• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

kirblar

Was Ken ever this good in SFIV? I think this is his best version.
AE might be better in a vacuum, but was probably worse in comparison to the ridiculous top-tier characters in that version.

They did a lot of good work w/ getting Ken into the more offensive playstyle that people wanted out of him in Ultra.

TheMink

AE 2012 might be better in a vacuum, but was probably worse in comparison to the ridiculous top-tier characters in that version.

They did a lot of good work w/ getting Ken into the more offensive playstyle that people wanted out of him in Ultra.

I've said this many times, but i wish they went ahead and made him more like his Xtekken version.

Being able to combo heavy SRKs off light SRKs is majorly baller.

And then being able to combo off an ex Tatsu is also incredible.

At is most basic form its awesome because you could do:

Target combo - ex Tatsu - light SRK - heavy SRK

Imagine adding FADCs on the earlier part of the combo. That crap would look FAAAANCY

They would probably have to scale damage to match the combo ability but still i just really think Ken deserves the flashiness.

I would go back to ken if he could do that.

Edit:

At the very least give him some applicable ways to get full cinematics off FADCs. Not just that counter second hit heavy SRK because no one in the history of ever has done that in a match.

kirblar

Pretty sure an anti-air LP SRK leads into a follow up SRK for more damage, and he definietly gets full animation now off his Red Focus crumples.

Beesuit

^ Ken doesn't really benefit all that much from Red Focus combos tbh. He only has about 3 moves that go into it. Crouch HP, Stand HP and Fierce dp. He's better off saving the meter for EX tatsu and regular FADC combos.

Was Ken ever this good in SFIV? I think this is his best version.
Ultra is the best version of Ken. His walk speed and RH overhead being even on block goes a long way for his game. (Use to be -4 on block before, funny thing is that he's -1 on hit lol)
AE was the next best since he had a combo-able sweep (1 frame faster startup I think) before they took it away in 2012 and gave it back again in Ultra with more recovery to compensate (but DWU makes the hard knockdowns rather pointless now imo).

Momochi literally beat all the Topanga guys to win SEAM.
Not to mention how he did it all single-handedly as well. No coaching at all, while Kazunoko had Bonchan, Fuudo and god knows who else rushing to his side almost every round.

Wow I honestly don't remember seeing Ken take top spots in tournaments.
This is Ken's first major I believe. Momochi has gotten close before but previous flaws with Ken has always let him down, namely his walk speed being ass as mud which makes footsie incredibly fuken hard when other characters can just run circles around you.

TheMink

Pretty sure an anti-air LP SRK leads into a follow up SRK for more damage, and he definietly gets full animation now off his Red Focus crumples.

Yeah thats true, but I'm more talking about his actual combos. Its so much fun to play ERyu im just trying to think of ways ken can be just as fun.

And phooey on red focus. Waste of 3 meters if you ask me. Might as well go FADC non cinematic.
I know its superficial but comboing into non cinematic just doesnt do anything for me.

I'll shut up now, probably dont know what I'm talking about.

Onemic

I wonder when NA players are gonna adjust their tier lists now for Ken. JPN players have been saying since the beginning that Ken was gonna be top 10 in Ultra while NA players, especially Ken players kept saying how he'd be/is terrible in this version.

I wonder when NA players are gonna adjust their tier lists now for Ken. JPN players have been saying since the beginning that Ken was gonna be top 10 in Ultra while NA players, especially Ken players kept saying how he'd be/is terrible in this version.
Chris (from wnf) going to eat crow? Though to be fair it is Momochi and he ran that gauntlet like a champ.

Laconic

Banned

I've been saying he's solid as all fuck since the get go. Do I not count? :(

xCobalt

To be fair, the japanese have been basing their tier list on the arcade version which was a much stronger Ken. He's definitely strong on console but I'm not sure if he's in the top 10.

Laconic

Banned
To be fair, the japanese have been basing their tier list on the arcade version which was a much stronger Ken. He's definitely strong on console but I'm not sure if he's in the top 10.

His walk speed, frames, and thus links, are much better now, though.

you think Daigo will give Ken a go?

I also like Guy's Final Fight combo with the throw at the end. Nostalgia right there
Well to be fair he has the exact same move set that he does in SFA3, and in SFA3 he could do an air throw after his back throw combo and also combo into his bushin flip in the corner..

Well to be fair he has the exact same move set that he does in SFA3, and in SFA3 he could do an air throw after his back throw combo and also combo into his bushin flip in the corner..
Oh ok. I admit that's the one game in the series I rarely played.. I played 1&2 alot when I was working at an arcade but 3 and Ex 1 where the ones I didn't get into.. But I do Miss the jump in jabs that countered a cr.fierce punch

I don't know what kind of information I downloaded in my dreams or while watching excellent adventures this morning but right now I'm on destroying on psn. From about 500pp to 1700 since last night.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I like how Turtlesnatcher barely posts about anything FGC related but whenever he does, half of it is trashing me somehow. OMG Kadey's stream is a POS, OMG the OT is a POS. The guy doesn't even do shit to contribute but talk shit on the sidelines whenever he gets a chance. If you have problems with me, come out and say it.

notworksafe

I like how Turtlesnatcher barely posts about anything FGC related but whenever he does, half of it is trashing me somehow. OMG Kadey's stream is a POS, OMG the OT is a POS. The guy doesn't even do shit to contribute but talk shit on the sidelines whenever he gets a chance. If you have problems with me, come out and say it.

Is that also the reason you removed hikaru's name from the OP?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Kbrad and Alioune are using Decapre. Not sure if shes their main now though.

Thanks. I was watching some Alioune matches. Really good stuff, I like how tempered he is with her moves, not spamming ground pound cross-ups. Decapre reminds me that I missed a creative charge character.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Is that also the reason you removed hikaru's name from the OP?

If he has any problems with that he can speak to me directly. If you're going to call me out, do it. Instead of saying "certain stream." It's not like your scrub ass plays in it anyway so it shouldn't even apply to you.

I need some help with the dee jay match up, I play ken btw. I just don't know how to approach this character I tried playing the matchup like it was guile it was useless since he's kick special goes thru fireballs so what do I do?!

On my xbl if anyone interested in sparring later on

If he has any problems with that he can speak to me directly. If you're going to call me out, do it. Instead of saying "certain stream." It's not like your scrub ass plays in it anyway so it shouldn't even apply to you.

To be perfectly transparent, my original post was in the spirit of the thread and what I, personally, found to be bad about some streams on top of some of the many other overlay/layout issues already posted. I specifically didn't mention yours because it wouldn't serve a purpose and is, in essence, a general dislike I have about some streams anyway.

My second response was because someone else actually mentioned it and I figured there's no sense in "hiding" it. But if you're going to have this kind of shitty attitude about it, then I won't even bother trying to make nice. Your posts and the posts/comments of others both here and elsewhere speak enough about that.

BossRush

So when Ultra comes out (on pc I mean) I want to play two other characters aside from my main, makoto, to sorta round out who I play. Makoto covers mid range. and Hugo who I plan to play covers close range. Who else should I pick up?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
is there an archive for SEAM? I missed everything.

They are actually restreaming it now.

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters
To be perfectly transparent, my original post was in the spirit of the thread and what I, personally, found to be bad about some streams on top of some of the many other overlay/layout issues already posted. I specifically didn't mention yours because it wouldn't serve a purpose and is, in essence, a general dislike I have about some streams anyway.

My second response was because someone else actually mentioned it and I figured there's no sense in "hiding" it. But if you're going to have this kind of shitty attitude about it, then I won't even bother trying to make nice. Your posts and the posts/comments of others both here and elsewhere speak enough about that.

Actually you did specifically mentioned it. You did not say it directly but you "specifically" mentioned it. But that's okay. My stream is and was never meant for people like you. You don't like it, simply don't watch. But don't expect me to sit back when I see comments made about it. Especially when you do not play in it nor had nothing to do with it ever.

So when Ultra comes out (on pc I mean) I want to play two other characters aside from my main, makoto, to sorta round out who I play. Makoto covers mid range. and Hugo who I plan to play covers close range. Who else should I pick up?
I'd say a shoto. Nice and all around so you can handle shitty matchups.

Onemic

Who'd be a good shoto to use? I was thinking ken but his recovery on fireballs isn't good unless they fixed that in ultra. I could always go E.Ryu but everyone goes him, same for Akuma.

No one plays Akuma. And just because Ken has worse recovery on his firballs, doesnt mean he's bad. His design is meant that his fireballs arent supposed to be as good as other shotos because his offense is really solid. He'd be too strong if they made his Fireball as good as Ryu.

No one plays Akuma. And just because Ken has worse recovery on his firballs, doesnt mean he's bad. His design is meant that his fireballs arent supposed to be as good as other shotos because his offense is really solid. He'd be too strong if they made his Fireball as good as Ryu.
Dat far s.HP special canceable buff though allows him to combo into tatsu right? That's good.
I don't really play Akuma but I don't remember that being there before

Who'd be a good shoto to use? I was thinking ken but his recovery on fireballs isn't good unless they fixed that in ultra. I could always go E.Ryu but everyone goes him, same for Akuma.
Use any of them really. But I'd recommend Evil Ryu. If you don't wanna use him then go with normal Ryu. And there's way less Akuma players than Ryu or Ken players.

Sagat, Guile, Deejay, and Akuma all have fireballs that recover fast. Then comes Ryu, E. Ryu, Oni, and Ken. Guile recovers in 2/3 of the time Ryu does. Crazy fast, really.

k_hop

HI y'all, AE PC / PS3 player here who hasn't tried Ultra yet. How is Cody in the new iteration? Does his improved reversal EX criminal upper help his crumby wake-up game or is it still too easy to stuff with a meaty?

Top Bottom