• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

thelastword

Banned
I hate so many things about the new thawk, 623k for spire sucks, same input as tomahawk buster but with k? What is this nonsense. The spire might be faster but it is not as safe to use it since it's a forward move. In Ae 2012, I could use spire to quickly punish a whiffed move since my finger would already be on back, I could also easily follow that up with a 240 spd since my finger would default to back during the spire.

What they should have changed is the input for Ultra 2 for hawk, it should have been like Hugo's U2 which is 2xQCF. 2xHCB/F's is bad news for grapplers who play on pad as it's an awkward input to execute in a pressure situation, If not, then they should make his u2 like gief's which is a 720 motion, anything but hcb/f's, please no hc's.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
On a roll today- Just beat a Cody player named "Ace-Dizzle16" with Hugo. Want to say that he had around 2000 PP already and his Cody was 4000-5000 BP.

The reason I don't know for sure is because he rage quit when I finished him with an Ultra.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Another fun Hugo match. He kicked me after I won, LOL. People seem to get really agitated when I use this character. He's like the Dan of grapplers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzdPydwXnDk

Also fought an insane Gief player who murdered me for 3-4 straight matches. I was laughing my ass off -in amazement- at how easily he was able to counter everything I was doing and pile drive me to death. Gief >>>>> Hugo, holy shit. But I'm not giving up on the character.

Sorry if this has been discussed already but does anybody else have a problem with PSN in Ultra version. In SSF4 I usually got a lagless match with only two bars but now either I'm unable to join session or in the rare occasion (1 in about 20) when I do join the other player randomly disconnects during the first round. never happened before in SSF4.

Finally got my new PS3 and I've been waiting for the standalone release for a while.

I'm extremely out of practice though and I'm sure I'll get bodied once I hop online.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
im thinking about getting the retail since it has all the costumes

capcom pls

Another fun Hugo match. He kicked me after I won, LOL. People seem to get really agitated when I use this character. He's like the Dan of grapplers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzdPydwXnDk

Also fought an insane Gief player who murdered me for 3-4 straight matches. I was laughing my ass off -in amazement- at how easily he was able to counter everything I was doing and pile drive me to death. Gief >>>>> Hugo, holy shit. But I'm not giving up on the character.

All the Hugo love in this thread is hitting me like a Gigas right in the heart. *TRIPLE CLAP SALUTE TO MY BRETHREN*

Family obligations are keeping me away from Ultra till at least Monday so please, Lyte, regale us with more of your Man Mountain adventures. The Butt Round from your earlier post was amazing.

Onemic

Sorry if this has been discussed already but does anybody else have a problem with PSN in Ultra version. In SSF4 I usually got a lagless match with only two bars but now either I'm unable to join session or in the rare occasion (1 in about 20) when I do join the other player randomly disconnects during the first round. never happened before in SSF4.

Ya, it's a thing. Happens in the PC version as well.

Ultra's netcode is terrible.

Shouta

I hate so many things about the new thawk, 623k for spire sucks, same input as tomahawk buster but with k? What is this nonsense. The spire might be faster but it is not as safe to use it since it's a forward move. In Ae 2012, I could use spire to quickly punish a whiffed move since my finger would already be on back, I could also easily follow that up with a 240 spd since my finger would default to back during the spire.

What they should have changed is the input for Ultra 2 for hawk, it should have been like Hugo's U2 which is 2xQCF. 2xHCB/F's is bad news for grapplers who play on pad as it's an awkward input to execute in a pressure situation, If not, then they should make his u2 like gief's which is a 720 motion, anything but hcb/f's, please no hc's.

623 is the best motion for Spire. It's easier to use as a tool as you're trying to gain ground, what it was intended to be used for. This is especially true in matches against fireball characters. It's not any less safe than before either. In fact, it's probably safer because you won't get stuffed while it's starting up. And you can 270 SPD going from forward to up as well.

Wiseblade

Fuerte's not a grappler. One of the things that irks me about the design. Honda and Abel are more grapplers than fuerte.

BTW Hawk needs a lot of patience also, esp in his many bad matchups.
Fuerte has three different command grabs and both of his Ultras are grabs. Just because he isn't a giant glacier doesn't mean he isn't a grapple oriented character.

I swear every time I have a good streak going I run into smug and get curb stomped, that matchup can be pretty rough. Good day of matches, but time to get something else done. I feel ashamed about how glad I am for incoming Hawaiian Blanka...

At the Omni hotel waiting for the US4 tourney to start.

Good luck!

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Ya, it's a thing. Happens in the PC version as well.

Ultra's netcode is terrible.

What are the odds of this being fixed?

I'm still torn on preordering retail PS3 version and digital upgrade for Steam.

thelastword

Banned
623 is the best motion for Spire. It's easier to use as a tool as you're trying to gain ground, what it was intended to be used for. This is especially true in matches against fireball characters. It's not any less safe than before either. In fact, it's probably safer because you won't get stuffed while it's starting up. And you can 270 SPD going from forward to up as well.
I find that if they would have left the input how it was and just made the motion faster, that in itself would prevent spire from being stuffed as much. I would also have preferred Capcom keeping spire as a punch button too since comboing into TB would also be easier (EX at least).

I like to 270 spd from back instead of front because if I decide to change my mind quickly, my finger is already on back/block, imo it's safer in that respect. Personally I will never just spd with front unless I buffer a block then go for it. Even then, rocking forward and then back I would still most likely spd with back.

Thing is I heard so many things about thawk prior to ultra that I was really anticipating his changes but I ended up not liking it, yet I was really enjoying playing a pocket thawk just prior to ultra's release in Ae 2012. So maybe I can get used to his new spire if I spend some time but at least make his U2 easily comboable like hugo and make it qcfx2 at least.

What are the odds of this being fixed?

I'm still torn on preordering retail PS3 version and digital upgrade for Steam.
There's another big patch coming to fix hitbox issues and it will probably be available when the retail disc is released.. We will only know if it's fixed then because Capcom isn't very open about what they are patching...

Oh man, T Hawk and Rufus' new costumes are pretty wonderful. I like Dan's too but I don't know if it's good enough to replace his grass skirt. Depends on whether or not is has a good pink variant I guess.

Really liking Oni and Balrogs costumes. Abel too, nice to have an alt with a shirt :p

I really like Poison's new costume, too bad I think she's boring to play.

Sayad

Anyone tried to play this game with a DS4? When I did few days ago, the diagonal inputs couldn't be pressed on the d-pad, so you can't block down, jump forward/backward or do any move with circular motions!!

x Misogi

Anyone tried to play this game with a DS4? When I did few days ago, the diagonal inputs couldn't be pressed on the d-pad, so you can't block down, jump forward/backward or do any move with circular motions!!

You sure?

I always play PC/PS3 SF with a DS4 and I haven't had too much trouble doing circular motions. I'll check again once I'm home.

stn

Most of those alts suck, then again I prefer serious-themed costumes as opposed to "joke" alts. Still, will buy the alts for Gouken, Oni, Seth, and Fei-Long. Honda's is also good. The rest mostly suck.

vg260

Oh man, some are really good, but most of those are completely hideous. Just terrible.

What were they thinking with Rose's. Yeesh.

All I wanted were the rest of the SFxT alts. Most of those are pretty good.

Top Bottom