• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

No, and I doubt they'll do anything about it until Ultra atleast.

On the Steam forums it's been discussed that the netcode hasn't actually gotten worse but that the lack of proper port forwarding settings for both players in a match can lead to some janky fights. Apparently GFWL used to take care of that for you so the transition to Steamworks (which doesn't do that for you) makes it seem like a huge downgrade. I get flawless fights with people that I know have configured their routers properly but with randoms even in my own country it's a mixed bag. I really hope this is addressed in Ultra as I really can't expect that everyone is going to configure their routers for Steam P2P after reading a thread on the forums.
I'll have to look into this some. I don't forward anything unless it absolutely doesn't work otherwise, and I think this fits that description more often than not...

Renekton

The other thing I get a lot on GFWL/Steam are matches with opponents using toasters.

At least with consoles, every person has the same piece of hardware.

The other thing I get a lot on GFWL/Steam are matches with opponents using toasters.

At least with consoles, every person has the same piece of hardware.
I've had people tell me that I'm using a toaster and dump out of the lobby every so often since the game seems to forget what my benchmark was and default me to E again (I usually just do Arcade fight request, which doesn't make you redo it).

Nyoro SF

I haven't played a single online match in the PC version since USF4 was released digitally on console. The experience with GFWL had it's rough spots, but it was a pretty good experience overall. Hearing all the bad news about the PC version since moving to Steam is disappointing to hear. If it's at least as good as the Xbox version, I can live with that. If it's as bad as the PS3 version, I'm probably going to feel compelled to extend my subscription to Xbox Live.

I'm not gonna touch the PC version until the netcode is fixed, that's for sure.

I know a lot of you talking about the net code. After this last generation, what 3D game had good net code?

Killer Instinct looks okay. Waiting to see how Xrd does.

alstein

I know a lot of you talking about the net code. After this last generation, what 3D game had good net code?

Killer Instinct looks okay. Waiting to see how Xrd does.

TTT2/SC5 had solid netcode.

VF's was good on 360. (and slightly better than AE on PS3)

I'm fairly confident that Ultra PC netcode will be not worse than PSN, though PSN I consider bad.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I just double golden lettered a 3k hugo player. With yang. I can now retire from this game and with confidence stake my claim at 'the bess' title.

You may applaud.

DunpealD

What's wrong with Gouken?

I think the problem with Gouken is, while he has relatively good zoning in terms of screen fill. He has a lot hard reads to make and is meter hungry. A misplaced projectile at jump in range can net you a high damage punish due to jump in, especially against Evil Ryu or positional disadvantage like Yun. His closeup defense is quite weak and consists only of counter(preferably ex) or ex-tatsu. I can see him having trouble against offensive characters who can get in before he builds bars like Yun/Cammy/Dudley , big damage dealers like E. Ryu or characters like Rose who can dominate the zoning game and got comparatively better mid range normals.

Most of his buttons are not that good in close-mid range(sweep is very good but can obviously be focused, c.mp into hadoken is not a real block string). Gouken also has no good combos with his c.lp, which means he's dependent on his hadoken zoning and divekick setup and lacks good 2-hit attacks or focus breakers. The c.mp buff is quite good, but needs 2 bars to turn it into a combo and the range on that isn't that good either.
Also there's DWU now which means his mid range gameplan knockdown with sweep and pressure with follow up, the prime opener for big damage, has gotten weakened too.

Gouken really seems like an odd duck. As cHaotix8 mentioned he does have good damage(about 400 with 1 ex). But, those are done with divekick/jump ins or a hit confirmed hadoken fadc which costs 3 bars.

To be fair, I don't know how good Gouken actually is in highest level play, since Veloc1raptor is the only established Gouken player and has a relatively small opponent pool so far. While talking about Veloc1raptor here's a link to the match between

Veloc1raptor vs. Infiltration at EVO2014.

nah, that makes a ton of sense. Poor Honda, Gief and Hugo would have gotten murdered even worse than they do now. Outside of projectile wars and grapplers, I can't really see it helping other matchups as much given other character's changes. All it did was hurt Sagat while giving grapplers a slightly longer glimpse of salvation before snatching it away in the form of a kick to the face.

I really don't see how the fireball nerf helps the bad matchups as you mentioned in the big picture. It looks to me that those characters actually need buffs rather than Sagat getting nerfs and hurting him a lot more overall than helping the other characters.

I agree, there are a few characters that still struggle like DeeJay, Dan, Honda, Dhalsim, hell, I'd even throw Elena in there. I know Honda, Dhalsim and Elena are kind of hard to balance, as a few slight changes could make them really good. Deejay and Dan I feel are just bad because capcom wants them to be, lol.

I think Ryu, Goken and Oni are solid characters though. Oni and Gouken do huge damage when they earn it. Gouken can zone well and Oni has really good footsie tools and frame traps. Ryu is kind of decent at everything. I'd just make HP DP FADC a thing like it was in Vanilla and call it a day.

One thing I know for certain is that EX Quesadilla Bomb can't possibly stay the way it is. That move is beyond dumb.

In terms of Dan I think Ixion did made a good argument about his standing HK. While the buff is good it hurt his ambiguous cross up game. I find it sad that Capcom actually are making characters bad and wasting their time and money in creating slot wasters.

I have to agree on the Ryu buff, but in addition to that I'd like to see them(Dan/Ryu) getting their DP FADC frames back since neither really profit from red focus. Adding the vanilla HP DP FADC to the j.mp into tatsu buff sounds a lot better that's what's currently offered giving him more damage in defensive play.

Now onto some interesting tidbits about Evil Ryu from Air's Blog.

Since Evil Ryu’s fireball is -7 on block, and his cr.mk into fireball is a true poke string which is good in general because of guaranteed chip damage, but in the listed match ups, it is not an advantage in those match ups because it is punishable on block any where in the screen unless you space it perfectly at the max distance. The flaw with his cr.mk > fireball is that with cr.mk you cannot NOT inch forward when you perform the kick and that what makes it a true poke string. On top of that, if you want to make it as a true poke string, you have to commit into the fireball right when you press cr.mk, and that’s all where the damage comes from of Evil Ryu.

More at the blog.

alstein

The question is what does Honda need to be good?

I'd buff his ultras- U1 with a bigger vertical hitbox and U2 being instant.

Crazier idea- let EX headbutt beat fireballs, that helps with his bad matchups and doesn't help with most of his good ones. If that's too much, give it to EX hands instead.

DunpealD

The question is what does Honda need to be good?

I'd buff his ultras- U1 with a bigger vertical hitbox and U2 being instant.

Crazier idea- let EX headbutt beat fireballs, that helps with his bad matchups and doesn't help with most of his good ones. If that's too much, give it to EX hands instead.

I'd look at his worst matchups and see what the issues are.

alstein

I'd look at his worst matchups and see what the issues are.

His issues are largely getting in on heavy zoning characters, crap ultras, and poor wakeup options.

And forgive Beef, he's a Hawk player, he has trauma from years of Hawk/Honda being a stupidly broken matchup in Honda's favor.

DunpealD

His issues are largely getting in on heavy zoning characters, crap ultras, and poor wakeup options.

And forgive Beef, he's a Hawk player, he has trauma from years of Hawk/Honda being a stupidly broken matchup in Honda's favor.

How's the Hawk/Honda matchup nowadays and how's the matchup Hawk/Dictator? At SDCC I heard Combofiend and Mike Ross saying that it was a really bad matchup.

GG again xCobalt, here is my assessment of my play from our long set. You were bodying me the first 7 games because I went in with my typical mindset and just tried to rush Gouken down like I always do. This gets me killed a lot but I keep doing it anyways. At some point I was able to actually strategize how to beat you and it was a combination of patience, taking more risk(basically my scrubby DP's), and using re-realizing I have a hop kick that beats lows. After that I think we were close to even.

Trust me the salt was real in the first 7 games. I was raging a little and blaming everything from the match up to your play style. Basically the "why would someone even do this" kind of stuff lol. Don't take it the wrong way, that's just my angry talk so I blame everything including myself. My execution was terrible, but I think that's because I'm wearing a wrist brace right now because my wrist hurts. But anyways, GG again.

Laconic

Banned
- mk/hk lynx tail not comboing on hit often, easily whiffs after first 2 hits connect on hit/block on standing characters
- EX DP being a near worthless reversal as often only the first hit connects against crouchers(i.e. gouken)
- MK spin scythe not getting all hits on some crouching characters(i.e. cody) or whiffing completely after 2 hits on others
- b.hk not giving CH bonus nullifying much of its usefulness over s.hk for blowing up crouch techs

I still think she wont be that good even if these get fixed, it's just that the game wont punish you for making correct reads anymore.

So then.

Elena turned out pretty much exactly as I said she would, did she not?

As a fellow fan of Elena, this is not a brag-post.

xCobalt

GG again xCobalt, here is my assessment of my play from our long set. You were bodying me the first 7 games because I went in with my typical mindset and just tried to rush Gouken down like I always do. This gets me killed a lot but I keep doing it anyways. At some point I was able to actually strategize how to beat you and it was a combination of patience, taking more risk(basically my scrubby DP's), and using re-realizing I have a hop kick that beats lows. After that I think we were close to even.

Trust me the salt was real in the first 7 games. I was raging a little and blaming everything from the match up to your play style. Basically the "why would someone even do this" kind of stuff lol. Don't take it the wrong way, that's just my angry talk so I blame everything including myself. My execution was terrible, but I think that's because I'm wearing a wrist brace right now because my wrist hurts. But anyways, GG again.

Lol its all good. I had fun. The pace definitely slowed down towards the end as you got more patient.

Coda

Have they fixed the PC netcode issues yet? If not, I hope that gets fixed with Ultra.

I can't even play the game on PC right now. It's weird. The screen just goes black for a second then goes back to the desktop when I launch it. I tried reinstalling it but with no dice.

Sheroking

Give EX Headbutt it's push back again (stupidest nerf in Ultra), give his Ultra 2 0 frame start-up (any command grab Ultra you can jump out of is 100% useless), extend the hands hitbox a little bit (so a hand doesn't whiff on some characters and lead to a punish) and a general damage buff to his normals.

That's literally what it'd take to make Honda viable again IMO. He was bad in AE and AE 2012, he's just sad now.

Wiseblade

- Reduce pushback on all versions of Quesadilla bomb slightly, just enough so that the cast can sweep it on block. - I'm just putting this here so that the things I'm about to type seem reasonable. I don't even think this is necessary.

*Make Gordita Sobat hit twice and increase the overall damage of the move to 100. - As it stands, Gordita Sobat is easily the worst run option. Slow startup and recovery times make it Focus Attack fodder, ruining its only upside of being +2 on block /+6 on hit. Giving it the ability to break a standard focus attack and bringing the damage in line with Tostada Press/Calamari slide give fuerte another legitimate option off a run and the first step to a pressure game worth mentioning.

*Reduce the startup of Fuerte's st.lk to 3 frames, but remove the ability to cancel special moves off of it. - this would be the second step to giving Fuerte a terrifying pressure game. It would turn even the existing Sobat into Fuerte's own step kick, allowing him to harass the opponent on block or on hit. With the sobat listed above, it would be hell on earth.

*Redistribute the damage on Ultra Spark so that the majority of damage is dealt in the final hit. - I want 100 in the spinning part and 350 in the crunch. Maybe then people'll give the move an appropriate level of fear and respect.

Dubz

PC GAF. I ask for games all the time, but no one wants to run against the lower mid tier god of online.

Steam ID = Moon Wizard

I just checked and their is no USF4 on PS Now yet? That's kind of unfortunate because I wanted to test a couple of things. First I just wanted to see how bad the input lag would be playing this game via streaming compared to having the actual game running off my own hardware. And secondly I just wanted to do a test stream on my PS4 for fun to see how good it would work.

I wouldn't have played myself though. I wanted to ask for some PSN GAF volunteers to hop on and play in a lobby I would create for it for an hour or two just to see how smooth it would be. PSN is laggy for a lot people regardless, but I just wanted to see if me hosting and streaming it from PS Now would make a difference over the normal way of hosting a lobby.

Seik

Banned
My coworkers were really annoyed how there's no version of Street Fighter on PS4 earlier today at work.

I'm pretty sure there will be a PS4 version, they just need to get the PS3 retail version out first.

I guess that releasing a PS4 version later will get more people to buy the same thing again, like...me.

Anyone down for some matches on PC? Been expanding my group of PC SFIV players lately and its reinvigorated what was once a mostly solitary experience for me. Feels weirdly like pokemon with every new friend i get lol. Anyway Steam ID is crapmonkey. My skill level is about average what you find online.

Onemic

So then.

Elena turned out pretty much exactly as I said she would, did she not?

As a fellow fan of Elena, this is not a brag-post.

unfortunately ;_;

Elena dream changes:

st.lk +1 on block instead of -1
c.lk +4 on hit instead of +3 on block +1 instead of 0
f.mp +4 on hit instead of +3
s.hp hitbox expanded downward greatly OR cr.HP special cancellable
EX Mallet Smash -2 on block instead of -4
EX Rhino Horn hits crouchers
All versions of Mallet Smash have a slightly smaller hurtbox during airborne frames
EX Scratch Wheel strike invincibility reduced 7f>5f
L/M/H Scratch Wheel strike invincibility 0f>3f

There are tweaks that also need to be made to the PC version. Switching ProcessingThread to OFF in the ini in particular helps with the rapid fire WAITING FOR OTHER PLAYER messages, but a lot of people don't realize that and kick other people, thinking they're laggy when it's actually their video settings.

Does anyone play endless on PC? Ranked match makes me worse at the game, but it's the only place where it doesn't take 2-5 minutes to get a match.

Fantasmo

crapmonkey I added you. My current Steam name is Barbara Streisand, I change it often just remember the Bionic Commando avatar and you'll find me.

There are tweaks that also need to be made to the PC version. Switching ProcessingThread to OFF in the ini in particular helps with the rapid fire WAITING FOR OTHER PLAYER messages, but a lot of people don't realize that and kick other people, thinking they're laggy when it's actually their video settings.

Does anyone play endless on PC? Ranked match makes me worse at the game, but it's the only place where it doesn't take 2-5 minutes to get a match.

I prefer endless battle. Add me.
Also, where's that ini file and what's its name so I can change it.

To anyone who adds me, I'm pretty average and most of the time I like to switch between lots of different characters. Keeps the game fresh for me.

Bog

Junior Ace
- Reduce pushback on all versions of Quesadilla bomb slightly, just enough so that the cast can sweep it on block. - I'm just putting this here so that the things I'm about to type seem reasonable. I don't even think this is necessary.

*Make Gordita Sobat hit twice and increase the overall damage of the move to 100. - As it stands, Gordita Sobat is easily the worst run option. Slow startup and recovery times make it Focus Attack fodder, ruining its only upside of being +2 on block /+6 on hit. Giving it the ability to break a standard focus attack and bringing the damage in line with Tostada Press/Calamari slide give fuerte another legitimate option off a run and the first step to a pressure game worth mentioning.

*Reduce the startup of Fuerte's st.lk to 3 frames, but remove the ability to cancel special moves off of it. - this would be the second step to giving Fuerte a terrifying pressure game. It would turn even the existing Sobat into Fuerte's own step kick, allowing him to harass the opponent on block or on hit. With the sobat listed above, it would be hell on earth.

*Redistribute the damage on Ultra Spark so that the majority of damage is dealt in the final hit. - I want 100 in the spinning part and 350 in the crunch. Maybe then people'll give the move an appropriate level of fear and respect.

I agree almost 100% with this. But 350 in the crunch? Dude, that's just asking for trouble.

Onemic

Thanks for the games! And the connection was surprisingly okay despite you being a country away. Fighting Elena is fun.

yup, are you east coast?

One thing I did notice during our sets was that you didnt AA any of my jumpins, not that I even jumpin much with her but still lol

Myn

yup, are you east coast?

One thing I did notice during our sets was that you didnt AA any of my jumpins, not that I even jumpin much with her but still lol

West coast actually in Norcal.

And yeah. :( My reactions when it comes to anti-air or air to air isn't that great.

Korezo

So anyone know if the ps3/ps4 ussf4 stick drops with retail game? I need a new stick since I sold all my old hardware. I really want to play soon with PC release.

Onemic

West coast actually in Norcal.

And yeah. :( My reactions when it comes to anti-air or air to air isn't that great.

Wow, that's the first playable WC connection I've ever had in ultra so far. I'm in Toronto so EC.

Just try doing sets with people with the only goal being to AA them as many times as possible. I'm still not at the point where I can AA on reaction to everything but its improved substantially since I started doing this.

Also, a tip when Fighting Elena as Ryu/any shoto, Only use his reversal when you have a read or can FADC backdash to safety. If you didn't notice the times I baited you I was able to punish your DP for almost 400 dmg with only a bar.

Fantasmo

I can't decide between the Ultra upgrade or the full version.

$15 extra for a bunch of costumes isn't worth it, but I know me and I'll end up wanting to cave after I've upgraded, when it'll probably be something crazy like $60 for all the costumes. But I only play SF4 every so often, so it's a little silly to go full.

Decisions decisions.

Anyone run into this bug on Steamworks version of SSF4:AE? PC version you can press start at the versus screen to skip all the loading, but in arcade mode by the 4th match when i press start to skip, my start becomes the second player start button.

PS:playing arcade mode for achievement...

alstein

I can't decide between the Ultra upgrade or the full version.

$15 extra for a bunch of costumes isn't worth it, but I know me and I'll end up wanting to cave after I've upgraded, when it'll probably be something crazy like $60 for all the costumes. But I only play SF4 every so often, so it's a little silly to go full.

Decisions decisions.

Wait for Steam sales on the DLC? You'll probably see one in the Winter for at least 25%.

crapmonkey I added you. My current Steam name is Barbara Streisand, I change it often just remember the Bionic Commando avatar and you'll find me.

I prefer endless battle. Add me.
Also, where's that ini file and what's its name so I can change it.

To anyone who adds me, I'm pretty average and most of the time I like to switch between lots of different characters. Keeps the game fresh for me.

Documents - Capcom - SUPERSTREETFIGHTERIV

I don't know how to find your name in Steam, though.

Top Bottom