• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

123rl

It'll be interesting to know which Liverpool stores are shut. I agree with Paul that I expect the GS on Lord Street and the Liverpool One Game will be kept. The other two outlets seem to small and hidden to be saved.

Wonder what will happen in St Helens and Warrington: Game and GS in each currently?

I know the Wigan Gamestation was going but is the Game store closing as well? It's a big store but in an awkward location (5 minute walk from the main town centre area)

clockpunk

Braehead and The Fort were always the two biggest money makers in Scotland (Braehead is actually one of the biggest for taking money in the UK).

Is that... really? Damn, well they really need to replace the she-devil manageress with a more competent individual while they still can. So rude, ill-mannered and lacking any social skills - especially when there is a much friendlier HMV 2 minutes walk away.

Speaking of which, I guess HMV at the top of Buchannan St is the place to go to now, for that end of the city...

But cheers, chaps - I shall certainly check out CeX when I get an opportunity!

An upside is that GAME Group now has zero debt. To a company big enough to stomach the up-front costs and competent enough to run the stores, it'd be a fairly attractive prospect.

They do not have zero debt, they have £85m worth of credit secured against the company. The administrator will sell off as many assets as required to ensure all secured creditors are paid. Employees are number one in the list, then it is the banks, HMRC used to be second, but they got demoted by the Enterprise Act 2002 to unsecured so they are in the shit with trade creditors.

Sorry if this has already been posted but I have just read that the adminstators are saying that any game vouchers are now worthless & can't be redeemed for any merchandise.

That seriously sucks because my girlfriend got me a £25 voucher for Christmas.
Do you reckon its worth me trying to use it? Has anyone managed to use a voucher today?

Randdalf

Portsmouth Cascades one has gone apparently, that one's been around for years, used to be an Electronics Boutique (remember them?).

Sorry if this has already been posted but I have just read that the adminstators are saying that any game vouchers are now worthless & can't be redeemed for any merchandise.

Do you reckon its worth me trying to use it? Has anyone managed to use a voucher today?

From 12pm today points and vouchers are no longer valid. You can put a claim in for you voucher with PwC but you are unlikely to get anything.

From 12pm today points and vouchers are no longer valid. You can put a claim in for you voucher with PwC but you are unlikely to get anything.

QFT. Sorry bud, but it looks like you're stuck. It seriously sucks for the people with points and credit notes; there were two guys in our store today who had around £30 worth of points on cards. I politely told them to spend it sooner rather and later, since we didn't know what was going on. They never spent anything, so I presume they left the store. Now it's closed. :X

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Strange that Southampton is missing from that list, since we have two GAME stores, a GAME floor in our Debenhams and a Gamestation all within 10 minutes walking distance from one another. Then again I haven't been in to Southampton for a while; maybe they buggered off already? (I know yet another GAME store has been gone since last year).

Eastleigh's GAME store is still open. Huh.

Ponti

Princes Street, Cameron Toll, Fort Kinnaird and Ocean Terminal!? Does that mean theres no GAME store at all in Edinburgh now? Those are the only ones I really know of.

Yup. Even the big department stores there struggle to turn a decent profit. I know for fact if John Lewis could roll back the clock they would not have opened a store there.

Yeah the Trafford Centre store rents are insane. That is why you now have fast food joints such as Subway running a second 'restaurant' in the main shopping strip near Debenhams, when originally there were meant to be NO food retailers in that whole area, snack outlets being the exception.

Rents being so high, especially during the current economic climate forced the hand of the management to allow restaurants outside the dedicated food hall/area, just to fill up some of the empty spots.

How Game thought it was sensible to keep on two stores running there is beyond me.
Christ, I still remember the market stall area at one end of the Trafford Centre that sat where John Lewis expanded and set up shop in. Little Games Workshop store in there, geek stores, comic book stores. Nerd heaven.

GJS

According to the list GameStation closed in Brighton but both GAME stores remained open.

There is less than 100 metres between the highstreet store and the shopping centre where the other store is, just under 300 metres if you count walking to the shop inside the shopping centre.

It's gone pal, sorry. I spent all my Xmas vouchers 2 weeks ago when this all started. I posted a few things about it on facebook to warn friends and a few laughed. They're all screwed now. Oops.

Danj

How are they positioned? I'm wondering if they'd be in a similar situation to Oxford, thriving on student footfall.

The GAME is in Lion Yard, the central shopping centre, and the Gamestation is on Fitzroy Street, the street which leads up to the Grafton which is another shopping centre.

Cookie18

It's weird that none of my local stores have closed, about six in total spread across three towns. My home stores or the ones in my Uni town. The staff at them are all great so I wasn't looking forward to seeing which ones lost their jobs, hopefully they can hold out for a bit longer. I'm surprised one of the GameStations hasn't closed since it is next door to Grainger Games.

Good luck to everyone who lost their jobs today. This is a crappy time.

mclem

The GAME is in Lion Yard, the central shopping centre, and the Gamestation is on Fitzroy Street, the street which leads up to the Grafton which is another shopping centre.

Interesting, they're much closer than those in Oxford are (but not closer than they *were* - there used to be a Gamestation in the city centre literally two doors down from Game. The other store is a good few miles away, which I'm hoping might give it a lifeline).

Princes Street, Cameron Toll, Fort Kinnaird and Ocean Terminal!? Does that mean theres no GAME store at all in Edinburgh now? Those are the only ones I really know of.

The only one not on the list is St James centre, which is also the smallest GAME in the city. The Gyle store is not on the list either, but that's a bit out of town.

QFT. Sorry bud, but it looks like you're stuck. It seriously sucks for the people with points and credit notes; there were two guys in our store today who had around £30 worth of points on cards. I politely told them to spend it sooner rather and later, since we didn't know what was going on. They never spent anything, so I presume they left the store. Now it's closed. :X

Yeah, I bought £25 worth of PSN credit a couple of weeks ago with my points (£22), added it to my wallet on the day as well.

Here's an interesting development, I've literally just got a message that a retailer is interested in around 100 of the locations and will approach the administrator before the end of the week to purchase the leases. The retailer is not in gaming and has no interest in gaming, but think that the locations Game are giving up would make for an easy way to expand.

winstano

Lincoln Valentine (Tritton rd) GAME and Gamestation have closed, only the GAME in the Cornhill is left.

Sucks, knew a couple of peeps in the Valentine one, and the manager seemed genuinely nice when I went in the other week. Makes sense to keep the Cornhill open, it's got huge footfall. The irony is that there's a small up & coming games shop under 100m away that's doing really well for itself (admittedly mainly used & retro stuff).

Best of luck to everyone who's affected, with the glaring exception of the higher-ups, who utterly trashed GAME and Gamestation.

Danj

Interesting, they're much closer than those in Oxford are (but not closer than they *were* - there used to be a Gamestation in the city centre literally two doors down from Game. The other store is a good few miles away, which I'm hoping might give it a lifeline).

Yeah it probably only takes about 5-10 minutes to walk between the two stores, but it's not like they're right next to each other. There used to be a GAME two doors down from the Gamestation, but that closed several months ago.

Roxas

Shopto are offering £3 credit on your next order if you send in your GAME card to them (new customers only)

Now i love shopto but that just isnt very nice at all. Especially today.

HammersmithGAF :D

That HMV went a while ago. It's some form of Poundland these days.

Nah, not Hammersmithgaf, I just spent a couple of days working there a few years ago.

btw, has anyone heard about the Ealing Game? That has been there for years (it was originally EB) it would be sad to see it shut down.

mclem

Shopto are offering £3 credit on your next order if you send in your GAME card to them (new customers only)

I have a GAME loyalty card I found on the floor outside the office. No-one ever claimed it. Cha-ching!

According to that MCV list my local Gamestation (Sutton) shut over the GAME on the same high street :/ Not suprised though considering how close it is to CEX. The staff in my local GS were a good bunch so its sad to see them close over the shittier store.

Here's hoping all those affected don't have too much trouble finding new work.

EDIT: Found an article already on the local paper's site: http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/...578.GameStation_on_Sutton_High_Street_closed/

In what way does doing that benefit them? The loyalty points were never worth anything considering how much higher Game's prices were than elsewhere.

In what way does doing that benefit them? The loyalty points were never worth anything considering how much higher Game's prices were than elsewhere.
It's just a more psychologically effective way of attracting new customers than say, offering 10% off the first order. I think they occasionally send me 10% off codes anyway, they can afford it.

Cookie18

It's just a clever way of trying to grab some of Game's customer. They make one order and carry on ordering because ShopTo are typically cheaper with super quick delivery.

s_mirage

If I were to guess I'd say that they're hoping that this will get mentioned in some of the reports of Game's demise, gaining them some free publicity.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Well ShopTo's offer has got people talking... Mission accomplished for them.

P2Nul.jpg

Odd that it's Portsmouth Cascades.

Within 5 minutes walk we currently have 2 Game and a Gamestation.

Portsmouth Cascades closed down last year or so, and that totally made sense. It was Electronic Boutique until the take over, and it's so close to the existing store. Then they opened it again. Now they're closing it again. The lease on the other store must be too long.

acm2000

remember the card cost £3, shopto is basically refunding you out of their own pockets, its a good ploy, and a fair deal

daviyoung

Banned
Odd that it's Portsmouth Cascades.

Within 5 minutes walk we currently have 2 Game and a Gamestation.

Portsmouth Cascades closed down last year or so, and that totally made sense. It was Electronic Boutique until the take over, and it's so close to the existing store. Then they opened it again. Now they're closing it again. The lease on the other store must be too long.
Commercial Road's GAME is the main store, probably a different lease to the Cascade's one. There was also a GAME in Debenhams, Southsea but that closed down a few years ago.

Jamie OD

8c33a4cf.jpg

Picture taken from the Ilac Centre in Dublin an hour ago. Now that the news is sinking in I can't help but feel upset for everyone involved who are going to lose their jobs over this.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oxford Street and Regent Street (Hamley's) branches seem to be alive. But yeah points cannot be redeemed. Just thought I'd ask. Not that there is anything there I want for a fiver. Good thing I already spent the majority on Nintendo points like I wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom