• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Solune

Probably Hawkeye is your best bet.

Also Hulk with manly anti-Helm Breaker punch:

http://youtu.be/y8iSxQG45-k?t=9s
I love Vergil but watching Helm Breaker get blown up always puts a smile on my face.
This is a good starting point to a topic I should have brought up months ago, what is that one normal you get salty as fuck getting hit with?

Right now, it's either this, Wolverine's c.L, or Hawkeye's j.H. I've almost reached zen in this game with regards to getting hit, but these moves man... I still can't get all of the rage out.

Edit: Oh fuck, forgot about online Ryus and j.L/c.L.

Magneto Ls. just Fuck Magneto.

Edit: The old man has tons of swag but still, just fuck it.

Dahbomb

I though you'd be guaranteed lvl5 Frank since you could take a second picture using Nova's ground bounce assist. Am I misinformed?
You can extend to LVL5 with Dante Jam Session too. To me lvl4 and lvl5 are the same in terms of effectiveness so your set up just needs to get him at 4, anything else is gravy.

Wolverine's st.L is pretty stupid. Hidden buff going from Vanilla to Ultimate.

Frantic

I don't know but I only started noticing how good it was in UMVC3.
If it got buffed, I want to punch whoever decided to do that.

One weird thing I noticed about vanilla Marvel when I popped it in not too long ago was that characters had hitboxes in their legs when they jumped. I couldn't airdash over standing characters with Dante like I can in Ultimate. Wonder why they changed it.

GGs earlier Batman. I think you would have done better if you just stuck with a team and tried to learn from your mistakes and adapt to the matchup instead of changing teams every two rounds.

I just got back from playing at my first local - 6 hours of straight Marvel and my first time ever playing offline. I might have to retire from online play after that, it was just so much better and more fun when the game did what I wanted it to do all the time.

GGs earlier Batman. I think you would have done better if you just stuck with a team and tried to learn from your mistakes and adapt to the matchup instead of changing teams every two rounds.

Oh, you're obviously better than me even if I stuck with a team and tried to adapt. I haven't picked my favorite team yet. I drop too many Combos too. I like Nova a lot, got you in a combo a few times, but dropped it before I could even level Frank.

Your Hulk makes things very difficult online. Also I've never had such a problem against Phoenix Wright's Maya shield. Wondering what I can do to counter that.

I just got back from playing at my first local - 6 hours of straight Marvel and my first time ever playing offline. I might have to retire from online play after that, it was just so much better and more fun when the game did what I wanted it to do all the time.

You are free now then! Although in a different meaning of the word. xD

Beats

Damn, that's crazy lol. Yeah, the game's just not the same online and even when the connection is "good" it still feels off.

LakeEarth

I though you'd be guaranteed lvl5 Frank since you could take a second picture using Nova's ground bounce assist. Am I misinformed?

You can, but in a Nova/Frank team, chances are you've used Frank's assist to get Nova in. When you DHC in Frank, Nova goes into Frank's slot and thus you can't use his assist cause it is been used.

I'm thinking of switching my Nova/Frank/Dorm team to Nova/Frank/Dante, but I don't play the game enough anymore to switch out my anchor.

onionfrog

Your Hulk makes things very difficult online. Also I've never had such a problem against Phoenix Wright's Maya shield. Wondering what I can do to counter that.
Some tips for playing against Slasher:
1. You normal sort of rushdown isn't going to work too well against him. You'll just try to hit him through maya shield and get combo'd (Probably to death with Gamma Crish DHC)
2. Having a command grab helps immensely, the you can grab wright right through maya shield.
3. Having a powerful beam assist like Doom's plasma beam or Ironman's Unibeam + your point characters zoning will destroy maya shield very quickly.
4. Play against Slasher more to get used to the matchup. The first time I played him, he beat me 15-0. Now when we play I can usually get at least a few wins.
5. You may want to burn XF against his PW, partly because its his best character, and partly because you're unfamiliar with the matchup. Personally I find that Hulk and Wesker are much easier to deal with.

Azure J

So after 3 weeks of on and off footage capture and re-capture, I have a small Tips & Tricks video for my team/the individual characters on the team. Surprisingly, this video is very Viper specific. It's probably because I'm finally getting the hang of both her execution and what the team is truly about. I'm convinced that the team is a "trap" based team now in a vein similar to Morrigan/Doom but with a different objective. Instead of completely wearing someone down in the neutral, Viper wants to move you into the corner, get a slick Jam Session call in and go nuts with Burn Kick Feint mixups or tick throw setups while you're pinned down. There's also Strider assist to knock some sense into someone trying to evade the minefield.

Offline is always best there is no doubt about that, but online will always have it's place too. Online is still good experience. Plus there are just times when you want to play against another person and there isn't any at the moment in real life so online will always be needed in that regard. So how did you do in your locals Karst?

Oh, you're obviously better than me even if I stuck with a team and tried to adapt. I haven't picked my favorite team yet. I drop too many Combos too. I like Nova a lot, got you in a combo a few times, but dropped it before I could even level Frank.

You are free now then! Although in a different meaning of the word. xD

You played better than I thought you would considering how much you said you suck. You knew how to do stuff. Maybe if your teams were more focused you would have better results. I'm really only good with my main team because I use them all the time. Other characters I do horribly with. Just keep practicing.

I did learn that Hulk can't do jack shit against Nova shield plus energy javelin.

Offline is always best there is no doubt about that, but online will always have it's place too. Online is still good experience. Plus there are just times when you want to play against another person and there isn't any at the moment in real life so online will always be needed in that regard. So how did you do in your locals Karst?
Online has been an extremely good experience, but with a character like Morrigan, I can't even play her offline after playing online. I dropped every single Morrigan bnb I attempted last night, and I played about 200 matches. That's a lot of drops. I also completed my Dormammu Dark Hole bnb (j.S, jH, fly, j.LH, Dark Hole, j.HS) a total of once. That's how off my inputs were. It won't be good if my muscles have to re-learn my combos every time I play.

That being said, my movement was the most pristine it has ever been. My Dormammu tridashing was all over the screen, confirming for me that my wonky air dashes that get him killed aren't my fault when I'm playing on the PS3.

That all being said, I did very well in the matches. I went 44-8 against a variety of people within my first hour. There were some very good players there, and everyone but one guy in a fedora was very friendly (but that's just par for the course for people who wear fedoras indoors). I ended up playing some Ghost Rider mirrors and went 15-0, and some point Phoenix mirrors. Despite not having used Ghost Rider in a few months, it was my best Ghost Rider play ever.

They started a tournament at midnight because they go until 3AM, but I didn't want to stay too late. Wife at home, etc. It was only $5 for the entire, and there were a lot of console setups. They had BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, Tekken, SSFIVAE, and Marvel. Duckator, the guy who won 1st in Skullgirls at Evo 2012, was there.

Oh yeah, and my blocking was incredible. I've always considered myself good at blocking because Dormammu gets beat up on all the time, and playing in an offline environment really proved it to me. I blocked so many things that kill me online it was incredible. High/low mix-ups that felt like unblockables online were pushblocked with ease.

Azure J

That settles it, I'm going to some Next Level/Next Level Battle Circuits and grinding now. Karst's impressions have me itching for some offline play.

JeTmAn81

Online has been an extremely good experience, but with a character like Morrigan, I can't even play her offline after playing online. I dropped every single Morrigan bnb I attempted last night, and I played about 200 matches. That's a lot of drops. I also completed my Dormammu Dark Hole bnb (j.S, jH, fly, j.LH, Dark Hole, j.HS) a total of once. That's how off my inputs were. It won't be good if my muscles have to re-learn my combos every time I play.

That being said, my movement was the most pristine it has ever been. My Dormammu tridashing was all over the screen, confirming for me that my wonky air dashes that get him killed aren't my fault when I'm playing on the PS3.

That all being said, I did very well in the matches. I went 44-8 against a variety of people within my first hour. There were some very good players there, and everyone but one guy in a fedora was very friendly (but that's just par for the course for people who wear fedoras indoors). I ended up playing some Ghost Rider mirrors and went 15-0, and some point Phoenix mirrors. Despite not having used Ghost Rider in a few months, it was my best Ghost Rider play ever.

They started a tournament at midnight because they go until 3AM, but I didn't want to stay too late. Wife at home, etc. It was only $5 for the entire, and there were a lot of console setups. They had BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, Tekken, SSFIVAE, and Marvel. Duckator, the guy who won 1st in Skullgirls at Evo 2012, was there.

Oh yeah, and my blocking was incredible. I've always considered myself good at blocking because Dormammu gets beat up on all the time, and playing in an offline environment really proved it to me. I blocked so many things that kill me online it was incredible. High/low mix-ups that felt like unblockables online were pushblocked with ease.

Haha

Azure J

Launcher into j.S into teleport Rainstorm is my favorite thing to do.

I lol'd at the Air Plays, though.

Which reminds me now that you're here, holy fuck, why does Rain Storm combo after Air Play in a regular series in XF2/3? That's some legitimate TrueStyle Tournament shit. :lol

Thoughts on my video btw?

There were some very good players there, and everyone but one guy in a fedora was very friendly (but that's just par for the course for people who wear fedoras indoors).

Should have asked him for his GAF handle.

But really, you should register as GAF|Karst. I could see you breaking the stream chat if you took out a notable player on stream.

You know what I'm talking about! He had a decent Rocket Raccoon, though. He was a good player, probably tied with another guy for the best there that I played.

Should have asked him for his GAF handle.

But really, you should register as GAF|Karst. I could see you breaking the stream chat if you took out a notable player on stream.
Hahaha.

Well if I lose, it will be "LOL GAF" forever. I already have enough pressure with playing at a tournament for my first time without having GAF love/hate riding on the matches too!

Plus, who knows what my bracket will be like. I could fight FChamp or something my first round and get blown up hard.

/excuses and fear

Also, I am muuuch less saltier in person than online. I didn't get salty once out of all my matches, and I blew two by doing Morrigan's level 3 during random Soul Fist throwing (I HATE THAT), DHCed into Dormammu's level 3 instead of Chaotic Flame (GODDAMN INPUT READING), and Teleport L'ed with Dark Phoenix instead of laying a TK Trap right into a RR trap hyper (GODDAMN INPUT READING). I just kept laughing harder and harder. Every time I got hit I laughed, I think. It's just too funny when I mess up for some reason. But when lag kills me...RAAAAAAGE!

Frantic

Which reminds me now that you're here, holy fuck, why does Rain Storm combo after Air Play in a regular series in any level of X Factor? That's some legitimate TrueStyle Tournament shit. :lol
I think you can combo into it out of X-Factor, too. It's been a while, but I think it's possible. But it's swag and damaging in X-Factor.

I almost wish Rainstorm in this game descended like it does in DMC. I can imagine some dirty stuff if it did.

Thoughts on my video btw?
I like the Viper FADC Seismo stuff. I still don't know how you manage to do that sort of stuff, lol. My thumbs are too clumsy.

I really wish I could make my Reverb Shock > Fireworks consistent. :(

Azure J

I almost wish Rainstorm in this game descended like it does in DMC. I can imagine some dirty stuff if it did.

Dante would have the best air throw game free in that case. Goddamn. :lol

I like the Viper FADC Seismo stuff. I still don't know how you manage to do that sort of stuff, lol. My thumbs are too clumsy.

I really wish I could make my Reverb Shock > Fireworks consistent. :(

It took a while to get, but once I did, it felt amazing. The issue is starting that chain requires a lot of space or a good read on your opponent's position so they don't derp button their way and plow through the progress.

Reverb - Fireworks is pretty much listening and putting in H before you hear the B in Blink from English (only) Dante's VA. It takes about 4 tries to get but when you time it for one press, you start to kinda develop a memory for it.

Edit: Browsing SRK (I know, lol) to put my video up in the related character threads was just what I needed to do today. Looks like I've got a project for when I get home. All these Strider combos and setups man...

Combo video by Sonic721 - He made me realize that I don't have Bird Bomb combos
Devil May Stride stuff by Ryoze
Devil May Stride - Corner Setup

I totally agree with you Karst about offline play versus online. When I joined SCR, my experience was pretty much 99% online, ps3 and on a big screen T.V. At SCR, I had to play on an xbox and on one of those outstanding lagless Asus monitors. I ended up going into my matches cold turkey because there were no marvel casual stations set up prior. I felt like I was playing a completely different marvel game as my timing was completely off. I couldn't finish ANY of my bnb's (I used Nova and Sentinel for crying out loud). I took to some casuals afterwards when they finally set them up and still had a lot of trouble getting it going. My movement and play was still pretty good but doing actual combos was really frustrating.

Frantic

Nothing but fierces and specials, and Strider still can't crack 700K after Legion. Poor guy.
Legion sucks. Ranges from like 80-120k depending on the size of a character and which formation you get. If Legion did Fatal Claw levels of damage, that combo would do like 800k.

Does anyone know why sometimes Nova's javelin won't disappear when he is hit. It happens rarely. I'm wondering if it doesn't disappear once it starts its downward trajectory or something?

Some tips for playing against Slasher:
1. You normal sort of rushdown isn't going to work too well against him. You'll just try to hit him through maya shield and get combo'd (Probably to death with Gamma Crish DHC)
2. Having a command grab helps immensely, the you can grab wright right through maya shield.
3. Having a powerful beam assist like Doom's plasma beam or Ironman's Unibeam + your point characters zoning will destroy maya shield very quickly.
4. Play against Slasher more to get used to the matchup. The first time I played him, he beat me 15-0. Now when we play I can usually get at least a few wins.
5. You may want to burn XF against his PW, partly because its his best character, and partly because you're unfamiliar with the matchup. Personally I find that Hulk and Wesker are much easier to deal with.

Thanks for the tips. He beat me 9-1 so I was happy about one win (luck, mind you. lol)

I'd be happy to play you sometime as well

You played better than I thought you would considering how much you said you suck. You knew how to do stuff. Maybe if your teams were more focused you would have better results. I'm really only good with my main team because I use them all the time. Other characters I do horribly with. Just keep practicing.

I did learn that Hulk can't do jack shit against Nova shield plus energy javelin.

Thanks! There are, of course, varying levels of suck. lol I play on a Dualshock Controller, so I would seem to be at a disadvantage, still looking to get a nice stick.

Also, Slasher, would you mind if I gave a local friend of mine your PSN name? He would like to play you. He is better than me, and he loves a good Phoenix Wright as well.

Frantic

This should be the way Strider players call out to other Strider players. Just like how Dante is ass and Viper has no buttons. :lol
But everyone knows Legion sucks! :p

It wouldn't take much tweaking to make Legion not suck. Let each animal have 1 high durability points each, change the damage of each animal from 25k to 50k(or change the minimal scaling of his hypers from 30% to 50%) and bam. You've got a super that doesn't suck. Change the formation to a constant one and you've actually got a pretty good super.

But everyone knows Legion sucks! :p

It wouldn't take much tweaking to make Legion not suck. Let each animal have 1 high durability points each, change the damage of each animal from 25k to 50k(or change the minimal scaling of his hypers from 30% to 50%) and bam. You've got a super that doesn't suck. Change the formation to a constant one and you've actually got a pretty good super.
I would like these changes. Strider is the only character who ends combos against me when I'm at ~10% health and I'm not sure if I'll survive.

I want Nova/Frank/Dante to enter the meta game. I hope Bee picks it up to show the world how ridiculous the team is. Any hit or throw of Nova into a LVL4 Frank. Good luck trying to block Jam Session mix ups and unlockables with Nova.

hey, that's my team! been playing it for about a year

Frantic

I would like these changes. Strider is the only character who ends combos against me when I'm at ~10% health and I'm not sure if I'll survive.
No joke, when I see someone with 5% health, I sometimes worry Legion won't kill. Against someone like Haggar, it probably won't. >_>

If I'm playing him point, though, I almost never use Legion outside of a DHC. I want them for Orbs/Ragnarok, and there's not a whole lot of point in using it when I'm pretty much strictly resetting anyways.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dahbomb, I'm trying to remember. Where do you live exactly? Was it New Orleans? Or was that somebody else?

I was going to suggest meeting up in Pensacola for one of their Marvel tournaments when they start holding them again, if that isn't too much of a drive.

Frantic

I've faced the 300% from Firebrand before. It was Firebrand/Iron-Man/Sent, and after the first time's novelty wears off, it's just... boring. Don't know why people don't run Firebrand/Iron-Man instead of Firebrand/Skrull. Much better assist, and out of like 100 attempts, I only escaped that shit once through X-Factoring.

It does make fighting Firebrand more intense in the neutral, though.

Top Bottom