• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

You can grab lp and mp stings. HP and EX are throw invincible.

I looked through my frame data app and it says the frames 1-5 for the MP version is projectile invincible, the HP version is throw invincible, and the EX version is invincible. Which I assume means full invincibility. Does this mean all the non-EX stingers have no strike invincibility and will lose to meaty's?

I would test it myself but I don't want to turn on my Xbox or PS3 right now and piss off the wife lol. I also have to figure out that scramble. I was pretty upset about losing that match I was talking about earlier against the Decapre player.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
You can grab lp and mp stings. HP and EX are throw invincible.

Yeah, Cobalt snatched me out of wakeup MP stings a couple of times using Hugo. I should have been surprised but hey, if it was up to me, I'd have Hugo snatch everyone out of everything.

On Decapre: I really wish her LK slide had just the slightest more range or at least wasnt so easy to see coming. And that you could combo into the ex version throw.

cHaotix8

I looked through my frame data app and it says the frames 1-5 for the MP version is projectile invincible, the HP version is throw invincible, and the EX version is invincible. Which I assume means full invincibility. Does this mean all the non-EX stingers have no strike invincibility and will lose to meaty's?

I would test it myself but I don't want to turn on my Xbox or PS3 right now and piss off the wife lol. I also have to figure out that scramble. I was pretty upset about losing that match I was talking about earlier against the Decapre player.

Each of the stings have something they are invuln. One strike, one throw and one fireball. Ex is completely invuln.

Sting is one of the best reversals in the game imo. Really good hitbox makes it hard to bait your opponent into whiffing and deals with crossups pretty well. Also, fadc into drrrop it does fat damage.

http://evo2014.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/ssf4_b49.html

New evo bracket. Bonchan was ducking me.

onionfrog

On Decapre: I really wish her LK slide had just the slightest more range or at least wasnt so easy to see coming. And that you could combo into the ex version throw.
Man, I wish you could combo into it too! That would be really nice.
People with access to frame data:
Could you tell me if Decapre's EX hands is safe or just online safe? Thanks.

It seemed pretty safe to me, but that was online and on PSN! It'd be nice to know if its actually safe or not.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Hmm. Decapre instant Spiral Arrow only works on the EX version I think. Anyone confirm this? Nice and low to the ground too, almost looks like a standard one.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Man, I wish you could combo into it too! That would be really nice.
People with access to frame data:
Could you tell me if Decapre's EX hands is safe or just online safe? Thanks.

It seemed pretty safe to me, but that was online and on PSN! It'd be nice to know if its actually safe or not.

It's offline safe against everything (+-0 on block)

Also combos into Psycho Stream in the corner on hit :)

stn

I SUCK at teching. It seems like I get hit out of my tech attempts all the time. Help with teching in general?

Marz

Yea like every decapre I've played so far uses sting a ton, I don't think people in general realize its an uppercut and haven't been punishing it properly because there is no visual cue like with a shoto dp where you go flying in the air if it whiifs/gets blocked.

Onemic

With all this talk of Decapre stinger, I actually went to the lab and found out that she's on the list of people that can be punished with Elena's s.hp if you bait out the dp at close range.....Will definitely put this to good use.

For some reason I always thought it recovered a lot quicker than it does.

mbpm1

It's like -30 or something. Most of the cast can dash up and hit her with a full punish.

-28, yeah. People need to mixup their offense so that they can get around Decapre's Sting. It's like Abel's options, no clear cut answer on wakeup, but at least she has an answer for most situations.

I SUCK at teching. It seems like I get hit out of my tech attempts all the time. Help with teching in general?

I believe there's a method maybe one of the most experience players can I help you, it's hard to put into words tho.. I rely on Kara-throws bcuz I play ken

This might be the worst balanced version of SF4. It's definetly the least fun version. I'm all on board the "Fuck this Game, Edition Select instead" bandwagon.

Laconic

Banned
Worse and less fun than AE huh? Well that's certainly new.

I agree with you. No. It is not. AE owns both of those points, hands down. Vanilla might arguably be worse and less fun than Ultra
it is worse and less fun than Ultra
, but Ultra gets the nod as being the second least well balanced.

All in all, Super was the best version, if less balanced than 2012.

chriskun

I agree with you. No. It is not. AE owns both of those points, hands down. Vanilla might arguably be worse and less fun than Ultra

What are the main points on why people are thinking Ultra is so horribly balanced?
It seems to me why there are definitely characters that are still very overpowered the rest of the cast has risen in the ranks to be mostly B tier. I think we need to give the game a little more time before any final conclusions are made.

alstein

What are the main points on why people are thinking Ultra is so horribly balanced?
It seems to me why there are definitely characters that are still very overpowered the rest of the cast has risen in the ranks to be mostly B tier. I think we need to give the game a little more time before any final conclusions are made.

No one intelligent is saying Ultra is horribly balanced yet, outside of certain characters sucking.

That might change over time , but right now the balance seems a little better than AE. The sucky characters aren't as sucky as the bottom tiers in AE, and the top tiers aren't worse than AE.

For me Super and Ultra are tied for the versions I've had the most fun with. And I think it's because Ultra is like Super in the way that pretty much everyone got new FUN tools to use. I don't really give a shit if the tools are OP as long as everyone has them.

I feel it's too early to talk balance, but 2012 definitely still feels the most balanced

cackhyena

AE is still absolute shit on STEAM. It's pathetic how much it pales in comparison to GFWL now. Never thought I'd say that. Seeing people in the discussions with much faster internet than me saying they have the exact same issues. Really hope they get their act together by the time Ultra comes out.

I've been wanting to play some people I'm currently playing yang and ranked is killing me with the retardedness. I'm trying to learn and get better. I can play a couple other characters (Ken,Eryu,Ryu, Sagat) if you want to mix it up a bit. But yang is my character for now. I'm Midwest and Psn I'm not great but I'm not bad either.
Psn: Spycarnegy

Myn

I also feel like AE to Ultra has that feel of Vanilla to Super just because of the mechanic tweaks, although UCW doesn't seem as viable as people hoped it'd be, red focus gives a lot more depth of meter management and can significantly change the play style of a character. That's where I find Ultra to be fun and refreshing.

I've been wanting to play some people I'm currently playing yang and ranked is killing me with the retardedness. I'm trying to learn and get better. I can play a couple other characters (Ken,Eryu,Ryu, Sagat) if you want to mix it up a bit. But yang is my character for now. I'm Midwest and Psn I'm not great but I'm not bad either.
Psn: Spycarnegy

When would you like to play? I'm down for some matches after I eat lunch (15~ minutes) I'm located in Norcal. I've been looking for people to play because most of my SF4 experience so far has been offline with a couple people.
PSN: Mynare

I also feel like AE to Ultra has that feel of Vanilla to Super just because of the mechanic tweaks, although UCW doesn't seem as viable as people hoped it'd be, red focus gives a lot more depth of meter management and can significantly change the play style of a character. That's where I find Ultra to be fun and refreshing.

When would you like to play? I'm down for some matches after I eat lunch (15~ minutes) I'm located in Norcal. I've been looking for people to play because most of my SF4 experience so far has been offline with a couple people.
PSN: Mynare
I dunno, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of W Ultra. It just depends on the character.

I'll be home in exactly an hour actually. If the connection is good I'm down to play man. Warning though if your experience is primarily offline, online connections are a whole different ball game unfortunately. Sometimes the game just isn't the same

Myn

I'll be home in exactly an hour actually. If the connection is good I'm down to play man. Warning though if your experience is primarily offline, online connections are a whole different ball game unfortunately. Sometimes the game just isn't the same

Yes! Thanks for letting me know. And yeah, online for any fighting game has never been my cup of tea, but I've had experience with SF4's netplay and it's sometimes totally different so I understand where you're coming from. The way I look at it nowadays, combination of online and offline helps with adaptability which is why I'm starting to become more open to playing online.

Hey guys I got this game (SSF4: AE) during the steam sale and I've been playing it for the past few days and I've been getting absolutely slaughtered online. I've won 1 game out of about 75 games or so.

I watched this guy's tutorial and I really liked it and I feel like I can actually get some damage in and usually get an A on my offense now. Is there a similar tutorial for defense? Whenever I let my guard down people are able to get crazy combos off on me and I always get an E on my defense, sometimes a D.

I have no idea about technique though, I always get an E there, no idea how to improve that.

Dubz

Hey guys I got this game (SSF4: AE) during the steam sale and I've been playing it for the past few days and I've been getting absolutely slaughtered online. I've won 1 game out of about 75 games or so.

I watched this guy's tutorial and I really liked it and I feel like I can actually get some damage in and usually get an A on my offense now. Is there a similar tutorial for defense? Whenever I let my guard down people are able to get crazy combos off on me and I always get an E on my defense, sometimes a D.

I have no idea about technique though, I always get an E there, no idea how to improve that.

Read up and play a ton-a matches.

Dubz

Any good starting points of reading material?

Dig around Shoryuken. Character forums and wikis. Watch online matches. Find someone who's better than you to practice with.

Keep in mind, I'm just an online warrior, but the best advice for trying to get good at anything is, practice practice practice.

Myn

I wouldn't rely on the grading results at the end of a fight to determine your skill level. While the grading results give you a little indication of how you did in a match, in reality it means nothing. Someone could win a match but end up with E's in every category, or win convincingly and receive A in defense when they didn't even have to block anything. Ignore this if you can.

Defense I feel is something you have to have to get a feel for, and the only way to do that is to just keep playing. You'll gradually learn the patterns of blocking, what moves require blocking high and low, and when people want to throw you instead. Repetition and muscle memory comes into play for this.

The only way I feel like you could learn fundamentals of defense is finding someone who is willing to help you out who can play with and teach you at the same time. Again, there's a lot of tutorials on Youtube of people trying to teach people how to play Street Fighter, but nothing will ever beat the experience you gain actually playing. Thankfully, Ultra for PC is around the corner, and that has online training mode, so if you have nobody locally, you can find someone who'd be willing to go into online training + Skype or something and educate you that way.

Honestly practice is the best thing you can do. A game that has been out as long as SF4 has lots of people have years of experience with it which makes people just starting out even that much farther behind. Learning the basics for the game mechanics will be the most helpful. Thankfully these days with the recent resurgence of fighting games there's tons of information on youtube and websites like shoryuken and dustloop (for Guilty Gear, Blazblue etc.)

A mistake lots of beginners make in any fighting game is they all want to do the cool looking flashy combos, which are usually execution heavy and take time to get down properly, without learning how to actually play the game. What is your experience with fighting games in general? A lot of fundamentals carry over to various fighting games and to me are the most important thing you can learn to get better overall.

DunpealD

Try the Vesper Arcade Tutorial if you have enough time on hand.

It would be helpful if you could illustrate your understanding of the game. Like a replay of one of your matches. Or show someone a replay. There's also a gaf beginners steamgroup for fighting games called "Scrubgaf" if you're interested.

Also the punish combo(f.HP into HP DP) in your linked video is sub-optimal. Just as an example. In theory a close standing HP into SRK is a better option it's easier to do and does more stun at the same amount of damage, but gains a little less super gauge.

If you want more positional advantage you can go for HP cancel into Hurricane Kick to push the opponent into the corner. There are more complex and more difficult versions of those, but they are rather difficult to execute due to the strict timing.

Read up and play a ton-a matches.

Dig around Shoryuken. Character forums and wikis. Watch online matches. Find someone who's better than you to practice with.

Keep in mind, I'm just an online warrior, but the best advice for trying to get good at anything is, practice practice practice.

Not picking on you in particular. But these are usually pretty much non-answers or VERY inconvenient to execute same with the "play a lot and get gud" answers I read a lot in other threads.

For beginners it's paramount to understand the basics first. Like

- How to approach the game and move away from a beginners misconception like

Code:
- "Combos are more important than anything!".
- "I always need to hit my Ultra or Super!".
- "I don't need anything else than HP, HK and special moves!".
- "Jumping is the best way to get in!".
- "It's all about the damage!".

- Normals and their uses, i.e. using light attacks to confirm your succesful hit so you can turn it into a combo.

- Inputs of the special moves and their implications, i.e. switching sides eliminates the sidewards charge of charge characters, Fei Longs DP can be easier done in defense due to it's input being backwards based.

- Basic important system knowledge like cancels, i.e. c.mk into Hadoken with Ryu

- Spacing/positioning and overall approach of a match, i.e. you don't want to be close to a grappler or you don't want to put yourself into the corner.

So they can even start to fully analyze matches. If one decides to dig deeper into non-game-specific systems like frame data and hit/hurtboxes the learning speed should be much faster than the classic "trial and error" method and even for any fighting game. Frame data is especially important in SF4 for basic understanding due to it's reliance on links in combos.

I wouldn't rely on the grading results at the end of a fight to determine your skill level. While the grading results give you a little indication of how you did in a match, in reality it means nothing. Someone could win a match but end up with E's in every category, or win convincingly and receive A in defense when they didn't even have to block anything. Ignore this if you can.

Defense I feel is something you have to have to get a feel for, and the only way to do that is to just keep playing. You'll gradually learn the patterns of blocking, what moves require blocking high and low, and when people want to throw you instead. Repetition and muscle memory comes into play for this.

The only way I feel like you could learn fundamentals of defense is finding someone who is willing to help you out who can play with and teach you at the same time. Again, there's a lot of tutorials on Youtube of people trying to teach people how to play Street Fighter, but nothing will ever beat the experience you gain actually playing. Thankfully, Ultra for PC is around the corner, and that has online training mode, so if you have nobody locally, you can find someone who'd be willing to go into online training + Skype or something and educate you that way.

Have to agree with you. Grades mean nothing and you shouldn't use it as a pointer at all. Defense is something one has to learn indeed with matches. I think Kuroda a very well known 3S player used CPU to work on his concentration in defense so that might be viable training for a beginner.

Theory in general is good, but you still need the actual practice.

Top Bottom