• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Myn

I've never really noticed it until watching Sako do his combo on Rufus but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKi9D_GqoS8&t=7m53s

I noticed the impact of ERyu's axe kick actually shakes the ground and makes everything in the background bounce a bit (the dudes wasted on the ground are just flopping) that's a really cool detail. Does every stage have this kind of thing??

I've never really noticed it until watching Sako do his combo on Rufus but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKi9D_GqoS8&t=7m53s

I noticed the impact of ERyu's axe kick actually shakes the ground and makes everything in the background bounce a bit (the dudes wasted on the ground are just flopping) that's a really cool detail. Does every stage have this kind of thing??

Most of them do, yeah. Some are more subtle, but the effect is there.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ok, who's "nerf rose" on Steam :lol?

I need to try using Akuma versus Dan rather than using Rufus. It's one of those matchups where I'd really like to be able to just DP the fool.

Although using LP Snake Strike to totally shut down any attempt to use Danku to move forwards is fun.

Kaleinc

Banned
I just managed to watch evo replays starting with pools without spoiling GF, fu youtube lol. So important to find one reliable channel.
Wanted another winner but at least it wasn't fudo with his focus crumple, ultra shit. Rose was annoying since vanilla but the victory at evo was simply Luffy's day/days.

I need to try using Akuma versus Dan rather than using Rufus. It's one of those matchups where I'd really like to be able to just DP the fool.

Although using LP Snake Strike to totally shut down any attempt to use Danku to move forwards is fun.

Remember he gets less of an advantage if you block the Danku standing, too. Plus the pressure isn't a true blockstring either so Rufus' EX Messiah change might mean you can burst through its startup for more hits than AE 2012 (including FADC > Ultra?)

Sticking out jabs and standing mk as Rufus can stop Dan abusing hk/mk/EX Danku to get in, too.

I have a decent (though somewhat careless) Dan if you wanna learn the matchup for whatever reason (drawing Ixion in Dreamhack pools or something, ha).

mbpm1

Why'd he agree to my rematch then?
There was nothing wrong with my connection, he was just annoyed that my Rose was keeping him out, and he was playing Cody, so I knew everything he was gonna do.

Heh, I love having that inside knowledge for some matches.

Remember he gets less of an advantage if you block the Danku standing, too. Plus the pressure isn't a true blockstring either so Rufus' EX Messiah change might mean you can burst through its startup for more hits than AE 2012 (including FADC > Ultra?)

Sticking out jabs and standing mk as Rufus can stop Dan abusing hk/mk/EX Danku to get in, too.

I have a decent (though somewhat careless) Dan if you wanna learn the matchup for whatever reason (drawing Ixion in Dreamhack pools or something, ha).

You're on GAF? I think I have run into you several dozen times over the years on XBL. :)

I did not know Dan gets less adv if you stand block. I knew you got that with dive kicks.

mbpm1

Question. How is Guile on this game? Did he improve?

Buttons are better overall in terms of hitboxes and range. Got nerfed in that you can counterhit his sonic booms now leading to juicy damage and combos if the guile threw it at a bad moment, and he lost health and ultra 1 damage (but got ultra 2 damage upped).

Myn

I just managed to watch evo replays starting with pools without spoiling GF, fu youtube lol. So important to find one reliable channel.
Wanted another winner but at least it wasn't fudo with his focus crumple, ultra shit. Rose was annoying since vanilla but the victory at evo was simply Luffy's day/days.

I cry at the fact that Ultra 1's juggle buff does stupid damage as well. :(

DunpealD

Omg i swear i just got rekt by desk playing honda. How many times can you combo into fucking hands anyway?

Obviously a lot of times. Starts at about 0:50

I cry at the fact that Ultra 1's juggle buff does stupid damage as well. :(

Have to agree the damage buff is quite strong, but to be fair the chickenwing doesn't juggle fully against specific characters like females which also means no U1 juggle I think.

On the other hand Sagat got a 55 dmg nerf on air hit ultra 1 and f.HK 20 dmg nerf. Add to that the system change of Tiger uppercut FADC being -5 on hit it's quite excessive, since it weakens his defensive high damage threat a lot.
Not only that U2 juggles fully, but guess what... now it only does 255 damage instead of 387 in case of an air hit which is a damage nerf of 129 and the ground damage got nerfed from 384 to 357 too!
Sometimes I just don't know how they balance stuff. Red Focus, delayed wake up, cl. lk buff and Tiger Knee force stand buff are nowhere good enough to balance the negative changes out.

GGs man. Reppin' DAT DAN!

The lag was pretty bad when we started playing but things got much better by the end of the session.

Wasn't feeling Ryu too much yesterday and i really wanted to hit the ex srk into U2, but no dice :(.

FYI ,in AE2012 Dan, his knees were easily stuffed by c.lp so it's a nice option to know when you're in the corner and being pressured and I don't think they changed the knee too much in that regard except extending the hitbox downward. This is useful when using a character without a good wakeup move.

Marz

Have to agree the damage buff is quite strong, but to be fair the chickenwing doesn't juggle fully against specific characters like females which also means no U1 juggle I think.

On the other hand Sagat got a 55 dmg nerf on air hit ultra 1 and f.HK 20 dmg nerf. Add to that the system change of Tiger uppercut FADC being -5 on hit it's quite excessive, since it weakens his defensive high damage threat a lot.
Not only that U2 juggles fully, but guess what... now it only does 255 damage instead of 387 in case of an air hit which is a damage nerf of 129 and the ground damage got nerfed from 384 to 357 too!
Sometimes I just don't know how they balance stuff. Red Focus, delayed wake up, cl. lk buff and Tiger Knee force stand buff are nowhere good enough to balance the negative changes out.

Wasn't feeling Ryu too much yesterday and i really wanted to hit the ex srk into U2, but no dice :(.

FYI ,in AE2012 Dan, his knees were easily stuffed by c.lp so it's a nice option to know when you're in the corner and being pressured and I don't think they changed the knee too much in that regard except extending the hitbox downward. This is useful when using a character without a good wakeup move.

What cl.lk buff?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Holy shit. I had no idea.

Onemic

In those cases, use mk chickenwing instead of HK to get the 3 hit juggle to link to U1. It does around 10 less dmg I think?

Marz

Can cancel on second hit now.

Partial showing of Sagat Balance Changes in video form.

In retrospect USF4 arcade version 1 Bonchan said Sagat will be a powerful character. Ironically, in the console version it went straight downhill for Sagat.

Also it looks like the SRK USF4 wiki finally updated the data. Including highlighting the majority of the changes from the official complete changelist.

I was being sarcastic. Its not a buff at all its a complete joke you can't cancel the second hit except at point blank range. Go try it out its actually pretty funny.

Bsr_H0mCQAAOO6O.png

Not 20 minutes after the Evo finals and people in the Evo thread where whining that Rose was OP and should be nerfed.

Like WTF. She's always been designed as a mid-tier character. A pro player who's been using her day 1 Vanilla against a Sagat who took an extremely long time to realize that maybe he shouldn't be spamming fireballs at a character that's designed to deflect/absorb them won the tournament, and now she's suddenly OP.

xemumanic

Not 20 minutes after the Evo finals and people in the Evo thread where whining that Rose was OP and should be nerfed.

Like WTF. She's always been designed as a mid-tier character. A pro player who's been using her day 1 Vanilla against a Sagat who took an extremely long time to realize that maybe he shouldn't be spamming fireballs at a character that's designed to deflect/absorb them won the tournament, and now she's suddenly OP.

The stupid. It burns.

There's always going to be someone who complains.

RecklessWolf

Neo Member
I was playing a friend who only plays very casually. He was complaining that it was dumb every character didnt have a fireball and a DP. So I picked Yun and just went nuts. Man, the tears.

def sim

I was being sarcastic. Its not a buff at all its a complete joke you can't cancel the second hit except at point blank range. Go try it out its actually pretty funny.

huh dang

So, it's not a viable tool; duder was just full blown nerfed. Bummer.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Hi. I'm Hugo's Hammer Moutain Super. You may remember me from such hits as "Don't you dare throw that fireball!" and "Goddamn that shit goes through everything!!"

Alas, now I'm a mostly useless and slow piece of shit, smacked out of my attack by the littlest thing. Oh, and I don't hit overhead anymore because why the fuck not??

DunpealD

Bodied by internet sarcasm. Gonna take that L to the chest.

they forgot sharp knees

I think people forgot the most important point.

More broken than Vanilla Sagat, since he didn't win EVO and wasn't even in top 8 at EVO 2009. Which means... you got it! Bring back Vanilla Sagat! #VanillaSagatNotOP

Actually... You know what's shocking? EVO 2014 was the first time ever, in the history of SFIV, that a Sagat, Rose and Zangief(purist) got into top 8 of EVO.

Hi. I'm Hugo's Hammer Moutain Super. You may remember me from such hits as "Don't you dare throw that fireball!" and "Goddamn that shit goes through everything!!"

Alas, now I'm a mostly useless and slow piece of shit, smacked out of my attack by the littlest thing. Oh, and I don't hit overhead anymore because why the fuck not??
Haha. I actually use his super a ton. I really like it. If you're on this weekend, I'd enjoy running some Hugo mirrors. They're really fun. I think grappler fights are some of the most enjoyable matches in the game.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
"Jesus. Lag out the ass. Red connections everywhere. What the hell?? Hey, son, are you downloading anything on Steam?"

"Nope!"

"Are you sure?"

"Oh wait, yeah."

"..."

One of the biggest insults from the balance changes to me was the changes to Sagat's U2. Before if you juggled into it, you would get partial damage. Don't remember the number of hits, but the partial damage would add on another 234 damage if memory serves me right(So TU, FADC, U2 =354). They give him full hits, now it's a really fucking good Ultra. They nerf the damage to 309 against airborne opponents, it's still good since it does a bit more damage.

Then the final changes roll in and they nerf it down to 255. So TU, FADC, U2 now does 324 damage. Which is now LESS THAN BEFORE. But hey you get to see all the hits connect now so that's pretty cool, right? That and the supposed buff to cl. LK to allow a special cancel after the 2nd hit were such shitty teases to Sagat players who thought they were getting something pretty cool in USF4.

DunpealD

One of the biggest insults from the balance changes to me was the changes to Sagat's U2. Before if you juggled into it, you would get partial damage. Don't remember the number of hits, but the partial damage would add on another 234 damage if memory serves me right(So TU, FADC, U2 =354). They give him full hits, now it's a really fucking good Ultra. They nerf the damage to 309 against airborne opponents, it's still good since it does a bit more damage.

Then the final changes roll in and they nerf it down to 255. So TU, FADC, U2 now does 324 damage. Which is now LESS THAN BEFORE. But hey you get to see all the hits connect now so that's pretty cool, right?

Same thing happened with Dan, but less drastic. It's now 331 from 368.
I really want to know the reasoning behind these changes :/.
Wish we could create a complete catalog of changes like these and let Combofiend and co. answer them.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Mango: I *should* be on Saturday night, will post here to confirm. And please, do share your Hammer Mountain wisdom. I find it near useless :-(

Top Bottom