• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Will post again because it's as relevant as ever

You just have to fight her differently. Stay in her face. She can't do shit about it except backdash or ex spiral. Sagat vs Rose is actually my absolute favorite matchup to play as either character, so I was hype as fuck to see it for grand finals. Not in any way saying I would've done any better than Bonchan, but I really wish he would've just disrespected the hell out of Louffy, cause Louffy sure as fuck didn't respect anyone he fought in top 8.

Speaking of disrespectful play, I've been playing like I don't have an ounce of care in my body and I have been really enjoying it. Walk up dp's, mashing everything, unnecessarily blowing meter. Been getting a TON of hatemail though, haha.
hmmmm.....

I LIKE IT!!!!

thorgif

also, gat is not a shoto...

Nose Master

My roommate picked up Bison a week or so ago, and is already dropping him because of the Rose army online. It's glorious.

He tells me the match-up is bad, I have no idea.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Smh. I just played against the number 2 vega on xbl and i have no idea how this guy got to where he is. The only thing the man did was mash..and i mean MASH grab. I did just get bopped by jibbo's hugo who in my defense was a bit churn happy but hey.. he still played great. Also fuck you Viscant and your shitty bison. Im trying to take my loses in stride. It doesnt always work.

Smh. I just played against the number 2 vega on xbl and i have no idea how this guy got to where he is. The only thing the man did was mash..and i mean MASH grab. I did just get bopped by jibbo's hugo who in my defense was a bit churn happy but hey.. he still played great. Also fuck you Viscant and your shitty bison. Im trying to take my loses in stride. It doesnt always work.

You wanna play some matches on Xbox?

tmtyf

so after evo I'm definitely getting back into it. Should i go xbox360 or ps3 gaf? i haven't bought the update yet so i can go either or.

so after evo I'm definitely getting back into it. Should i go xbox360 or ps3 gaf? i haven't bought the update yet so i can go either or.
X360 has had more stable online recently, I hear, but PS3 has the larger GAF audience it seems. There's a Google Doc with folks' names in it.

FiggyCal

Banned
Stop throwing out fireballs like a noob.

If you are on PSN, I can practice the matchup with you.

Besides the slide, I don't think she can punish any of his balls outside of the corner and can't punish with ultra at all. It's pretty fustrating.

I'm on PSN now, but we might be in different skill ranges...

Besides the slide, I don't think she can punish any of his balls outside of the corner and can't punish with ultra at all. It's pretty fustrating.
Add me; PSN is Karsticles.

I will be on in a bit.

She can't punish the balls, but you can stuff them with jabs. Throw out lots of jabs to make me hesitant to roll at you.

Biker19

Banned
LMAO Im loving all of the Rose hate. Its ridiculous. Luffy played out of his goddamn mind thats why he won. His execution was damn near flawless but on top of that he got away with a ton of shit (yolo drills into super...who does that?). He's been puttin in a TON of work with her since Vanilla. I know since we used to train online together all the damn time.

I bet no one knows he got put out of Dreamhack 4 weeks ago by a Dan player....

Stop the hate and congratulate.

Yeah, I agree. Why are there a lot of Rose haters? She's one of my favorite characters in SF.

Rose's absorb boosts her projectile damage? I didn't know that, glad I popped in today I learned it.

I've known about it since the SF Zero/SF Alpha days. QCB+Punch, though the difference between punches varies.

LP, she absorbs the projectile & it boosts her Super Meter a lot more.

MP, she reflects the projectile back at the opponent straight forward.

HP, she reflects the projectile upward 45 Degrees, which I wouldn't even suggest trying.

hitsugi

Goddamn, Blanka is moving up to top tier and he didn't even place at Evo. Rose should be so lucky.

Rose has always been solid. People are just lazy. Sako demonstrated some interesting stuff with Rose years ago, and Luffy has shown great fundamentals.

Maulik

Pretty sure these don't work with PS4. I had issues with these pads and switched to the Street Fighter X Tekken pads, which are wired and more ergonomic, as soon as they became available. The wireless versions would randomly lose their signals and there were issues with local 2P play. Went through a number of these pads because of this.

Big issue i'm having is that I need a wireless solution. Are any of these kind of pads wireless or was the Ryu one for SF4 by MadCatz the only one ever released?

DunpealD

Damn, I've been using Rose for like a solid month straight and never knew she got damage boosts off of absorbing projectiles

yoooooo

Yes she can stack it up to 7 seven times and raise the damage of her normal to 108, ex to 136 and super to 407.

I really wanted Bonchan to take EVO. Either way I'd been fine with Snake Eyez or Louffy too. There's no doubt that Louffy was on fire this time, but using his Victory to call OP on Rose is quite overblown.

In the discussion about the cl.mk I have to agree it's really not that usable in defensive play, since it only wins against throws is neutral on block and nothing else that speaks for it. The usage of it is more offensive based like Guiles spinning kick to blow up crouch techs.

Overall looking at the top 8 it was certainly the players who made the characters work by super clutch moments and extremely solid play. Especially Snake Eyez, Louffy and Bonchan.

On the other hand the GF was quite sad to look at. It looked like Bonchan did not prepare himself against Louffy resulting in a complete blow up in the long range game and a complete loss of the first two matches. So the majority of the losses in GF were really on Bonchan.

Anyway I went around and looked for some matches with Louffy vs. Ryan Hart:

AE2012:
Paris World Warriors April 2013
Republic of Fighters May 2014
Dreamhack 2013

and the new one playing USF4:
Grand Street Battle USF4

Bonus(AE2012):
Daigo vs. Louffy FT5 MM
Dieminion vs. Louffy AiP3 GF
Dieminion vs. Louffy ROF13

Surprisingly all of them are won by Ryan Hart, on a special note on one tournament Ryan Hart counterpicked with Ryu and also won which was very close too. So in the particular matchup Rose vs Sagat it does seem to be at least an even matchup in AE. While Ryan Hart did win all of those fights one still has to be reminded that Louffy's strategy and quality of play was substantially different compared to the EVO match.
But what can be seen is that the matchup is like a tug-of-war like with Guile vs Dhalsim where they have fight over the life lead to force the opponent raise the amount of risky actions.

Considering the big damage buffs and on a lesser amount Sagats nerfs it's quite difficult to see how the matchup has changed in USF4. For now I'd say it's a wait and see.

Right now, looking at the actual balance changes, I'm more worried about Sagat. Especially since those changes did nothing to his worst matchups like Cammy... on the contrary they are even made worse.

Anyway on another topic. EU player here in case anybody wants to play either on PSN or PC(AE2012 or USF4 when it's out) PM me and I'll add. According to my experience East Coast is somewhere between red and yellow connection wise so the lag might not be too bad.

Jump over Blanka balls if you see them coming. Easy punish.

Also, my c.HP is getting stuck. :( Not a good one for Blanka to lose access to.

GGs.

FiggyCal

Banned
I just want to remind people, I might be wrong so...

Jump over Blanka balls if you see them coming. Easy punish.

Also, my c.HP is getting stuck. :( Not a good one for Blanka to lose access to.

GGs.

And here I thought you were going for counter hit set ups.

I see what you mean about stuffing the blanka balls.

I just want to remind people, I might be wrong so...

And here I thought you were going for counter hit set ups.

I see what you mean about stuffing the blanka balls.
Well sometimes wacky shit happens, I'm just super curious since I went through a ton of options with her day one to see what she could get off of ex rekkas.

Top Bottom