• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Guys guys guys. What the hell is up with Hugo and his Mama's potatoes? Are those tears I just saw??WHAT DID THEY DO TO THE MAN MOUNTAIN?? Smh.

Imm0rt4l

So sanford is gonna start playing viper again.
I've never played against the #1 Evil Ryu on PSN, but I've watched several of his replays. Dude looks no better than me. Well I may not be able to beat him(lets say in a long set) but I'm not impressed at all.

I just kind of expect better from the guys at the top of the leader board. Not that I expect them to be a threat to win a major, but I figured these guys would be pretty solid players. The #1 Evil Ryu though goes for a lot of gimmicks and makes some weird decisions like empty jump cr. LK > LK tatsu. Basically just doing something that's really unsafe on block without confirming it.

Cobalt, the other night when we played I got off to a really bad start. Gouken is one match up that I personally struggle with and I get really frustrated and just start running into fireballs trying to close the distance. I have a friend who plays Gouken I tried to play you like how I play him, but it wasn't working because your style is different from his. I want to run that back again some other time. It's a match up I need to work on, plus whenever I attack a Gouken on wake up and they do demon flip I just freeze because I'm not sure whether the EX demon flip auto corrected or not.
This is how I feel about psn's number 1 gouken. Watching dude play, I'd say he's ass cheeks. I've played him and had him crumble again and again even resorting to mashing ultra(to his credit, fuck a mirror match). But I see him play other players and he racks up so many wins. He's always streaking when I find him. He's even gotten up to 99 (with some strong players in the lobby) which is mind boggling considering how incredibly unremarkable of a player he is. Dude always sticks to his guns, I respect that.

kirblar

Do you guys think that Poison is bad??? Because nearly every early tier list has her very low. Personally I think that she is mid tier with Gouken but that is just me.
Poison has no comeback factor. She's an incredible "honest" character damage wise, which is a problem when you have characters like Evil Ryu taking off half of people's bars in a single combo when they get in.

That said, she definitely is very strong vs. some characters. She definitely beats Guile.

xCobalt

Cobalt, the other night when we played I got off to a really bad start. Gouken is one match up that I personally struggle with and I get really frustrated and just start running into fireballs trying to close the distance. I have a friend who plays Gouken I tried to play you like how I play him, but it wasn't working because your style is different from his. I want to run that back again some other time.

Out of curiosity, how do I play differently than your friend? Anything I could do better? Based on what I see from other gouken players, I probably utilize his normals more frequently. I'm definitely down to play a set again.

It's a match up I need to work on, plus whenever I attack a Gouken on wake up and they do demon flip I just freeze because I'm not sure whether the EX demon flip auto corrected or not.
I stand there like a complete jackass every single time Gouken does ex demon flip. I don't have this problem with any other character. Cammy, Akuma, Guy I'm all fine with. But that old man....

The best advice I can give is to not stand point blank against gouken and just down back if you're expecting an EX demon flip. Maybe stand a character space away. Some people make it really obvious that they're trying to bait demon flip and just walk against gouken's body as he's on the ground. They're expecting gouken to divekick and just land on the other side so they can punish. I like to throw in the slide every once in a while since it still maintains its tracking properties. It'll look like gouken will cross over but he'll stay on the same side and sweep.

Do you guys think that Poison is bad??? Because nearly every early tier list has her very low. Personally I think that she is mid tier with Gouken but that is just me.
I don't know anything about her, but QisTopTier said that she would be amazing, so she's bound to be mediocre to bad.

Thats what I'm guessing. I don't know why he dropped her in the first place. I remember when he bodied john choi at EVO a couple years ago, he had daigo a little shook.
Perhaps it was the age old dilemma of winning vs. playing what you love.

I stand there like a complete jackass every single time Gouken does ex demon flip. I don't have this problem with any other character. Cammy, Akuma, Guy I'm all fine with. But that old man....

lol, i have the same problem. The moment I knock him down and his does that shiet on wakeup….my brain melts.

Marz

Poison has 3 good fireballs, a DP, a jaguar kick, Rekkas, comboable overhead, amazing backdash, good normals, good anti airs, and decent walkspeed.

Still doesn't seem that good though for some reason, well see after people have put in months with her.

Onemic

Poison has 3 good fireballs, a DP, a jaguar kick, Rekkas, comboable overhead, amazing backdash, good normals, good anti airs, and decent walkspeed.

Still doesn't seem that good though for some reason, well see after people have put in months with her.

I will say, her DP is totally free to crossups.

Shouta

Poison has no comeback factor. She's an incredible "honest" character damage wise, which is a problem when you have characters like Evil Ryu taking off half of people's bars in a single combo when they get in.

That said, she definitely is very strong vs. some characters. She definitely beats Guile.

Well, Huge single combo damage isn't really the big thing. A lot of characters like that kind of E.Ryu damage outside of Raw Ultras, or even with Raw ultra in some cases. I think the biggest problem with her currently is that she feels kind of like playing in molasses. This is a general problem with most of the new characters aside from Decapre. Poison in particular though feels like most of her attacks outside of the lights are pretty sluggish and lack a certain snap to them. Her Rekka animation in particular.

She also can't frame trap really well as far as I can tell but I don't have the official frame data app. Her EX Flip is pretty good damage but too bad it only combos off one move, lol j.hk/hp, cl.hp, ex flip is like 360 damage for one bar, which is pretty nice if you can get it.

She also can't frame trap really well as far as I can tell but I don't have the official frame data app. Her EX Flip is pretty good damage but too bad it only combos off one move, lol j.hk/hp, cl.hp, ex flip is like 360 damage for one bar, which is pretty nice if you can get it.

She has this really awesome cl.mp which is +3 on block... but the second hit is crouchable.

:|

Why does Poison's forward throw do 150 damage tho?

Why does Deejay's Forward and Back throw do 120 damage while accompanied with one of the worst throw ranges in the game tho

y tho

afbusaufo

Supast4r

I feel like she dishes out better damage then people give her credit for. For example she gets better damage off of kiss by a goddess fadc into ultra 1 then ex whip of love into ultra 1. I think her weaknesses stem from awkward hit box issues and bad mobility

xCobalt

Just discovered that Rolento has a kara throw. If you do the kara with standing mk, it moves him forward about 1 block in training mode.

Supast4r

She also can't frame trap really well as far as I can tell but I don't have the official frame data app.
Based on my limited time with her so far, her frame taps stem from mixing up her ex fireball which is plus on block, with her flip kick which is plus on block but it can get interrupted, and her throw. Hence why her throw does 150 damage.

Amusing and useless Oni trivia I just discovered:
If you do f.HP at point blank range and FADC it, you dash past your opponent. It doesn't seem to happen with any of his other moves.

OceanBlue

Amusing and useless Oni trivia I just discovered:
If you do f.HP at point blank range and FADC it, you dash past your opponent. It doesn't seem to happen with any of his other moves.

A couple of characters can do that. I only remember Ryu but there's a video on it somewhere.

Sorry if this has been previously mentioned but I noticed Ultra players can't play with Arcade Edition players and vice versa.

A friend and I tried...seems like there's no way for Ultra players to switch to AE.
Aw well. :(

xCobalt

Good games sloth. That Rolento/Hugo match we had towards the beginning was hilarious. Pretty sure someone in my house is doing something on the internet so there was random lag spikes.

kirblar

Well, Huge single combo damage isn't really the big thing. A lot of characters like that kind of E.Ryu damage outside of Raw Ultras, or even with Raw ultra in some cases. I think the biggest problem with her currently is that she feels kind of like playing in molasses. This is a general problem with most of the new characters aside from Decapre. Poison in particular though feels like most of her attacks outside of the lights are pretty sluggish and lack a certain snap to them. Her Rekka animation in particular.

Hit confirming a rekka is way too difficult with her right now, imo. I wondered why in the Japanese arcades they'd only hit one rep, then I played her and I understood.

El Sloth

Banned
Good games sloth. That Rolento/Hugo match we had towards the beginning was hilarious. Pretty sure someone in my house is doing something on the internet so there was random lag spikes.
GGs! Which one? They were all pretty funny in my opinion lol.

Man, XBL feels a lot better. I had a couple of laggy matches, but nothing that felt like I was underwater.

I'm sure glad that I, uh, somehow managed to get this free month of like and, err, also somehow manged to get a magically free $15 for Ultra too.

I feel so stupid for asking this but I was reading the description on xbl about usf4 update and it says " Once you update you will no longer be able to download Super SFIV and Super SFIV Arcade Edition." Does that mean I can't download the free gold AE if I install the ultra update and play it on my crappy almost broken super disk beforehand?

xCobalt

GGs! Which one? They were all pretty funny in my opinion lol.

Man, XBL feels a lot better. I had a couple of laggy matches, but nothing that felt like I was underwater.

I'm sure glad that I, uh, somehow managed to get this free month of like and, err, also somehow manged to get a magically free $15 for Ultra too.

The one where we stood full screen for like the last 20 seconds of a round. I think you had a very tiny life lead. At the last 4 seconds, I did two dashes and EX stinger, got the life lead and timer scammed with U2. Those matches were a lot of fun lol.

El Sloth

Banned
The one where we stood full screen for like the last 20 seconds of a round. I think you had a very tiny life lead. At the last 4 seconds, I did two dashes and EX stinger, got the life lead and timer scammed with U2. Those matches were a lot of fun lol.
Oh yeah, that was amazing! That's definitely getting saved so I can show my friends later lol.

I realized too late that I should have ex backbreaker'd instead of trying to dash away from the knives

So I checked and saw I could get a one month free trial of Xbox Live Gold (with entering a card) so I sprung for it. That's eligible for their program, so Arcade Edition is downloading now!

But because of my dad's connection, I probably can't play it until tomorrow.

I feel so stupid for asking this but I was reading the description on xbl about usf4 update and it says " Once you update you will no longer be able to download Super SFIV and Super SFIV Arcade Edition." Does that mean I can't download the free gold AE if I install the ultra update and play it on my crappy almost broken super disk beforehand?

I think it means you cannot have Ultra installed as well as AE at same time.

Hit confirming a rekka is way too difficult with her right now, imo. I wondered why in the Japanese arcades they'd only hit one rep, then I played her and I understood.
How is it difficult to hit confirm her rekkas? Her links are pretty easy. The only one that I'm only hitting like 50% of the time is the overhead to cr.lp. I do it fine in training but I think I need to slow it down during actual matches.

Does Sim especially suck or it just me?

I know its partly me, I never really bothered to play him at all before and need some experience against many characters, but he just seems especially bad compared to other characters I use just as infrequent.

Top Bottom