• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

xCobalt

Is something bugged with the input for Hugo's Meat Squisher? I can do other 360 moves just fine, but that one gives me problems.

If you're doing it from neutral and you're not getting it, your inputs need to be cleaner. You should be able to get it as a shortcut if you do it 75% of the way (from back to up, counter clockwise).

BlackJace

3-37 on Ranked

VwfPcZL.gif

El Sloth

Banned
Just a heads up that I'll be doing another PSN team tourney tomorrow. It'll be the other mode this time (which I think is the more traditional one). I'll start taking names around 6 p.m. EST, get the teams and bracket made at 7 p.m. EST, and then we can start by 7:30 or 8 EST depending on what's best for people.

Just wait six weeks and get on PC, as long as your PC isn't sub-toaster status it should end up best version.

I wouldn't recommend it actually. The transition to steamworks has probably been the worst thing to ever happen to the game. Numerous problems online and offline and recent patches haven't done jack shit honestly.

I gave in and picked this up after swearing that I wouldn't...sigh. Man, I forgot how awful online is when I can't even block elena's ex overhead move when I know it's coming =/

Marz

Just a heads up that I'll be doing another PSN team tourney tomorrow. It'll be the other mode this time (which I think is the more traditional one). I'll start taking names around 6 p.m., get the teams and bracket made at 7 p.m., and then we can start by 7:30 or 8 depending on what's best for people.

What timezone are those times based off of?

Just a heads up that I'll be doing another PSN team tourney tomorrow. It'll be the other mode this time (which I think is the more traditional one). I'll start taking names around 6 p.m. EST, get the teams and bracket made at 7 p.m. EST, and then we can start by 7:30 or 8 EST depending on what's best for people.
I have no work tomorrow.

:D

alstein

I wouldn't recommend it actually. The transition to steamworks has probably been the worst thing to ever happen to the game. Numerous problems online and offline and recent patches haven't done jack shit honestly.

They actually are working on it, and the conversion team is competent, so I have pretty decent faith it will get done.

Even as bad as it is now, I felt it was better than PSN currently is.

Renekton

They actually are working on it, and the conversion team is competent, so I have pretty decent faith it will get done.

Then again PSN doesn't have the issue of opponent using shtty PCs

alstein

How unsafe is EX lariat with Hugo? I never see anyone punish it but it looks so punishable.

Then again PSN doesn't have the issue of opponent using shtty PCs

It's not that big an issue, you're more likely to run into wireless PSN folks running hamster internet. I'd say it was pretty rare to run into poor PCs now.

Marz

I know it is, I'm just good at reacting to them lol. I have to anticipate the jump beforehand and I'm not doing a very good job right now.

Oh yea plus its hard on PSN.

Hugo is so fun I want to get good with him. Like every single one of his moves are hype lmao.

Edit: Hugo EX lariat is -6 so you can uppercut it or whatever.

I would like to believe you, as I want to upgrade to Ultra and would hate to waste the money I used in buying this game, but the current state of the game is abysmal and I can't justify upgrading it. What assurance do you have that the team is competent? The transition to Steam came with a lot of problems. Many of which are NOT fixed despite two (or three, can't remember exactly) patches. Sure they fixed some basic stuff like the sound not being completely off when turned to 0 in the sound settings screen and...what else actually? The region setting is still broken (I know because I get a list of completely different players when I go into steam to switch my region, meaning that the region settings are still locked to what my city/local area, limiting my player pool), the network status bar continues to blink and never settles while looking for lobbies, so I don't know my connection. And creating lobbies doesn't help all that much either because the status bar while inside a lobby is always green, even though the actual match may be laggy as hell. On top of that you have the steam overlay lagging the game still and a memory leak to go with it.

alstein

Q-Loc (the team doing it) has a pretty solid reputation, and I do believe Steam and GFWL have some real differences which might impact stuff, so I am giving them time.

If it sucks come August, I can wait . The PC version is important, as it's the version that will be played 10 yrs from now.

Imm0rt4l

amazing how ultra continuously freezes at the vs screen and I either get 'logged out' or have to restart my ps3. 3 times I had to do that shit in the last hour, fuck this shit.

Is Evil Ryu's overhead really +4 on hit? Ive been trying to link a low strong after it all day and it cant connect.

It's only +4 on standing opponents. On croucher's it's +2 instead. Even if you hit a standing opponent, it usually causes too much push off to link into a 3 or 4f attack.

Onemic

It's only +4 on standing opponents. On croucher's it's +2 instead. Even if you hit a standing opponent, it usually causes too much push off to link into a 3 or 4f attack.

on standing? ....that's such an odd decision.

well anyway, my alt decision has come down to Yang, Oni, or Evil Ryu. Evil Ryu is pretty much the character I'd have to learn from scratch as I already know how to play yang and learned Oni's BnB's a while back. Every time I mess around with Oni and then come back to e.Ryu though....it just feels like Oni is literally the poor mans version of him. At this point it's just gonna be between Yang and e.Ryu. Do you have any insight to how his matchups are rice?

BizzyBum

GGs Cobalt, every time we play we are so evenly matched. lol

I also remembered like 40 minutes into our set I have the luxury of delayed wakeup. smh

Did you drop evil ryu?

Eh, kinda. I may still use him from time to time but I'm just so used to Ryu it's hard to drop him completely.

Most of his match ups are even or slightly in his favor(majority are even though IMO). He's got a handful of bad match ups like Rose, Adon, Viper, Ibuki, They're more the 6-4 variety and not hard counters like Hawk-Blanka. So he can fight them but hopefully your main can cover those match ups better because he'll have a tough time in those matches.

xCobalt

GGs Cobalt, every time we play we are so evenly matched. lol

I also remembered like 40 minutes into our set I have the luxury of delayed wakeup. smh

Eh, kinda. I may still use him from time to time but I'm just so used to Ryu it's hard to drop him completely.

That really telegraphed back throw setup is a crossup btw lol. It used to be an unblockable but not anymore. Delayed wakeup would have definitely helped in those situations too. I started getting a bit predictable with my blockstrings towards the end. Definitely need to switch it up more.

Onemic

Most of his match ups are even or slightly in his favor(majority are even though IMO). He's got a handful of bad match ups like Rose, Adon, Viper, Ibuki, They're more the 6-4 variety and not hard counters like Hawk-Blanka. So he can fight them but hopefully your main can cover those match ups better because he'll have a tough time in those matches.

Well Elena definitely loses to Adon and Rose as well haha. She beats Blanka, viper, and Ibuki, but I feel the Hawk MU is even. Yang is even with Rose and I think he loses to Adon.

Been practicing Akuma lately to try and get back to where I was before (not very good).

Akuma feels the exact same as AE, which certainly isn't a bad thing.

Just curious T Hawk players, do you like the change in his condor spire? I kind of liked it before with the punch instead of the kick button now. It now seems more predictable a player is gonna use it.

Shouta

Hugo does so poorly against T.hawk, lol. I played against Air's Hugo earlier tonight and I won 3-0. Probably would've done better if I was playing on my game. =(

http://www.twitch.tv/teamkhaos/b/538550831?t=482m

Just curious T Hawk players, do you like the change in his condor spire? I kind of liked it before with the punch instead of the kick button now. It now seems more predictable a player is gonna use it.

Yes, it's good. If you're worried about it being telegraphed with kicks, then doing it off light punch without any kicks is the best choice.

Laconic

Banned
Hugo does so poorly against T.hawk, lol. I played against Air's Hugo earlier tonight and I won 3-0. Probably would've done better if I was playing on my game. =(

Yes, it's good. If you're worried about it being telegraphed with kicks, then doing it off light punch without any kicks is the best choice.

Why would it be more telegraphed off of a kick?

Also, how are the Blankaesque matchups, this time? More like 3:7 instead of lololololol:character select?

I would use it to surprise my opponents when I back dash or just plain walking back.
I love his stand up roundhouse kick against Hugo. Keeps my distance from them.
I'm ok with him but suck when using Gief and before on the older series it was vice versa...lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

He sure did a lot of wakeup backbreakers and ultras. Was he just trying to escape, or was he honestly guessing that you were going to be airborne?

alstein

He sure did a lot of wakeup backbreakers and ultras. Was he just trying to escape, or was he honestly guessing that you were going to be airborne?

Probably an attempt to escape, a grab attempt a backbraker might be an escape from?

I wonder if Hugo cr.strong would counterpoke Hugo stand fierce which you were doing a ton of.

Top Bottom