• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

I think she looks better than most of the cast, plus her animations are fluid.

street-fighter-iv-screens-20090120094239033_640w.jpg

That's nowhere near as bad as gief who looks like a shitty 80ties action figure
They fixed her face since her beta days, but her proportions remain all out of whack. It's especially obvious when she's wearing, well, any of her alternate costumes to reveal how grotesque they are... though to be fair that's a regular occurance in SFIV. She just looks comically bad and the worst out of all female characters, which is why she's Zangief-tier in my book in terms of overall look.

As much as I dislike MvC3's gameplay and aesthetics, at least the modelers for that game had a superior crack (soulless face notwithstanding) at portraying Chun:

hqkryl.png
knwsne.png

Totally love Rufus' costume above all others. Amazing. And T Hawk's too; it's adorable.

They should give Rufus a King Cobra alt, but keep him as obese as always. That would be perfect.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
They fixed her face since her beta days, but her proportions remain all out of whack. It's especially obvious when she's wearing, well, any of her alternate costumes to reveal how grotesque they are... though to be fair that's a regular occurance in SFIV. She just looks comically bad and the worst out of all female characters, which is why she's Zangief-tier in my book in terms of overall look.
Proportions can be forgiven, but her arms are modeled really really poorly and it shows when she's not covering them up. Also, if you do fierce kikouken in a costume that doesn't have her wearing a dress then you get to see her magically flatten her ass against an invisible wall behind her.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

As much as I dislike MvC3's gameplay and aesthetics, at least the modelers for that game had a superior crack (soulless face notwithstanding) at portraying Chun:

hqkryl.png
knwsne.png

The proportions are more of a design choice based on art direction. Most of the cast has ridiculous proportions, Ryu's hands are almost bigger than his head. As far as the alternate costumes go that is more due to capcom's laziness than anything else. Its why the twins always have baggy pants in their alts, because they didn't want to have to remodel their lower bodies. But Chun looks the worst out of all female characters? No way. Have you SEEN Cammy? She looks like a 9 year old boy. If you repainted her model with Yang's clothing she would totally look like shes his little brother. What about Viper? That chest..dear god. Viper's crotch and lower body are so bad John Carpenter could write a screenplay about it.

DunpealD

The proportions are more of a design choice based on art direction. Most of the cast has ridiculous proportions, Ryu's hands are almost bigger than his head.

Somebody needs to post a pic where Ryu stands right next to Decapre in preorder alt costume and take a look at their feet. The differences in proportions are ridiculous.

The proportions are more of a design choice based on art direction. Most of the cast has ridiculous proportions, Ryu's hands are almost bigger than his head. As far as the alternate costumes go that is more due to capcom's laziness than anything else. Its why the twins always have baggy pants in their alts, because they didn't want to have to remodel their lower bodies. But Chun looks the worst out of all female characters? No way. Have you SEEN Cammy? She looks like a 9 year old boy. If you repainted her model with Yang's clothing she would totally look like shes his little brother. What about Viper? That chest..dear god. Viper's crotch and lower body are so bad John Carpenter could write a screenplay about it.
Hey, for all the faults you brought up for Cammy and Viper (which I agree with), at least they haven't been reduced to a hodgepodge of mismatched proportions like Chun-Li. It being as a deliberate design choice doesn't really fly either, considering that SFIV's general art direction is all-around horrible.

DunpealD

Vanilla Akuma. Loops + vortex were just way too fun to do.

A tossup between 2012/Ultra Fuerte. 180 Damage Fajita and good Q Bombs vs a corpse-hopping shower kick and killing delayed wakeup.

Super Adon with that tournament winning wakeup speed.

Super Dhalsim

Edition Select in online mode will be fun, that's quite an unexpected variety.

Sephzilla

*Pokes head in here*

Hey guys,
So I primarily played SF4 on my PS3 but it turns out most of my online buddies have moved over to SF4 on 360. I don't have an arcade stick (prefer pad) but I don't have anything good to play on and kind of refuse to play on a 360 pad.

Does anyone know of a good PS2 controller adapter for 360 that would suit my needs?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Hey, for all the faults you brought up for Cammy and Viper (which I agree with), at least they haven't been reduced to a hodgepodge of mismatched proportions like Chun-Li. It being as a deliberate design choice doesn't really fly either, considering that SFIV's general art direction is all-around horrible.

Im not a fan of the art direction either. I don't necessarily think its horrible, since there's hits and misses, but i do think its inconsistent. Chun might have mangled proportions but she's at least identifiable as a human female. Cammy is barely identifiable as a human and Rose is threading 'female' waters questionably. But i digress. Whatever the next game ends up looking like I hope they take visual cues from Xrd and do a better job at both design and modeling.

Degen

I've used the Madcatz SF4 pad, the PDP one, a cheap PS2 adapter, and the silver official controller with the "better" D-pad

nothing beats an adapter.

kirblar

The bizarro proportions in SF4 are in large part due to the need to do both 4:3 and 16:9 scaling. If you put them into a CRT proportion, they actually look pretty normal.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The bizarro proportions in SF4 are in large part due to the need to do both 4:3 and 16:9 scaling. If you put them into a CRT proportion, they actually look pretty normal.
SF4 on a CRT vertically expands the stage view and stretches the UI but the character models remain the same.

Underpass, Skate Park and (Ugh) Old Temple get a lot of play around my parts.

i only pick the stages with music i like: overpass, drive-in at night, morning mist bay, half pipe, pit stop, jurassic park for the lols (this might be the new volcanic rim), blast furnace, solar eclipse.

i'm pretty finnicky about the music, so i'm constantly changing between stage, arranged, and if i'm in on a long endless session i just play music from my ps3.

The Space Station might be my new favorite level, both design and music-wise. Plus there's not a whole lot going on in the background for lag or whatever.

The Space Station might be my new favorite level, both design and music-wise. Plus there's not a whole lot going on in the background for lag or whatever.

oh yeah, forgot about that stage. if mad gear hideout kept the round 1 music from sfxt i'd be picking it all the time.

i swear, the stage lag thing never really impacted me until ultra.

Tekniqs

Any west coast based "Guy" player here? I need to learn that match up with Evil Ryu. Can't low profile to cover his flip/jump ins anymore =(

FSLink

Banned
Yup. Cosmic Elevator for life.
I dunno wtf us up with the new music in Pit Stop 109. The SFxT was wacky but it at least fit the stage.

so has the PS3 version performing worse been a subject of discussion? Most of the maps aren't playable anymore, specially if you play against vipers or other characters with lots of effects. Loading times are atrocious now. Like seriously, before you could just spam start to skip the victory quotes and head right into the rematch. Now, you have time to read an entire Rufus win quote. What gives? Capcom plz fix! Shit is sloppy.

Any west coast based "Guy" player here? I need to learn that match up with Evil Ryu. Can't low profile to cover his flip/jump ins anymore =(

I just saw your post on SRK, I'll post my thoughts here. And my thoughts are "I don't know either" lol. I don't think it's a bad match up for Evil Ryu but I must admit he's really fucking annoying. I guess wrong a lot when it comes to when he does or doesn't elbow drop and the run slide/overhead. My best advice is to try your best to react, which isn't saying much because I get baited a lot myself.

I honestly don't even know how to describe the match up. Stuff happens and hopefully you win. The match can be kind of random because Guy's shenanigans can lead to big damage for you or him. I also try to annoy them back with dive kick since they're so use to anti-airing with normals. Yeah, that's pretty much all I got so I guess we're probably in the same boat.

Someone tried to counterpick me in Ranked just now. I beat his Bison with Hawk, and he spends the first 15-20 seconds waiting in the next match, then picks Honda. It didn't work, hilariously.

Im not a fan of the art direction either. I don't necessarily think its horrible, since there's hits and misses, but i do think its inconsistent. Chun might have mangled proportions but she's at least identifiable as a human female. Cammy is barely identifiable as a human and Rose is threading 'female' waters questionably. But i digress. Whatever the next game ends up looking like I hope they take visual cues from Xrd and do a better job at both design and modeling.
Xrd's engine is a fantastic work-around to accomplish that '2D sprite look' but with character designs like new-Millia, new-Potemkin, Sin Kiske, Ramlethal and worst of all Bedman, it's all too apparent to me that Arc Systems has lost their marbles ever since BlazBlu. The latter which consisted of nothing but repulsive creations. They even succeeded in making their posterboy Sol Badguy look worse than both their prototype versions, even when one of them was intended to be a joke! If Capcom does end up taking a page or two from their book, I hope it's never for the actual character design side of things because it's barely an improvement from SFIV's hideous work as it stands.

I still don't agree about Chun but whatevs, differing opinions.

Which reminds me: I hope the PC version gets a mod that pushes the look of the SF x T stages closer to how they looked originally. The Space Station looks incredibly flat in Ultra.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Xrd's engine is a fantastic work-around to accomplish that '2D sprite look' but with character designs like new-Millia, new-Potemkin, Sin Kiske, Ramlethal and worst of all Bedman, it's all too apparent to me that Arc Systems has lost their marbles ever since BlazBlu. The latter which consisted of nothing but repulsive creations. They even succeeded in making their posterboy Sol Badguy look worse than both their prototype versions, even when one of them was intended to be a joke! If Capcom does end up taking a page or two from their book, I hope it's never for the actual character design side of things because it's barely an improvement from SFIV's hideous work as it stands.

Didn't UDON also have a hand in Xrd's designs? Would explain a lot.

Top Bottom