• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

El Sloth

Banned
lol holy shit meaty Raida just stuffed my wakeup U1 with Hugo. Also beat EX back breaker when I panicked to try and get out of the corner. That move is cray. Yet I rarely see Ibuki's use it.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Some good rounds at work today, all the people who picked the game up are starting to understand the basics and, best of all, they all use different characters! We got Elena, Rufus, Hugo, Rolento, Juri, Vega ... good variety all around.

Im still trying to find a new main, as Im tired of shotos. Ibuki was it for a while, but she just takes way too much damage. Im thinking Fei Long

mbpm1

lol holy shit meaty Raida just stuffed my wakeup U1 with Hugo. Also beat EX back breaker when I panicked to try and get out of the corner. That move is cray. Yet I rarely see Ibuki's use it.

Throw invincible brah. Found out when I picked up Ibuki a few days ago. As for why Ibukis don't use it...probably because vortex means she doesn't have to guess unsafely like that most of the time.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
How would you use it in 3rd Strike to close distance and then Gigas? They were two different supers :p
I'll just assume you meant SPD, haha.

I actually like Hugo more in this game since I can use all of his tools as opposed to.... none.

Yup, meant just SPD. I *strongly* disagree about liking Hugo more in SF4. Dude's just way too nimble---and terrifying--in 3S. Plus Hammer Mountain is much better, can use Backbreaker to close distance/punish fireball happy people, no "Mamaaaa!" or potato fetish. Also he doesn't look plain disturbing with his out of sync mouth all agape on the win pose like Ultra. Also, inputs weren't all screwed up for Meat Squasher! I do like that LK Lariat is useful in combos and that Armored FP Elbow is boss. Oh, and I can finally do Standing Gigas!

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I'm sure this has been asked before but...

Do you guys think the PC version would be the ideal platform for when Ultra hits for it?

I can either do the Digital Upgrade for that, or was planning on getting the retail copy for PS3 for all the costumes.

I'm just wondering because I heard that since the Steamworks patch the netcode has been iffy, and that Ultra's netcode on the PS3 was pretty iffy as well.

Myn

Do you guys think the PC version would be the ideal platform for when Ultra hits for it?

I can either do the Digital Upgrade for that, or was planning on getting the retail copy for PS3 for all the costumes.

I'm just wondering because I heard that since the Steamworks patch the netcode has been iffy, and that Ultra's netcode on the PS3 was pretty iffy as well.

From my personal experience, after the Ultra update for PS3, online has been terrible with random spikes and general lag even on green connections (I can't even connect to green connections anymore either for the most part) Steamworks patch is worse than GFWL for me as well. I've been playing online on that version recently and not only do matches lag for me now, but they also sometimes just drop completely out of nowhere.

It's hard to say whether or not online for Ultra PC will be better or not. I think the best thing to do would be to wait it out and see everyone's experiences with it.

colinp

Banned
From my personal experience, after the Ultra update for PS3, online has been terrible with random spikes and general lag even on green connections (I can't even connect to green connections anymore either for the most part) Steamworks patch is worse than GFWL for me as well. I've been playing online on that version recently and not only do matches lag for me now, but they also sometimes just drop completely out of nowhere.

It's hard to say whether or not online for Ultra PC will be better or not. I think the best thing to do would be to wait it out and see everyone's experiences with it.

I'm in Japan and all my local Japan matches on steam are faaaaaaaantastic. I don't think it's necessarily just Steamworks.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

Thanks for the response! Will definitely keep my eye out for the Steam version.

I get happy when someone with a lot of pp joins my lobby, then I get sad when they cycle through 4 of their characters in 4 games and leave when they get scraped/I get tired of fighting their shitty alts and kick them.

Funnily enough, the only high pp dude who's showed me some good stuff was named DJ Still Sucks. Shit made me laugh when it popped up.
That doesn't bother me much as I don't expect people to play their main all the time, but what does bother me is when someone wins with a character and then switches. That pisses me off more than anything else in the game.

I pick my next character based on who you beat me with, DON'T FUCKING SWITCH. I don't mind if you've already beaten me like 5 times, but just once and I get furious.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Finally messed around with Mak a bit and gatdam she feels pretty powerful. That ex fukiage is too sick.

That doesn't bother me much as I don't expect people to play their main all the time, but what does bother me is when someone wins with a character and then switches. That pisses me off more than anything else in the game.

I pick my next character based on who you beat me with, DON'T FUCKING SWITCH. I don't mind if you've already beaten me like 5 times, but just once and I get furious.

Yeah I don't expect people to always play their mains and always be super serious, but it's annoying when I play an hour's worth of endless with randoms and I don't get even one dude who isn't just fucking around. I'm trying to learn about the game and get my legs back after not playing sf4 for like a year before Monday, and my time is limited nowadays.

Oh well. Friends onry for that from here on I guess.

Finally messed around with Mak a bit and gatdam she feels pretty powerful. That ex fukiage is too sick.

Yeah I don't expect people to always play their mains and always be super serious, but it's annoying when I play an hour's worth of endless with randoms and I don't get even one dude who isn't just fucking around. I'm trying to learn about the game and get my legs back after not playing sf4 for like a year before Monday, and my time is limited nowadays.

Oh well. Friends onry for that from here on I guess.
I'm not that great, but I'll play you sometime. What system are you on?

Sheroking

Ideal in terms of how it looks and the online connections, but probably an inferior group of players online.

lHjL8qi.jpg
"Someone is mad."
"At least I can spell 'faggot.'"
Damn...#rekt

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Man, I have yet to get hate mail. I got one guy sending me a "Damn, GG! That was close!" and I'm thinking no, that was a terrible game and I hope I never run into you again in Ranked or I might throw my stick at the TV if my eyes don't glaze over out of sheer boredom first.

Anyway, decided to break out my Hori today to get some Seimitsu stick action. Forgot I preferred the bigger footprint of the HRAP.

Got a film class tonight so may be on late night if anyone is up for it.

alstein

I get it a ton. Usually it's from folks who win more than folks who lose though.

As for PC netcode, if it's no better than laggy PSN (I had laggy Ken after laggy Ken today, with the rare low-lag match), I'll probably just drop the game. I won't play games with unplayable online. AE on PC was fine, PSN Ultra isn't.

Even when I know someone is about to throw me crouch teching doesn't seem to be working. Is PSN so bad that it drops my tech? Or does mashing crouch tech too quickly cause it to fail? I'm not sure what's happening here.

For example, at least a half second before the throw (sometimes) I've started inputting either a normal throw or a crouch tech and I'll simply be thrown. I can't seem to stop 80% of the throws I predict well before they happen.

Time to keep being free. Thanks for listening, GAF.

kirblar

Even when I know someone is about to throw me crouch teching doesn't seem to be working. Is PSN so bad that it drops my tech? Or does mashing crouch tech too quickly cause it to fail? I'm not sure what's happening here.

For example, at least a half second before the throw (sometimes) I've started inputting either a normal throw or a crouch tech and I'll simply be thrown. I can't seem to stop 80% of the throws I predict well before they happen.

It's probably PSN lag. I have the same issue with Fuerte reversals using EX Q-Bomb. Nothing happens and I lose my charge.

alstein

That's my number 1 issue with AE online. I eat so many throws that way, and why online play people just go for throws over and over without much setup.

Top Bottom