• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Owensboro

Good lord not having internet at home for the last 3 weeks has been awful. I just want to get online and lose with my Hugo some more!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I have Super Street Fighter IV, can I just upgrade?
also is a PS4 version planned, I might even double dip.

Onemic

Been working on things with Elena....I think shes being heavily underlooked. I still dont think shes that good, but not as bad as people say she is.

The receipts shall come out after EVO

xCobalt

Been working on things with Elena....I think shes being heavily underlooked. I still dont think shes that good, but not as bad as people say she is.

The receipts shall come out after EVO

I think the only person here who says shes bad is you lol.

Marz

Really no way to tell how good the new guys are until a little later when people learn the matchup and people get better with em.

And hopefully their hitboxes/hurtboxes get fixed.

cHaotix8

I don't remember the last time I lost so badly haha. Any tips on what I could do better in the Gouken/Dudley matchup?

You kinda let me get away with a lot of f Hp's, which is one of my favorite tools to get in. Bait it with focus attack and neutral jumps and keep.me guessing by throwimg more fireballs at mid range. Keep in mind that I can't really to punish neutral jumps, fireballs and focus attacks at the same time so take advantage of that. Pick up kn what you think I'm looking for and punish that.

Other than that, I got a lot of mileage from just jumping in. You challened me sometines but overall I wasn't really scared of anti airs. You got me once with whiff normal > anti air counter. If you could do that and ex tatsu more consistently then it will be a lot harder for me to get in.

I'm currently at the airport about to board my flight, guys. Wish me luck!

xCobalt

You kinda let me get away with a lot of f Hp's, which is one of my favorite tools to get in. Bait it with focus attack and neutral jumps and keep.me guessing by throwimg more fireballs at mid range. Keep in mind that I can't really to punish neutral jumps, fireballs and focus attacks at the same time so take advantage of that. Pick up kn what you think I'm looking for and punish that.

Other than that, I got a lot of mileage from just jumping in. You challened me sometines but overall I wasn't really scared of anti airs. You got me once with whiff normal > anti air counter. If you could do that and ex tatsu more consistently then it will be a lot harder for me to get in.

I'm currently at the airport about to board my flight, guys. Wish me luck!

Thanks. I have a tendency to conserve my meter and try to rely on normals to anti air. It doesn't work too well since it seems like his j.hk is able stuff gouken's cr.hp pretty consistently. Will definitely use ex tatsu more.

Good luck at EVO!

Myn

I have Super Street Fighter IV, can I just upgrade?
also is a PS4 version planned, I might even double dip.

Yes, you can upgrade from SSF4, and a PS4 port has been speculated but doesn't seem likely (there's an announcement regarding USF4 at Evo), the only reference of it was the fact that SF4 could be played through PS4's streaming service which isn't advised...

Onemic

I think the only person here who says shes bad is you lol.

here or in general? In general most people think shes low tier or bottom. Theres no tier list so far that has her above low tier. Most top players impressions of her is that shes really bad. Chris G, the dude that plays her, thinks shes bottom. so, ya...I dont think I've ever been alone or in the minority about my opinion on her lol, except maybe the first week when everyone thought she was top tier potential.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
here or in general? In general most people think shes low tier or bottom. Theres no tier list so far that has her above low tier. Most top players impressions of her is that shes really bad. Chris G, the dude that plays her, thinks shes bottom. so, ya...I dont think I've ever been alone or in the minority about my opinion on her lol, except maybe the first week when everyone thought she was top tier potential.

I just got rekt by the number 3 elena on xbl. Feels bad.

Kaleinc

Banned
Several years after vanilla's release everyone still thought Cammy was ass. Spin Knuckle is slow, hooligans are slow, what does she have - nothing, yup. And she had it all + instant meterless divekick. Too early to tell.

Onemic

Several years after vanilla's release everyone still thought Cammy was ass. Spin Knuckle is slow, hooligans are slow, what does she have - nothing, yup. And she had it all + instant meterless divekick. Too early to tell.

Like I said in my initial post, I do think she has the potential,(As I've found a lot of stuff that I personally think makes some of her early nightmare matchups much more winnable...and no its not healing :p) but my opinion of her thus far definitely has never been in the minority.

xCobalt

I wouldn't really count tier lists that came out two weeks after the game dropped. Justin on one of his stream said that he thinks Elena is mid tier which I think is appropriate. I don't really see any glaring flaws that make her bottom tier.

El Sloth

Banned
Ggs against your Gouken, Cobalt.

Bgs against your Rolento, Cobalt.

That character is almost zero fun to play against. Maybe even negative fun. >:|
That was his EX escape. Has a decent amount of invincibility until he hits the wall.
I don't care! I was salty when he just flipped right through it even though I guessed you were going to wakeup with something! |:<

I am El Salt right now.

xCobalt

Ggs against your Gouken, Cobalt.

Bgs against your Rolento, Cobalt.

That character is almost zero fun to play against. Maybe even negative fun. >:|

I don't care! I was salty when he just flipped right through it even though I guessed you were going to wakeup with something! |:<

I am El Salt right now.

I don't think anyone has fun playing against Rolento lol. Just figure out what you can do against the roll on block and the matchup becomes way easier. Regular rolls are -8 on block and EX is -10. You started jabbing me out of pogo mixups which was good.

El Sloth

Banned
I don't think anyone has fun playing against Rolento lol. Just figure out what you can do against the roll on block and the matchup becomes way easier. Regular rolls are -8 on block and EX is -10. You started jabbing me out of pogo mixups which was good.
Well, I'm mostly just joking. It was fun trying to figure out what did and didn't work against him. It was during Topanga Cup that I saw someone jab him out his pogo mixups and rolls. He's surprisingly similar to Blanka in that way. Pogo and its followup have weird timings though.

Huh, didn't realize they were so negative. I mean, they look unsafe, but it leaves him so far away. Which is why I tested U1 on blocked rolls since it has so much range. If I remember correctly, U1 takes 10 frames to start up so it should work on EX roll. It might just leave him too far away to reach in time though.

Personally, I feel like Rose has the advantage in that matchup. What do you think?

xCobalt

Well, I'm mostly just joking. It was fun trying to figure out what did and didn't work against him. It was during Topanga Cup that I saw someone jab him out his pogo mixups and rolls. He's surprisingly similar to Blanka in that way. Pogo and its followup have weird timings though.

Huh, didn't realize they were so negative. I mean, they look unsafe, but it leaves him so far away. Which is why I tested U1 on blocked rolls since it has so much range. If I remember correctly, U1 takes 10 frames to start up so it should work on EX roll. It might just leave him too far away to reach in time though.

Personally, I feel like Rose has the advantage in that matchup. What do you think?

He's definitely a Blanka that doesn't require charging. I'm guessing his rolls does leave him too far for U1 to connect. I wonder if cr.mk would work. If it does, you could probably get some decent damge.

I think this matchup might be in Rolento's favour. Rose doesn't really have strong pressure or a way to change her jump trajectory which is what Rolento has a lot of problems with. I haven't seen this match played at a high level so it's hard to say. My Rolento hasn't changed much since like the first week lol. I just see what gimmicks work and start abusing them in a match. I really need to be more consistent with his 1 frame links and up close stinger pressure.

I don't know if this was posted. But this was interesting and funny roundtable discussion:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/225/G022539/20140704102/

favorite quotes:

Kazunoko: Yes, I've used Yun ever since the beginning, like a true craftsman.

(everyone laughs)

Kazunoko: Wait, why is everyone laughing? I am loyally attached to my character!

Tokido: Alright, I admit that you were brilliant for sticking with Yun even in AE2012.

Bonchan: Wait, didn't you switch to Seth midway? Then you cried out that "fighting against Fei-Long is impossible," and returned once again to Yun.

Kazunoko: Well even now it's the same situation. This is what I define as character love. (laughs)

Daigo: Yes, indeed. Since the beginning of Vanilla SF4 I've been playing Ryu for 6 years straight now, so it's only natural that I wanted something new. Also for USF4, everyone's attack power was raised, but Ryu's attack power did not change that much.

4Gamer: You felt it was very difficult.

Daigo: Yes. I began to look around for characters with high firepower and landed on Evil Ryu. At first, I didn't pay much attention to his strength and selected him. However, once I began to use Evil Ryu, I began to ask myself, "What have I been doing this entire time?"

4Gamer: I see. May we all assume that you will be using Evil Ryu for Evo 2014 and in the future?

Daigo: I suppose. At first I wanted to alternate between Evil Ryu and regular Ryu, but the more I played the more I realized that Evil Ryu is in all respects a superior version to Ryu. In the future, the only matchup where Ryu is more enjoyable to play is against Balrog (Claw). From now on, I'll probably stick with Evil Ryu.

Had a ripper match with my Oni vs someone's Chun Li, he was one of the top players while i was one of the worst (in terms of ranking). I actually won pretty easily which totally surprised me.

Man I'm feeling myself today in Ranked(waiting for BV to quote this with Choco face). Went 22-4 in the 26 matches I played. Started bad at 1-2 and finished 21-2 losing only to a Cammy that I beat 3-1 overall and a extremely laggy Blanka that went down to the wire when I teleported out of his Ultra and waited too long to punish.

To continue on with what I was saying about Cammy the other day. Went 5-1 overall against 3 different Cammy's who were all around my skill level. She may have gotten worse but she's still as terrifying as she was before minus the unblockables off back throw. I felt completely helpless trying to anti-air her or play footsies. Anytime you get anywhere near her, their is a good chance she's going to jump and do EX strike if she has meter. Simply knowing this isn't good enough to stop it as we all know. I tried to reaction DP and got hit before it could come out. Other times I tried to walk in low forward and the other guy jumped at the right time to hit me before I recovered from my cr. MK.

I know I'm not saying anything new, just want to vent my frustrations a bit. But I manage to beat her by playing lame as fuck in neutral and when I scored a hard knockdown I would run my ghetto vortex on her which actually is pretty effective as long as I time my jumps to stuff her DP(which I did successfully a few times) which scared them into not going for it. Aside from that I spent most rounds kind of terrified that I would get hit by mid screen drills or EX strike and die in a few combos. Thank goodness for this shitty teleport Evil Ryu has. It got me out of trouble several times. I guess they don't expect me to use it lol.

Marz

Man I'm feeling myself today in Ranked(waiting for BV to quote this with Choco face). Went 22-4 in the 26 matches I played. Started bad at 1-2 and finished 21-2 losing only to a Cammy that I beat 3-1 overall and a extremely laggy Blanka that went down to the wire when I teleported out of his Ultra and waited too long to punish.

To continue on with what I was saying about Cammy the other day. Went 5-1 overall against 3 different Cammy's who were all around my skill level. She may have gotten worse but she's still as terrifying as she was before minus the unblockables off back throw. I felt completely helpless trying to anti-air her or play footsies. Anytime you get anywhere near her, their is a good chance she's going to jump and do EX strike if she has meter. Simply knowing this isn't good enough to stop it as we all know. I tried to reaction DP and got hit before it could come out. Other times I tried to walk in low forward and the other guy jumped at the right time to hit me before I recovered from my cr. MK.

I know I'm not saying anything new, just want to vent my frustrations a bit. But I manage to beat her by playing lame as fuck in neutral and when I scored a hard knockdown I would run my ghetto vortex on her which actually is pretty effective as long as I time my jumps to stuff her DP(which I did successfully a few times) which scared them into not going for it. Aside from that I spent most rounds kind of terrified that I would get hit by mid screen drills or EX strike and die in a few combos. Thank goodness for this shitty teleport Evil Ryu has. It got me out of trouble several times. I guess they don't expect me to use it lol.

Yea it almost seems as if Viper, Ibuki, Akuma, Sakura, Cammy are just as good as they were in the last game.

Like lowering EX cannon strike from +14 to +8.....how is that even a nerf?

onionfrog

People online confuse me...
Why would you bother buying the digital upgrade, but still quit like a bitch after I beat them one round in ranked. (Not even a full match, just one round)
WTF man.

I'm not even that good at this game. :/

Top Bottom