• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Got AE with GWG, upgraded to Ultra but I'm still getting the AE dashboard cover/Intro and Title Screen. Is Capcom gonna patch this up when the disc version is released or not really? Should have waited for disc version.
25 extra bucks for an updated title screen?
Huh, only available with EX walljump. That's stupid.
Yeah it's dumb. The different strengths should've made him go different distances.
ggs. Watching those nemo vids paid off with the silly left/right mixup in the corner lol
Some new Rolento tech? Sounds like you'll put yourself in the corner if you screw up though.

Zack117

Banned
First post here on GAF. Such an honor to finally get to be part of this community.

So, I've started playing SF4 two weeks ago with a friend of mine. Currently, my preferred character is Ryu but after pre-ordering the retail version of USF4 and seeing Poison's gameplay and design, I think this is the character I want to "main", if one can possibly say that at my low skill level.

So my question is, would you guys recommend Poison to a beginner?

xCobalt

25 extra bucks for an updated title screen?

Yeah it's dumb. The different strengths should've made him go different distances.

Some new Rolento tech? Sounds like you'll put yourself in the corner if you screw up though.

Forward throw in the corner then do early jump fierce and you'll land behind them. Do a late jump fierce and you'll land in front. It's pretty tough to avoid since it messes up the inputs and dashes will often go the wrong way.

Another ambiguous setup can be done at midscreen. Do backthrow, dash twice then jump fierce. It doesn't hit meaty but its really tricky.

Check out this twitch archive for all the tech I've been stealing.

Forward throw in the corner then do early jump fierce and you'll land behind them. Do a late jump fierce and you'll land in front. It's pretty tough to avoid since it messes up the inputs and dashes will often go the wrong way.

Another ambiguous setup can be done at midscreen. Do backthrow, dash twice then jump fierce. It doesn't hit meaty but its really tricky.

Check out this twitch archive for all the tech I've been stealing.

I actually have been doing that midscreen one. I'll have to try the corner version and check out some of that Nemo stuff later.

Negaduck

Recently started Messing around with hawk. I've always had a problem with 720's in this game, never any other game with 720's just this one. I always end up getting just an ex. Is there any sort of trick for this game or am I maybe doing them too quickly?

xCobalt

I actually have been doing that midscreen one. I'll have to try the corner version and check out some of that Nemo stuff later.

I figured out another setup with backthrow as well. After backthrow, you can do heavy roll and be right beside them. It leaves him at +1 or so I think. You can go straight into a throw again or just continue pressure. Haven't seen anyone else use it but it seems pretty good. There are some other stuff I'm trying to figure out too, specifically safer way to start the pogo mixups.

First post here on GAF. Such an honor to finally get to be part of this community.

So, I've started playing SF4 two weeks ago with a friend of mine and fell in love with it. Really. In love. I'm ashamed for not giving this franchise a chance much earlier and have to say that this game is among the best videogames I've played so far at pretty much every aspect. Oh, and I played some.
Since it's my first 2D fighting game (mostly played DoA, SC and SSB at a casual level with friends), I decided to begin with Ryu as he appealed most to me. I really enjoy playing him so far and have already made myself familiar with some of the basic gameplay mechanics of the game (OS, cancels, buffering, FADC etc.). But after pre-ordering the retail version of USF4 and seeing Poison's gameplay and design, I think this is the character I want to "main", if one can possibly say that at my low skill level.

At the moment I can consistently perform every basic move with Ryu, anti-air, do some easy combos and somewhat half-consistently FADC into Ultras.
From what I've seen so far, Poison seems to be quite similar to Ryu. She has an interesting variety of Fireballs with fast recovery for serious pressure, some sort of Shoryuken and even a Fireball Ultra. Like I said, that's what a beginner could see.

I got myself a cheap copy of SSF4 which should arrive tomorrow for hopefully a more lively online experience until August 8th. The digital upgrade to Ultra seems really attractive, but I think I'll wait for the retail version as I love to have more costumes at my disposal. Not very pragmatic, I know. Maybe you guys can change my mind by hardly recommending me this character.

Me and my friend are currently quiet ambitious about this game. I know it's going to be a long road to become even somewhat near "OK" at SF but I think to have the right mindset and attitude for this game. Defeat is part of the game, but I always try to figure out why it happened and what I could do better the next time.
IMO, a beginner should pick whatever character excites him/her to practice and excel. Nothing else matters.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

So, I've started playing SF4 two weeks ago with a friend of mine. Currently, my preferred character is Ryu but after pre-ordering the retail version of USF4 and seeing Poison's gameplay and design, I think this is the character I want to "main", if one can possibly say that at my low skill level.

She is basically a different take on the staple fireball, dragon punch characters. I wouldn't say she's a beginner character but she using her can help develop your skills in various areas.

Where is Eva? I feel like playing.

zlatko

Banned
I caved in. I was going to wait until PC version, but couldn't resist after the new Excellent Adventures. I wanted to main Rolento, but Mike Ross on that booty smash episode with viking Hugo has me wanting to main him. He just looks like a blast.

I'm back on tomorrow since I'm downloading AE on Live now then Ultra. Blah. So slow.

Xbox Live: Outlaw Slevin

Add me GAF I'm hella free. 1K BP for life or death by Lord Sirlin. :)

Also, I think it should be somewhere in the OT, or a common response to others. I've watched the following video maybe 4 or 5 times, and it made a huge difference to me. I don't care if I win anymore, and it motivates me to do MY best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nSodg-HTU&list=PL13KoUNKKsK38jZFwaQhMUO7lgcCl1IYA

If you're new to SF4, or fighting games, watching that video should ignite you to bring all you have.

Grakl

Ggs man. To much lag though :( where are you? I'm in in southern California.

ggs. yeah, only reason I switched to honda (ryu is my 'lag tester' or whatever) was cuz of lag, I'm over in massachusetts -- probably why

I'm having way better luck for no lag with randoms than gaffers, weird

Supast4r

Kazunoko already won EVO.

Hey and welcome to GAF :) I would recommend Poison to a beginner because she has a lot of similar characteristics that other shotos (Characters who are similar normals/special moves to Ryu) have such as a projectile to control space and a invincible attack. I would recommend looking up Combofiend's video guide on Poison if you are curious. Shoryuken.com/forums and eventhubs.com are good places for help as well.

ggs. yeah, only reason I switched to honda (ryu is my 'lag tester' or whatever) was cuz of lag, I'm over in massachusetts -- probably why

I'm having way better luck for no lag with randoms than gaffers, weird
Are you wireless or wired?

I can usually play people on the other side of the country and it'll be ok. I'm wired though.

Grakl

Are you wireless or wired?

I can usually play people on the other side of the country and it'll be ok.

wired, hah

a lot of random matches I'm playing are pretty much lag free, but the two gaffers I've played haven't been -- two isn't too many people, I'm sure I'll find someone who works fine

BizzyBum

Yeah, it just depends. When I play Cobalt we usually have a great connection but tonight it got a little laggy at the end and it just throws off your game.

Shouta

I had mostly solid PSN matches tonight. Finally got back to my old PP levels from before I rageplayed with a broken pad, lol.

Top Bottom