• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

I dunno dude. I have done decent with blanka. Hopping around is fun too.
I do decent with him, too. Got my PP up to 1600 and BP up to 1000 in a few days. But the amount of effort I have to put into him because he has so many bad matchups and has so many unsafe options is crazy compared to what other characters have to offer. Plus is damage is total crap, so even when you get in you have to severely outplay your opponent by hitting him/her several more times than you've been hit. It's just not a good situation to be in, you know?

Zack117

Banned
What are my options against a meaty special move (hadouken) after being hard knockdowned and just one hit away from getting chip KO'd?
Specifically in a Poison (me) vs Ken (my pal) case?

Also, is it just me, or is Poison's DP almost useless? I always get hit by jump in attacks while trying to anti air them with her DP. It doesn't even trade. The hitbox also confuses me. I get that it's an straight up vertical attack, but even when my opponent is trying to do a cross up on me, meaning that he's pretty much exactly above me (maybe slightly on the side where he's about to land) , it doesn't hit at all. My attack just clips through his character model, which really frustrates me.

I apologize for the eventual banality of my questions, but I'm still new to this game. So many questions arise during a fight...

If you're down to a sliver, the only way out of chip death is waking up with an invincible move. That's literally it, and you just kind of have to accept that you got yourself into that bad situation.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
What are my options against a meaty special move (hadouken) after being hard knockdowned and just one hit away from getting chip KO'd?
Specifically in a Poison (me) vs Ken (my pal) case?
As Karsticles said, in this situation, all you can do is try your luck with a move that has i-frames. Some EX specials are viable depending on the character, but don't do it unless you're sure - don't wanna needlessly burn meter that could be used next round. You could also wakeup Ultra and pray (seeing as it'll be gone next round anyway).
Only other option is to keep blocking and give your opponent the C.

Also, is it just me, or is Poison's DP almost useless? I always get hit by jump in attacks while trying to anti air them with her DP. It doesn't even trade. The hitbox also confuses me. I get that it's an straight up vertical attack, but even when my opponent is trying to do a cross up on me, meaning that he's pretty much exactly above me (maybe slightly on the side where he's about to land) , it doesn't hit at all. My attack just clips through his character model, which really frustrates me.
I'm no expert, but I remember being frustrated by this when I was starting out too. You've just gotta learn to read the situation, depending on where your opponent jumped from and who you're both using. In most cases it isn't as simple as "directly above me = do a vertical attack". Sometimes you just have to accept that a certain character's DP isn't so good, and train yourself to only use it in strict scenarios.

If you think they're going to land even slightly on the other side of you, it's time to block that crossup or get ready for a high-low-throw mixup on the other side. Some characters have great reversals and tools to get you out of this situation, but most you just have to learn to weather the storm and put yourself back in a neutral position.

I apologize for the eventual banality of my questions, but I'm still new to this game. So many questions arise during a fight...
No need to apologise, mang! We all gotta start somewhere. Get thrown in at the deep end and all that.

I do decent with him, too. Got my PP up to 1600 and BP up to 1000 in a few days. But the amount of effort I have to put into him because he has so many bad matchups and has so many unsafe options is crazy compared to what other characters have to offer. Plus is damage is total crap, so even when you get in you have to severely outplay your opponent by hitting him/her several more times than you've been hit. It's just not a good situation to be in, you know?

Welcome to the wonderful world of maining Blanka, but he's for no skill scrubs, at least that's what the hate mail says.

Ok gaf, I need some suggestions. I main Blanka, I need to find an alternate, for 3+ years I have yet to find one I really like to play as (My own fault, all lab time was spent working on Blanka) So basically, sell me on why I should pick up your character as an alt.

Welcome to the wonderful world of maining Blanka, but he's for no skill scrubs, at least that's what the hate mail says.

Ok gaf, I need some suggestions. I main Blanka, I need to find an alternate, for 3+ years I have yet to find one I really like to play as (My own fault, all lab time was spent working on Blanka) So basically, sell me on why I should pick up your character as an alt.
Pick up Yun so you can lose with Blanka, switch to a top tier for revenge, and then:

1) Lose, and get mocked for being a suck-ass tier whore.

or

2) Win, and feel dirty.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Pick up Yun so you can lose with Blanka, switch to a top tier for revenge, and then:

1) Lose, and get mocked for being a suck-ass tier whore.

or

2) Win, and feel dirty.

I think I've taken my pocket Yun out 3 times in total. He's super fun to play no doubt. Its nice not having to worry about linking 3 frame normals with half an active frame to score decent damage. But the scumbag feeling is real. He is so little work in every aspect. Even with almost no knowledge (aside from what ive seen on streams) of the character, ten minutes in the lab and i was doing pretty damaging genei jin combos. The only character that i think would make me feel dirtier is cammy.

Onemic

I think I've taken my pocket Yun out 3 times in total. He's super fun to play no doubt. Its nice not having to worry about linking 3 frame normals with half an active frame to score decent damage. But the scumbag feeling is real. He is so little work in every aspect. Even with almost no knowledge (aside from what ive seen on streams) of the character, ten minutes in the lab and i was doing pretty damaging genei jin combos. The only character that i think would make me feel dirtier is cammy.

In Ultra? naw. Yun definitely feels like the dirtiest player to win with in the game. I played him a few times...and I just couldnt. It feels like I'm playing a single player game lol.

FSLink

Banned
Anybody got good Hakan resources? SRK is unorganized as fuck. Picking him up as a pocket secondary to my tier whoring Yun.
Also been trying Hugo and T. Hawk on the side but I think Hakan would be better since he's so underused. Plus I love gimmicky characters (Wright in Mahvel)

Anybody got good Hakan resources? SRK is unorganized as fuck. Picking him up as a pocket secondary to my tier whoring Yun.
Also been trying Hugo and T. Hawk on the side but I think Hakan would be better since he's so underused. Plus I love gimmicky characters (Wright in Mahvel)

Hakan Bible

this is what you get for picking Yun

FSLink

Banned
MobileGAF revealed the Youtube link. :p I already use Zero May Cry in Marvel as my main team so might as well stick with Yun since I find him fun. Might as well tier whore all the way and have fun secondaries to bring out for counterpicks. :p

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
In Ultra? naw. Yun definitely feels like the dirtiest player to win with in the game. I played him a few times...and I just couldnt. It feels like I'm playing a single player game lol.

I'd rather play against Yun than Cammy. I can't stand Cammy. Blocking her is easily the least enjoyable part of this game. Its like ex dive kick buttons buttonsbuttonsbuttonsbuttons
crossup buttons buttons grab buttonsbuttons crossup crouch tech blow up buttonsbuttonsbuttons dizzy. Id rather just eat strong strong strong shoulder red focus ultra and get back to the lobby so my life can go on.

I'd rather play against Yun than Cammy. I can't stand Cammy. Blocking her is easily the least enjoyable part of this game. Its like ex dive kick buttons buttonsbuttonsbuttonsbuttons
crossup buttons buttons grab buttonsbuttons crossup crouch tech blow up buttonsbuttonsbuttons dizzy. Id rather just eat strong strong strong shoulder red focus ultra and get back to the lobby so my life can go on.

I feel the same way. I still struggle against Cammy more than Yun for various reasons. They're both derpy characters but I think Yun is more honest because his pressure game is riskier. Command grab gets destroyed by neutral jump or back dash because of the recovery. Dive kicking on your opponents wake up is easy to DP. Cammy's dive kick pressure is either impossible or very difficult to DP. Then you have her walk speed, Ultra(I play a fireball character), EX cannon strike for days, and good buttons in general.

I've seen others say it and I agree, AE 2012 Cammy is stronger than Ultra Yun. That red focus buff is nice, but not as good as the previous Cammy with all the stuff she had. If only I could do Cammy unblockables like Sako, this match up would be so much easier. Funny thing is that Sako would never land that against online Cammy's because they would just mash DP on wake up all the time hoping it will hit or help them escape lol. But I'm sure he could make the adjustments I never could like OS forward jump to punish it.

RecklessWolf

Neo Member
So I've been getting bopped by Rolentos for free online. I have no idea whats going on with this character. The people I face just seem to go nuts. Can you punish the forward roll he does along the ground? And the pogo hop; there no way that can be safe to just throw out can it?

xCobalt

So I've been getting bopped by Rolentos for free online. I have no idea whats going on with this character. The people I face just seem to go nuts. Can you punish the forward roll he does along the ground? And the pogo hop; there no way that can be safe to just throw out can it?

I think the entire cast can punish the roll. Just go into training mode and test out what you can do. It's -8 on block and if you block it standing, the pushback is much less. With all the testing I've done with pogo, there isn't a safe setup for it. You can always jab out him out of it. Most people attempt the punish too early and will whiff a jab from the wrong side.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I feel the same way. I still struggle against Cammy more than Yun for various reasons. They're both derpy characters but I think Yun is more honest because his pressure game is riskier. Command grab gets destroyed by neutral jump or back dash because of the recovery. Dive kicking on your opponents wake up is easy to DP. Cammy's dive kick pressure is either impossible or very difficult to DP. Then you have her walk speed, Ultra(I play a fireball character), EX cannon strike for days, and good buttons in general.

I've seen others say it and I agree, AE 2012 Cammy is stronger than Ultra Yun. That red focus buff is nice, but not as good as the previous Cammy with all the stuff she had. If only I could do Cammy unblockables like Sako, this match up would be so much easier. Funny thing is that Sako would never land that against online Cammy's because they would just mash DP on wake up all the time hoping it will hit or help them escape lol. But I'm sure he could make the adjustments I never could like OS forward jump to punish it.

Its really difficult to shake her off. You're right though. Yun has to take a risk. Cammy with meter..hell cammy with meter and ultra. Do i even bother pressuring her? I can't even recall how many games I had where I outfootsie her only to eat one random drill and then get mauled.

I should learn juri as a secondary character hmm even tho my love for ken goes back to the sega genesis era and to this day I don't get tired of playing him... Ps I'm 26 =]

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Any Oni users on here?

I felt inspired to try him out on a whim last night after reading up on the bare minimum of info on his SRK page.
Jumped straight into an Endless lobby, and the guy who happens to join is a beast of an Oni player.
Naturally, I absolutely suck, but he gratiously sticks around and lays it down for me 0-30 games straight.

Spent most of the time getting combo'd upside the everywhere and learning the character's weaknesses more than anything else, but I took this chance meeting as a sign.
He feels kind of similar to Gouken, with his strong mix-up game and relatively weak reversals.
It's fun trying to maintain space/pacing with his air dashes and great command normals.
Also feels good to have a character who can combo/link from jabs/shorts.

Does he have any good AA buttons other than s.hp?
Also what are his B&B combos?
What's best for going into/out of either of his target combos?

Any advice you have for a budding Oni player is appreciated!

Onemic

Any Oni users on here?

I felt inspired to try him out on a whim last night after reading up on the bare minimum of info on his SRK page.
Jumped straight into an Endless lobby, and the guy who happens to join is a beast of an Oni player.
Naturally, I absolutely suck, but he gratiously sticks around and lays it down for me 0-30 games straight.

Spent most of the time getting combo'd upside the everywhere and learning the character's weaknesses more than anything else, but I took this chance meeting as a sign.
He feels kind of similar to Gouken, with his strong mix-up game and relatively weak reversals.
It's fun trying to maintain space/pacing with his air dashes and great command normals.
Also feels good to have a character who can combo/link from jabs/shorts.

Does he have any good AA buttons other than s.hp?
Also what are his B&B combos?
What's best for going into/out of either of his target combos?

Any advice you have for a budding Oni player is appreciated!

cr.hp and fwd+hk are his other AA's. cr.hp is good for preventing up close jumpins/crossups and fwd+hk is good for farther away jumpins, though it's not used too much

His BnB is :

cr.lp, cr.lp, TC2 xx lk slash, FADC, c.mp, TC2 xx hk tatsu

if punishing replace c.lp, c.lp with c.mp or go straight into TC2.

if going meterless just replace FADC with a cancel into hk tatsu or light palm

end your TC2 with either hk tatsu for corner carry and dmg, FADC to extend for extra dmg or light palm for a hard knockdown

I dont play Oni, but I know how to do all his combos lol, so I cant really help you beyond this.

Aquashark

Banned
Will the PC version of Ultra SF4 be released as a standalone game on steam? I'm only seeing it as a DLC for SSF4AE: http://store.steampowered.com/app/301660/
However, the OP says "Full version, retail and digital on Steam/PC - August 8th, 2014"
at least you don't get this when trying to view USF4 on Steam:

nZgA9hy.png

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Budibidabidibadum

Budibidabidibadum

Budibidabidibadum

Bidibadum bidibadum bi da dum

Budibidabidibadum

Budibidabidibadum

Budibidabidibadum

Pretty much the reason I cringe when playing people who only pick the training stage and why I always tend to go random. You're already playing online...lag is gonna be there no matter what the stage is. At least you can change the BGM to character-specific....but then you might just hear Ryu's music 1000000000 times straight.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Budibidabidibadum

Budibidabidibadum

Budibidabidibadum

Budibidabidibadum

Budibidabidibadum

Budibidabidibadum

Haha In my dreams, son! I hear it in my dreams. That said, my car decided to die on me today. Got AAA on its way. Hopefully it's just a dead battery but I think it's the starter. Either way, there goes my morning Ultra session. Bah.

Top Bottom