• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Spuck-uk

Banned
Xrd's engine is a fantastic work-around to accomplish that '2D sprite look' but with character designs like new-Millia, new-Potemkin, Sin Kiske, Ramlethal and worst of all Bedman, it's all too apparent to me that Arc Systems has lost their marbles ever since BlazBlu. The latter which consisted of nothing but repulsive creations. They even succeeded in making their posterboy Sol Badguy look worse than both their prototype versions, even when one of them was intended to be a joke! If Capcom does end up taking a page or two from their book, I hope it's never for the actual character design side of things because it's barely an improvement from SFIV's hideous work as it stands.

I still don't agree about Chun but whatevs, differing opinions.

Which reminds me: I hope the PC version gets a mod that pushes the look of the SF x T stages closer to how they looked originally. The Space Station looks incredibly flat in Ultra.

If you don't like new Potemkin I don't even know what to say man.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Only saw the alt costumes the day before yesterday, haven't really been checking Street Fighter stuff the last week so that was a surprise to me when I read people talking about costumes in a Twitch chat for Marvel.

I like about half of them, with only a couple that I really like, the rest are really ugly to me.

Like Makoto - not only does it look ugly and not only a bigger mismatch for her than alts usually are here, but it reminds me so much like that plumber alt for Rolento anyways.

My biggest problem with Dee Jay's alt is the out-of-place peace sign, like I was back in the 90's. I like the kick boxer theme, and his hair probably moves. Too bad Dee Jay is the way he is. Same deal with Honda - great costume, but the character himself is weaker for no damn reason.

Hugo finally got a decent alt, Decapre looks like she needs a few sandwiches which is strange since her regular model has the same body as Cammy.

Love, love Fuerte's alt, with the belt and everything. He's good enough to rock it now too once again, which he wasn't since 2012. Hakan's is simple but it works and looks good too.

Balrog is still on his stream of boss-looking alts, and there is FINALLY a Vega alt I really like. Always hated his alts. Blanka has the tamest alt he's ever had, but still fun like the rest of his alts, all of which I like. Sagat's is boss as well too. And I love Dudley's and Dan's a lot - almost enough to play them just on those alone. Guy's would have been perfect if is wasn't for the bottom half. Zangief's is cool as hell.

Hey, for all the faults you brought up for Cammy and Viper (which I agree with), at least they haven't been reduced to a hodgepodge of mismatched proportions like Chun-Li. It being as a deliberate design choice doesn't really fly either, considering that SFIV's general art direction is all-around horrible.

Everyone's got exaggerated proportions though. With "normal-sized" Chun-Li, she always had huge thighs, so with SF4 Chun you can't make the rest of her bigger without keeping the proportion of her thighs.

nded

SF4 on a CRT vertically expands the stage view and stretches the UI but the character models remain the same.

Yep, but they do take up a lower percentage of the overall screen space in 4:3 mode.

4DWLxH1.jpg

puqem1b.jpg

Apart from a bunch of weird modelling issues, I think some of the perceived chunkiness of SFIV characters is due to how zoomed in 16:9 mode is. The SFIV characters don't really seem that much out of proportion compared to earlier incarnations.

V2sXpx9.png

O8Fu06u.png

Lots of characters definitely stopped skipping leg day though.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Xrd's engine is a fantastic work-around to accomplish that '2D sprite look' but with character designs like new-Millia, new-Potemkin, Sin Kiske, Ramlethal and worst of all Bedman, it's all too apparent to me that Arc Systems has lost their marbles ever since BlazBlu. The latter which consisted of nothing but repulsive creations. They even succeeded in making their posterboy Sol Badguy look worse than both their prototype versions, even when one of them was intended to be a joke! If Capcom does end up taking a page or two from their book, I hope it's never for the actual character design side of things because it's barely an improvement from SFIV's hideous work as it stands.

Arc has indeed gone full retard. But that's anime for you. Yes. GG is now anime.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Are you arguing GG was at some point not ultra duper anime?

Because I remember the first ps1 game and it was all uguuu am I kawaiiii????

It always was but that was before we had a billion melty and persona looking games coming out every year. I always lumped GGX with games like Last Blade, Garou and RotG. Now though..not so much.

Someone tried to counterpick me in Ranked just now. I beat his Bison with Hawk, and he spends the first 15-20 seconds waiting in the next match, then picks Honda. It didn't work, hilariously.

Is Hawk still free to full screen headbutt chip damage? I haven't played much honda at all since ultra dropped. do you think the matchup is less lopsided now?

alstein

Is Hawk still free to full screen headbutt chip damage? I haven't played much honda at all since ultra dropped. do you think the matchup is less lopsided now?

It is, though still 6-4 Honda IMO. THe big buff for Hawk here is walkspeed.
EX headbutt nerf for Honda also helps some.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
So am I no longer crazy for thinking the Xrd design for Sol is the equivalent to Ryu/Ken's shitty SF4 designs

You're not crazy. Ryu/Ken is easily the most common archetype in fighting games. Oddly enough the shoto design or its equivalent is also the most bloated palette swap design in most fighting games. Increase walk speed, decrease stamina, change their hair color and the color of plasma effects..voila. Evil,Violent, Shin, Robo, Holy, Old, Devil, NESTS,Serious, EX ..zzzzzzz

The guy I played, I think he forgot that Butt Splash existed, because he was super free to crossups and couldn't headbutt through them.

The match still sucks for Hawk because only EX headbutt is the one he can punish.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I think i got the best xbl message ever. I got a sim player dizzy in the corner, and finished him with mk, mk, upkick, ex upkick. His message read ' I ain't even mad, but did you have to kill me like that tho?'

Don't know about you guys but every match I have against the Elena is basically me vs the slide. I have to inch forward and crouch because they will do it anytime they think they see a opening. Don't matter how unsafe it is on block, it's coming. I haven't practiced how to punish it properly yet, instead I keep mashing DP for a guarantee punish. I should though, maybe that will stop all these idiots from using it at mid range.

Onemic

Don't know about you guys but every match I have against the Elena is basically me vs the slide. I have to inch forward and crouch because they will do it anytime they think they see a opening. Don't matter how unsafe it is on block, it's coming. I haven't practiced how to punish it properly yet, instead I keep mashing DP for a guarantee punish. I should though, maybe that will stop all these idiots from using it at mid range.

Focus and punish

Focus and punish

I'm afraid of getting hit by HP mallet smash into full combo since the range they normally use it from is mid range which is close enough for mallet smash to hit. I guess I could focus back dash to try and bait mallet smash though. I'll just have to test stuff out and see what I can do.

EDIT: BTW, I tried Ken's kara air tatsu for the first time in training mode. This thing is ridiculous. It travels farther and faster than his old air tatu's. I had Ultra Ken and Vanilla Ryu standing as far apart as possible in the training room to compare Ken's new kara air tatsu against Ryu'd old escape tatsu. With Ryu I got 10 and half squares but I manage to get 11 with Ken. So excluding his old EX tatsu, it looks like this one is the new king since it beat Vanilla Ryu's(and Akuma?) best. Not sure about Sakura since I never tested hers. Although it's good, never looked like it had the same kind of travel distance as the others.

I love SF4, but I really wish there could be a casual scene online. Unfortunately it's nothing but hardcore players, which kills any chance of a casual scene ever happening.
2JGJRQg.jpg

Wow, those new character outfits are almost universally awful.
A lot of the designs just look like a bizarre mish-mash of uglyness that somehow form a costume.
Scuba-Rufus, Samurai-Honda and Aquaman-Gouken look reasonable. The rest are hideous.
Nothing sexy for the girls either? I guess Bison-Cammy will continue to reign as the greatest SF4 outfit.

I love SF4, but I really wish there could be a casual scene online. Unfortunately it's nothing but hardcore players, which kills any chance of a casual scene ever happening.
2JGJRQg.jpg
Make lobbies titled for beginners or low PP?
A lot of the designs just look like a bizarre mish-mash of uglyness that somehow form a costume.
Scuba-Rufus, Samurai-Honda and Aquaman-Gouken look reasonable. The rest are hideous.
Nothing sexy for the girls either? I guess Bison-Cammy will continue to reign as the greatest SF4 outfit.
What about a Cammy-Bison outfit?

image.php

Thanks for the laughs.

petran79

Banned
Hey, for all the faults you brought up for Cammy and Viper (which I agree with), at least they haven't been reduced to a hodgepodge of mismatched proportions like Chun-Li. It being as a deliberate design choice doesn't really fly either, considering that SFIV's general art direction is all-around horrible.

Some pc mods correct chunli's body and leg proportions significantly. There was one for cammy too: Ass increase

Yaven

Banned
Herro everyone! I'm new here. Add me on XBL if you want to play a newb Akuma. Still learning some of the basics.

XBL GT = Vindris SNH

cHaotix8

Can't wait for the new Dudley costume. Team Rich Boy checking in.

And anyone serious about playing Ultra and looking for useful information should definitely check out the Brady Games guide. It has hitboxes, frame data, GOOD combo and setup information as well as general gameplay advise. The guys who wrote it have been active in the scene for years and all know what they're talking about, so expect the content to be top notch. Also, Capcom actually didn't provide the frame data for Ultra, so it all had to be mined manually by these guys. The other frame data apps you see on the mobile markets actually stole their frame data from the Brady guys (they were mining the data manually 2 months before its release, there's no way any other group could get it without getting a build of the game directly from Capcom), so it would mean a lot to me if the FGC would support the guys who actually did all the hard work to get this information out to the public.

tldr: Pick up the Brady Guide if you want useful information and want to support hard work in the FGC!

Myn

Can't wait for the new Dudley costume. Team Rich Boy checking in.

And anyone serious about playing Ultra and looking for useful information should definitely check out the Brady Games guide. It has hitboxes, frame data, GOOD combo and setup information as well as general gameplay advise. The guys who wrote it have been active in the scene for years and all know what they're talking about, so expect the content to be top notch. Also, Capcom actually didn't provide the frame data for Ultra, so it all had to be mined manually by these guys. The other frame data apps you see on the mobile markets actually stole their frame data from the Brady guys (they were mining the data manually 2 months before its release, there's no way any other group could get it without getting a build of the game directly from Capcom), so it would mean a lot to me if the FGC would support the guys who actually did all the hard work to get this information out to the public.

tldr: Pick up the Brady Guide if you want useful information and want to support hard work in the FGC!

I've always loved the ease of access of strategy guides. I think the unfortunate thing about a physical guide though is that if the game is going to receive another major update, then some of the frame data and hotboxes would be inaccurate. I'll probably pick one up though and have it around when casual friends come over so they can read about SF4 and learn a little. It worked with the Umvc3 guide that came out a long time ago.

cHaotix8

I think it will be interesting to see how Capcom deals with Ultra moving forward. Part of me thinks the game is fine balance wise except in regards to frame data on certain moves that were updated lazily (Sagat tiger knee stuff and Yun Genei Jin frame for example). I think aside from the new characters hurtboxes and a couple small tweaks here and there (lol DeeJay), this is probably the best balanced version of SFIV to date.
Nerf Chun

Marz

I think it will be interesting to see how Capcom deals with Ultra moving forward. Part of me thinks the game is fine balance wise except in regards to frame data on certain moves that were updated lazily (Sagat tiger knee stuff and Yun Genei Jin frame for example). I think aside from the new characters hurtboxes and a couple small tweaks here and there (lol DeeJay), this is probably the best balanced version of SFIV to date.
Nerf Chun

Tiger knee stuff? You mean tiger shot?

Shouta

Yes! Don't know why they changed that. My theory was to help Hugo out a little but that matchup is always going to be bad for him, Tiger shot or not.

If I had to guess, they figured that Neutral game would be much stronger and that's where Sagat excels. They nerfed high tiger shot a bit so that folks had a small hole to get in when necessary.

I could be wrong though, lol

DunpealD

Yes! Don't know why they changed that. My theory was to help Hugo out a little but that matchup is always going to be bad for him, Tiger shot or not.

Bonchan won Topanga A league is the obvious answer, Kappa. Whether there's much to balance or not it remains to be seen. EVO 2014 seemed to be a good display of character knowledge vs. tiers. The question is how does it change in the future.

I think aside from the obvious character like Dan/DeeJay some other characters like Ryu(doesn't benefit from new mechanics, except DWU which also hurts his offense), Sagat(due to nerfs), Honda, Dhalsim, Gouken, Oni and some others are still in a difficult place.

Bonchan won Topanga A league is the obvious answer, Kappa. Whether there's much to balance or not it remains to be seen. EVO 2014 seemed to be a good display of character knowledge vs. tiers. The question is how does it change in the future.

I think aside from the obvious character like Dan/DeeJay some other characters like Ryu(doesn't benefit from new mechanics, except DWU which also hurts his offense), Sagat(due to nerfs), Honda, Dhalsim, Gouken, Oni and some others are still in a difficult place.
What's wrong with Gouken?

cHaotix8

If I had to guess, they figured that Neutral game would be much stronger and that's where Sagat excels. They nerfed high tiger shot a bit so that folks had a small hole to get in when necessary.

nah, that makes a ton of sense. Poor Honda, Gief and Hugo would have gotten murdered even worse than they do now. Outside of projectile wars and grapplers, I can't really see it helping other matchups as much given other character's changes. All it did was hurt Sagat while giving grapplers a slightly longer glimpse of salvation before snatching it away in the form of a kick to the face.

I agree, there are a few characters that still struggle like DeeJay, Dan, Honda, Dhalsim, hell, I'd even throw Elena in there. I know Honda, Dhalsim and Elena are kind of hard to balance, as a few slight changes could make them really good. Deejay and Dan I feel are just bad because capcom wants them to be, lol.

I think Ryu, Goken and Oni are solid characters though. Oni and Gouken do huge damage when they earn it. Gouken can zone well and Oni has really good footsie tools and frame traps. Ryu is kind of decent at everything. I'd just make HP DP FADC a thing like it was in Vanilla and call it a day.

One thing I know for certain is that EX Quesadilla Bomb can't possibly stay the way it is. That move is beyond dumb.

DMAmul

Neo Member
I need to learn a new character - been playing Ryu since 2008 but I'm bored and for some reason I have a tough time picking up new characters because I just don't find them very fun.

Who should I try out?

kirblar

Sagat was top tier in Vanilla USF4 in arcades. He, Juri and Guile were extremely good because of how DWU buffed the neutral FB game. I believe Sagat had the most reps in the top 100 players out of anyone.
I need to learn a new character - been playing Ryu since 2008 but I'm bored and for some reason I have a tough time picking up new characters because I just don't find them very fun.

Who should I try out?
El Fuerte or T. Hawk.

Sheroking

AFAIC there are like three characters in this game who are unviable, and they are all somewhat better in an online environment. Even if they aren't the best, almost nobody in this game sucks. LSS: Whiners be whining.

mbpm1

AFAIC there are like three characters in this game who are unviable, and they are all somewhat better in an online environment. Even if they aren't the best, almost nobody in this game sucks. LSS: Whiners be whining.

Which three do you think those are?

Top Bottom