• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Tesseract

Banned
How do you deal with using E.Ryu online? Do you modify your combos at all?

Stuff like c.mp, s.hp -> axe kick, c.lp, s.mp -> axe kick, FADC or really any of his combos that go beyond 1 axe kick get me grabbed, random DP'ed or worse. I hate having to tone things down online, but relying on that sort of execution just isn't working out for me.

i got no problems plinking those combos online or off, my ratio of success is pretty good. it's even easier now with training delay experimentation, ty basis capcomz.

hitsugi

i got no problems plinking those combos online or off, my ratio of success is similar and accurate. it's even easier now with training delay experimentation. i'm on 360 and pc.

I have no issues offline with just about anything that would be considered high execution. 1 frame links, Chun Li counter-hit cl.HP fadc ultra, lightning leg loops, whatever. PSN is and has always been a bit of a nightmare for me.

Tesseract

Banned
I have no issues offline with just about anything that would be considered high execution. 1 frame links, Chun Li counter-hit cl.HP fadc ultra, lightning leg loops, whatever. PSN is and has always been a bit of a nightmare for me.

yeah, i can attest to dem laggy psn feels. bummer ;(

360 has always been buttermilk for me. pc too before the steamworks transition, which is something bacon has said capcom is working on.

*edit* i'm writing some poopy butter sentences, apologies.

Why does it make people not antiair if you don't really punish them for attempting to?
I still get good frame advantage AFAIK.

Oni is meant to be grounded like 100% of the time. His jump is a little floaty so it makes it easier for people to AA you. Plus most of his tools aside from his air dash are on the ground. Most of my confirms come from c.Lp, c.LP, b.MP. So pretty much like Sanford. The reason is that it leads to all of his options. If you get a hit you can confirm it into either his crouching or standing combo, if it's blocked you can go for a slight walk up kara throw, frame trap(which should catch a lot of people online due to the duration of his b.MP), or a mixup with either MP or HP demon slash.

Also, like you said the primary use of his air dash is to catch people trying to DP you.(and for air tatsu crossups) You should mainly be using it to fish for super as you can punish their DP with it.(Mainly shoto fierce DP) His raging demon can be done in the air, so if you do a reverse air dash, see the DP, and input his raging demon fast enough it will punish their DP attempt for almost 400dmg. Infiltration used it a lot vs shotos.
I tend not to use meter so I have the raging demon punish. I got it off twice in my last set.

What do you use as a combo ender against characters which tatsu goes over?

xCobalt

Ever since smug started doing well in tournaments, the number of dudleys on ranked is absurd. Easily the most common character I've come across.

I tend not to use meter so I have the raging demon punish. I got it off twice in my last set.

Oni gets way more mileage out of fadc combos rather than a super. A 1 frame super is definitely great but when you have access to 3 frame normals that link into big damage, I don't think its even comparable. It also comes down to the matchup but I can't think of too many moves that leave you point blank and -1. If you start incorporating meter into your combos, you should always include a crouch fierce since it forces stand which will allow you to combo into tatsu.

xCobalt

That really telegraphed back throw setup is a crossup btw lol. It used to be an unblockable but not anymore. Delayed wakeup would have definitely helped in those situations too. I started getting a bit predictable with my blockstrings towards the end. Definitely need to switch it up more.

Soo...I was wrong about this. It's still an unblockable on all traditional shotos. I'm not gonna lie, I'm definitely gonna abuse it now.

Edit: Ibuki too.

Ever since smug started doing well in tournaments, the number of dudleys on ranked is absurd. Easily the most common character I've come across.

Oni gets way more mileage out of fadc combos rather than a super. A 1 frame super is definitely great but when you have access to 3 frame normals that link into big damage, I don't think its even comparable. It also comes down to the matchup but I can't think of too many moves that leave you point blank and -1. If you start incorporating meter into your combos, you should always include a crouch fierce since it forces stand which will allow you to combo into tatsu.
What combo with a crouching fierce do you suggest?

I've just been practicing: Target Combo 1, Demon Punch LP, FADC, loop until tatsu. Pretty lame, I know.

Onemic

You mean against crouchers? I do c.LP, c.LP, b.MP xx lk slash, FADC, c.MP, c.HP xx hk Tatsu

Meterless I do c.Lp, c.LP, b.MP xx hp SRK.

dont use TC1, use TC2.

How do you deal with using E.Ryu online? Do you modify your combos at all?

Stuff like c.mp, s.hp -> axe kick, c.lp, s.mp -> axe kick, FADC or really any of his combos that go beyond 1 axe kick get me grabbed, random DP'ed or worse. I hate having to tone things down online, but relying on that sort of execution just isn't working out for me.

I don't have great execution, I go for the easier links and rarely go for FADC combos. I don't do cr. MP, cl. HP link because getting the extra bit of stun and damage isn't worth it to deal with another 1f link. When it comes to punishing, I go straight for cl. HP into whatever. I also use cr. LP after MK axe kick instead of cr. MP.

Until just a few weeks ago, I couldn't reliably hit confirm low forward fireball into FADC combos. I grinded like crazy until I could finally do it reliably. It's a breath of fresh air to know this this is in my arsenal now. But basically their are still a lot of things I need to work on to become better with this character.

xCobalt

You mean against crouchers? I do c.LP, c.LP, b.MP xx lk slash, FADC, c.MP, c.HP xx hk Tatsu

Meterless I do c.Lp, c.LP, b.MP xx hp SRK.

dont use TC1, use TC2.

You could also replace the first cr.lp with a crouch tech. It'll allow you to tech throws if you mistime your normals as well as continue the combo if it you hit the cr.lk.

YoungHav

Banned
Nope. I dislike the music changes as well. They should have left it alone. you don't mess with the character select music unless the whole screen design actually changes (like vanilla to Super). At worst a toggle option would have been nice.

I'm fairly confident it should be do-able on the PC version when it comes out.
That is hella wack. What a stupid idea, no one in Capcom Japan has working ears?

El Sloth

Banned
This community is so humble compared to SRK...
It's not so much humility as it's acknowledgement of the fact that not only is jlai a better player than me but that I am also not very good in the first place. My Rose is less than ideal to practice against for better Roses, but at least I can give him an idea of some of the stuff that works against her.

Edit: Rice-Eater, forgot to mention my PSN in case you ever feel like practicing: El--Sloth

Sigmaah

Copping this once I get home tonight, we in there!

Who to play tho? I like to Rushdown and apply mad pressure yo. Help me SF GAF!

xCobalt

Is that pretty easy to do? I run into that message sometimes, but not a majority of the time.

If it doesn't occur very often, it's probably the host. Sometimes when you go to ranked, you might see that one person who always has a spot available but can never join. The other reason if you get that message is if someone joined before you.

It's pretty easy to fix. Just google PS3/360/Steam port forwarding. You can also set up a DMZ for your console which is a lot simpler.

If it doesn't occur very often, it's probably the host. Sometimes when you go to ranked, you might see that one person who always has a spot available but can never join. The other reason if you get that message is if someone joined before you.

It's pretty easy to fix. Just google PS3/360/Steam port forwarding. You can also set up a DMZ for your console which is a lot simpler.
Could also be more complicated like my router modem duo. My modem doubled as a router (with only 1 ethernet port and no wireless) so I was behind 2 routers. Was actually quite difficult to find any easy info for the situation, but I was able to convert my modem's router to NAT only so forwarding ports on the router used for the home network worked for my PS3.

Copping this once I get home tonight, we in there!

Who to play tho? I like to Rushdown and apply mad pressure yo. Help me SF GAF!

If you want that cheap shit then I would definitely go with Yun or Cammy.

I think Cody is very good at applying pressure if you can properly use his buttons.

If this was AE I would recommend Fei Long cause he was damn good. I don't know how he plays in this. He's probably still good though.

If you can play Guy properly, he can apply some ridiculous pressure.

There's also Rufus. Though you have to be careful since so many people know that matchup.

Seth would've probably been perfect for you in the other versions, but everyone says he sucks in this.........I seriously doubt that though. But yeah he was hands down the cheapest character in my opinion. I would compare him to Zero in a way.....if you guessed wrong, you were fucked and he has a shitload of options. It wasn't uncommon for the character to get a Perfect on you with minimal effort, much like Zero. I loved playing Seth though....he was so much fun. I played him until AE.

Sigmaah

If you want that cheap shit then I would definitely go with Yun or Cammy.

I think Cody is very good at applying pressure if you can properly use his buttons.

If this was AE I would recommend Fei Long cause he was damn good. I don't know how he plays in this. He's probably still good though.

If you can play Guy properly, he can apply some ridiculous pressure.

There's also Rufus. Though you have to be careful since so many people know that matchup.

Seth would've probably been perfect for you in the other versions, but everyone says he sucks in this.........I seriously doubt that though. But yeah he was hands down the cheapest character in my opinion. I would compare him to Zero in a way.....if you guessed wrong, you were fucked and he has a shitload of options. It wasn't uncommon for the character to get a Perfect on you with minimal effort, much like Zero. I loved playing Seth though....he was so much fun. I played him until AE.

yo damn son I would've chose seth. Im gonna go with Yun and Akuma for now, see where it takes me, ty for responses ppl!

xCobalt

Could also be more complicated like my router modem duo. My modem doubled as a router (with only 1 ethernet port and no wireless) so I was behind 2 routers. Was actually quite difficult to find any easy info for the situation, but I was able to convert my modem's router to NAT only so forwarding ports on the router used for the home network worked for my PS3.

I actually have two routers in my house too. What I did was make the second router an access point. It doesn't do anything other than send data to the primary router. It definitely simplified everything.

Anyone have advice for how to beat a Rolento that only does the roll and taunts as Cody? I've fought a few of them online and I have the toughest time actually doing anything. Sweep doesn't reach generally and I feel rocks would be too slow. Advice to punish helps since I don't want to be caught unawares at a tournament.

Anyone have advice for how to beat a Rolento that only does the roll and taunts as Cody? I've fought a few of them online and I have the toughest time actually doing anything. Sweep doesn't reach generally and I feel rocks would be too slow. Advice to punish helps since I don't want to be caught unawares at a tournament.

qcf+mk?

kcxiv

lag has been pissing me off. i have a damned good connection, but that shit is terrible at times. Some matches are flawless, but some are just bad and thats even with a friend that lives like 2 hours from me.

Laconic

Banned
I've given up attempting to play fighting games on PSN. It has helped my mood, immensely, and has reaffirmed my sanity. I no longer do the same thing... waiting for player... over... waiting for player... and over. I also no longer expect good things from Capcom. Elena is shite, DJ is worse, but my brain is right as rain.

Top Bottom