• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

xCobalt

Sagat, Guile, Deejay, and Akuma all have fireballs that recover fast. Then comes Ryu, E. Ryu, Oni, and Ken. Guile recovers in 2/3 of the time Ryu does. Crazy fast, really.

Gouken is up there somewhere too. A bit slower than Guile. You should also take into account the startup of the moves. Cody has really good recovery but most of the frames are in the startup. This in turn gives him good frame advantage after rocks.

Renekton

Of all the Shotos, I think Ken is the best to start with. His combos are comparably easier to execute than other characters, his links and karas have generous execution windows, he has a go-to spam move with c.MK.

Some people say he tails off at the higher level of play, but I'll never reach that tier so yolo.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
As much as people have been complaining about delayed wake up I actually haven't seen much use of it in high level play. Kazunoko is definitely making use of red focus. A lot of his wins were last second red focus combos.

bon

I've barely played SF4 since the original release and I was never that good to begin with. Got Ultra today and I'm losing horribly online.

Can you guys direct me to a good tutorial or something to get me up to speed on the finer points of the game?

Onemic

As much as people have been complaining about delayed wake up I actually haven't seen much use of it in high level play. Kazunoko is definitely making use of red focus. A lot of his wins were last second red focus combos.

Who is really complaining about DWU? So far the only people I've heard actively complain about it are stream monsters that dont want to think when they get a knockdown.

xCobalt

People just aren't used to it yet. They aren't used to punishing dp fadc either. Hopefully by the time EVO comes around it will be more ingrained.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Who is really complaining about DWU? So far the only people I've heard actively complain about it are stream monsters that dont want to think when they get a knockdown.

A lot of people are. Wao for one. It's funny how vortex and mixups are supposed to be nerfed because of it but it doesn't seem like it is based on the play so far.

Maybe everyone is just so used to dealing with wakeup shenanigans that they just accept it, haha.

I actually haven't used it a whole lot, and when I have it just ended up getting me into trouble, but that's mostly because I haven't been prepared to do anything after I use it. I'll use DWU and then just sit there ready to block even though the opponent completely whiffed. And the opponent sits there surprised that they missed and then we just look lovingly into each others eyes because we had no backup plan. Then buttons start getting pressed. I usually end up on the losing end.

I do however use DWU on Ibuki almost every time I get knocked down and I do have a plan of action for what's next. That's probably because of my extreme hatred for the character.

Oh and I've gotten soooooooo many cheap ass wins with Evil Ryu using red focus. Many matches I should've lost but ended up winning because of the easiest 480 damage I can think of.

Onemic

A lot of people are. Wao for one. It's funny how vortex and mixups are supposed to be nerfed because of it but it doesn't seem like it is based on the play so far.

Ya, Ibuki has had an alternative for her vortex to DWU since day 1, and now Akuma players have an alternative as well. I'm not sure about other characters though. (Deejay got nothing for his shitty ass vortex lol)

Yes I know it's late, but does anybody want to play me? Hopefully a someone from the East coast(or Midwest)so the lag won't be so bad, or maybe one of you west coasters that I've played with in the past and our connection has always been decent with each other? As always, I can play on either console(for now).

I think I spent 3-4 more angry hours playing ranked last night and as you can guess, it wasn't the most pleasant experience for me. Rather play someone more familiar so I can contain the rage from playing this game.

Yes I know it's late, but does anybody want to play me? Hopefully a someone from the East coast(or Midwest)so the lag won't be so bad, or maybe one of you west coasters that I've played with in the past and our connection has always been decent with each other? As always, I can play on either console(for now).

I think I spent 3-4 more angry hours playing ranked last night and as you can guess, it wasn't the most pleasant experience for me. Rather play someone more familiar so I can contain the rage from playing this game.
I don't know if you're still playing and I'm also west coast, but I'll give it a shot.

Marz

Guys I think Infiltration is back in serious mode. Destroyed Gamerbee and Poongko in separate tournaments both with a 6-0 coming out of losers.

He had a douple perfect on Poongko too lmao.

Dark horse pick to win Evo this year. He's added Chun Li to his list of characters as well he can hard counter everyone if he wants to.

Guys I think Infiltration is back in serious mode. Destroyed Gamerbee and Poongko in separate tournaments both with a 6-0 coming out of losers.

Dark horse pick to win Evo this year. He's added Chun Li to his list of characters as well he can hard counter everyone if he wants to.
Infiltration will probably always be a god. I would never bet against him. His Chun is so freaking good, and he utilizes all of her tools. He does a lot of shit I never see players do.

Grakl

which tournaments?

GGs Rice-Eater. I'm starving though, so until next time.

If you couldn't tell, any and all logic goes out the window if I'm fighting Yun. I'm doing moves and pressing every button on my damn controller.

OceanBlue

GGs Rice-Eater. I'm starving though, so until next time.

If you couldn't tell, any and all logic goes out the window if I'm fighting Yun. I'm doing moves and pressing every button on my damn controller.

Haha, that's how I feel against the twins too. I wish I knew how to play against divekick characters. I go crazy in neutral against them because their offenses are so scary.

Yang seems like a lot of fun to play as, but he's so scary to play against. I can't even imagine what I'm supposed to do against Yang as Sakura. I'm terrified of letting Yang get into cr.MK range, but he has such a fast walkspeed that I can't not press buttons to stop him from walking forward, and that exposes me to divekicks, st.LK/st.MP counterpoking, or even his sweep (which has way more range than I expected). Plus, once he gets in that range, his rekka pressure is scary and he has a command grab! His walkspeed and divekick also let him get back in if you become scared of his rekkas. Maybe characters with stronger fireballs and a no-meter reversal like Ryu might give him more trouble though. He seems like a fun character to pick up though! :D

What's the general idea behind stopping divekicks? I've never been able to figure it out. I've been told that I need to neutral jump more when they neutral jump. Is dealing with their forward jump a guessing game? I feel like cr.HP is risky because if I time it for jump-ins, I get hit by divekicks, but if I st.LP I get hit by j.MK or j.HP. Edit: Actually, the more I think about it, the more I feel that it wasn't forward jumps that were getting me, but neutral jumps. Still, any advice is appreciated!

GG Mango, what can I say, I got bodied. When you used Rolento, I had no idea what to do against some of those moves. I haven't played that many good Rolento's and the ones I have didn't abuse that one off the wall move on wake up. I've heard it's not a good move to use on wake up but I don't know what to do against it. I started getting the hang of it at the end but you stopped playing him. I guess he can go to the air or do that rolling move, but both should be pretty punishable from what I've seen and heard..

Yun and Evil Ryu are the only two characters I play, so that's why I didn't use anybody else until the end when I decided to dust off my old Seth that I used to use as a secondary but hardly ever play anymore. I sort of just went ham at the end, but that didn't quite work out for me.

Vice

Haha, that's how I feel against the twins too. I wish I knew how to play against divekick characters. I go crazy in neutral against them because their offenses are so scary.

Yang seems like a lot of fun to play as, but he's so scary to play against. I can't even imagine what I'm supposed to do against Yang as Sakura. I'm terrified of letting Yang get into cr.MK range, but he has such a fast walkspeed that I can't not press buttons to stop him from walking forward, and that exposes me to divekicks, st.LK/st.MP counterpoking, or even his sweep (which has way more range than I expected). Plus, once he gets in that range, his rekka pressure is scary and he has a command grab! His walkspeed and divekick also let him get back in if you become scared of his rekkas. Maybe characters with stronger fireballs and a no-meter reversal like Ryu might give him more trouble though. He seems like a fun character to pick up though! :D

What's the general idea behind stopping divekicks? I've never been able to figure it out. I've been told that I need to neutral jump more when they neutral jump. Is dealing with their forward jump a guessing game? I feel like cr.HP is risky because if I time it for jump-ins, I get hit by divekicks, but if I st.LP I get hit by j.MK or j.HP. Edit: Actually, the more I think about it, the more I feel that it wasn't forward jumps that were getting me, but neutral jumps. Still, any advice is appreciated!

Focus attacks and focus backdash will blowup bad divekicks form the twins. Depending on your character, crouch teching with either crouching medium punch of heavy punch will beat a lot of divekick setups.

Prototype

Links? Would love to see this.

GG Mango, what can I say, I got bodied. When you used Rolento, I had no idea what to do against some of those moves. I haven't played that many good Rolento's and the ones I have didn't abuse that one off the wall move on wake up. I've heard it's not a good move to use on wake up but I don't know what to do against it. I started getting the hang of it at the end but you stopped playing him. I guess he can go to the air or do that rolling move, but both should be pretty punishable from what I've seen and heard..

Yun and Evil Ryu are the only two characters I play, so that's why I didn't use anybody else until the end when I decided to dust off my old Seth that I used to use as a secondary but hardly ever play anymore. I sort of just went ham at the end, but that didn't quite work out for me.
If there's a specific matchup you want, I don't mind sticking to it. I usually switch once I've lost twice. Except with Hugo and Rose tonight. I just wasn't feeling Rose, but I wish I would've played Hugo more. He's mad fun.

Rolento's off the wall move (Delta escape) is a garbage wakeup option in the corner. Mid screen, it's ok. I recommend immediately chasing me down and once I hit the wall just neutral or forward jump and use whatever air to air you want. You won't hit me if I'm holding backwards but you'll prevent me from going forward and over your head. You'll effectively be pushing me back to the corner.

The roll you can definitely punish with a sweep. The backflip leading up to the roll is invincible for a few frames, but can be option selected.

The dude is free as fuck once you get him in the corner.

So when Ultra comes out (on pc I mean) I want to play two other characters aside from my main, makoto, to sorta round out who I play. Makoto covers mid range. and Hugo who I plan to play covers close range. Who else should I pick up?
Dhalsim for long-range.
chansub-global-emoticon-60aa1af305e32d49-23x30.png

Hakan also ought to be a good grappler if Hugo doesn't pan out for you.

Mokubba

As someone who doesn't really play but likes to watch, can someone breakdown Gen's changes in ultra.

I just finished watching Xian vs Tokido in the South East Asia championship and it was a blow up compared to AE 2012.

Onemic

Focus attacks and focus backdash will blowup bad divekicks form the twins. Depending on your character, crouch teching with either crouching medium punch of heavy punch will beat a lot of divekick setups.

Also be aware of when the twins do a bad divekick(A DK that hits above the knee on block). They'll be at 0 or negative so you can grab, jab out, or reversal them if they try to continue their offense. The biggest thing is knowing when to press a button even when they do a bad DK because the extra 2 landing frames means that you cant hit a button as soon as you see the bad DK as nothing will come out.

Took a week and half off to help my sister with her surgery, and man, amazing how some time off affects your execution. Its back to normal now, but was pretty ugly at first.

Still really torn on double ultra matchups. Really useful at times, but the damage decrease is disappointing, especially the loss of chip. First world problems...

Is it possible we could form an endless lobby? I would like to play with you guys I'm xbl. Idk during the night would be cool if y'all guys are available

nded

Is Rolento not being able to adjust his wall jump trajectory some kind of bug? He could do that in every other game he's been in, including SFxT.

SimonA

Neo Member
Got AE with GWG, upgraded to Ultra but I'm still getting the AE dashboard cover/Intro and Title Screen. Is Capcom gonna patch this up when the disc version is released or not really? Should have waited for disc version.

Got AE with GWG, upgraded to Ultra but I'm still getting the AE dashboard cover/Intro and Title Screen. Is Capcom gonna patch this up when the disc version is released or not really? Should have waited for disc version.

Par for the course with SFIV updates.

Although I'm kinda surprised you're that concerned, since it's only the intro and title screen that are affected by this issue.

Top Bottom