• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

cHaotix8

Honda is a super polarized character. His good matchups used to be really good and his bad ones were really bad. Now his bad matchups are still bad, while his good ones have gotten a ton more manageable for his opponents. They shouldn't have nerfed ex headbutt as hard as they did and could have done something to make EX Ochio throw useful.

Honda is a super polarized character. His good matchups used to be really good and his bad ones were really bad. Now his bad matchups are still bad, while his good ones have gotten a ton more manageable for his opponents. They shouldn't have nerfed ex headbutt as hard as they did and could have done something to make EX Ochio throw useful.

EX Headbutt was bullshit. I'm glad it's the way it is now.

Wiseblade

One thing I know for certain is that EX Quesadilla Bomb can't possibly stay the way it is. That move is beyond dumb.
I have a suspicion that you could be setting yourself up for disappointment. In earlier builds of Ultra, Capcom allowed EX Guacamole to grab grounded opponents. Giving the character a fearsome reversal was a deliberate choice.

The real issue is people being too slow to punish a move that's -14 on block. The most logical solution would be a reduction to Q-Bomb's pushback on block.

Sheroking

I have a suspicion that you could be setting yourself up for disappointment. In earlier builds of Ultra, Capcom allowed EX Guacamole to grab grounded opponents. Giving the character a fearsome reversal was a deliberate choice.

The real issue is people being too slow to punish a move that's -14 on block. The most logical solution would be a reduction to Q-Bomb's pushback on block.

At -17, reducing the pushback on Q-Bomb would make it almost punishable by everything. I think a lot of characters can already raw ultra it.

Bait it out, guys.

Nah, wasn't bullshit. -8 on block, uses a bar, no set-up potential. Honda is meant to be a defensive tank character and he has no way of safely getting people off him now, even by using resources. Characters who are regularly put into a situation where their only option is to block are unviable in this game. Hence, Dee Jay and Dhalsim.

If you want a bullshit move in SF4, that's Sakura's EX Tatsu. Plus on block, works as a frame trap, has projectile invincibility and she gets a free follow up (including ultra 2).

Wiseblade

At -17, reducing the pushback on Q-Bomb would make it almost punishable by everything. I think a lot of characters can already raw ultra it.

Bait it out, guys.

They can. Anyone with a special/ultra that moves them forward can punish it easily. The people complaining about Q-Bomb are largely the same people who fails to sweep a blocked Tostada Press.

Bait it out, guys.

The regular ones should probably be left alone, but I think the EX Q bomb should have its push back reduced. It's a true reversal and regardless of the start up I don't think any move that has tons of invincibility like the Q bomb does(it covers everything, hit, throws, fireballs) should require intelligence to punish. Meaning if I or anybody else blocks it, he should be right there in front of me so I can choose whatever punish I want. No need for Ultra or only getting 100 damage because I only have one move that will reach that far. In exchange I'd be fine if they reduce the recovery so it's only like -8 or so. Not like anything will happen but that's how I feel about it.

-8 on block ain't shit when you're pushed back as much as it does (or did, hahaha).

True, give me a move that's -1 second but on block it separates my opponent and I full screen. So if he has me cornered, blocked special = sends him all the way to the other side. But you can punish with it easily with moves like Honda's Ultra 1 :D

OK, I do think that was a little unfair for Honda. But I don't play Honda so I'll take it.

why do i insist on trying to squeeze ranked matches in before work in the mornings?
i beat the #2 yun convincingly (3.2k pp/12k+bp), then lose 3 straight to random-ass shit and drop like 300pp like that. what a salty commute to the office lol

cHaotix8

Q-Bomb is practically a faster, better EX Zonk Knuckle with more active frames. By itself I don't think it's bad but combined with his other options (ex run xx ultra, 4 frame ultra 2, backdash, ex guacamole, then throw delayed wakeup into the mix) it's really good. You can use it to blast through fireballs on reaction and get a knockdown in footsies. He's already a difficult character to pin down in general, for him to have such high damage and mixup potential too is a bit much. I've seen what he is capable of in the hands of a top player (Buktooth) in extended sets, and he was the one that brought up that it was too good.

Yeah, it was good but most characters could punish it just by baiting it out by jumping back and hitting him in recovery. The way it is now is kind of too bad. Honda was supposed to be a highly defensive character that was rewarded for annoying your opponent, but now he doesn't even do that well. It's not like he has sick mixups and setups, he's a straight forward character that you can beat by anti air and and zoning on the ground alone, styles that have been buffed a lot in Ultra.

Goliath

why do i insist on trying to squeeze ranked matches in before work in the mornings?
i beat the #2 yun convincingly (3.2k pp/12k+bp), then lose 3 straight to random-ass shit and drop like 300pp like that. what a salty commute to the office lol
Lol, I have felt like this before.

Onemic

I dunno about this talk of Elena being Honda tier. She seems like she'll be at least decent when they fix her hotbox issues.

Right now she definitely is. As for after the patch, it depends on if they fix her hitbox and CH issues or if they only fix her hurtbox. If it's just the latter she'll be an arguable case for worst character in the game. Who knows what capcom will do.

pls also fix her input overlaps capcom

cHaotix8

Mainly things like Guy elbow and Viper attacks completely whiffing on her crouch block and also her specials whiffing characters midcombo on hit.

All the new characters have issues in regard to their crouching hurtboxes, so I expect that to be looked into. I know EX mallet smash is sometimes iffy if you try to do it too close, and Lynx Tail/Scratch Wheel sometimes whiffs but that's about it. Even if those got fixed I still don't see her changing much.

Gambit61

All the new characters have issues in regard to their crouching hurtboxes, so I expect that to be looked into. I know EX mallet smash is sometimes iffy if you try to do it too close, and Lynx Tail/Scratch Wheel sometimes whiffs but that's about it. Even if those got fixed I still don't see her changing much.

Yeah, I hope Capcom has fixes for all these issues with next week's release. All the jank + bad online just makes me go back to playing TTT2.

reposting this for the lol http://a.pomf.se/gucfzn.webm

And my friend just sent me this supposed Decapre unblockable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gZvNwcoOjM

Please tell me that's not real lol

Onemic

What hitbox issues are people talking about with elena? EX mallet smash going over people?

- mk/hk lynx tail not comboing on hit often, easily whiffs after first 2 hits connect on hit/block on standing characters
- EX DP being a near worthless reversal as often only the first hit connects against crouchers(i.e. gouken)
- MK spin scythe not getting all hits on some crouching characters(i.e. cody) or whiffing completely after 2 hits on others
- b.hk not giving CH bonus nullifying much of its usefulness over s.hk for blowing up crouch techs

I still think she wont be that good even if these get fixed, it's just that the game wont punish you for making correct reads anymore.

stn

Is the pre-order costume pack being released on XBL worldwide as DLC? I want my wizard Rolento!!!

PC version too, getting that day one.

My only concern is that PC input timings are different from X360 and PS3.
Some guy on the SRK forums would have you believe that PS3 and PC timings are the same, with 360 being different...

But yeah, I'll be glad to finally be playing the same version as everyone else.

Onemic

Some guy on the SRK forums would have you believe that PS3 and PC timings are the same, with 360 being different...

But yeah, I'll be glad to finally be playing the same version as everyone else.

PC version does not have additional input lag like PS3 afaik. The 360 and PC version should be the same in terms of input lag.

PC version does not have additional input lag like PS3 afaik. The 360 and PC version should be the same in terms of input lag.
Oh, I know that. Some guy did this really unscientific video on it and... it was just embarrassing. Honestly with driver Vsync and a flip queue of 1 it feels faster than 360, but I never bothered testing it. It's easy enough to adjust anyway.

Swarna

Technically all versions have some degree of lag. PC's input lag is variable depending on whether you have vsync on or not and how much you set your max pre-rendered frames to in Nvidia settings (flip queue size in RadeonPro).

Don't trust me 100% on my broscience numbers but Vsync on in-game feels like PS3 or slower timing on my AMD card (I heard it's faster on Nvidia). When I use RadeonPro's Vsync instead with Flip Queue Size set to 1 (3 is the default) its either equal to or faster than 360 timing. Not sure where the arcade versions fit into this, though. My numbers may be off but the thing to be certain about is that max pre-rendered frames and vsync settings affect the timing.

Have they fixed the PC netcode issues yet? If not, I hope that gets fixed with Ultra.

No, and I doubt they'll do anything about it until Ultra atleast.

On the Steam forums it's been discussed that the netcode hasn't actually gotten worse but that the lack of proper port forwarding settings for both players in a match can lead to some janky fights. Apparently GFWL used to take care of that for you so the transition to Steamworks (which doesn't do that for you) makes it seem like a huge downgrade. I get flawless fights with people that I know have configured their routers properly but with randoms even in my own country it's a mixed bag. I really hope this is addressed in Ultra as I really can't expect that everyone is going to configure their routers for Steam P2P after reading a thread on the forums.

I haven't played a single online match in the PC version since USF4 was released digitally on console. The experience with GFWL had it's rough spots, but it was a pretty good experience overall. Hearing all the bad news about the PC version since moving to Steam is disappointing to hear. If it's at least as good as the Xbox version, I can live with that. If it's as bad as the PS3 version, I'm probably going to feel compelled to extend my subscription to Xbox Live.

Top Bottom