• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

I pick W-Ultra for Blanka because both have uses. U1 is short range, but has 27f of invincibility. U2 hits everywhere, but needs space to activate. Between the two, I have a guaranteed chip kill in most situations when I remember to use it. Both have great utility in different situations.

Difference is Canada isn't on the other side of the world :p

I live in Toronto, which is an hour drive from New York, It's not that misleading to just say Im EC.
As long as we agree it is misleading. ;)

Anyway, it is weird that you have so many bad connections. I am in Colorado, and our wires play fine together for the most part. Are you on Rogers?

I pick W-Ultra for Blanka because both have uses. U1 is short range, but has 27f of invincibility. U2 hits everywhere, but needs space to activate. Between the two, I have a guaranteed chip kill in most situations when I remember to use it. Both have great utility in different situations.
Yeah Blanka is a character I would definitely use UW with. Since you're probably hitting both ultras raw, you're getting a ton of damage. I still can't block his ambiguous U1. I guess that's why is ambiguous though.

Yeah Blanka is a character I would definitely use UW with. Since you're probably hitting both ultras raw, you're getting a ton of damage. I still can't block his ambiguous U1. I guess that's why is ambiguous though.
I can't really set up the oki U1, though I would love a video that teaches me how.

I have nailed a few people with a trick I learned from T SRAI, where you hold back for 2 seconds, hit forward + KKK, back, forward + PPP so you are doing Blanka's Surprise Forward into U1. Since I almost always go for a throw after Surprise Forward, U1 hits. Unfortunately, I haven't mastered hitting with the follow-up roll, so I get very little damage right now. :p

On the note of practicing stuff, does anyone know which CPU AI character+setting results in jump-in attacks the most often? I don't want the AI to just spam jump attacks, but I need to practice anti-airing with Blanka since his tools are so much weaker than the other characters I have played thus far.

El Sloth

Banned
Question to Gouken players: does his mp fireball normally hit Poison standing? I just got hit by one, from a little less than fullscreen even, and I wasn't sure if it was because I got caught pressing a button that extends her hurtbox upwards or if she's just that "tall" for some reason.

xCobalt

Got a new Gouken vid! Basically the quick rise/non quick rise stuff I was talking about a couple of days ago. Corner only and character specific. Works against Guile, Ibuki, Juri, Cammy, Blanka, Zangief, Rufus, Rose, and Yang. Doesn't seem to be dependent on reversal startup but rather amount of frames the character is knocked down for or maybe their hurtbox.

Question to Gouken players: does his mp fireball normally hit Poison standing? I just got hit by one, from a little less than fullscreen even, and I wasn't sure if it was because I got caught pressing a button that extends her hurtbox upwards or if she's just that "tall" for some reason.

Just tested it and max range for mp fireball is about half screen

Grakl

Got a new Gouken vid! Basically the quick rise/non quick rise stuff I was talking about a couple of days ago. Corner only and character specific. Works against Guile, Ibuki, Juri, Cammy, Blanka, Zangief, Rufus, Rose, and Yang. Doesn't seem to be dependent on reversal startup but rather amount of frames the character is knocked down for or maybe their hurtbox.

does that work on only a jabxxl.palm, or would having multiple jabs into l.palm change the spacing to where you get hit by a reversal when you do a dive kick?

El Sloth

Banned
Just tested it and max range for mp fireball is about half screen
I must be bugging then. My bad. Unfortunately I don't have to reply anymore to go and check. Anyways, I'm thinking it was maybe because I was doing her fireball since she seems to raise her hand above her head. That might have been it.

I swear I didn't dream getting hit by mp fireball!

Imm0rt4l

motherfuckers get mad when you use victory rose on them in the corner. I don't think these cats understand it's a legit setup now.

Onemic

Got my first offline matches in Ultra as well as in general for almost a year now. I will say I'm nowhere near as free as I was when I was at my local scene the last time. Though, everyone seemed to be picking MU's that are totally not in Elena's favor. Faced a Rose/Juri player, Rufus player, and a Decapre player.

And HP Mallet smash is absolutely worthless offline lol. I managed to hit maybe 4 over the span of 5 hours of play.

As long as we agree it is misleading. ;)

Anyway, it is weird that you have so many bad connections. I am in Colorado, and our wires play fine together for the most part. Are you on Rogers?

I dont really agree, but hey, whatever floats your boat

The main problem is my ISP. It's not Rogers, if it was id be able to be using bandwidth on background stuff likely without issue. It's some shitty cheap alternative my parents got because you get unlimited bandwidth. If I run anything in the background the connection goes down the drain as proven today, haha. Add the fact that it's PSN and lag will be an issue if I'm using bandwidth on anything other than SF.

I will say I'm still a tier above dahbomb/relix tho for what little its worth :p

EC of north america, heh.

I'll try to play you on Xbox next week onemic. Maybe it will be better.

Unfortunately I only have the PS3 version. I'll be getting and switching to the PC version once that hits in August.

As long as Im not streaming Twitch in the background next time it should be fine.

xCobalt

does that work on only a jabxxl.palm, or would having multiple jabs into l.palm change the spacing to where you get hit by a reversal when you do a dive kick?

I just tested this and if you're doing it point blank, you can only do two jabs. The follow up dive kick will be a safe jump, at least against Guile. This version is definitely preferable since you don't corner yourself if they quick rise with a reversal.

You can attempt this setup after an ex palm combo in the corner and ending it with light palm. After a forward throw in the corner, you could also walk forward a bit then go for low short into palm to catch people who like to stand tech as well.

What should my Blanka corner pressure look like? A lot of players choose to turtle against me and take pot shots, and eventually they get backed into a corner as a result. However, I can't ever really capitalize on this situation, and in some ways it's actually more annoying because I can't do hop mix-ups without risking putting myself in the corner instead.

How do I capitalize on this situation?

El Sloth

Banned
motherfuckers get mad when you use victory rose on them in the corner. I don't think these cats understand it's a legit setup now.
Have you tried zoning a Hugo with rose throw yet? I'm really curious if it's actually a viable strat or not. If it does work, imagine the messages!

xCobalt

What should my Blanka corner pressure look like? A lot of players choose to turtle against me and take pot shots, and eventually they get backed into a corner as a result. However, I can't ever really capitalize on this situation, and in some ways it's actually more annoying because I can't do hop mix-ups without risking putting myself in the corner instead.

How do I capitalize on this situation?

I don't know much about blanka specific stuff but you could just let them hang themselves. Pressure them with normals that have good frame advantage, use normals that have a high hitbox to catch them in their early jump frames or put yourself in a position to anti air them if they attempt to jump out. People will often neutral jump or jump forward so just go into training mode and see what you can do.

I don't know much about blanka specific stuff but you could just let them hang themselves. Pressure them with normals that have good frame advantage, use normals that have a high hitbox to catch them in their early jump frames or put yourself in a position to anti air them if they attempt to jump out. People will often neutral jump or jump forward so just go into training mode and see what you can do.
The problem is that Blanka has horrible frame advantage on block for most of his stuff. The best he has is s.MP and c.MK at +1, and one of those doesn't hit crouching opponents always while the second has weak range.

xCobalt

The problem is that Blanka has horrible frame advantage on block for most of his stuff. The best he has is s.MP and c.MK at +1, and one of those doesn't hit crouching opponents always while the second has weak range.

It doesn't have to be at least 0 to be useable. Stuff that's -1 or -2 works well, even -3 depending on the normal. I pressure people with gouken's cr.mp, which is -2, as well as his standing and crouching hk, which are -3. All these normals have good range so the frame disadvantage isn't a huge concern. I think as long as it can't be punished by a crouch tech, you're fine.

BossRush

I apologize for posting so much of the same thing over and over in this thread, I just tend to have trouble picking characters to play, I'm rather finicky in regards to that.

The characters I'm thinking of picking up when PC ultra comes out are

Makoto/Akuma/Hugo

or

Dudley/E.Ryu/Zangief

I'd rather go with the first three, but...I don't know if it's viable to use them? Idk.

Grakl

I just tested this and if you're doing it point blank, you can only do two jabs. The follow up dive kick will be a safe jump, at least against Guile. This version is definitely preferable since you don't corner yourself if they quick rise with a reversal.

You can attempt this setup after an ex palm combo in the corner and ending it with light palm. After a forward throw in the corner, you could also walk forward a bit then go for low short into palm to catch people who like to stand tech as well.

cool, thanks

I apologize for posting so much of the same thing over and over in this thread, I just tend to have trouble picking characters to play, I'm rather finicky in regards to that.

Makoto/Akuma/Hugo

or

Dudley/E.Ryu/Zangief

I'd rather go with the first three, but...I don't know if it's viable to use them? Idk.

what do you mean by "viable to use them"? lol

Imm0rt4l

Makoto/Akuma/Hugo

or

Dudley/E.Ryu/Zangief

They're all viable, go with whoever you enjoy playing. I'm assuming you're not playing at the highest level so you don't have to sweat all the small stuff. Those characters are all pretty solid and some have more shortcomings than others is all. If you're really concerned with how good the characters are, then just pick a top tier.

Sayad

Makoto/Akuma/Hugo

or

Dudley/E.Ryu/Zangief

Makoto/Akuma are, at the least, high tiers.

cHaotix8

Hey guys, D-town Beatdown is currently going down today in Dallas, TX on twitch.tv/versusgameplay! We'll be streaming usfiv and marvel. Notable players include busby, jayto, sosicknashfan, integratyper, gol boi toi, findmyfarms, bsida and more! Thanks guys!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Any time I read what the japanese pros are saying about tiers it makes my eyes roll so hard i can literally see my own thoughts. I really dislike the defeatist mentality that if your character is only slightly better or the same suddenly theyre now mid tier just because all their 7 3 matchups became 6 4 matchups. Lord forbid you cant just vortex everyone for free and call it a day.

Onemic

Any time I read what the japanese pros are saying about tiers it makes my eyes roll so hard i can literally see my own thoughts. I really dislike the defeatist mentality that if your character is only slightly better or the same suddenly theyre now mid tier just because all their 7 3 matchups became 6 4 matchups. Lord forbid you cant just vortex everyone for free and call it a day.

Doesnt it have more to do with other characters being relatively a lot stronger compared to them?

Hey guys, D-town Beatdown is currently going down today in Dallas, TX on twitch.tv/versusgameplay! We'll be streaming usfiv and marvel. Notable players include busby, jayto, sosicknashfan, integratyper, gol boi toi, findmyfarms, bsida and more! Thanks guys!

Sweet, will check out

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Doesnt it have more to do with other characters being relatively a lot stronger compared to them?

I dont agree with the math that if your character was previously top ten (and still is) that just because some of the weaker cast got buffs somehow diminishes your character. It just seems like a really knee jerk way of sorting things out.

I dont agree with the math that if your character was previously top ten (and still is) that just because some of the weaker cast got buffs somehow diminishes your character. It just seems like a really knee jerk way of sorting things out.
Tiers reflect performance. Performance is a combination of matchup results. If matchups change against the favor of your character, then that character necessarily moves down in performance, and thus in tier placement. Where is the error in this reasoning?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Tiers reflect performance. Performance is a combination of matchup results. If matchups change against the favor of your character, then that character necessarily moves down in performance, and thus in tier placement. Where is the error in this reasoning?

The error is that Akuma is still better than guy rose or abel who all got better. Tokido all but implied that Akuma is now mid tier which is more hyperbolic than any statement ive read on almost any FGC forum.

What about Evil Joekage? I saw some his uploads using Evil Ryu, is he not going to be there?

ggs earlier, Count. I need to be way more patient in the rose matchup. :(

Yea that matchup is tricky for both characters imo. I have some really bad habits that I need to fix. Like getting myself into the corner because of back dashing too many times then having to chalk up that round and wait for the next. I also have no confidence anti-airing Gouken when you're up close because of that dumb dive kick. From a distance it isn't that bad though because of her st.HP.

Pretty much it just feels like if you get me into the corner its all over lol

Onemic

It will whiff at point blank range.
At all ranges other than literal point blank range it will hit 100% of the time. at point blank range it's split 50/50 with it either whiffing or hitting her. This seems to be due to her stance change in her legs. When her leg in the background is in front of her leg in the foreground dans kick will whiff, if her leg in the foreground is in front of her leg in the background dans kick will hit

cHaotix8

Hey guys, I know Curleh's going on right now but if you want a USFIV fix we're streaming a $100 Money Match between VGP SoSickNashfan and GOL Boi Toi. Gonna have some high level Chun-Li play plus some other casuals. Joekage and FindMyFarms are also in the building. Tune in! http://www.twitch.tv/versusgameplay

What about Evil Joekage? I saw some his uploads using Evil Ryu, is he not going to be there?

He ended up coming without telling anyone and got 2nd lol. His E Ryu is coming along.

Top Bottom