me.

A shame that so many are losing their jobs.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm back!

The ex-Game at Princes Quay has its windows partially painted up now...

lpbAvm.jpg

...while Gamestation at Prospect Centre is alive for the time being.

R0DHhm.jpg

acm2000

Additional info here:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/game/important-news-about-game/10150774075271000
Confirming that you can no longer (at the moment) redeem points or gift cards :/.
/QUOTE]

You missed the most important part of that:

There is going to be a LOT of pissed off people wondering where the fuck their money, and/or game is.

to be fair, anyone stupid enough to pay a deposit upfront to a dying company, deserves to lose it, the alarm bells have been ringing for months

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member

All the above I would agree with with the exception of your belief that HMRC will be repaid. They rank alongside all unsecured creditors including landlords and suppliers. As a result will also be set to lose a portion of their liability.

Danj

So in summary a leaner, meaner company will emerge phoenix-like from the ashes?

I think that's probably the best-case scenario here. The worst (and more likely) case is that a bunch of other companies cherry-pick the best locations. For example I wouldn't be surprised if ASDA (who were alleged to have expressed some interest) snapped up some of the good locations to make into "local" type convenience stores.

kiri

I used to work for Game back when it was Electronics Boutique in the UK. Had a great time working for them before they got more corporate, took over GameStation and proceeded to ruin the market for everyone else.

They went from a company focussed on gaming and those who were interested in gaming to a company solely interested in buyouts, shop expansion and the immediate bottom line, without having any actual plans for the future apart from wanting to have two stores per square mile in the UK.

Can confirm GAME Wrexham and GameStation Wrexham are gone. :(

Wow, surprised they've closed both. Had a feeling GameStation might survive as it was always busy and had some good, knowledgeable staff.

Biggest regret of my gaming life was selling my mint, boxed SNES and 50 games to them in 2004 for £80 :(

All the above I would agree with with the exception of your belief that HMRC will be repaid. They rank alongside all unsecured creditors including landlords and suppliers. As a result will also be set to lose a portion of their liability.

I keep forgetting that HMRC lost their secured creditor status! Absolutely stupid decisions that continues to fuck the tax man over. I do hope the government looks at it and reinstalls HMRC as a secured creditor for all businesses. It's not right that a company can evade their taxes by going bankrupt.

I used to work for Game back when it was Electronics Boutique in the UK. Had a great time working for them before they got more corporate, took over GameStation and proceeded to ruin the market for everyone else.

They went from a company focussed on gaming and those who were interested in gaming to a company solely interested in buyouts, shop expansion and the immediate bottom line, without having any actual plans for the future apart from wanting to have two stores per square mile in the UK.

Me too, from 1999 to 2000 in the Milton Keynes EB. Was in control of the stock room. That was an absolute blast, such fun making customers buy Dreamcasts!

Not heard anything from the Swindon stores, but with 2 Games and one Gamestation within throwing distance of each other I'll be surprised if all remain open.

Sucks that so many people are losing there jobs from this.

In my eyes it'd be the one type of store that stands a good chance to remain open against all the others that close.

PaulLFC

According to MCV, both Game and Gamestation are closing in Liverpool. It doesn't say which ones, but I'm assuming it's the Clayton Square and St Johns ones rather than the Liverpool One and Lord Street ones. Gamestation on Lord Street was still open about an hour and a half ago.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
I keep forgetting that HMRC lost their secured creditor status! Absolutely stupid decisions that continues to fuck the tax man over. I do hope the government looks at it and reinstalls HMRC as a secured creditor for all businesses. It's not right that a company can evade their taxes by going bankrupt.

Couldn't agree more. All that is happening now is that HMRC are spending more money petitioning to wind up Company's in the UK causing high court costs with little hope of recovering anything. The Companies court is so backed up through HMRC petitions it takes an age for anyone else to get a listed hearing. The amount of unpaid tax liabilities from Company's in the UK is utterly staggering I think the last working estimate was roughly £25bn!

My town has two stores, one is closing (ex EB). For the best, it always under performed. They already closed GameStation.
herpderp.jpg

People will type anything on the internet.
Citizens can avoid their debt by going to citizen's advice bureaus. why not businesses too?

Hope all you guys land on your feet sooner rather than later. Pretty sure, despite all the things said, no-one is really mad at the shop level staff that worked for GAME.

This actually pretty much spells DEATH and DOOM.

So there's really no chance for any last minute -90% off "all stock must go" sales?

Unlikely. The only way this happens is if GMG is liquidated and all of its assets sold to pay creditors. Even then there is a good chance that the suppliers will buy back their stock in bulk and used games will be sold in bulk deals to CEX/HMV as it will bring in a lump sum without having to spend any money in keeping stores open.

herpderp.jpg

If Game go down, the market will be less competitive, thats just a fact. Game themselves had rip off prices, but thats probably why the competition sold lower than them, without Game to beat, theres nothing stopping supermarkets etc selling for a little higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom