• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Shouta

Probably an attempt to escape, a grab attempt a backbraker might be an escape from?

I wonder if Hugo cr.strong would counterpoke Hugo stand fierce which you were doing a ton of.

Definitely an attempt to catch a back dash. He was doing it to everyone else. Plus, Hugo wants to stay in, so trying to escape is actually bad against Hawk.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Definitely an attempt to catch a back dash. He was doing it to everyone else. Plus, Hugo wants to stay in, so trying to escape is actually bad against Hawk.

Perhaps he should have done more YOLO SPDs and shit on his wakeup to encourage you to want to backdash.

alstein

Perhaps he should have done more YOLO SPDs and shit on his wakeup to encourage you to want to backdash.

On wakeup would a Hawk SPD beat a Hugo SPD since neither is throw invincible.

I know vs Gief I wouldn't pull any SPD shenanigans with Hawk due to Strong SPD from Gief being throw-invin.

Onemic

I think I might be done with this game.
Too bad there isn't any way to give away a copy of a game on PSN.

Funny that I was thinking the exact same thing today.

I really hate what they've done with Elena. Think I might go back to 3S and wait till the PC version hits in August. Hopefully a patch will be up by then as well.

hypernima

Banned
Funny that I was thinking the exact same thing today.

I really hate what they've done with Elena. Think I might go back to 3S and wait till the PC version hits in August. Hopefully a patch will be up by then as well.

I have technical and execution problems with myself. I spend too much time in the lab only to have everything unravel online. So it's half myself and half PSN.
I think I just need to take a long long break from fighting games and then maybe come back when I feel I can learn more about matchups and improving my execution.

Marz

I have technical and execution problems with myself. I spend too much time in the lab only to have everything unravel online. So it's half myself and half PSN.
I think I just need to take a long long break from fighting games and then maybe come back when I feel I can learn more about matchups and improving my execution.

What do you have problems with specifically? You play Cody right?

Izuna

Banned
Here are a couple of newer games with Wolfkrone and others.

http://youtu.be/2qCXX5wQSYs

Other changes to USF4 Ibuki

-- MK Tsumuji Loops no longer work. I should have known this before but it is a shame. I used to hit it perfect. No big deal though.

-- BP kara and special cancels are its only use. You can trade with kara Kazegiri from fireballs. BP into Red Focus is useless because you can only do it after punishes and if you have ultra it is better to just SJC into it. After stun this combo makes no sense as it increases scaling. Again, BP Red Focus is basically useless outside of focus trapping (please don't).

-- TC8 into Ultra 1 is insanely good. Almost the same damage and knockdown as EX Tsumuji Ultra 1 but can be done anywhere and is easier to do. Best way to maximise damage after a stun and cause a hard knockdown for Vortex (unless in corner, at which point a RAW U1 is better).

-- cr.HP SJC Red Focus doesn't work because the cr.HP itself isn't being cancelled (d'oh).

-- I tried for ages trying to get st.MP meaty to work with Red Focus. I can pull it off on wakeup just not in a combo. If anyone manages to find a way to get this to work please let me know.

-- I didn't know you could double loop Dudley (without using cr.LP). What in USF4 makes this change? I heard you can't loop guy but I don't understand what's causing this.

GrayFoxPL

Here are a couple of newer games with Wolfkrone and others.

http://youtu.be/2qCXX5wQSYs

Other changes to USF4 Ibuki

-- MK Tsumuji Loops no longer work. I should have known this before but it is a shame. I used to hit it perfect. No big deal though.

-- BP kara and special cancels are its only use. You can trade with kara Kazegiri from fireballs. BP into Red Focus is useless because you can only do it after punishes and if you have ultra it is better to just SJC into it. After stun this combo makes no sense as it increases scaling. Again, BP Red Focus is basically useless outside of focus trapping (please don't).

-- TC8 into Ultra 1 is insanely good. Almost the same damage and knockdown as EX Tsumuji Ultra 1 but can be done anywhere and is easier to do. Best way to maximise damage after a stun and cause a hard knockdown for Vortex (unless in corner, at which point a RAW U1 is better).

-- cr.HP SJC Red Focus doesn't work because the cr.HP itself isn't being cancelled (d'oh).

-- I tried for ages trying to get st.MP meaty to work with Red Focus. I can pull it off on wakeup just not in a combo. If anyone manages to find a way to get this to work please let me know.

-- I didn't know you could double loop Dudley (without using cr.LP). What in USF4 makes this change? I heard you can't loop guy but I don't understand what's causing this.

Shit. Stunned Daiminion twice!

So what's the verdict on Ultra? Good, bad, or meh?
I dig it a lot. They gave a lot of the characters some really fun tools to work with. I honestly hope they don't patch it too soon because I can already see what stuff they might take away.

Overall, it's the most fun i've had with the sf4 series since Super
ggs man. I went a little nutty at the end throwing out so many random ex tatsu. Noticed you always did something on wakeup or were pressing buttons.
That ex tatsu scares me. I punish it so poorly though. It gives you so much time to think about what to do that I end up having a brain fart.

Izuna

Banned
What the fuck? That was Dieminion?

Wow, just goes to show you can do a lot better when you don't know who your opponents are. I will ask for a FT5 then

If it makes you feel any better it took me a while to be able to do Yun combos online consistently and his execution is easy as pie. I think you have to practice situational application of combos in addition to just standing or crouching dummy in trainining mode. That was my next step and I'd usually just do it against a hard cpu in training mode. Or pick easy execution characters...
edit: then again I wasn't implementing plinking early on, which is difficult with pad, but I can kind of sorta do that now..

Izuna

Banned
Lol at me farming PP from Dieminion without realising who it is. If I get a legit set I will upload it, but I don't think I can beat him now that I will feel the pressure.

His Rolento is fucking annoying though, I really thought it was some scrub who who was taking the piss.

The Rolento I can believe though, but I think Dieminion was just testing the waters of USF4.

I should have known because he commented on how the overhead kick was good against Ibuki, so once I got hit by it I stopped doing it.

Couldn't win a single game from Smug though, and that's a good match-up =/

xCobalt

I dig it a lot. They gave a lot of the characters some really fun tools to work with. I honestly hope they don't patch it too soon because I can already see what stuff they might take away.

Overall, it's the most fun i've had with the sf4 series since Super

That ex tatsu scares me. I punish it so poorly though. It gives you so much time to think about what to do that I end up having a brain fart.

I think EX tatsu is probably the best anti air in the game. In regards to punishes, wait till Gouken reaches the peak of his tatsu then start your focus attack. If you do it too early, it won't hit correctly.

So what's the verdict on Ultra? Good, bad, or meh?

Answers will vary depending on if your character got hit with the nerf bat or not. For gentlemen like myself who main T.Hawk and/or Dan? It's a glorious, fantastic update.

For the lames who use Rolento and DeeJay? Try again if there's another update. :p

Izuna

Banned
Just play Dai Minh Yon's Yang, no that isn't Dieminion or he is simply testing the waters of USF4. Maybe it is laggier than I think. I know he uses that account but I doubt it is always him.

Dieminion is probably one of those awesome players who press buttons like offline even when online so they get counterhit a bunch. I don't feel like I won anything.

Onemic

PSN is my main issue. Even though I don't like what they've done with Elena I'd still play if the netcode was at least decent to support playing such a high execution character but it's so beyond shit that it's not even worth playing. What's worse is that AE PC netcode is not much better so it looks like I'm stuck playing 3rd strike until the dev team finally fixes the netcode problems on PC or Ultra releases in August.

Izuna

Banned
I want to upload the 3 back to back ranked matches we had today (not including the troll Yang where the connection was horrible anyway)... But recording on my phone is horrible. Does GAF have a Capture Card?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I was testing out the twins' dive kicks earlier. If you connect a dive kick to the lowest most possible point on a character, with Yun you can combo into low roundhouse and standing roundhouse with Yang, both ten frame startup (unless the SRK wiki is wrong). I tried it out on ryu, cammy gouken and gief just to see if the different sized bodies made a difference and they all hit the same. Not as bad as i thought... on hit anyway.

Laws00

when SF4:ae turns free for gold.

sometimes it hapens during the night

id be glad if someone told everyone hear me included

had the unfortunate time of finding out that super 4 disc wont work now, even with it installed on my hard drive

same thing happened with resident evil 5

Marz

I think EX tatsu is probably the best anti air in the game. In regards to punishes, wait till Gouken reaches the peak of his tatsu then start your focus attack. If you do it too early, it won't hit correctly.

When it hits I guess. As a strict anti air its really good, very risky reversal though.

Also characters like Sagat and Ryu can get full ultras off trades meter less.

El Sloth

Banned
Right, so I'll start taking names for people who want to participate in the PSN Team Tourney for today (at 7:30 p.m. EST. 8 if enough people ask for it). It's 3 v 3 using the Continuous team battle mode (2/3 rounds instead of a single round). Same rules as last week.

Just quote this post if you want in. Or have "PSN Team Tourney" in your post so I can easily find it.

Izuna

Banned
Gave up on the Dieminion videos. I am pretty damn sure his playstyle is affected by lag more than others.

Ibuki's slide and neckbreaker does so much against his sonic booms now.

--

Running a lobby 360 now, anyone wanna join?

Right, so I'll start taking names for people who want to participate in the PSN Team Tourney for today (at 7:30 p.m. EST. 8 if enough people ask for it). It's 3 v 3 using the Continuous team battle mode (2/3 rounds instead of a single round). Same rules as last week.

Just quote this post if you want in. Or have "PSN Team Tourney" in your post so I can easily find it.
Yo I'm game..

I'm in.

El Sloth

Banned
Well, shit.

There's literally only enough people for a single team lol. I blame the world cup. And father's day.

Might as well just make a regular lobby then.

xCobalt

When it hits I guess. As a strict anti air its really good, very risky reversal though.

Also characters like Sagat and Ryu can get full ultras off trades meter less.

I have never seen EX tatsu trade before, I don't think its possible since the move has a vacuum effect. It has a very deceptive range that lets it catch empty jumps or far jumps. It also sends the opponent full screen which is very useful if the gouken player prefers to play keepaway. As a reversal, there are definitely better moves but strictly speaking as an anti air, it's definitely one of the best.

Izuna

Banned
Are you still located in Europe or whatever? I don't know why you set yourself to a US region flag and subject yourself and opponents that join your lobby to the lag?

For the most part I get decent connection to East US. But we were two bars lol

hypernima

Banned
What do you have problems with specifically? You play Cody right?

• Zonk never comes out.
  • Punishing things seems so trivial, cr.lk is 3 frames but can't even punish some sweeps
  • I lose out to simple shit, ranging from Gouken fireball into demon flips, spammy Sagats and Ken's who say fuck your combo and just SRK in the middle of them.
  • I literally get irate that when I do focus and use my mind I usually always lose, but when I quit doing that, jumping around doing random shit I always seem to win my matches.
  • Every character for the most part has strings that leave them complete safe (Rose, Yun)

xCobalt

That grappler match was a lot of fun BV. I was so free with the green hand into spd thing. Not sure if you're planning to invest more time into Cody or were just messing around but his crouching mk goes under Gouken's fireball very easily. No need to take risks by focusing or jumping.

Top Bottom