• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floex

If Game go down, the market will be less competitive, thats just a fact. Game themselves had rip off prices, but thats probably why the competition sold lower than them, without Game to beat, theres nothing stopping supermarkets etc selling for a little higher.

The Supermarkets will still have to compete with each other so I'm not sure what your issue is.

Sealda

Banned
Wow, surprised they've closed both. Had a feeling GameStation might survive as it was always busy and had some good, knowledgeable staff.

Biggest regret of my gaming life was selling my mint, boxed SNES and 50 games to them in 2004 for £80 :(

That was one of the most fascinating thing about GAME. How they actually had these trade-in prices for GC, SNES, N64 etc. and no one ever traded in those types of games. Once in a while, they had so truly terrible SNES games in stock, of course, if they ever had a box it was in the worse condition possible.

Anyway, i cannot believe you did that!

Spookie

If Game go down, the market will be less competitive, thats just a fact. Game themselves had rip off prices, but thats probably why the competition sold lower than them, without Game to beat, theres nothing stopping supermarkets etc selling for a little higher.

There is more than just GAME on the high street. Not to mention the numerous online stores they have to compete with plus DD on the PC.

mclem

There is going to be a LOT of pissed off people wondering where the fuck their money, and/or game is.
I've never really liked the whole prepaid preorder culture, so I'm interested to see how this plays out in terms of public acceptance of the concept.

It must be *really* shitty for people who had an ME3 preorder but hadn't moved their credit onto something else yet.

GAME admitted to not competing on price. And if supermarkets colluded to raise prices, that would be an anti competition affair. They will always compete with each other, and on a playing field GAME couldn't begin to imagine. Look into loss leaders.

Jaffaboy

My store has closed (Stafford) :( I was let go in January after being promised a position there, but now all the rest of my gang are out of a job. I think beers are in order tonight.

Patryn

Has anyone gone in yet and noticed if Sony has pulled its stock out or not? I'm curious if they're just sitting and waiting this process out or not.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
People need to get away from this fire sale idea. All new stock will be on retention of title with the big suppliers. This basically means that the stock remains property of the supplier until their debt is paid in full.

The only chance of a heavy discounting will come over time, the longer the administrators don't have a buyer. At that point you will see discounts to pre owned stock and new stock from smaller suppliers that does not require to be returned. This will be to help fund the continuation of business.

s_mirage

There is going to be a LOT of pissed off people wondering where the fuck their money, and/or game is.

To anyone in the know legally: does this have the potential to get ugly for the ex management? It seems as if they were still encouraging pre-orders and trade ins for credit when management must have been fully aware that in all probability they would not be around to actually make good on these arrangements.

123rl

I can understand not redeeming reward points. That seems fair for now but not processing refunds or exchanges? That seems illegal.

Danj

I can understand not redeeming reward points. That seems fair for now but not processing refunds or exchanges? That seems illegal.

Isn't that kind of the point of the administration process though? Entering into administration allows for the company to be restructured or sold or whatever while under protection from legal liabilities?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
From what I've heard people saying looks like the stores in Dublin might all be closed

Any more on this? Where's it coming from? All I've seen so far is chatter than the Dundrum stores are closing. Of course, that can't be the extent of it, but if ALL stores are going, that'd be a bit of a shock. I'd assume ALL irish stores would be going too then.

Any more on this? Where's it coming from? All I've seen so far is chatter than the Dundrum stores are closing. Of course, that can't be the extent of it, but if ALL stores are going, that'd be a bit of a shock. I'd assume ALL irish stores would be going too then.

Heard it from a friend who works there but I can't be 100% on if it will be all the stores, people on boards.ie are posting that Ilac and Dawson Street are gone too which are the city centre stores so it wouldn't surprise me if what I heard is true

EDIT: CVG just tweeted all Irish stores are closed

shaneskim

To anyone in the know legally: does this have the potential to get ugly for the ex management? It seems as if they were still encouraging pre-orders and trade ins for credit when management must have been fully aware that in all probability they would not be around to actually make good on these arrangements.

The Department for Trade and Industry doesn't have a massive amount of funding to go after dodgy directors, and even then it's only in high profile cases or where there has been clear nailed on fraud.

There are some mitigating factors at play here and the directors can argue that they were seeking a solvent sale up until they put down the notice to appoint admins. If they closed the pre-order / trade in side down then it may have diminished the value in the propsective purchasers / investors eyes.

Crappy tactics tho.

JonnyBrad

I'm gonna assume that at least one of the Game's in Cardiff centre will be closing its doors. Hope the gamestation survives as it was actually quite good.

Stuart444

Game in Sauchiehall/Buchanan Galleries are gone. Gamestation on Sauchiehall st has gone. Dunno about the others, I'd imagine Union st will stay open for the time being.

Damn... I expected some closures (especially the one in the galleries) but taking both Game and Gamestation from Sauchiehall I didn't expect.

Just Union Street, St Enochs, Debenhems (in St Enochs) left to find out about...

Either way, good luck to everyone.

I'm gonna assume that at least one of the Game's in Cardiff centre will be closing its doors. Hope the gamestation survives as it was actually quite good.

Look up a few posts. Queen Street is closed. Didn't even know we still had a Gamestation, where is it?

I know the game in St Davids (2) and the one near Cardiff City's Stadium.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Heard it from a friend who works there but I can't be 100% on if it will be all the stores, people on boards.ie are posting that Ilac and Dawson Street are gone too which are the city centre stores so it wouldn't surprise me if what I heard is true

EDIT: CVG just tweeted all Irish stores are closed

Yeah, i just saw the retweet. Wow if true, a shame. Feel badly for my former manager and the other folks working there now.

clockpunk

Game in Sauchiehall/Buchanan Galleries are gone. Gamestation on Sauchiehall st has gone. Dunno about the others, I'd imagine Union st will stay open for the time being.

Used to work there - the last retail job I ever had. Horrible place, and badly run by a lacklustre manager. The submanager (in training), whose name I forget but sported a fantastic mohican, was a decent chap, though.

I imagine Game Braehead will be safe, despite being even worse.

Brera

Banned
norm-49985417e9765-Streetfighter+(1994).jpeg

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Wow. Things are going fast. I was in there the other day.

defel

Look up a few posts. Queen Street is closed. Didn't even know we still had a Gamestation, where is it?

It makes sense to have one location in cardiff, I'm not surprised that the queens at one shut down. There was a game station but it closed a few months back unless there is one I'm unaware of.

clockpunk

Glasgow Fort?!?! That is... not at all accesable from the city center, is it? And why would it ignore Union St.?

Edit: my word, quite a few members of GlasgowGAF here!

Dachande

Anyone know about Leeds?

There's at least two GAME's in town, I can't imagine both of those will stay. There's a Gamestation too, and a GAME at the White Rose Centre. Would be a bit shit if all four went...

The Supermarkets will still have to compete with each other so I'm not sure what your issue is.

Yeah I agree, all the same though I am slightly worried. I am looking at things in a slightly odd way, and I am probably off base, but even though the supermarkets will be in competition with eachother, because there wont be a store dedicated to selling games to try and price beat, they will feel less pressured into dropping prices. Im not sure how the dynamic works, supermarkets could be quite content to sell games on the odd occasion someone is doing the rest of the weekly shop and as such may not feel as pressured to price match other supermarkets.

Probably talking rubbish, I hope I am.

Seems Milton Keynes Midsummer Place has fallen.

I helped set that one up, when EB bought Game around 2000 the EB in the Shopping Centre sent loads of staff and stock over to get them going. I still remember writing rude messages on their deliveries from Lynx to the warehouse guy over there. It was always a pleasure to receive a box of PSOnes with a message saying "You c**t!!" on it.

lettermassing

Neo Member
Glasgow Fort?!?! That is... not at all accesable from the city center, is it? And why would it ignore Union St.?

Edit: my word, quite a few members of GlasgowGAF here!

Never realised that there were so many of us here, and I know, how do you even get to the Fort without driving on the motorway?

Anyone know about Leeds?

There's at least two GAME's in town, I can't imagine both of those will stay. There's a Gamestation too, and a GAME at the White Rose Centre. Would be a bit shit if all four went...

Apparently Albion Street was on the list to go the other week. I imagine they'll just keep the one on the Headrow and the White Rose, getting rid of the gamestation near the corn exchange and the Game at Crown Point.

Grieves

My mate has just phoned to say Gamestation in Nottingham is still open - don't know about Game.

Anyone know about the Long Eaton branch of Gamestation?

shaneskim

Apparently Albion Street was on the list to go the other week. I imagine they'll just keep the one on the Headrow and the White Rose, getting rid of the gamestation near the corn exchange and the Game at Crown Point.

Albion St store has had a "To Let" sign on for a few weeks now

* Stealth LeedsGaf admission *

no angel

Glad I spanked my £25 gift card on Friday for xbl points now. Feel bad for the guys that were in the trenches and now out on their ear, I hope you all find another job quickly.

JonnyBrad

Game Station is/was in St Davids 1 opposite bear factory (the the door that comes out where mothercare used to be on the Hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom