• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(UK) Theresa May to praise Donald Trump: "Britain and US can lead together again"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ittoryu

May will tell Republicans: “The United Kingdom is by instinct and history a great, global nation that recognises its responsibilities to the world. And as we end our membership of the European Union – as the British people voted with determination and quiet resolve to do last year – we have the opportunity to reassert our belief in a confident, sovereign and global Britain, ready to build relationships with old friends and new allies alike.

“So as we rediscover our confidence together – as you renew your nation just as we renew ours – we have the opportunity, indeed the responsibility, to renew the special relationship for this new age. We have the opportunity to lead, together, again.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...cial-relationship_uk_5889207fe4b02af0a3d56da7

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...he-us-we-can-lead-together-again-donald-trump

At this point I am not really sure about anything anymore. It sounds a bit like a desperate bid in order to maintain some sort of relevance in the world scenario after leaving the EU...
And here was me thinking the UK surely would not side with Trump.

Build a wall if old.

DSN2K

We are begging off the wrong country may, US will be failed state under trump, should be getting into bed with China.

SKINNER!

Banned
rupert-murdoch-pensive-data.jpg

"Eeeeeeexcellent"

What, do they want to go back to the days of the British and American Empires where it was a mad dash to influence less-developed countries?

Silly.

LewieP

May is trying to secure the vote from people who think that England having mostly abandoned our history of colonialism is a bad thing.

Edit: But it's a hollow sentiment. Britain's empire days are long behind us, but we're still in the post-empire hangover period of thinking we should have more power than we have.

Nivash

The United Kingdom is by instinct and history a great, global nation that recognises its responsibilities to the world

Oh, yes, the empire was the epitome of responsibility. The rest of the world clearly couldn't take care of itself, so the poor Brits just had to step in. Surely, it was the right thing to do.

Looking forward to my new British overlords, I guess *headdesk*

Dougald

If we thought Blair was America's lapdog, just wait until you see what May is willing to do in a desperate bid to avoid financial ruin!

Auctopus

Kissing Trump's ring. She's got no backbone, hope being PM destroys her career and she goes down as one of the worst in history.

suedester

Banned
It leaves a bad taste in the mouth but May's responsibility is to position the UK in the best position possible. As loathsome as Trump is he is clearly an Anglophile and she has to take advantage of that. Some people won't like it but I don't blame her for it. Got to play the hand you are dealt as well as you can.

Fuck off May, you horrible human being. Remember when you said Gordon Brown had no mandate? Fucking hypocrite.

Do you know what would be better for the UK than trading with the US? Trading with Europe, as we have a tunnel connecting our mainlands. Just sayin'.

Every day brings an onslaught of bad news, usually revolving around fucking Trump and Brexit. Where this madness leads us and/or ends, I have no idea.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
It leaves a bad taste in the mouth but May's responsibility is to position the UK in the best position possible. As loathsome as Trump is he is clearly an Anglophile and she has to take advantage of that. Some people won't like it but I don't blame her for it. Got to play the hand you are dealt as well as you can.
The hand she was dealt with was 'please keep all your money and stature, you can ignore the referendum.' but she didnt want that. She wants to make an image for herself and wants to pave the way for privatization and deregulation.

ittoryu

Let's not forget that Trump has been saying for a while his "America First", so it's not that he is going to give this amazing deal to the UK.

This sounds more and more like desperation in an attempt to keep some sort of relevance.

Kissing Trump's ring. She's got no backbone, hope being PM destroys her career and she goes down as one of the worst in history.

Like Cameron did? Good job we have a strong opposition that can take the Tories out of pow..bwahahahahahahahaha. Kill me.

danowat

Banned
Yeah, I am really not happy about this stance.

Trump is almost becoming tyrannical in his rantings, not only does he want an insular nation that possibly won't be conducive to a lucrative trade deal, he is now saying things like "fight fire with fire", and "torture works, and will be used".

Obviously we'll, as a nation, be implicitly guilty of these kinds of acts by our association with him.

I am also not keen on the rhetoric of "US and UK can again lead the world", it is given a nod to the days of the empire, and just makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

theaface

People who think she's the Iron Lady 2.0 haven't got a clue. She can only talk in empty, pithy soundbites that have no substance, all the while weakly trying to placate the people she believes she's beholden to (e.g. stupid eurosceptic backbenchers, moronic leave voters or the racist, sexist bully Trump.

She loves to paint herself as the moral crusader with the strength of God guiding her hand, but how quickly she looks the other way to real moral injustices when there's a deal with the devil to be done.

AngryMoth

Too optimistic not to expect the shitheads in our government to not cozy up with that lunatic I guess.

Felt genuinely disgusted reading this this morning

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Trump is almost becoming tyrannical in his rantings, not only does he want an insular nation that possibly won't be conducive to a lucrative trade deal, he is now saying things like "fight fire with fire", and "torture works, and will be used".

Obviously we'll, as a nation, be implicitly guilty of these kinds of acts by our association with him.

I am also not keen on the rhetoric of "US and UK can again lead the world", it is given a nod to the days of the empire, and just makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

dan-harmon-adanharmon-if-i-remember-history-correctly-we-are-2978868.png

Mr.Mike

Now add to that Trump's continued insistence that they "just take the oil".

UberTag

People who think she's the Iron Lady 2.0 haven't got a clue. She can only talk in empty, pithy soundbites that have no substance, all the while weakly trying to placate the people she believes she's beholden to (e.g. stupid eurosceptic backbenchers, moronic leave voters or the racist, sexist bully Trump.

She loves to paint herself as the moral crusader with the strength of God guiding her hand, but how quickly she looks the other way to real moral injustices when there's a deal with the devil to be done.
Sounds like she'll hit it off with Kellyanne Conway, at least.

The hand she's been dealt means sweet fuck all when she keeps putting the cards she doesn't like back in the pack and replacing them with ones which better suit her ambitions. None of this charade has been necessary or had the least bit to do with 'what the people want'.

Dehnus

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...cial-relationship_uk_5889207fe4b02af0a3d56da7

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...he-us-we-can-lead-together-again-donald-trump

At this point I am not really sure about anything anymore. It sounds a bit like a desperate bid in order to maintain some sort of relevance in the world scenario after leaving the EU...
And here was me thinking the UK surely would not side with Trump.

Build a wall if old.
Soooo...tell me again if I was German or French? WHy I would want to work together with those limies? Sure it is exactly what that Russian Bearded nutter wants, drive the UK into US arms... buuut...

Everything is rigged to fuck over my export and jobs while I have China close by willing to buy my goods for good prices? (THeir ships are going back empty, so I'm sure we can fill them up with something ;).). We can get our payment in the US bonds China has so many off :D.

All the while the UK will be dumped in US products that are highly subsidized while not having the industry to compete due to size?

Time for Germans to Learn French and French to Learn German I'd say. :p.

And to think of the expended effort to sow illegitimacy and inadequacy to Trump's place in power, he's about get a bone thrown at him.

danowat

Banned
All along we were worried about becoming Little Britain when in actuality we're turning into Little Trumpland.

Good job we're renewing trident, we'll just end up painting a larger target on our backs.

Out of the frying pan, into the (fight fire with) fire.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You're better than that UK friends. You left Europe, but never forget, you're better than that.

NHale

But I thought they wanted to be free from other countries. Why wanting to be Trump best buddies? It should be only Britain First, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom