• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

DunpealD

Most of them are really bad or meh.

Gief looks quite good though, Boxer got dem sick sideburns giving me wolfkrone flashbacks, Honda looks acceptable and Guile's mask kinda reminds me of Manjimaru.

I wish Capcom would give Ryu a costume that's a little bit more flashier than his usual stuff.

All the new costume are posted at the bottom of this page

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sf4/product.html

Really not feeling most of those. Only Poison and Cammy seem interesting IMO.
Holy fuck, DeeJay's outfit is unspeakably awful. Just when I thought he as a [sorry excuse of a] character wasn't appalling enough already. Not one but two leagues above Viper's, Rose's, Chun-Li's, Abel's and Seth's terrible new alt costumes, even. How on earth was that design even approved of by anyone involved in its shameful creation?

I hope he gets nerfed into the ground moreso than he already is for Ultra's balance patch. DeeJay (and by extension his fans) cannot be redeemed.

Dang lots less good people playing ranked if some of these people I've played are top 500.
Or Ranked was never something worth taking serious in the first place. In any SFIV iteration.

funkypie

Banned
My gf got this with game with gold and I must say, fighting games are utter shit to play on a 360 pad.

it is nearly unplayable.

Holy fuck, DeeJay's outfit is unspeakably awful. Just when I thought he as a [sorry excuse of a] character wasn't appalling enough already. Not one but two leagues above Viper's, Rose's, Chun-Li's, Abel's and Seth's terrible new alt costumes, even. How on earth was that design even approved of by anyone involved in its shameful creation?

I hope he gets nerfed into the ground moreso than he already is for Ultra's balance patch. DeeJay (and by extension his fans) cannot be redeemed.

What happens when you're already in the ground though? Like 6ft into the ground? Can he get nerfed more?

Combofiend answer me pls

Reverend

Neo Member
I think you're missing the point here, guys. Capcom is intentionally releasing terrible costumes so we can save our money! Right? Oh god, please.

DunpealD

What happens when you're already in the ground though? Like 6ft into the ground? Can he get nerfed more?

Combofiend answer me pls

He will go through the ground and rises on the other side again higher than ever before. The S-Tier DeeJay.

So USF4 has been out for close to 2 months. What's the impression so far?

For example new mechanics like DWU, RFADC, Red Focus and W Ultra. Or overall changes in matchups and netcode.

The raw Red Focus seems to be the least useful mechanic so far.

I don't understand why characters that can utilize Red focus and XRF have more damage on theirs but a character with a shit focus attack and almost no good ways to exRF does less damage.

What I'm saying is;

Yun full red focus = 210 Damage.

Rose full red focus = 180 Damage.

Why isn't this consistent? Is it because vagina tax?

stn

So USF4 has been out for close to 2 months. What's the impression so far?
IMO...

-DWU is not good, makes the game even more defensive
-Red focus is amazing for combos
-Raw red focus isn't too useful
-Character balance changes need work (Rolento, Elena, Hugo, Dee-Jay, Sagat, Akuma, etc...)
-Tons of glitches and hit-box issues

Overall I'd give USF4 a 6/10. It still feels like a beta test.

hitsugi

I don't understand why characters that can utilize Red focus and XRF have more damage on theirs but a character with a shit focus attack and almost no good ways to exRF does less damage.

What I'm saying is;

Yun full red focus = 210 Damage.

Rose full red focus = 180 Damage.

Why isn't this consistent? Is it because vagina tax?

uh, different characters do different amounts of damage?

uh, different characters do different amounts of damage?

Oh shit really?
kttcolikrs
kttcolikrs
kttcolikrs

Really though, what I'm saying is that characters with really good focus attacks getting the max damage and characters with really bad focus attacks getting below max damage is just backwards to me.

Hyun Sai

Well, you're talking about people who nerfed a character already low tiers, so I think you can throw logic out of the equation.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Still can't get over those new costumes.

This is a joke, right? They're not really releasing those, right?

RIGHT?

dead.png

Reverend

Neo Member
Oh shit really?
kttcolikrs
kttcolikrs
kttcolikrs

Really though, what I'm saying is that characters with really good focus attacks getting the max damage and characters with really bad focus attacks getting below max damage is just backwards to me.

It's a system that benefits some characters an order of magnitude more than others. It's inherently an unbalanced system mechanic in terms of gameplan. That being said, I'd say the crumple is the more important aspect of red focus, which is a universal factor.

It's a system that benefits some characters an order of magnitude more than others. It's inherently an unbalanced system mechanic in terms of gameplan. That being said, I'd say the crumple is the more important aspect of red focus, which is a universal factor.

Yea the exCrumple feature is a much bigger factor, but when you can end a match with a character than can do tons of meter less damage and by using a full red focus, its definitely worth it.

First person I saw really utilizing a full level 3 red focus when the other person is stunned was Kazunoko. Made me realize that shit does tons of damage. It's like 210 + Whatever meter less combo Yun can come up with.. which is almost everything lol.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
IMO...

-DWU is not good, makes the game even more defensive
-Red focus is amazing for combos
-Raw red focus isn't too useful
-Character balance changes need work (Rolento, Elena, Hugo, Dee-Jay, Sagat, Akuma, etc...)
-Tons of glitches and hit-box issues

Overall I'd give USF4 a 6/10. It still feels like a beta test.

"Even more defensive" like it was a defense oriented game before?

Or Ranked was never something worth taking serious in the first place. In any SFIV iteration.

I've never played dudes in ranked who were top 500 pp who weren't super good compared to me.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
You know, I harbor a just-under-the-surface contempt for this game most of the time and things like this just make it worse. Garish garbage. Smh.

I think it affects the tone of the game too. I mean a few funny costumes are ok, dan blanka .plumber rolento etc..but when you get these joke costumes instead of something actually well designed and cool its super disappointing. With a few exceptions (bad as yellow suit fei, aztec warrior t hawk) i think majority of the alts old and new are pretty bad. Who the fuck saw sagat with a wig and said 'yeah that looks good'?

stn

IV always had strong defensive elements. The vortex was so good because it was usually the only viable way of opening characters up. Crouch tech, focus attack, invincible back-dashes, FADC'ing to safety, and things like that made it hard for characters to get damage. Vanilla was different because the damage was high.

IV always had strong defensive elements. The vortex was so good because it was usually the only viable way of opening characters up. Crouch tech, focus attack, invincible back-dashes, FADC'ing to safety, and things like that made it hard for characters to get damage. Vanilla was different because the damage was high.
And large reversal frame window to the point where you can mash out your reversal.

xCobalt

Anyone wanna play on XBL?

I got some new silent buttons thanks to Vulva. It's gonna take a little getting used to but I so far its pretty good. Obviously its quieter but its a different sensation compared to regular buttons.

Onemic

Aside from Vioer, Chun, and Rose most of the costumes look pretty good.

I love Dudleys. Looks like he's trying to put on his best impression of Carlton Banks.

I think it affects the tone of the game too. I mean a few funny costumes are ok, dan blanka .plumber rolento etc..but when you get these joke costumes instead of something actually well designed and cool its super disappointing. With a few exceptions (bad as yellow suit fei, aztec warrior t hawk) i think majority of the alts old and new are pretty bad. Who the fuck saw sagat with a wig and said 'yeah that looks good'?

Sagat with a wig is supposed to be reminiscent of Adon, which is why he has his bandanna-thing.

DunpealD

Sagat with a wig is supposed to be reminiscent of Adon, which is why he has his bandanna-thing.

Sagat with wig is a sacrilege... not to forget that pesky Blanka alt and ganguro Sakura *shudders*. In general most of the costumes are really bad with a few exceptions. The only thing USF4 needs for full bad are neon colors.

Going to agree with the plumber Rolento. That costume is amazing.

So hypothetically speaking who would you guys use if Edition Select were standard?

Sagat with wig is a sacrilege... not to forget that pesky Blanka alt and ganguro Sakura *shudders*. In general most of the costumes are really bad with a few exceptions. The only thing USF4 needs for full bad are neon colors.

So hypothetically speaking who would you guys use if Edition Select were standard?

AE Yun

Wiseblade

A tossup between 2012/Ultra Fuerte. 180 Damage Fajita and good Q Bombs vs a corpse-hopping shower kick and killing delayed wakeup.

Sayad

You sure?

I always play PC/PS3 SF with a DS4 and I haven't had too much trouble doing circular motions. I'll check again once I'm home.
Oh, then there might be something wrong with my DS4! By the way, I was using it through bluetooth, not wired connection.

StewboaT_

Anyone tried to play this game with a DS4? When I did few days ago, the diagonal inputs couldn't be pressed on the d-pad, so you can't block down, jump forward/backward or do any move with circular motions!!

It's a glitch with the wireless. Plug it in to the ps3 and you're golden.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The Guile one looks cool to me. Back in the day I rocked the tactical outfit.

guile.jpg

It's totally a D. Dark rip-off, which is weird because that's an Arika character character...it's like they're asking to be hit with copy infringement!

Raytow

Can't fucking wait until the 8th of August, us pc gamers are third class citizens for Crapcom, also those DLC suits are fugly, all of them.

Super Adon with that tournament winning wakeup speed.

Anyone tried to play this game with a DS4? When I did few days ago, the diagonal inputs couldn't be pressed on the d-pad, so you can't block down, jump forward/backward or do any move with circular motions!!

Finally tried using my DS4 on PC for steam. Headed right for trial mode and completed Cammy, Hakan and Sagat's trials more easily than I thought. I'd always had trouble with the DS3 compared to the 360 pad I used to use but the DS4's dpad feels great.

I have trouble with kara throws and piano-type modes on pad, though. Not that that's specific to DS4.

Top Bottom