• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Laconic

Banned
Funny that I was thinking the exact same thing today.

I really hate what they've done with Elena. Think I might go back to 3S and wait till the PC version hits in August. Hopefully a patch will be up by then as well.

Do not think for one instant that I enjoy having been right in this instance.

That grappler match was a lot of fun BV. I was so free with the green hand into spd thing. Not sure if you're planning to invest more time into Cody or were just messing around but his crouching mk goes under Gouken's fireball very easily. No need to take risks by focusing or jumping.
Been messing around with him for a little while, doubt I'll take him serious but its good to know. Ggs, dem spds doe

Onemic

• Zonk never comes out.
  • Punishing things seems so trivial, cr.lk is 3 frames but can't even punish some sweeps
  • I lose out to simple shit, ranging from Gouken fireball into demon flips, spammy Sagats and Ken's who say fuck your combo and just SRK in the middle of them.
  • I literally get irate that when I do focus and use my mind I usually always lose, but when I quit doing that, jumping around doing random shit I always seem to win my matches.
  • Every character for the most part has strings that leave them complete safe (Rose, Yun)

Wait for Ultra on PC. Join SF PC gaf in glorious(hopefully) lag free harmony

Do not think for one instant that I enjoy having been right in this instance.

You probably cracked a smile :p

Marz

Hey Onemic, I know you were interested in Oni.

He can FADC the second hit of all Shoryukens and confirm into both ultras.

He can also go into ex DP or tatsu if you just need that little bit for the kill. Also medium ground pound.

FADC ultra 1 does about 400 damage.

Robot Pants

He can also go into ex DP or tatsu if you just need that little bit for the kill. Also medium ground pound.

Such a ridiculous buff. He should have never been able to FADC his SRK.

He can FADC the second hit of Fierce Shoryuken and confirm into both ultras.

He can also go into ex DP or tatsu if you just need that little bit for the kill.

He can only FADC the 1st hit on block, and if he does that he gets no follow up because the first hit doesn't pop up his opponents high enough to do anything. I think if Oni players want to save meter for Ultra they should save meter for red focus instead.

He's one of the few characters that makes excellent use of red focus because his LK slash is -2 on block so he can safely fish for it by canceling it from B+MP or far MP. Far MP, LK slash, RFC, full Ultra 2 gets you 500+ damage.

I guess the problem with that is that he's kind of meter dependent to do damage in a similar way to Evil Ryu. But Evil Ryu has a better fireball game to zone and his cr. MK has more reach and hits low so he's not as dependent on getting in at a very close range like Oni is.

Onemic

Oh I tohught they removed that? Anyway, my time with Oni is over. He's literally a poor mans version of Evil Ryu.

He can only FADC the 1st hit on block, and if he does that he gets no follow up because the first hit doesn't pop up his opponents high enough to do anything. I think if Oni players want to save meter for Ultra they should save meter for red focus instead.

He's one of the few characters that makes excellent use of red focus because his LK slash is -2 on block so he can safely fish for it by canceling it from B+MP or far MP. Far MP, LK slash, RFC, full Ultra 2 gets you 500+ damage.

I guess the problem with that is that he's kind of meter dependent to do damage in a similar way to Evil Ryu. But Evil Ryu has a better fireball game to zone and his cr. MK has more reach and hits low so he's not as dependent on getting in at a very close range like Oni is.

E.Ryu also is much more meter efficient and does way more damage than Oni. meterless the dude can do 300+ dmg. And it doesn't matter if they're crouching or not. Oni on the other hand can only convert into 300+ dmg if the opponent is standing and you have 2 meters to FADC.

Marz

Well of course you shouldn't be using DP like that with Oni.

But this means that he gets Ultras off anti air DPs (outside of the corner)?. Which is the main reason I mentioned it.

Onemic

You know what. Fuck what I said. Low tier hero till I die.

Been practicing Sanford double/triple back strong combo with oni and it seems like it's only for style purposes, which boggles my mind since he was doing it at A league. It does less damage and builds just as much meter than just doing the regular single back strong version.

YoungHav

Banned
Is there any way to revert back to the original SSF4 music for the title screen and character selects? I hate the new songs and don't see why these jackhats changed the music. Title screen music is now a cheap knockoff of Eurodance Technozeit.

Marz

Been practicing Sanford double/triple back strong combo with oni and it seems like it's only for style purposes, which boggles my mind since he was doing it at A league. It does less damage and builds just as much meter than just doing the regular single back strong version.

Does it do more stun?

tzhu07

Banned
I main Seth, and it saddens me that he got nerfed so badly. He already had the lowest health and could be stunned easily. WTF that's a bad enough nerf already.

Onemic

Does it do more stun?

Nope, it actually does less stun lol.

The only real application I can see it being beneficial is using it after a successful low forward/st. strong xx fireball FADC combo. In that case it does about 20 more dmg and a bit more stun, but applying it to any of his standard FADC combos just results in a worse combo.

And scratch what I said before, It actually builds less meter too.

Uraizen

Banned
Nope, it actually does less stun lol.

The only real application I can see it being beneficial is using it after a successful low forward/st. strong xx fireball FADC combo. In that case it does about 20 more dmg and a bit more stun, but applying it to any of his standard FADC combos just results in a worse combo.

And scratch what I said before, It actually builds less meter too.

More consistency with wonky hitboxes?

Izuna

Banned
yeah california to europe is not happening

Last time we played I was very e-peen chasing, but I remember how god awful the connection was. We had already decided not to play each other again 😃 either way I know offline you would definitely kick my butt

Well, finally managed to put some time into Ultra.

Elena is not happening. =(

I wanted to like her but i just can't get a handle on how i'm supposed to play her. I get lit up by zoners, by people rushing down, by folks doing whatever the hell they want. Conversely i've had fun and a modicum of success with Decapre online, who i expected to dislike due to being a charge character. I just don't know anymore lol

You know he could FADC the SRK on the second hit in SSFIVAE, right? It's just the FADC on block that's new, and the nerfs weren't worth it.

I need to congregate with other Oni players to further my skills, because I rarely get to see Oni on streams. Sanford also plays a highly grounded Oni, while I jump in constantly and bait SRKs with the air dash. I saw Infiltration play Oni once, and I thought "That's how I play Oni!" I just wish I had more than the one video to go off of.

Anyway, what is your typical hit confirm Onemic? I used to just do jumping MK/HK depending on spacing, and then f.LP, f.MP for easy confirms. Now, against Decapre, Target Combo 1 whiffs sometimes (argh). I've noticed Sanford doing c.LP, b.MP, but I'm curious about what you use.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I need to congregate with other Oni players to further my skills, because I rarely get to see Oni on streams. Sanford also plays a highly grounded Oni, while I jump in constantly and bait SRKs with the air dash. I saw Infiltration play Oni once, and I thought "That's how I play Oni!" I just wish I had more than the one video to go off of.

Watch videos of UK player OMH, he's a beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNi-hBx2QZ0

Connex

Neo Member
Has anyone spent time exploring Elena? I''m trying to sub her, but I'm not really understanding what Capcom is trying to do with her. Footsie high/low based character? Her range is good, but most of her specials whiff on the second hits or are ridiculously unsafe... any ideas, guys?

xCobalt

What's the point of baiting srks with the air dash? I've seen Infiltration do it but I don't think you can actually punish them.

Watch videos of UK player OMH, he's a beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNi-hBx2QZ0
Thank you, but I am more interested in neutral game stuff. I've seen lots of Oni combo videos.

Also, dubstep Michael Jackson hurts deep.

What's the point of baiting srks with the air dash? I've seen Infiltration do it but I don't think you can actually punish them.
I've never punished the SRK, and I don't think you can either. But it makes people not anti-air, which means free jump ins. It also wins most air exchanges for a little damage, so that's good.

Marz

I've seen some punishes with the forward fierce, seems spacing dependent and very tight though.

Probably can punish some fierce shoryukens?

I've never punished the SRK, and I don't think you can either. But it makes people not anti-air, which means free jump ins. It also wins most air exchanges for a little damage, so that's good.

Can't people full screen ultra that? Pretty sure Sagat can Tiger Cannon that and Tiger Cannon isn't close to as fast as Cammy or Chun ultras

xCobalt

Why does it make people not antiair if you don't really punish them for attempting to?

I've seen some punishes with the forward fierce, seems spacing dependent and very tight though.

Probably can punish some fierce shoryukens?

If you manage to hit forward fierce, it'd be a pretty big punish with a red focus cancel. Might be tough to hit confirm though.

Yesterday I committed my first rage quit in my whole entire Street fighter 4 career. The salt was real losing to the worst Decapre doing whatever they wanted with no thought thanks to psn lag.

OceanBlue

I wish playing online on USF4 wasn't bad, because I really need to learn how to play this game correctly against different types of people. I get too antsy and do too many reactive jump-ins against shotos instead of trying to figure out when people throw fireballs. Also it's really easy to outlame me with any type of character because I'm bad about throwing out normals just outside of max range, so people get me all of the time by just walking back until I get to a certain range and then pressing a button preemptively. :(

Izuna

Banned
Why does it make people not antiair if you don't really punish them for attempting to?

Every played against Guile or a really good Shoto? You can punish their fireballs but you have to jump as a guess, you can't do it by reaction. Imagine if you had multiple tries...

Onemic

You know he could FADC the SRK on the second hit in SSFIVAE, right? It's just the FADC on block that's new, and the nerfs weren't worth it.

Anyway, what is your typical hit confirm Onemic? I used to just do jumping MK/HK depending on spacing, and then f.LP, f.MP for easy confirms. Now, against Decapre, Target Combo 1 whiffs sometimes (argh). I've noticed Sanford doing c.LP, b.MP, but I'm curious about what you use.

Oni is meant to be grounded like 100% of the time. His jump is a little floaty so it makes it easier for people to AA you. Plus most of his tools aside from his air dash are on the ground. Most of my confirms come from c.Lp, c.LP, b.MP. So pretty much like Sanford. The reason is that it leads to all of his options. If you get a hit you can confirm it into either his crouching or standing combo, if it's blocked you can go for a slight walk up kara throw, frame trap(which should catch a lot of people online due to the duration of his b.MP), or a mixup with either MP or HP demon slash.

Also, like you said the primary use of his air dash is to catch people trying to DP you.(and for air tatsu crossups) You should mainly be using it to fish for super as you can punish their DP with it.(Mainly shoto fierce DP) His raging demon can be done in the air, so if you do a reverse air dash, see the DP, and input his raging demon fast enough it will punish their DP attempt for almost 400dmg. Infiltration used it a lot vs shotos.

Izuna

Banned
I lucked out and beat Smug. Only took 20 fucking matches, damn. Turns out he can't block the Vortex now that I can adjust to DWU.

This used to be Ibuki's best match-up, not I think she only has a slight advantage. She can do double loops which is cool now, but damn you cannot use cr.MP xx Neckbreaker in this match-up anymore. Smug just whiffed an easy to hit normal and traded to bait the Neckbreaker, nothing else is worth using from Ibuki.

Marz

You know he could FADC the SRK on the second hit in SSFIVAE, right? It's just the FADC on block that's new, and the nerfs weren't worth it

Yea.

If you do a deep DP on jump ins, you aren't going to be losing to much. EX probably still godlike as well.

FADC for a desperate escape is just another tool Oni has in his bag.

Oni is meant to be grounded like 100% of the time. His jump is a little floaty so it makes it easier for people to AA you. Plus most of his tools aside from his air dash are on the ground. Most of my confirms come from c.Lp, c.LP, b.MP. So pretty much like Sanford. The reason is that it leads to all of his options. If you get a hit you can confirm it into either his crouching or standing combo, if it's blocked you can go for a slight walk up kara throw, frame trap(which should catch a lot of people online due to the duration of his b.MP), or a mixup with either MP or HP demon slash.

Also, like you said the primary use of his air dash is to catch people trying to DP you.(and for air tatsu crossups) You should mainly be using it to fish for super as you can punish their DP with it.(Mainly shoto fierce DP) His raging demon can be done in the air, so if you do a reverse air dash, see the DP, and input his raging demon fast enough it will punish their DP attempt for almost 400dmg. Infiltration used it a lot vs shotos.

I forgot about air demon lol that shit is hype as fuck.

Chris Hu got an air demon off on Mike Ross at Evo last year.

vg260

Is there any way to revert back to the original SSF4 music for the title screen and character selects? I hate the new songs and don't see why these jackhats changed the music. Title screen music is now a cheap knockoff of Eurodance Technozeit.

Nope. I dislike the music changes as well. They should have left it alone. you don't mess with the character select music unless the whole screen design actually changes (like vanilla to Super). At worst a toggle option would have been nice.

I'm fairly confident it should be do-able on the PC version when it comes out.

Started to play on Xbox again. Yeah, I'm definitely not feeling as godlike as I do on PS3. Played for probably 3 hours last night and my win percentage was probably a little over 50 at best. Lost to a lot of stuff, solid stuff, dumb shit, and unfamiliarity. It wasn't as laggy as PSN but I had something like a 80+ win percentage on PSN though. PSN makes me feel better, but gotta stick with Xbox version if I want decent comp.

Besides that I watched a ton of Evil Ryu last night. On FGTV both XSK Samurai and PR Balrog was on stream using him, Samurai was on a lot more though. Then early in the morning their was a stream with Machabo(#2 Evil Ryu in arcades) against Nemo's Rolento. Didn't really learn much from them though. They don't really use the new buffs and are just playing him like the way he was played before minus the corner set ups. It seems like I'm the only Evil Ryu player who likes going for tatsu > sweep.

Izuna

Banned
Started to play on Xbox again. Yeah, I'm definitely not feeling as godlike as I do on PS3. Played for probably 3 hours last night and my win percentage was probably a little over 50 at best. Lost to a lot of stuff, solid stuff, dumb shit, and unfamiliarity. It wasn't as laggy as PSN but I had something like a 80+ win percentage on PSN though. PSN makes me feel better, but gotta stick with Xbox version if I want decent comp.

Besides that I watched a ton of Evil Ryu last night. On FGTV both XSK Samurai and PR Balrog was on stream using him, Samurai was on a lot more though. Then early in the morning their was a stream with Machabo(#2 Evil Ryu in arcades) against Nemo's Rolento. Didn't really learn much from them though. They don't really use the new buffs and are just playing him like the way he was played before minus the corner set ups. It seems like I'm the only Evil Ryu player who likes going for tatsu > sweep.

Would you like to Endless? We might have a 3-bar connection though

Would you like to Endless? We might have a 3-bar connection though

I won't be available until later tonight. But that will be in the early morning for you(you're UK right?) so I don' t know if that's a good time for you. But if you can I don't mind running some sets. I use to play Europeans all the time back in Vanilla, it was laggy but a lot of my matches were playbable from what I remember. RIP McVlad, where ever you are.

Izuna

Banned
I won't be available until later tonight. But that will be in the early morning for you(you're UK right?) so I don' t know if that's a good time for you. But if you can I don't mind running some sets. I use to play Europeans all the time back in Vanilla, it was laggy but a lot of my matches were playbable from what I remember. RIP McVlad, where ever you are.

I believe we might have played once before. Regardless, add Perfect Izuna and send an invite if you ever see me on. =)

I haven't come across many good Evil Ryu players yet in my online adventures, just OP Rose. =/

Rose is hard for Ibuki? I figure she would be a easy match up considering how Ibuki can react to fireballs and Rose is free'er on wake up than she was before.

As for me, I wouldn't consider myself a "good" Evil Ryu, about average at best. Throw in the Ibuki/Evil Ryu match up and I imagine I'm going to get bodied a lot. If we play, don't be surprised to see me use Yun. He's my back up for characters like Ibuki, Viper, and Rose. Although I keep wanting to play the Rose/Evil Ryu match up even though I keep getting bodied in that match.

xCobalt

We should play later tonight on XBL. Never had a chance to play against you and I definitely need some E.Ryu experience. What's your gt?

jlai

Rose is hard for Ibuki? I figure she would be a easy match up considering how Ibuki can react to fireballs and Rose is free'er on wake up than she was before.

As for me, I wouldn't consider myself a "good" Evil Ryu, about average at best. Throw in the Ibuki/Evil Ryu match up and I imagine I'm going to get bodied a lot. If we play, don't be surprised to see me use Yun. He's my back up for characters like Ibuki, Viper, and Rose. Although I keep wanting to play the Rose/Evil Ryu match up even though I keep getting bodied in that match.

I can play you with Rose sometime. I used to use her a bunch in Super before I went full Mak

We should play later tonight on XBL. Never had a chance to play against you and I definitely need some E.Ryu experience. What's your gt?

It's RiceEater483. And same here, their are some of you guys I haven't played yet or in a while and wanted some matches against.

I can play you with Rose sometime. I used to use her a bunch in Super before I went full Mak

You used her 2 or 3 times in our last long set before USF4 came out. It didn't go well for me, almost no match went well for me that night though to be honest. But because she's a fireball and footsie character unlike Viper or Ibuki, I keep wanting to use Evil Ryu to practice my own footsie and fireball game. But then I end up getting too frustrated and get drilled to death.

Izuna

Banned
Honestly in Super and AE Rose vs. Ibuki is on paper a 5-5, but Ibuki simply dies too fast and Rose has no need to ever use meter to escape any mixups so she gets a super almost every match. Personally this match up is really hard for me, it's probably my worst ratio next to "especially" laggy Blanka. But Blanka is hard for a different reason now because he is exceptional when it comes to the Vortex -- less follow up damage and he requires Ibuki to have extremely specific setups to avoid being EX Upballed.

If we get this lobby going I don't mind skipping turns whenever it is someone with a poor connection.

Just let me know :)

If you send a message on XBL even if I am offline I can still read it on my phone.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'll get on Live when I'm not lazy. Pretty sure UltraDavid is dying to play with me and some moron from Canada.

El Sloth

Banned
It's RiceEater483. And same here, their are some of you guys I haven't played yet or in a while and wanted some matches against.

You used her 2 or 3 times in our last long set before USF4 came out. It didn't go well for me, almost no match went well for me that night though to be honest. But because she's a fireball and footsie character unlike Viper or Ibuki, I keep wanting to use Evil Ryu to practice my own footsie and fireball game. But then I end up getting too frustrated and get drilled to death.
You can practice on my inferior Rose on PSN before moving up to jlai if you like.

hitsugi

How do you deal with using E.Ryu online? Do you modify your combos at all?

Stuff like c.mp, s.hp -> axe kick, c.lp, s.mp -> axe kick, FADC or really any of his combos that go beyond 1 axe kick get me grabbed, random DP'ed or worse. I hate having to tone things down online, but relying on that sort of execution just isn't working out for me.

Top Bottom