• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Hahaha just won a match with a Standing Gigas on a turtling Decapre wake-up. Stood right next to her after knocking her down in a corner, walked back and forth a bit and BAM! Thx Jibbo!!
I can't do standing 720's for shit in this game, though I don't have problems in other games.

Meh. I use ultra 2 anyway.

Are standing 720s even possible in this game, without ticks, dash canceling, or FADC?
Well one of the videos on the previous page had the Hugo player doing it. The first one looked kind of iffy, but the second one seemed legit.

Edit: plus if I'm not mistaken, snake eyez does them frequently.

What the fuck did they do to the netcode like fucking seriously why is it so bad now

And fuck them changing the command on Honda and boxers ultra 2

So salty aaaàAaajajab

Laconic

Banned
Well one of the videos on the previous page had the Hugo player doing it. The first one looked kind of iffy, but the second one seemed legit.

Edit: plus if I'm not mistaken, snake eyez does them frequently.

Yes they are possible, just incredibly difficult.

How does one churn a half circle to an up postion twice, without his character going airborne somewhere around the first 225 degrees?

xCobalt

How does one churn a half circle to an up postion twice, without his character going airborne somewhere around the first 225 degrees?

Completing the motion before the character jumps. I forgot the exact number but you have like 7 or 8 frames to input the motion before the character is airborne.

GG Minibossbattle but the lag is just too much for me.

Does anybody else want to play on either Xbox or PS3?

I'm down for xbl.

Laconic

Banned
Completing the motion before the character jumps. I forgot the exact number but you have like 7 or 8 frames to input the motion before the character is airborne.

I'm down for xbl.

I am not a grappler player by trade, but this is compelling me to try, tomorrow. So... 10 cardinals in 7 frames, is it? One tenth of a second seems reasonable. :/

Onemic

I am not a grappler player by trade, but this is compelling me to try, tomorrow. So... 10 cardinals in 7 frames, is it? One tenth of a second seems reasonable. :/

A lot of people hide it within other inputs. For example hawk can whiff condor dive and do a 720 during recovery and as soon as recovery is over he'll ultra. Same with doing an empty jump and doing a 720, or gief's whiffed st.hk or green hand into 720. There are a lot of ways to do it without having to do it within the 8 frame window.

A lot of people hide it within other inputs. For example hawk can whiff condor dive and do a 720 during recovery and as soon as recovery is over he'll ultra. Same with doing an empty jump and doing a 720, or gief's whiffed st.hk or green hand into 720. There are a lot of ways to do it without having to do it within the 8 frame window.
Yeah but that's all buffering and that's how most people do it. I think we're talking strictly standing and being able to pull it off.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Yeah but that's all buffering and that's how most people do it. I think we're talking strictly standing and being able to pull it off.

I just did it tonight in a match, did it 3x in a row at one point in Training mode, and generally wayyyyyy more frequently there than I ever did in Third Strike. So I'm gonna go ahead and say its definitely easier. Much easier.

I just did it tonight in a match, did it 3x in a row at one point in Training mode, and generally wayyyyyy more frequently there than I ever did in Third Strike. So I'm gonna go ahead and say its definitely easier. Much easier.
Yeah I don't get it.
I could do it in 3rd Strike.
Ehhh, maybe it's because execution is harder/different in SF4

I feel like it's really hard to balance Dhalsim as a character because he's so weird, and you pretty much have to figure out that matchup playstyle for only that one character. This has the effect of people not knowing the Sim matchup getting blown up, and people who do know the matchup blowing Sim up instead.

This raises the question - should the game be balanced at the highest levels of play, the average level of play for the majority of the userbase, or somewhere in the middle?
If Capcom wanted to compromise for the lesser skilled players, they should've worked on improving other elements to aid said demographic instead. A better tutorial to teach players (see: Skullgirls at minimum or VF4), an updated Trial mode, making tough links a little more lenient, those type of inclusions.

Ultradavid's list for USF4 so far.

https://twitter.com/ultradavid/status/479410998948818945

Pretty good with a few adjustments, i think.
I really should give Hakan a try now that my (already mediocre) Dhalsim likely won't be cutting it anymore. He'd be my first grappler though, so I need to heckle UltraDavid a bit for general playstyle advice and additional sources of Hakan-specific information to read through.

Dumb question: SSF4AE PC retail (GFW) copies are selling for dirt cheap, can I redeem them on Steam now, then upgrade to Ultra later down the line?

Sigmaah

Been using Yun and ehhh it's alright so far, I just don't understand this game whatsoever so that's probs why I'm feeling ehh about it.

But I also just realized that Johnny Yong Bosch voices Yang, so I'll have to switch to yang now since it's a tradition that I play characters voiced by him.

Ultra 1 or 2 for yang?

Kain

Still can't believe they haven't fixed the matchmaking issue: yesterday me with 1100 PP, 1200 BP against a guy with 1500 PP and 4000 BP, yeah, same skill my ass.

It's gonna be a long trip to reach 5000 BP - 2000 PP (my absolute best in vanilla Super)

Been using Yun and ehhh it's alright so far, I just don't understand this game whatsoever so that's probs why I'm feeling ehh about it.

But I also just realized that Johnny Yong Bosch voices Yang, so I'll have to switch to yang now since it's a tradition that I play characters voiced by him.
Yang is waaaay more fun to play in my opinion.
What aren't you understanding?
Have you been playing online at all?

Either ultra in my opinion. I go with ultra 1

Sigmaah

Yang is waaaay more fun to play in my opinion.
What aren't you understanding?
Have you been playing online at all?

Either ultra in my opinion. I go with ultra 1

Just what to do in neutral and how to approach and open someone up. I am so use to jumping cause of marvel and I know that's not something I should do often in this game.

I'm playing player matches and I get bopped hard lmfao.

Still can't believe they haven't fixed the matchmaking issue: yesterday me with 1100 PP, 1200 BP against a guy with 1500 PP and 4000 BP, yeah, same skill my ass.

It's gonna be a long trip to reach 5000 BP - 2000 PP (my absolute best in vanilla Super)
That is the same skill in my opinion. In fact you're better than him. BP doesn't mean shit. It's just how much you've been grinding with a character. PP is a much better indicator of skill.
Just what to do in neutral and how to approach and open someone up. I am so use to jumping cause of marvel and I know that's not something I should do often in this game.

I'm playing player matches and I get bopped hard lmfao.
Jumping is a no no, but it'll be easier with Yun or Yang since they can change the trajectory of their jumps with divekicks. It's a much more patient game than Marvel and requires a different kind of thinking.
Actually I shouldn't say much more patient, because marvel neutral can last quite a while.
But yeah, overall, it's just a different kind of game.

Jumping is gonna depend on your matchups. Some characters you can jump in on for free and others you'd be better off rarely ever leaving the ground. Learn your spacing with divekicks and it'll help you approach. Yun and Yang both have overheads with f+mk, so that should help open people up once you get close. They both have a fairly strong throw game since they can apply a lot of pressure. Start throwing the hell out of people. And once you're comfortable you can mix in command throws and stuff.

I'd type up more but I'm on my phone

Yup you can do that, Ultra dlc also available for pre order now on gmg and steam too

Great. At 4$, it's a great buy even if I never get Ultra DLC.

Also, I haven't been playing since Street Fighter 4, completely skipped all Super iterations. Is Abel still an upper-mid tier character? I loved playing him. (Now that they have more SF3 characters, I'll have to make time for Dudley and Makoto as well though.. hehe)

Sigmaah

Jumping is a no no, but it'll be easier with Yun or Yang since they can change the trajectory of their jumps with divekicks. It's a much more patient game than Marvel and requires a different kind of thinking.
Actually I shouldn't say much more patient, because marvel neutral can last quite a while.
But yeah, overall, it's just a different kind of game.

Jumping is gonna depend on your matchups. Some characters you can jump in on for free and others you'd be better off rarely ever leaving the ground. Learn your spacing with divekicks and it'll help you approach. Yun and Yang both have overheads with f+mk, so that should help open people up once you get close. They both have a fairly strong throw game since they can apply a lot of pressure. Start throwing the hell out of people. And once you're comfortable you can mix in command throws and stuff.

I'd type up more but I'm on my phone

Ty for the info dude. Will try not to jump as much as I do lmao. I'll learn the dive kick spacing as well.

I'll deff have a second char to use and I'm thinking Oni. This dudes damage is real as fuck.

Ty for the info dude. Will try not to jump as much as I do lmao. I'll learn the dive kick spacing as well.

I'll deff have a second char to use and I'm thinking Oni. This dudes damage is real as fuck.
You want some ridiculous damage and stun for no meter? Pick Evil Ryu. The shit is nonsense.

This game also has an online training mode and I'm sure some peeps would be willing to help you out, myself included. Though the netcode in this game took a huge shit with this update. Before it was easily better than Marvel, but now it may just be worse.

Dartastic

It os so shotty. Some nights it is perfect and some it is unbearable.
I've never really wanted a refund on a game, but I kinda do now. Or at least some sorta exchange code or something. I bought the PSN game because I lent my GF my 360, and I had a decent experience on PSN with AE. I honestly don't know what happened but the game is far, far, FAR worse than it was with AE. There's really no point to my purchase if I can't really play other people, and I kinda can't. I spent literally (and I timed it) over two minutes waiting for someone for a ranked matched today after I created a room. That wouldn't be a big deal if I knew the game was sparsely populated, but USF4 definitely is not that. WTF?!?

Malalaw

I've never really wanted a refund on a game, but I kinda do now. Or at least some sorta exchange code or something. I bought the PSN game because I lent my GF my 360, and I had a decent experience on PSN with AE. I honestly don't know what happened but the game is far, far, FAR worse than it was with AE. There's really no point to my purchase if I can't really play other people, and I kinda can't. I spent literally (and I timed it) over two minutes waiting for someone for a ranked matched today after I created a room. That wouldn't be a big deal if I knew the game was sparsely populated, but USF4 definitely is not that. WTF?!?

I picked up the upgrade on a whim because I was in a fighting mood and I have some serious SF friends. It's just a bipolar experience for me but I am trying to toughen it out and get better. I already picked up a fightstick so no turning back now lol.

airjoca

So, anyone know about the alternate costumes Capcom was supposed to give us if we bought the game on the first week? (EU PSN)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Yeah I don't get it.
I could do it in 3rd Strike.
Ehhh, maybe it's because execution is harder/different in SF4

See, I'm the total opposite. I rarely ever got out a Standing Gigas in 3S, to the point where I wouldn't even try it during a match. I was content with buffering in all its forms (mostly dashing in after dat clap pressure). But now!

Onemic

Do not be fooled by Oni's dmg output. If you want dmg, pick evil ryu.

Top Bottom