• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

See, I'm the total opposite. I rarely ever got out a Standing Gigas in 3S, to the point where I wouldn't even try it during a match. I was content with buffering in all its forms (mostly dashing in after dat clap pressure). But now!

Does Hugo have extra pre-jump frames in USFIV? I'm sure I heard someone say he has two more pre-jump frames than 'gief.

So, anyone know about the alternate costumes Capcom was supposed to give us if we bought the game on the first week? (EU PSN)

Hmm, it was on the store 5 days ago, I downloaded it. I just tried finding a link for you on the PSN webstore though and it isn't showing up.

Maybe Sony EU removed it by mistake in the weekly store update, certainly wouldn't be the first time done such a thing.

"2014 Challengers Costume Pack" is the name if want to chase them up about it.

airjoca

Hmm, it was on the store 5 days ago, I downloaded it. I just tried finding a link for you on the PSN webstore though and it isn't showing up.

Maybe Sony EU removed it by mistake in the weekly store update, certainly wouldn't be the first time done such a thing.

"2014 Challengers Costume Pack" is the name if want to chase them up about it.

Thats probably the way they did it then, a limited time download. I missed it. :(

TheMink

I really wished i liked playing as Ken more. I've mained him for years but now I've switched to ERyu which is kinda lame as his frequency is so high.

But i just love his combos, doing any variation of heavy punch axe kick/tatsu SRK is so awesome.

Even though i cant do his links super reliably if i just do heavy punch axe kick SRK thats 300 damage not including focus attacks or jump ins.

Also if i hit the light Tatsu or axe kick i can confirm SRK FADC ultra and i just feel so awesome even if its not the most efficient use of meter.

Ken is fairly boring combo wise except in the corner or off a counter hit, not that he isnt doing plenty of damage but its just kinda lame. Comboing into his ultra is also super boring because you never get a cinematic. Except on a counter off the second hit of a heavy SRK but common...

I really liked him in sfxtk because he could combo off a ex Tatsu and hit a heavy SRK off of a light SRK. That crap is swag yo. Wish he had that in SFIV.

/rant

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Does Hugo have extra pre-jump frames in USFIV? I'm sure I heard someone say he has two more pre-jump frames than 'gief.

I think this is the case. In my purely unscientific research, I find I can still do a Standing Gigas relatively consistently with Hugo, but when I try doing 720's with Hakan, Hawk, or Zangief, no dice. I went back and forth between all of them a few times too. Hakan seems to jump the fastest/easiest, followed by Gief.

Hugo players must have a good sense of humor in this game. One Hugo player left a message "Hulk Hogan leg drop!" and another said "Zangief looks so tiny lol"

I think it's time for me to drop Honda. I went on a mad losing streak, I've been getting bopped ever since Ultra came out.

I don't think Decapre is much better, but I've pretty much dropped Honda for all intents and purposes. I think I've used Honda maybe 3-4 times since Ultra. He's just not really fun to play anymore, and his "buffs" <<<<< nerfs. I can see using him in some matchups for now, but I just need more exp against the rest of the cast with Decapre

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
man, Guy can't do shit to Evil Ryu. He's got too many tools that have me scared.

Really? I dont find him any more threatening than akuma or any other shoto. Guy has the footsie tools to put the hurt on him. Especially now that he cant safe reversal DP. Standing strong and forward both got the reach that gives E Ryu problems, and most E Ryus ive played love themselves some buttons. Counter hit stand strong to whatever you feel like all day.

Shouta

Yes, Hugo has extra pre-jump frames from what everyone has tested. it makes doing standing 720s with him easier than Hakan/Hawk/Zangief

AlfaTrion

been too busy to play since Super SF4 (not even AE) but I got ULTRA on my 360

Ultra on 360 --> AlfaTrion36
AE on Steam --> AlfaTrion36

Feel free to add, I won't be much of a challenge to ppl that haven't stopped playing since it came out hah.

Really? I dont find him any more threatening than akuma or any other shoto. Guy has the footsie tools to put the hurt on him. Especially now that he cant safe reversal DP. Standing strong and forward both got the reach that gives E Ryu problems, and most E Ryus ive played love themselves some buttons. Counter hit stand strong to whatever you feel like all day.

Really? When Guy players start spamming st. forward against me I start using my own st. forward and they stop.

As for the Evil Ryu/Guy match up, I thought it was even in AE 2012 and I think it's still the same in USF4.

Sigmaah

You want some ridiculous damage and stun for no meter? Pick Evil Ryu. The shit is nonsense.

This game also has an online training mode and I'm sure some peeps would be willing to help you out, myself included. Though the netcode in this game took a huge shit with this update. Before it was easily better than Marvel, but now it may just be worse.

Word we should deff play some games then, if I learn from ppl on here, that'd help out a lot.

Ima stick with Oni for my "shoto" cause he got air dashes lmao. Air dashes in street fighter? That's my dude right there!

Do not be fooled by Oni's dmg output. If you want dmg, pick evil ryu.

I'm seeing a lot of evil ryus online and Jesus his damage is insane. But I don't have any interest towards him atm.

Hate to say it but I'm tempted to learn Evil Ryu.

Why did they have to give him more life :(

He's just a fun character to use. When he was first released I messed around with him because I enjoyed his play style but never took him seriously because of bad health and seemed more of a fan service , but now that he is considered a top character now I'm trying to fight the urge to really pick him up...

Onemic

Word we should deff play some games then, if I learn from ppl on here, that'd help out a lot.

Ima stick with Oni for my "shoto" cause he got air dashes lmao. Air dashes in street fighter? That's my dude right there!

I'm seeing a lot of evil ryus online and Jesus his damage is insane. But I don't have any interest towards him atm.

His air dashes are terrible due to the crazy amount of recovery you're in after. Unless you're trying to bait a DP to go into super or you're using his air dash xx tatsu mixup don't use it.

His FADC combos are some of the most fun to pull off though imo.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Really? When Guy players start spamming st. forward against me I start using my own st. forward and they stop.

As for the Evil Ryu/Guy match up, I thought it was even in AE 2012 and I think it's still the same in USF4.

I don't really spam stand forward. I measure with it but i sure spam the hell out of stand strong. I think Guy's buttons beat E Ryu's in the sweep range. Stand fierce trades with most DP's in the game. Cr fierce is something like plus 9 on block..DF roundhouse beats most lows. Stand roundhouse is godlike now. Nothing about E Ryu scares me honestly. Up close and post knockdown are the ranges where i try to watch what im doing but outside of that there's nothing about that match up that sticks out about particularly good or bad.

Is Yang's standing jab or crouching jab or crouching medium punch special cancelable? Its only crouching light kick, crounching medium kick and standing medium punch?

Marz

I might give in to the Satsui no Hado as well.

Character feels so good to use. Just like Ryu but better and flashier.

Malalaw

With the server issues that has been popping up lately I've just been sticking to basic combos and hoping for the best. It works so far lol.

Grakl

should I get this for the PS3? kinda wanna wait for PC, but waiting another month and a half sucks

any issues with the ps3 version?

GoaThief

Might have to start playing again, not that I'm very good but there may be some fresh scrubs to play against to stop my Juri from getting slaughtered.

Where is the largest player base, PC or 360?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Yes, Hugo has extra pre-jump frames from what everyone has tested. it makes doing standing 720s with him easier than Hakan/Hawk/Zangief

Ah, good to see confirmation. Doing standing 720's with anyone else seems akin to 3rd Strike difficulty. Hope they don't change that in any upcoming patches.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
should I get this for the PS3? kinda wanna wait for PC, but waiting another month and a half sucks

any issues with the ps3 version?

Just get it on both-- this upgrade is cheap. I've packed away my 360 but I would have hooked it back up had Live been free to play online or if I had an Xbone, easily. Have it on PS3, will get it on PC, and will likely re-buy on PS3 again when the retail version releases. You can never have enough fighting games!

El Sloth

Banned
well, the PC crowd has always been ass, and I don't really play online anyway -- any other issues?
When we say terrible, we mean in the technical sense. As in, people will get randomly signed off of PSN during a match or a lobby (resulting in a loss of points in Ranked), truly horrendous lag against certain people that feels as if the characters are wading through a solid block of molasses to beat the crap out of each other, and twice I've had the game freeze on me during the online VS screen (the one where it shows both characters that were chosen and what ultras were picked) where I had to restart the PS3.

But since you said you barely play online then it really shouldn't matter unless you plan on competing in tournaments. In which case you'll notice that the timing for your combos might be a little bit off when trying to do it on the 360 version. Other than that, nothing I can think of.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
For the most part I'm going for resets if I FADC with Yang.. or desperate damage / stun

I do it if i can finish the round with it or to go into cr jab x3 stand jab xx sweep combo for the untechable. I dont really know any sei'ei enbu combos so what else am i going to do with the meter right?

Grakl

Just get it on both-- this upgrade is cheap. I've packed away my 360 but I would have hooked it back up had Live been free to play online or if I had an Xbone, easily. Have it on PS3, will get it on PC, and will likely re-buy on PS3 again when the retail version releases. You can never have enough fighting games!

hah, right you are

When we say terrible, we mean in the technical sense. As in, people will get randomly signed off of PSN during a match or a lobby (resulting in a loss of points in Ranked), truly horrendous lag against certain people that feels as if the characters are wading through a solid block of molasses to beat the crap out of each other, and twice I've had the game freeze on me during the online VS screen (the one where it shows both characters that were chosen and what ultras were picked) where I had to restart the PS3.

But since you said you barely play online then it really shouldn't matter unless you plan on competing in tournaments. In which case you'll notice that the timing for your combos might be a little bit off when trying to do it on the 360 version. Other than that, nothing I can think of.

oh, that lag was present in original AE as well, so I understand that. as long as all the other issues are with the online, then cool -- grabbing it tonight. thanks guys

Top Bottom