• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

k1zRALX.jpg

OceanBlue

ggs everyone! Passive Assassin, I got really salty that I got hit by three kunais after the EX Kazegiri followup lol. I was trying to focus but I didn't know the timing. There's so much I have trouble with though. I wish I weren't so bad at figuring out what I was bad at and improving.

Ya especially when you were rose, its the only reason i even won that round :p

GGs Ocean, i cant be bothered to punish/combo properly -_-

"He wiffed a DP! Whatdoidowhatdoido, i know! Shoooooryyyuuuuukeeeeen"

*180 damage.*

I know fancy stuff i just freak out like a maniac when it actually matters >.<

Haha, you punished me with cr.MK tatsu DP a couple of times, so I know you can do it! It's all just playing more and becoming more comfortable until doing it is second nature.

I'm not the best person to give advice, but one thing I felt was happening was that you panicked really quickly and started becoming predictable. I'm guilty of this too--when I panic I down-back for my life which lets people walk up to me for free or go for overheads all of the time--but you should work on recognizing what you do when you start to do when you become flustered and if they're exploiting it. In your case, I felt like you really wanted to do damage when you became flustered. When you backed off and I felt that you were scared, I jumped, and when I knocked you down I waited to see what you wanted to do because you went for a lot of gamble DPs in the corner. Also, doing DP after a blocked cr.MK hit me a couple of times, but you didn't get much off of it and when it didn't work, you got a lot of damage so be careful about that.

One thing I did notice was that I wasn't doing a good job poking you, which is a good thing on your part. I feel like I was getting counter-hit out of my pokes a lot, so I probably need to think about letting you whiff the cr.MK and throwing a poke fireball or learning to whiff punish instead of trying to walk up in my cr.MK range and preemptively poke you. I'm too used to Sakura's godlike cr.MK. :V

Basically, be careful about doing the "right" thing when you're in the "right" situation. Also think more about when you're getting hit and the situation surrounding it. Once you start becoming more aware of what's going on (which involves some expectation and preemptive thinking IMO), it'll allow you to be more calm when you get in situations in which you usually panic. I'm still really bad at both of those things so I might just be projecting onto you. :p

I felt like I can empathize with you a bit, so I played Ryu. I was hoping you could feel more comfortable about the matchup and focus more on other things. Sorry if you feel like you don't need it lol.

TheMink

Thats good advice, yeah i panic a lot.

But I'm not actually trying to do cr.Mk DP, im trying to do a hadoken or a Tatsu-DP off the crouch kick.
So what happens is i panic and input my entire combo all at one time even before i connect at all with the crouch (bad habit) and it just skips the Tatsu and goes right into the DP which kinda worked for me sometimes as you pointed out. Or I'm trying to hadoken and im so sloppy that i do a DP instead.
Another thing i do terrible is input a far teleport but accidentally Ultra instead. Sometimes i try to hadoken and i just jump toward because of how sloppy my input is. Usually when I'm flustered.

I'm really glad you started playing Ryu btw thanks for doing that.

OceanBlue

Edit : by the way, if anyone has any advice for me of really appreciate it. :D
try doing a level one focus when you see ex kazegiri.

I think you can get level 2 right? I was trying to get a focus out, but I either did it too early and I was still in blockstun or I was too late and got hit by the kunai lol.

Anyway I'm just being salty. Seeing you empty-cancel far.HP was really interesting. Is it possible to catch people trying to whiff punish it with raida? Can you empty-cancel into her spin kicks to mess with people's spacing?

Anyone knows if that low ti3r fraud is going to EVO? I'd to see.him get bounced by a shoto. Especially a Dan player..

That be a great EVO moment..

OceanBlue

Thats good advice, yeah i panic a lot.

But I'm not actually trying to do cr.Mk DP, im trying to do a hadoken or a Tatsu-DP off the crouch kick.
So what happens is i panic and input my entire combo all at one time even before i connect at all with the crouch (bad habit) and it just skips the Tatsu and goes right into the DP which kinda worked for me sometimes as you pointed out. Or I'm trying to hadoken and im so sloppy that i do a DP instead.
Another thing i do terrible is input a far teleport but accidentally Ultra instead. Sometimes i try to hadoken and i just jump toward because of how sloppy my input is. Usually when I'm flustered.

I'm really glad you started playing Ryu btw thanks for doing that.

Ahaha, yeah a lot of that stuff is just experience. Eventually you'll have played enough games that doing the combo is second nature to you. Something people say a lot is to focus on one thing at a time. When I learn combos for Blazblue, I get jittery hands and panic all of the time too. I just have to spend a bunch of games losing and only focusing on doing that combo cleanly until I can do it without thinking. It's not awful that you're doing your combo even when it's blocked IMO. As long as you develop the muscle memory for it, you can learn to do it only on punishes later.

I hate to rag on you only for things you might have done wrong though. You were doing some good things and I felt like you were trying to think about how you played which is nice. Like I said, you were doing a good job poking me when I tried to walk up cr.MK (I didn't try to figure you out there, which is my bad), and you weren't really going for crouch techs after the first few games which is good since I was never throwing you lol. Once the actual good players (aka not me lol) play you and give you experience and advice, you'll definitely feel more comfortable, since I have a lot of wrong ideas about fighting games. :V

it's possible to whiff punish but super unsafe and you can kara cancel spin kicks too to mess with spacing :D

That kinda sounds fun lol. Ibuki seems like she has all of these goofy normals that would make footsies really interesting, but I'm lazy and bad so I never bother trying to learn her. :<

TheMink

I appreciate the criticism, and i enjoy playing even when i basically never win. Makes it satisfying when i do well haha, hopefully I'll be clutch one day :p
Right now I'm practicing those axe kick link combos in training. But that is far from consistent.
What i want to learn is those sweet Hadoken FADC combos. But for some reason i can never hit after the FADC. Must be a really tight link or something.

Nose Master

So... what do I do with the cody/bison matchup, as cody? I don't really like zoning, but it seems like that's my only option minus shitty crossups.

Finally did my homework on Decapre, apparently only the LP stinger is strike invincible while the heavy is throw invincible. The MP version has neither and my app says it's fireball invincible. So as a reversal I guess Decapre players will only go for the light and heavy version when they have no meter for the EX version. As for the scramble. I see that you can throw it, but only pretty early in its start up. I can see why that Decapre player kept using it against me, it appears to be strike invincible and I kept going for meaty cr. LK and got blown up by the cross up pound.

Still have a lot to learn about these new characters.

rCIZZLE

How active is AE on the PC? Thinking about leaving this PSN crap behind in august when ultra comes to steam. Having to refresh about 15 times to find a decent connection is irritating. Even worse is when that 3 green bar account is glitched and I get stuck in the "joining session" screen for 20 seconds before being booted back to the search.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Urgh bought the digital upgrade on PS4 not realising it doesn't come with all the previous DLC. Could have just bought the retail version for an extra £3 on Amazon and had the pre-order bonuses. Might just order it and try and blag a refund for my PSN purchase.

I might as well be starting from scratch it's been so long since I played (I didn't upgrade to AE either). I mostly played Chun and Rose in Super - how are they now?

rCIZZLE

Urgh bought the digital upgrade on PS4 not realising it doesn't come with all the previous DLC. Could have just bought the retail version for an extra £3 on Amazon and had the pre-order bonuses. Might just order it and try and blag a refund for my PSN purchase.

I might as well be starting from scratch it's been so long since I played (I didn't upgrade to AE either). I mostly played Chun and Rose in Super - how are they now?

Both are much better. Every move in Rose's BnB got a damage buff for starters.

ArjanN

God I love playing against Seth in random online matches now. YOU CAN"T DO THAT ANYMORE YOUR CHARACTER SUCKS! FUCK YOU SETH!!

Seth was never a great character online to begin with IMO. The lag makes you drop combos, which leads into you eating mashed SRKs/ultras which you can't afford with his low life.

Finally did my homework on Decapre, apparently only the LP stinger is strike invincible while the heavy is throw invincible. The MP version has neither and my app says it's fireball invincible. So as a reversal I guess Decapre players will only go for the light and heavy version when they have no meter for the EX version. As for the scramble. I see that you can throw it, but only pretty early in its start up. I can see why that Decapre player kept using it against me, it appears to be strike invincible and I kept going for meaty cr. LK and got blown up by the cross up pound.

Still have a lot to learn about these new characters.

The app doesn't say anywhere that LP Stinger is strike invincible?

cHaotix8

So... what do I do with the cody/bison matchup, as cody? I don't really like zoning, but it seems like that's my only option minus shitty crossups.

I think this matchup is pretty even. Zone with rocks when he doesn't have meter. Hold bingo to punish scissors (space them so that you can react to them before they hit you). Option select his wakeup based on the meter he has. Learn your tight string frame traps to catch low short (cr lp > st mp works well, so does cr lp > f mp and cr lp stutter cr lp). You HAVE to be on point with your frame traps because of how good his crouch tech is. Punish EX Pyscho crusher with reversal ex ruffian or delayed ultra 2 on block. Back mp head stomp followups and devil's reverse.

Hmm, what do you think Sakura does differently than Evil Ryu? It sounds reasonable enough to me, but I'm not very good so I don't think I play Sakura correctly.

Sakura has okay footsies but zoning isn't really her strong suit. She's primarily a frame trap character with good air mobility and jump options. Evil Ryu is more of a zoning/footsie character with okay frame trapping abilities. Both of them get big damage combo opportunities but they both excel in different areas. Sakura and Evil Ryu are the best at what they do in their respective areas.

bodine1231

I appreciate the criticism, and i enjoy playing even when i basically never win. Makes it satisfying when i do well haha, hopefully I'll be clutch one day :p
Right now I'm practicing those axe kick link combos in training. But that is far from consistent.
What i want to learn is those sweet Hadoken FADC combos. But for some reason i can never hit after the FADC. Must be a really tight link or something.

What helped me is that instead of holding down Focus + ->,-> (which would cause me to lvl 1 sometimes) I started doing forward once and double tapping the focus buttons
(so its ->+. Focus,Focus) which seems to pop me out of focus MUCH faster and I never whiff a level 1. You have to tap the first forward and focus at the same time then immediately tap the second focus.

This is probably common knowledge but to me it was a revelation.

vg260

This guy really needs to work on himself. It's just my gaming persona doesn't cut it as a justification. Try to be a better human being and less of an arrogant, condescending brat. Credit where it's due though, he played pretty well against Alex Valle, and the commentators were indeed heavily biased, but most probably as a result of his own behaviour.

Guy just needs to chill out, be more respectful, and a hell of a lot more humble.

Seriously. Maybe that's his shtick, but I find it intolerable. I'm mad I gave that guy's video a hit.

thelastword

Banned
Nice work jlai. I can't stand that low tier gawd guy, he's such a scrub.
I just watched most of his videos, I think persons are taking this way too serious, don't get me wrong; I hate a quitter and whiny players just the same, but I think his intention was to troll with rolento online. He is a pretty good player though, his shctick is to ruffle some feathers and get these players to do a FT5 where he blows them up, lol.

Actually I was entertained by his videos, especially against that high ranking blanka player and the guy player who he had the edge on.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Capcpom gonna Capcpom

ha4lkq6.gif
"Hi guys, Peter "Combofiend" Rosas here, we've heard from Elena players that they had issues not getting punished after hitting an EX DP so we improved the move, we hope Elena players explore this new tool with all kind of lol situations and wonky hitboxes"
"As part of Elena changes we also buffed Yun"

OceanBlue

Sakura has okay footsies but zoning isn't really her strong suit. She's primarily a frame trap character with good air mobility and jump options. Evil Ryu is more of a zoning/footsie character with okay frame trapping abilities. Both of them get big damage combo opportunities but they both excel in different areas. Sakura and Evil Ryu are the best at what they do in their respective areas.

I see. I feel like I mostly get damage with Sakura through footsies instead of frame traps because my offense is lacking. I either can't seem to make people scared enough to press buttons (especially now that I don't have autopilot mixups after throws lol) or my frametraps are bad. I also have a bad habit of delaying my frame traps too much or walking too much after a blocked move, which gets me counter-hit. What do people usually think when they're going for frame traps? I feel like Sakura's damage makes it harder for me to get people to press buttons than when I was playing Ryu lol.

Maybe I should try playing Evil Ryu as well. :V

Edit: Actually, my problem is probably that my frame traps are really basic. I need more cl.MP in my life.

OceanBlue

I just realized that you cant set the training dummy to DWU

This is the most ridiculous thing about Ultra. I don't understand how such an oversight was even possible. I mean, it's not like you can't test things using a dummy, but it's still no less absurd.

cHaotix8

I see. I feel like I mostly get damage with Sakura through footsies instead of frame traps because my offense is lacking. I either can't seem to make people scared enough to press buttons (especially now that I don't have autopilot mixups after throws lol) or my frametraps are bad. I also have a bad habit of delaying my frame traps too much or walking too much after a blocked move, which gets me counter-hit. What do people usually think when they're going for frame traps? I feel like Sakura's damage makes it harder for me to get people to press buttons than when I was playing Ryu lol.

Maybe I should try playing Evil Ryu as well. :V

Edit: Actually, my problem is probably that my frame traps are really basic. I need more cl.MP in my life.

Find out what characters her close and far st lp hit on crouchers. They are +4 on block, so you can harass a lot of characters vanilla SFXT style and do walk up jab then confirm into cr mk xx shouken on hit. Her standing jab is the best in the game and is way underused. If they try to walk back and get out of range, catch them low with straight cr mk xx shouken. The buffer window is so huge that you can actually hit confirm the cancel, though it's a bit harder online.

Learn your setups that lead to meaty lk tatsu. Figure out if your opponent is crouch teching, stand teching, mashing jab or just blocking. Do a lk tatsu then walk back to see what they do on defense. Remember it for next time and punish it.

What did they do?

Nerfed the damage from like 510 to 466 but sped up the travel time after the sand hits and starts swinging the wrench. Pretty much he can connect in situations where the sand would hit but the wrench wouldn't (from much further away). It's weird that they would nerf Cody's damage, yet buff the range on Dudley's Ultra 1 and keeping the damage the same. Capcom is pretty dumb.

OceanBlue

Find out what characters her close and far st lp hit on crouchers. They are +4 on block, so you can harass a lot of characters vanilla SFXT style and do walk up jab then confirm into cr mk xx shouken on hit. Her standing jab is the best in the game and is way underused. If they try to walk back and get out of range, catch them low with straight cr mk xx shouken. The buffer window is so huge that you can actually hit confirm the cancel, though it's a bit harder online.

Learn your setups that lead to meaty lk tatsu. Figure out if your opponent is crouch teching, stand teching, mashing jab or just blocking. Do a lk tatsu then walk back to see what they do on defense. Remember it for next time and punish it.

You can hitconfirm cr.MK DP?! Holy shit lol, I need to practice that. I definitely need to do more jabs. I'm so used to standing jabs whiffing that I don't even think about it being an option. Honestly, I think cl.LP hits almost every croucher maybe aside from Elena or something.

Thinking about what you're saying makes me think I have really autopilot offense. I don't think I ever walk back after LK tatsu. Mostly I just have a plain, "Jab once, grab. If they tech, jab again and do st.HP after" offense that's probably not very scary. Thanks for all of the advice.

Robot Pants

Nerfed the damage from like 510 to 466 but sped up the travel time after the sand hits and starts swinging the wrench. Pretty much he can connect in situations where the sand would hit but the wrench wouldn't (from much further away). It's weird that they would nerf his damage, yet buff the range on Dudley's Ultra 1 and still keep his damage. Capcom is pretty dumb.
Agreed. They make some ridiculous decisions sometimes. I still don't understand why Dudley's U1 is a full screen punish.

cHaotix8

Agreed. They make some ridiculous decisions sometimes. I still don't understand why Dudley's U1 is a full screen punish.

That was a weird buff in general. I don't recall any Dudley player even asking for that, haha. If they were going to give him that then they should lower the damage down to like 425 or something.

Onemic

ggs hypernima

Looks like you found out the secret to chun-li being able to easily punish an elena that tries to focus backdash her fireballs

I played pretty impatient for the first match when you switched it to Cody because I was still playing how I played your Chun-li, not give a fuck rushdown all day lol.

Also, if you use Chun, just rush my ass down man. Chun pretty much destroys all of Elena's options. her normals are much better and beat hers, fireball beats her slide, her jump arc makes using her AA normals to AA a bit of a pain. If you let me rush you down, you're essentially removing the huge upside Chun has against Elena in the MU. If you're gonna turtle, use the fireballs to bait me into doing something stupid and punish, then go in. Vulva was able to do this perfectly against me ;_;

hypernima

Banned
Nerfed the damage from like 510 to 466 but sped up the travel time after the sand hits and starts swinging the wrench. Pretty much he can connect in situations where the sand would hit but the wrench wouldn't (from much further away). It's weird that they would nerf Cody's damage, yet buff the range on Dudley's Ultra 1 and keeping the damage the same. Capcom is pretty dumb.

The problem is that, in most situations it still does not connect and now damage is lower so chip is less if you miss.

ggs hypernima

Looks like you found out the secret to chun-li being able to easily punish an elena that tries to focus backdash her fireballs

I played pretty impatient for the first match when you switched it to Cody because I was still playing how I played your Chun-li, not give a fuck rushdown all day lol.

Also, if you use Chun, just rush my ass down man. Chun pretty much destroys all of Elena's options. her normals are much better and beat hers, fireball beats her slide, her jump arc makes using her AA normals to AA a bit of a pain. If you let me rush you down, you're essentially removing the huge upside Chun has against Elena in the MU. If you're gonna turtle, use the fireballs to bait me into doing something stupid and punish, then go in. Vulva was able to do this perfectly against me ;_;

I can't do that yet because I don't know Chun as well as I know Cody. I don't even know what bnb to use since st.hp whiffs on crouched Elena.

cHaotix8

Sorry for the short set. It was getting kinda laggy due to the weather I think. I definitely need more Elena experience.

GG's man. Yeah, it was good for a bit but sporadic lag was a downer. You were definitely getting it down towards the end though. I wondered how long it would take before people started ultraing HP Mallet Smash on reaction lol. Definitely can't do that anymore.

Onemic

GG's man. Yeah, it was good for a bit but sporadic lag was a downer. You were definitely getting it down towards the end though. I wondered how long it would take before people started ultraing HP Mallet Smash on reaction lol. Definitely can't do that anymore.

It seems like online people are crazy free to hp mallet smash. offline though its pretty much unusable, except for rare occasions.

Top Bottom