• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Sim's great when you can keep someone out.
They always get in. Always.
image.php

Why does the 2 bar connection guy keep joining my game. Can't he see why I'm kicking him.. Btw anyone up for some games on psn?

I'm trying to get this overhead to cr.lp link to work with Rolento, but it's hard. I can only get this shit like half the time in training. I probably don't have a chance in a match. I'll be trying it anyway though. It seems like it will be important.

xCobalt

I'm trying to get this overhead to cr.lp link to work with Rolento, but it's hard. I can only get this shit like half the time in training. I probably don't have a chance in a match. I'll be trying it anyway though. It seems like it will be important.

It's hard to use since its range is pretty ass. I've been in the lab trying to figure out some meaty setups in the corner, specifically after an EX PC.

Malalaw

I find the jump in medium kick, crouch low kick into ex pc then ultra is cash.

Edit: 4v4 elimination lobby up. Add me on PSN if you want in. Deadlytaco

It's hard to use since its range is pretty ass. I've been in the lab trying to figure out some meaty setups in the corner, specifically after an EX PC.
I actually get counter hits with it frequently, which is why I'm determined to get this.

On another note, I feel so bad for Rolento players when I get them in the corner. I know the pain :(

xCobalt

I actually get counter hits with it frequently, which is why I'm determined to get this.

On another note, I feel so bad for Rolento players when I get them in the corner. I know the pain :(

Depending on the range, you could just link off of standing lk. It starts up faster and can cancel into EX PC.

Depending on the range, you could just link off of standing lk. It starts up faster and can cancel into EX PC.
I was using that at first but the problem was that I don't think you can link into cr.mk. I could link into other normals that will link to cr.mk, but sometimes I end up too far away.

Maybe I should just focus on the lk link instead though since it's easier. God help me if I miss it though, since I'll already be buffering the ex patriot circle. The other link I can actually confirm, it's just way harder.

Edit: actually I think I'll be able to do the lk link with extra buttons, I'll just have to make sure I'm closer. Thanks for that. I probably wouldn't have revisited it otherwise.

Erigu

All, added a request on Capcom unity to make the disc truly feature complete
If you have a moment maybe we can be heard on this one - I know its a cosmetic issue, but it would be good to have a 100% content complete disc.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/street_...-ultra-disc-truly-complete-reply-if-you-agree
As much as I'd like for that to happen (hell, I'd also want all of the contents from the vanilla version, gallery and all), I can't imagine they'd agree to change their plans regarding the extra costumes at this point.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The game needs a new look to reflect a biggest update yet. New character select screen for starters. And it needs an actual title screen. Maybe this will be the retail version.

Why is Poison's hair below shit tier on her alt 1? It's fucking hideous.

Also, today has been real up and down. I've beaten some damn good players and I've lost to some pretty mediocre ones. And I keep losing to really shitty Decapre's.

Malalaw

Why is Poison's hair below shit tier on her alt 1? It's fucking hideous.

Also, today has been real up and down. I've beaten some damn good players and I've lost to some pretty mediocre ones. And I keep losing to really shitty Decapre's.

You too huh? I'm taking a break right now. Wanted to throw my fightstick out the window earlier for some of the matches I had. Lol

Laconic

Banned
Get ready to cry

All five of my stages of grieving over the state of SF4 Elena, were stage two.

I was never one to ignore the obvious, so stage one was a non-starter. Stage two worked for me, so I stuck with it.

who the fuck gave the ok on elana whining every time she's hit

It is best part of her character design. And I hate modern anime and all of its tropes.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Nothing feels worse than dropping a swag combo and losing a game you know you had in the bag against someone really good. Feels bad man.

Grakl

according to the mango sentinel up there you play a solid gouken, do you have any tips or anywhere you can point me for some fundamental gouken info

Onemic

All five of my stages of grieving over the state of SF4 Elena, were stage two.

I was never one to ignore the obvious, so stage one was a non-starter. Stage two worked for me, so I stuck with it.

About where I'm at with her now. Unfortunately, I went through stage 1.

Shouta

guys how do you play gouken

I think he's either going in or playing full range zoning. I don't think he really is a mid-ranger like other characters. So learn his fireball game at long range and learn his mix-up when you get in close involving the demon flip.

xCobalt

according to the mango sentinel up there you play a solid gouken, do you have any tips or anywhere you can point me for some fundamental gouken info

I think in order to play an effective gouken, you really need to learn how to use all of his normals. With a good understanding of his normals + his fireball game you'll be able to keep out a lot of characters. Starting with his anti airs, his longest reaching aa is probably his far standing HP, this will easily catch characters who have dive kicks or try to empty jump. If they jump a little closer, you'll need to resort to crouching hp. However, opponents who have a vertical jump in attack (Bison's jump HP or Seth's jump d+HK), will often beat cr.hp. In that case, you can use EX tatsu which is a really good aa. It has an extremely long range that reaches as far out as far standing hp. Even though it costs 1 meter, there aren't many attacks that will beat it and will send the opponent full screen. If the opponent's jump in is a bit closer, you can use cr.mk. I don't use this move very often but it's able to cover some options that cr.hp can't. Another good anti air he has is close standing hk. It hits straight above his head so it'll catch people who attempt to cross you up in the neutral. Try and get used to the range and spacing for each of his anti airs.

His mid range game is decent at best. His cr.mp, far standing hk, cr.lk and cr.hk are really good normals. His cr.hk is one of the best sweeps in the game. It's -3 on block but it pushes the opponent out so they can't punish it. You need to weary around grapplers and characters with 2f supers though. Once you get in closer, his close mp and cr.lp are really good normals. Close mp has a lot of frame advantage so you can set up some frame traps with it.

Another tip would be to avoid relying on his reversals too much. Most gouken players who get knocked down resort to either: EX tatsu/counter/demon flip or backdash. In Ultra, using his EX tatsu is safer now that it has a lower hitbox but you'll need 3 bars to make it safe. Also, try not to resort to gimmicky stuff you may see online. I still see gouken players charge up a fireball and follow it with a full screen demon flip or palm.

Finally, take a look at this youtube channel. The most important vids are probably the safe jump ones. A few of the vids aren't very useful and are gimmicky at best but overall a very solid resource.

Grakl

I think in order to play an effective gouken, you really need to learn how to use all of his normals. With a good understanding of his normals + his fireball game you'll be able to keep out a lot of characters. Starting with his anti airs, his longest reaching aa is probably his far standing HP, this will easily catch characters who have dive kicks or try to empty jump. If they jump a little closer, you'll need to resort to crouching hp. However, opponents who have a vertical jump in attack (Bison's jump HP or Seth's jump d+HK), will often beat cr.hp. In that case, you can use EX tatsu which is a really good aa. It has an extremely long range that reaches as far out as far standing hp. Even though it costs 1 meter, there aren't many attacks that will beat it and will send the opponent full screen. If the opponent's jump in is a bit closer, you can use cr.mk. I don't use this move very often but it's able to cover some options that cr.hp can't. Another good anti air he has is close standing hk. It hits straight above his head so it'll catch people who attempt to cross you up in the neutral. Try and get used to the range and spacing for each of his anti airs.

His mid range game is decent at best. His cr.mp, far standing hk, cr.lk and cr.hk are really good normals. His cr.hk is one of the best sweeps in the game. It's -3 on block but it pushes the opponent out so they can't punish it. You need to weary around grapplers and characters with 2f supers though. Once you get in closer, his close mp and cr.lp are really good normals. Close mp has a lot of frame advantage so you can set up some frame traps with it.

Another tip would be to avoid relying on his reversals too much. Most gouken players who get knocked down resort to either: EX tatsu/counter/demon flip or backdash. In Ultra, using his EX tatsu is safer now that it has a lower hitbox but you'll need 3 bars to make it safe. Also, try not to resort to gimmicky stuff you may see online. I still see gouken players charge up a fireball and follow it with a full screen demon flip or palm.

Finally, take a look at this youtube channel. The most important vids are probably the safe jump ones. A few of the vids aren't very useful and are gimmicky at best but overall a very solid resource.

awesome, thanks a ton -- I'm also using this video to learn a little more about gouken's zoning and footsies. I'll definitely check out that channel you linked, too

when talking about anti-airs, how does far standing MK fare? it looks like it reaches far, and seems pretty good against divekick characters, but a little testing makes it seem like it has a tiny hitbox, and far standing HP seems better as a result

xCobalt

awesome, thanks a ton -- I'm also using this video to learn a little more about gouken's zoning and footsies. I'll definitely check out that channel you linked, too

when talking about anti-airs, how does far standing MK fare? it looks like it reaches far, and seems pretty good against divekick characters, but a little testing makes it seem like it has a tiny hitbox, and far standing HP seems better as a result

I rarely ever use it. It's only good against empty jumps.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I feel like Gouken's midrange is pretty good. I've always seen Gouken as like a motion Chun Li. Godly midrange normals but not a lot of damage conversion, shitty antiair, and a ridiculously fast forward dash.

xCobalt

I feel like Gouken's midrange is pretty good. I've always seen Gouken as like a motion Chun Li. Godly midrange normals but not a lot of damage conversion, shitty antiair, and a ridiculously fast forward dash.

Why do you think he has shitty antiair? He probably has one of the best imo.

Out of curiosity, how do I play differently than your friend? Anything I could do better? Based on what I see from other gouken players, I probably utilize his normals more frequently. I'm definitely down to play a set again.

Mainly how you two approach the wake up situation, when you're knocked down and when your opponent is knocked down. He tends to almost always go for demon flip dive kick, you on the other hand kept going for cross ups and meaties. I wasn't using DWU at all and you still weren't using demon flip much. When I have you two knocked down, he tends to do wake up with something like counter or EX tatsu. You blocked most of the time and I don't think I hit you at all with any of my ambiguous jump in attempts after a sweep.

Other minor differences is that you burned meter to FADC to maintain pressure which he rarely does. You woke up with jab a lot against me which caught me off guard, he'll do delayed tech instead. As for the counter, he only does it up close and never fishes for my far reaching normals the way you did you used it. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Immortal, this seems to be a PSN thing lol. Since the 360 has become the pseudo standard for SF4, most top players use that console and I think more advance and intermediate players are also on that platform. From what you, me, and Beef said, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the top 5 of every character on the PS3 version were full of average players going for every gimmick and trick in the book rather than winning with good fundamentals. Almost makes me want to grind so I can try to claim that spot for myself lol since I'm not much different than those guys.

xCobalt

Mainly how you two approach the wake up situation, when you're knocked down and when your opponent is knocked down. He tends to almost always go for demon flip dive kick, you on the other hand kept going for cross ups and meaties. I wasn't using DWU at all and you still weren't using demon flip much. When I have you two knocked down, he tends to do wake up with something like counter or EX tatsu. You blocked most of the time and I don't think I hit you at all with any of my ambiguous jump in attempts after a sweep.

Other minor differences is that you burned meter to FADC to maintain pressure which he rarely does. You woke up with jab a lot against me which caught me off guard, he'll do delayed tech instead. As for the counter, he only does it up close and never fishes for my far reaching normals the way you did you used it. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Immortal, this seems to be a PSN thing lol. Since the 360 has become the pseudo standard for SF4, most top players use that console and I think more advance and intermediate players are also on that platform. From what you, me, and Beef said, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the top 5 of every character on the PS3 version were full of average players going for every gimmick and trick in the book rather than winning with good fundamentals. Almost makes me want to grind so I can try to claim that spot for myself lol since I'm not much different than those guys.

Thanks for the insight. Ever since they buffed goukens jab, I've definitely been using it too much. Never had the freedom of a 3 frame jab before haha. It has a really good hitbox too compared to other jabs.

Grakl

Thanks for the insight. Ever since they buffed goukens jab, I've definitely been using it too much. Never had the freedom of a 3 frame jab before haha. It has a really good hitbox too compared to other jabs.
doing any jabs into l.palm strike? feels so good, lol

Top Bottom